Such a contrast between Eagle and Ram handling of their rookie QB's...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Had the Rams drafted Wentz and the Eagles drafted Goff, Wentz would be the one sitting on the bench in LA and Goff getting the starts and Raves in Philly.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Had the Rams drafted Wentz and the Eagles drafted Goff, Wentz would be the one sitting on the bench in LA and Goff getting the starts and Raves in Philly.
I disagree, if Wentz were on the rams he would have taken this offense by the horns and would have been the season starter. Goff is obviously learning the offense slowly. There is something sad about the fact that 4 rookie qbs will start before the number 1 overall will. Those 4 guys regardless of the circumstances that they are starting are deemed mentally ready enough to start otherwise they would not be playing.

Last edited:

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is fine. I'm not particularly fond of our coaching staff these days myself.

But there is a HUGE difference between playing the Browns at home to start the year and then having 8 days to prepare for a road game against a subpar opponent, versus playing a late Monday night road game against a division rival and then having 6 days to prepare for one of the best teams in the NFL.

I personally think we would be 2-0 with their schedule.
Ok, yeah you have a point.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Disagree. Post-draft it was a possibility that Goff would start if he were ready. IMO, no matter if it were Wentz or Goff, a strong offseason would have netted a rookie starting at QB and Keenum possibly even dealt..

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Goff is going to prove to be an elite QB.

He has vision, footwork and deadly accuracy.

He is a Porsche.

I heard another member of this board make that metaphor and it's a good one. When you have a Porsche you keep it under 4500 rpm for the first 20,000 miles.

The kid looked lost out there in his first pre season game and looked to get a little rattled by just how big and strong those guys are at this level.

Fisher, to his own possible detriment, is letting the kid get comfortable.

He's now seen two weeks of real game preparation. He's been one play away from being in a game. Maybe now he will start getting a bit impatient. And once he's salivating to play, he will play.

And then we will have our franchise QB for a decade at least.

Hooray!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Well, assuming Teddy Bridgewater still gets hurt in this reality and Sam Bradford still gets traded.

Ramatik

Starter
Lets get our line some time to gel, give the kid some time to develop and then he can play. I want him around for the next ten years, not get crushed and have his confidence ruined because a bunch of blowhards don't know crap about football.

I really liked that part.

tbux

Rookie
I like your fire there tbux

sup
Whats up my old friend- no TBUX is a Bucs fan anymore? ha We better whoop them this week. Cant go into Zona 1-2 needing a win. We get good pressure on Jameis should be no problem.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Whats up my old friend- no TBUX is a Bucs fan anymore? ha We better whoop them this week. Cant go into Zona 1-2 needing a win. We get good pressure on Jameis should be no problem.

Not this time Brudda. Hahahaha

I'll be at the game Sunday. We got a tailgate going. You should stop by.

tbux

Rookie
Not this time Brudda. Hahahaha

I'll be at the game Sunday. We got a tailgate going. You should stop by.

I would bro, but I moved to the keys- not able to get there this weekend. Work stuff going on. Kinda upset I couldn't get there. We gonna get em I think-- like our matchups.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I would bro, but I moved to the keys- not able to get there this weekend. Work stuff going on. Kinda upset I couldn't get there. We gonna get em I think-- like our matchups.

My favorite part of the State. (y)

Wish I could be there full-time.

tbux

Rookie
My favorite part of the State. (y)

Wish I could be there full-time.
Its cool but almost too laid back. I guess it depends on where you are in life and what you enjoy. I actually miss Tampa- but the keys has its perks too.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Its cool but almost too laid back. I guess it depends on where you are in life and what you enjoy. I actually miss Tampa- but the keys has its perks too.

What island are you on?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Islamorada

Right on. Well, at least you're not far from Miami if you need to get out of relax mode.

Take a boat out to the "sand bar" there. If you're single that is. Lots of sights to behold.

You'll be forced to get on Island Time whether you like it or not in time... LOL

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Seriously, do you even consider the level of play and their experiences coming out of college? Goff never took snaps under center that alone should tell you he's got a long way to go, never called plays, never made adjustments, blah blah blah blah blah.

Is there a possibility that Goff will be the better player over his career? Apparently that is another thing you don't consider. 2 games into their careers no one knows the answer but it is certainly possible.

Quit slobbering for the instant gratification and let Goff have a chance to get his crap together and get on the field.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...off-into-the-next-great-nfl-quarterback-hope/
That article, and I'm far too lazy to look for more, specifically discredits your claim. For example, straight from the article:
"Translation: Goff is asked to read defenses on every snap.
"We go through our progression, we throw it to the guy who is open or we run the football," Franklin says."

"That decision, which is based on the alignment of the defense, is sometimes made at the exact moment the ball is snapped if the defense changes its look at the last second."

"His changes are much more subtle and infrequent, but when there are issues with the play, he recognizes them quickly and makes the necessary adjustments."

Now that's with an offense he knows like it's second nature. One with simple verbiage. But, he made adjustments, he read defenses, and he had and used the authority to change what was being done by his teammate based on what he saw.

Lynch had the strongest arm...followed by the guy at Ohio St....then Wentz....

Lynch was the strongest, followed by Goff, then Wentz. I do find it funny that people knock Goff (not necessarily you, though I've seen it here and in articles elsewhere) for having a deep ball with a flatter trajectory because of a supposedly weaker arm. A flatter trajectory means he's throwing the ball faster, also known as harder. Think about when you have a water hose. Leave it flat and the water flows out to a certain point. With a weak stream in order to get it to go farther you can either raise the angle, thus increasing the amount of air time it has to travel, or increase the velocity. Flat trajectory = stronger arm. Whether or not it's less desirable is another matter, but it isn't a sign of a weak arm.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
How about drafting players that can play instead of players with potential? Speaking of potential how is Robinson playing? From what I saw in the first game not to well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
How about drafting players that can play instead of players with potential? Speaking of potential how is Robinson playing? From what I saw in the first game not to well.
He played well week one. Not as well week 2, although he was facing a stronger, better defensive front.

He looks a bit more technically sound to me.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
"His changes are much more subtle and infrequent, but when there are issues with the play, he recognizes them quickly and makes the necessary adjustments."

Did you see him doing any of that in preseason? I did not.

Did he change plays at the LOS in the Bears offense, I don't think he did but I did not watch much of him in college. What I know is he is not ready to play in the NFL and Wentz was far ahead of him in that regard coming out of college.

I don't really car what some talking head from CBS thinks, that gets as much credit as me which ain't much

ausmurp

Starter
Really? That deep pass that was dropped by Matthews could not have been thrown any better. I think you're seeing only what you want to see really. Being a qb is more than just throwing the ball. He has to to be a field general that takes control of the offense. He has to recognize what the defense is showing and make changes at the LOS. He has to command the respect of his teammates. Carson is showing that he has all of that, and has it in spades. If you're not seeing anything special out of him while watching him play, then you're clearly in the minority with that opinion. Guy looks nothing like a rookie out there. Only rookie he reminds me of is a young Elway.

Have to reply to this bc it's true. Wentz is special you can tell by watching. Not about the competition, it's things he's doing that he'd be doing just the same against the Seahawks or Cardinals. Making adjustments at the line, he's throwing very accurate passes and he's like what, 66% through 2 games? His pocket movement is what is surprising me the most. He moves in the pocket like Aaron Rodgers. He's already one of the best at pocket movement. He looks like he been playing at a pro level for yrs.