Such a contrast between Eagle and Ram handling of their rookie QB's...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or.

They said they were gonna bring him along slowly, and they're staying true to their word.

Nothing to see here.

This.

And I would also add that had we played the Browns at home followed by the Bears with 8 days to prepare.....we'd be 2-0 with Goff starting.

Whatever we think of the Niners, playing a road Monday nighter where there'd be a hostel crowd is not exactly conducive to success for a rookie QB. With our road heavy schedule concluding with a game in London, I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher was planning on starting Goff after the bye regardless of how the season unfolds (unless of course Keenum is lighting it up by then).

JerseyRam1

Rookie
cswnlckukaa77eo.jpg

Just read this in Business Insider for what its worth

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
View attachment 16519
I see only 2 possibilities to explain this current rookie QB state of affairs.

1) S&F picked the wrong QB. If so, this will be a career killing decision for both. Unless it is learned that Fisher is the one that insisted on Goff over the recommendations of Snead. In that case, only Fisher's career would be destroyed while Snead's would still be damaged. There is no greater personnel mistake than picking the wrong QB at #1 overall.

2) The coaching and prep by the Rams for Goff is hopelessly inferior to that of the Eagle coaching staff for Wentz. I'm leaning in this direction, myself. Fisher does not have a stellar record of selecting and quickly developing skill position players on O.

Neither of the above two alternatives is reassuring to me. How about you?

Like I said. I'm frustrated...

Honestly not even close to the only 2 options.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I agree with the options of 1 and 2 but I would add 3. the possibility of an unnecessarily complicated system of calling plays. For someone that has never called plays to be thrust into this madness is maddening. But Goff supposedly has a photographic memory so I don't know.

Im not attacking you here so please dont take this the wrong way, not meant at you just in general. I cant buy a complicated system of calling plays because this offense is high school level after two weeks. This is the part that frustrates me is they are running a high school level offense with twin pairs and everything yet Goff is not ready.....makes no sense.

That being said, you have a point on the "unnecassarily complicated calling of plays". How complicated can these calls be? They are running 5 yard routes. I have barely seen 3 receivers on the field at the same time.

How hard is it to call split pair, dive left on 1....ready break!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'd like to know what the players think. Would they play as hard if they decided to start Goff? Or think, Oh,crap, there goes the season, why bust azz for a losing season. I'm pretty sure there would be players advocating for both Keenum and Goff.
It really comes down to a difference in philosophy on how to bring along a rookie QB. Not to long ago it was no big deal to sit a 1st round QB for a year.
Had the Rams started Goff day one, he could very well have been very good. We'll never know. Fisher's "ready" and 'Peterson's "ready" may very well be too completely different views.
I think it comes down to what Fisher estimates which QB gives them the best chance to win. I'm OK with Goff not starting, and I don't think Keenum is as bad as some think. He's a good game manager and doesn't turn the ball over ( the main reason I think Fisher isn't starting Goff).

Bruce2980

Starter
Im not attacking you here so please dont take this the wrong way, not meant at you just in general. I cant buy a complicated system of calling plays because this offense is high school level after two weeks. This is the part that frustrates me is they are running a high school level offense with twin pairs and everything yet Goff is not ready.....makes no sense.

That being said, you have a point on the "unnecassarily complicated calling of plays". How complicated can these calls be? They are running 5 yard routes. I have barely seen 3 receivers on the field at the same time.

How hard is it to call split pair, dive left on 1....ready break!
Right, but when the play call takes five minutes to communicate that can be a problem, especially when other teams have much more complicated plays and much less complicated ways of communicating those plays.

Athos

Legend
Look at the years of real QBing, and QB coaching, and OC or understudy OC by the Eagles.

So much offensive experience and knowledge.

They know exactly what they're doing. And they look damned smart so far.

They'll likely use what they got from the Queens to bolster the guys around Wentz.

I liked both QBs but I liked Goff as. Passer better. I've no doubt Goff would be up to speed faster with the Iggles.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, let me just say, I know for a Fact @Mojo Ram and @-X- wanted Wentz too!! We all had our Good and Valid reasons too!
There were quite a few of us that liked Wentz, but we drafted Goff, so I am rooting big time for him. Someone compared their coaching staff to ours in regards to experience in training QBs and it wasn't close. It was clear from the start that Wentz would be game ready a lot sooner due to his college experience, so we should hold off on the comparisons for a while longer before pass judgement.

Athos

Legend
After 2 games? Did you watch last night, all Carson did was dink and dunk with the occasional mid range throw. Nothing special. Besides, all reports were that Carson was more pro ready anyway, but Jared had huge potential.

Sam Bradford had his best years under Jeff Fisher. In 2012 and 2013 pre-ACL.

Lol, Whut? "Captain check down" 2.0 has 468 yards on the season with 3TDs. Would be four if Matthews didn't drop half of what he gets targeted for.

Wentz would also have about 60+ yards more alone from last night with that TD drop and numerous intermediate passes of 20+ yards wiped out by his center.

I'll wait for the "but not real D" comments again, but then, why not start Goff against the Bucs?

If Austin Davis can go from teaching at a school to winning a few FB games, I dunno why Goff can't. Oh wait. Yes I do.

And Sam had his best years with Fisher? Kind of a logical fallacy when SAMs previous coach was Spags.

And he looked better under Kelly and now with the Queens.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Really? That deep pass that was dropped by Matthews could not have been thrown any better. I think you're seeing only what you want to see really. Being a qb is more than just throwing the ball. He has to to be a field general that takes control of the offense. He has to recognize what the defense is showing and make changes at the LOS. He has to command the respect of his teammates. Carson is showing that he has all of that, and has it in spades. If you're not seeing anything special out of him while watching him play, then you're clearly in the minority with that opinion. Guy looks nothing like a rookie out there. Only rookie he reminds me of is a young Elway.

See the link and my response below.

Lol, Whut? "Captain check down" 2.0 has 468 yards on the season with 3TDs. Would be four if Matthews didn't drop half of what he gets targeted for.

Here's every Carson Wentz play, conviently located on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20160...d:0ap3000000706283&tab=videos&recap=fullstory

Majority are dinks and/or dunks. Including his TD pass. Yes, he played well, no denying that. He was accurate and made the completions. They were also majority quick, high % completions. Did he really dissect the defense, scan the field, etc? Maybe, but it didn't look like that. That'll come in time for him.

I'll wait for the "but not real D" comments again, but then, why not start Goff against the Bucs?

You're the one that brought up defense. Not me.

If Austin Davis can go from teaching at a school to winning a few FB games, I dunno why Goff can't. Oh wait. Yes I do.

Austin Davis? Turnover machine. And you're right, the team still won games with him. You don't think Jeff Fisher had anything to do with that? That's what the whole point of this topic is, right, that Jeff Fisher can't develop QB bullshit? People point to the records, but sometimes the QB limits you, as in Austin Davis, Kellen Clemmons, or Shaun Hill.

And Sam had his best years with Fisher?

Yup. 35 TDs, 17 INTs.

And he looked better under Kelly and now with the Queens.

Not really with Chip Kelly. It was roughly the same production vs. Sam's last full season in 2012. Who knows how 2013 might have really ended up, I just know it was on its way to being better than 2012.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
People need to relax, remember his 2-0 start ranks up there with Mark Sanchez and Ryan Leaf as successful rookie starters. If he plays great thus year, he match the success of Rick Meier and RGIII.

Point is that it is early for both of them. Wentz will likely be a good QB, but so will Goff. I think the big issue right now, the Rams only have one outside WR, and maybe only one pure WR, since Austin is more of Gadget guy. So once Spruce and Cooper are back, it will be a better situation for Goff to step in.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I little birdie told me that they are going to hold off on starting Goff until the new stadium is opened and the new uniforms are finally announced. :mrburnsevil:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I little birdie told me that they are going to hold off on starting Goff until the new stadium is opened and the new uniforms are finally announced. :mrburnsevil:
"RIIIIIIGHT!!":mrburnsevil: Have another one, on me!!
drunk-smiley-emoticon.gif

Drinking.gif

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
View attachment 16519

Just read this in Business Insider for what its worth

I guess they are just leaving out the part about Chris Weinke being a Heisman Trophy winning College QB? Nah, they wouldn't do that just to throw more shade on his coaching situation.

Or teaming up with John Madden to form the IMG academy.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
can't they BOTH be good?....I wanted Wentz, but I believe Goff will be good...perhaps a bit more fragile.

FRO

Legend
Or.

They said they were gonna bring him along slowly, and they're staying true to their word.

Nothing to see here.
I agree they were always going to bring him around slowly, but I wouldn't necessarily say that there is nothing to see. The long term success for spread QBs in the NFL is troubling. Now Fisher may say instead of turning Goff into RGIII, let's fix his problems in practice, then put him on the field as opposed to put him on the field and play to his strengths and never fix his weaknesses cause by the college spread offense.

It's always nerve racking drafting a spread QB, because the NFL game is so different and no matter how much arm talent you have, if you can't read the field or grasp complex concepts, you won't amount to much. So until Goff hits the field you can't really judge him or compare him because I believe Fisher was always going to bring him along slowly.

I'm also concerned that he doesn't fit the ground and pound Fisher conservaball. I think Wentz fit that profile much better. I wonder if Goff will ever fit this offense.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Curious to see how Wentz does after week 9. That's when defenses can easily exploit a simplified playbook. Regardless, Fisher, Boras, and Weinke failed put Goff in a position to succeed as a QB in this early part of the season

KDS73

Rookie
See the link and my response below.

Sorry, but your link failed to address any of this:

Really? That deep pass that was dropped by Matthews could not have been thrown any better. I think you're seeing only what you want to see really. Being a qb is more than just throwing the ball. He has to to be a field general that takes control of the offense. He has to recognize what the defense is showing and make changes at the LOS. He has to command the respect of his teammates. Carson is showing that he has all of that, and has it in spades. If you're not seeing anything special out of him while watching him play, then you're clearly in the minority with that opinion. Guy looks nothing like a rookie out there. Only rookie he reminds me of is a young Elway.

Wentz has already proven that he's accurate from both short and long range, so I don't why it even matters to you that most of his passes were short for this game. Whatever their game plan was, it worked