Single Biggest Factor Holding this Team Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thorn in Our Side 2014

• Just not enough talent to beat our rivals

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Inexperience

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Staying Healthy isnt our forte'

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Lack of depth

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Coaching

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Penalties/We kill ourselves

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other (State what)

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I feel that it had a lot to do with a lack of talent, with inexperience not too far behind.

Jeff Fisher's no Jesus, he came on to one of the worst football teams in the league, a team that barely has any of it's draft picks from the last 6 years, when you're drafting unsuccessfully for such a long time it wears on your team. There was a huge disparity in talent and it shows when we have guys who shouldn't be anything but benchwarmers like King and Dahl as our only answer for position it's painfully obvious that talent is not there. It has nothing to do with this current team, Fisher's put in a good effort and has done a lot in just 2 years, but the damage is still evident.

This team has and probably still does have a long way to go, and it's gonna be ugly with guys being inexperienced, not knowing their way around the NFL and such, but it will get better.

I agree that our rivals have possessed more talent on their rosters over these past couple years for sure but I believe that the gap is not too broad for us to give a competitive fight that comes down to not making key mistakes and I think we have shown that.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are several posters here that would put the blame on #8, just because they haven't got banned yet, doesn't mean they aren't here too . . . .
There are several posters here that would put the blame on #8, just because they haven't got banned yet, doesn't mean they aren't here too . . . .

Boy, I just haven't seen many. This site ahead of the game in that regard. In several other Rams forums it's very common.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Schottenheimer

He does have his moments at times, but quickly erases those with stupidity.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Exactly. It's as plain as the nose on your face.

Our Corps isn't that bad. Everything falls into place when we find a legit threat at X. That will allow our other guys to fall into their roles.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Schottenheimer

He does have his moments at times, but quickly erases those with stupidity.

Yes, I agree, he is a reason.

He looks like a genius in his goal line play calling, because the 3-5 yard pass plays are all he knows!

SierraRam

Recreational User
Thorn in Our Side 2014
  1. Just not enough talent to beat our rivals
  2. Inexperience
  3. Staying Healthy isnt our forte'
  4. Lack of depth
  5. Coaching
  6. Penalties/We kill ourselves
  7. Other (State what)
Other: Schedule & Division.

All these selections are from 2013. Old news. We've got the talent; we're a year more experienced; we're due to stay healthy; depth solved; coaching and penalties should also improve with another year together. We're ready to rock and roll

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Exactly. It's as plain as the nose on your face.

So a rookie like Watkins or Evans puts us over the top?

I think Shurmer's scheme is a lot bigger potential problem than the WR's themselves. We will see improvement in the WR's from experience, alone. We have no rookies in our top 6 guys and the same OC. That's huge! Throw in a better OL, a healthy Bradford, and a stout running game, you'll find the Rams are fine at WR. But hey, I may as well be talking to the wall. You guys will just have to wait and see for yourselves, which is fine.

iced

So a rookie like Watkins or Evans puts us over the top?

Doesn't have to be over the top to expect improvement - the bar is not set high.

Tavon - 13 games, 40 receptions, 418 yards, 4 tds, 9 rushes for 151 yards, 1 rush td. 5 offensive td's (non-special teams) - 42% of offensive snaps

Givens - 16 games, 34 receptions, 569 yards, 0 tds, 3 rushes for 8 yards, 0 rush td. 0 TD's total - 78% of offensive snaps (by far leading receiver in snaps)

A rookie outperformed the incumbents - so expecting rookie improvement over this corps would be more likely than not

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think this team gives up the chance for a score every single game because of penalties. They probably allow a score every game because of penalties too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

other - all of the above.

time to make their stamp now.

jjab360

Legend
Doesn't have to be over the top to expect improvement - the bar is not set high.

Tavon - 13 games, 40 receptions, 418 yards, 4 tds, 9 rushes for 151 yards, 1 rush td. 5 offensive td's (non-special teams) - 42% of offensive snaps

Givens - 16 games, 34 receptions, 569 yards, 0 tds, 3 rushes for 8 yards, 0 rush td. 0 TD's total - 78% of offensive snaps (by far leading receiver in snaps)

A rookie outperformed the incumbents - so expecting rookie improvement over this corps would be more likely than not
Question. Are you predicting our ridiculously young receivers to just not get better?

There are countless examples of receivers getting off to a rocky start and then transforming and developing into that mythical "no.1 receiver" you so badly desire.

RFIP

Our Corps isn't that bad. Everything falls into place when we find a legit threat at X. That will allow our other guys to fall into their roles.

Well Sam has delivered, and who needs to deliver is oline and receivers. 13 of the 20 starters on the oline who have started in front of Sam are out of NFL. Our LG situation has never been good. The most reliable receiver was DA and he got hurt often, was out all of 2011. The #1 X receiver was a guy who was moved to slot in Miami, where he is in a role that suits his talents. So, in last 16 games he's played he's thrown 28 TDs . . . That's delivering with limited receivers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd like to believe we are getting past the lack of talent (which clearly was the biggest issue for our struggles the last 10yrs).

So now, I feel it's inexperience; which is how I voted. I think that's why there remains debate about our WR, which understandably so, hasn't delivered yet.

Lastly; I'm not convinced Shotty can put together a championship game plan. That remains a very big worry for me.

jap

Legend
I believe it was Jrry who first suggested that they move Tavon outside, where that rare electric speed/quickness really becomes frightening to defenders. That alone will free everyone else up. I don't know anyone in the NFL good enough to shadow Tavon 1-on-1, Revis Island included, who still believe surpasses Sherman in sheer coverage ability.

It just looks wrong to limit Tavon to the slot, where wary DC's almost always make sure to have 2/3 guys on him. If the DC's spread out the D to account for Tavon, Givens, Cookie, and Quick downfield, we simply pound the LOS with Zac & Co. behind our Battering Ram OL. When the D adjust by moving the safeties in close, we send Tavon and Givens streaking past CBs with no help from the safeties to stop them.

Can I have two?

WRs
Pass coverage.

Although I suppose that falls under "Just not enough talent to beat our rivals"

Not saying they can't improve, I'm saying they must improve for us to stand a cat in hell's chance.

F. Mulder

Starter
I put "other" and it pertains to individual players, units, and teams both during certain games and even for periods of time during the season. It probably comes off as a cop-out answer but there have been too many inconsistent stretches; including last season, where you see a team who couldn't beat a mediocre college team AND a team who could give the top NFL teams a run for their money. Obviously teams are going to lose games but its the way the Rams lost/and continue to lose certain games that wears on me. More specifically there have been too many games where the D has dominated but the O hasn't kept their end of the bargain and fewer where it's been the other way around. Maybe inexperience is they key but you need to play 60 minutes of consistent football to beat teams in the NFC West (and most good teams in general).

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

You know that's not fair for Tavon.

-Schotty held him back
- Clemens held everyone back, not his fault Sam got hurt.
- He's a rookie!
- We have more than enough weapons for a running team.
- Didnt have to be the top prospect? I think it did. I'm not a big fan of Evans.
- Fisher had expressed confidence Austin will have a better year.
- We have 6 WR's, you want a legit 7th?

I don't have time to keep going.