Single Biggest Factor Holding this Team Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thorn in Our Side 2014

• Just not enough talent to beat our rivals

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Inexperience

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Staying Healthy isnt our forte'

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Lack of depth

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Coaching

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Penalties/We kill ourselves

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other (State what)

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters

69superbowl

Rookie
Except for the "coaching" option, all of those other choices are links in a chain, aren't they? Starting with the injury/continuity issue. Interesting poll question.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Thorn in Our Side 2014
  1. Just not enough talent to beat our rivals
  2. Inexperience
  3. Staying Healthy isnt our forte'
  4. Lack of depth
  5. Coaching
  6. Penalties/We kill ourselves
  7. Other (State what)
Other: Schedule & Division.

All these selections are from 2013. Old news. We've got the talent; we're a year more experienced; we're due to stay healthy; depth solved; coaching and penalties should also improve with another year together. We're ready to rock and roll
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. When I first saw the schedule I was in shock. We already play in the toughest division, but I guess at this point I just have come to expect the toughest schedule every year.

I still maintain that my biggest concern due to inexperience, especially at secondary. Not because they'll be that bad, but because defense is our strength, and that's where mistakes will potentially hurt us the most. Even with a new DT and DE, I really think we'll be able to trust the line if only because we'll be rotating our ends as ends and tackles as tackles. Regardless of inexperience there, everyone will be playing to their strengths.

Four defensive backs though, drafted later, I expected that, but at least they're targeted the guys they really want. I sure am excited to see what comes.

Sheesh, brevity is just not my thing I guess :)

ED_29

I voted "other" and would say it's legitimate threats at WR
I think it's QB. The Rams have everything else... They don't have great WRs but neither do the Hawks. Hopefully the WRs will developed just like Fisher thinks they will. We are a carbon copy of of every team in our division. IMO it will come down to the QB. Can he make plays that make the difference and can he stay healthy? We won 7 games with Clemens. Can a healthy Bradford be a 3 or 4 game difference in the win column? In addition to adding G Williams and the fortification of the defense and a run game which could just eat up chunks

This is what the Rams are banking on

nighttrain

Legend
So a rookie like Watkins or Evans puts us over the top?

I think Shurmer's scheme is a lot bigger potential problem than the WR's themselves. We will see improvement in the WR's from experience, alone. We have no rookies in our top 6 guys and the same OC. That's huge! Throw in a better OL, a healthy Bradford, and a stout running game, you'll find the Rams are fine at WR. But hey, I may as well be talking to the wall. You guys will just have to wait and see for yourselves, which is fine.
we didnt draft any WRs because we don't need any, just experience, which they are getting
train

ED_29

Boy, I just haven't seen many. This site ahead of the game in that regard. In several other Rams forums it's very common.
wait... so Shotty, the oline, or WRs can be blamed but if someone says its Sam they are ban worthy? Am I mis reading that?

ED_29

Question. Are you predicting our ridiculously young receivers to just not get better?

There are countless examples of receivers getting off to a rocky start and then transforming and developing into that mythical "no.1 receiver" you so badly desire.
true... I mean how many top WRs have the Packers drafted? We just need the Rams to develop a couple of these guys. Its a big year for Quick. My fingers are crossed. Givens was awesome in his rookie season hopefully with a healthy Sam (who are we kidding Clemens didn't have the arm to get it to that kind of WR) he returns to form. Also normal maturation of Bailey and Austin and all of the sudden you got something

PhxRam

wait... so Shotty, the oline, or WRs can be blamed but if someone says its Sam they are ban worthy? Am I mis reading that?

Yes you are misreading that. If your desire is to rail on one singular person then that is where we are going to run into issues.

Give a criticism of anyone you like, insult someone and you will be banned, always ask yourself "can I back this up with fact?" if not then don't say it.

ED_29

Yes you are misreading that. If your desire is to rail on one singular person then that is where we are going to run into issues.
ok thanks for the clarification... reading his response it sounded like he saying something else

lockdnram21

Legend
wish i had your faith lol

I don't see how you don't see that the line and Clemens Held our receivers back the second half of the season. You keep saying Clemens isn't a good excuse. The guy is not accurate. He missed Tavon on what should have been a td. He missed quick wide open. Quick certainly got better in my opinion. Hes certainly better then the start of season. From what I seen he was getting open and Clemens. Either had no time or wasn't accurate. I expect Quick and Bailey to start this season.

PhxRam

People get banned for saying Bradford is not all that? Seriously?

Nobody gets banned for that. I will say it again. There is a HUGE difference of being critical of a player and railing on one. I think we both know the difference.

iced

I don't see how you don't see that the line and Clemens Held our receivers back the second half of the season. You keep saying Clemens isn't a good excuse. The guy is not accurate. He missed Tavon on what should have been a td. He missed quick wide open. Quick certainly got better in my opinion. Hes certainly better then the start of season. From what I seen he was getting open and Clemens. Either had no time or wasn't accurate. I expect Quick and Bailey to start this season.

I don't buy it because I remember the team with Bradford. Plenty of drops, were #2 in the league went bradford went down. Givens couldn't separate, Quick missed countless sight adjustments and hot reads in additions to his drops, etc.

And don't give me the Clemens holding them back excuse - Givens and Hakeem Nicks were the only starting receivers in the league to go without a touchdown..Plenty of other receivers managed to find themselves into the end zone - hell their own teammates did with less opportunities.

Givens is what he is - a role player, a one trick Pony. He should not be a starter. Quick is not there yet and there's no telling if he'll ever put it together because he shows occasional flashes, but is so inconsistent. Pettis is what he is, a JAG. Bailey? 2 or 3 games is not enough for me, especially since he was filling in for Tavon's role.

scifiman

There should have been an option for all of the above. No one thing is the problem when you lose. To have a successful football team you need everything clicking and then add in a bit of luck on top too. All it takes is that one guy to have a brain fart and you turn the ball over and it results in a touchdown that could be the difference in the game. How about coaches who dont make the correct adjustments or having an ego that sticks with something that is not working (see Mike Martz for an example).

There is also the concept of what is a successful? If you ask most players and coaches unless you win the super bowl the season was not a success.

But to me the answer to what is a thorn in our side for 2014 would be all of the above. If you did this for all the teams in the nfl it should be the same except for Seattle and then the answer would be hunger to win another one.

ED_29

No doubt

Look I don't have great confiendence in Sam's ability to stay healthy and even when healthy to be a top notch QB BUT.... there is no comparison to Clemens. Clemens played better than I thought he would but hes not very good. The Rams improved their backup situation big time this offseason. When Bradford went down and they didn't have another QB capable of pushing the ball downfield it was devasting to the Rams passing game. All you have to do is put on the games at SF and AZ to see that.

RamEERS

Pastor
I don't buy it because I remember the team with Bradford. Plenty of drops, were #2 in the league went bradford went down. Givens couldn't separate, Quick missed countless sight adjustments and hot reads in additions to his drops, etc.

And don't give me the Clemens holding them back excuse - Givens and Hakeem Nicks were the only starting receivers in the league to go without a touchdown..Plenty of other receivers managed to find themselves into the end zone - hell their own teammates did with less opportunities.

Givens is what he is - a role player, a one trick Pony. He should not be a starter. Quick is not there yet and there's no telling if he'll ever put it together because he shows occasional flashes, but is so inconsistent. Pettis is what he is, a JAG. Bailey? 2 or 3 games is not enough for me, especially since he was filling in for Tavon's role.

i'm really trying to understand you iced.. you keep arguing that our WR core sucks across this board... what if we draft Watkins and he didn't produce? would you keep calling for a WR year after year? how would the rest of the team look in terms of depth if we did that? it's like you're never going to be happy with the result unless someone puts up calvin johnson numbers and to be honest... nobody on this team will... even if we had CJ himself we won't put the numbers up on this team. Why? because we're built as a run first team... we tried to be a pass first and those are the stats that you're arguing.. what's next? change in QB?
it's like you're going to be miserable with this team no matter what happens

ED_29

Givens ceiling is Mike Wallace... he is not the kind of WR that will win battles. Hes TY Hilton... he has to have the ball put on him. Hes not physical... thats not his game. Clemens was crazy bad at times just limited and didn't have the arm that teams respected. Oh boy Clemens was a huge factor in the passing game issues last year