Should Fisher Be The HC In 2016?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should Fisher Be The HC In 2016?

• Total voters

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
You don't think having backups and their backups playing with only a week to prep has anything to do with that?
The issues are the same no matter who is playing for the Fisher rams. Only the talent level changes slightly.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Seriously. You know, other than the QB situation i really don't have any complaints about the Fisher/Snead drafts. They get picked on quite a bit here. Singling out missed picks like Pead, Quick and Robinson more recently. If one were to pick ANY team and go look at their COMPLETE drafts over the last four years, the Rams' look pretty good IMO.

Bottom line personnel-wise is we don't have a QB and we haven't had one who could make plays since Bulger. Yikes.

Quick might not be a missed pick if they, you know, like USED him.

He clearly had the light go on last year before his injury. And I know because of that they were thinking of bringing him along slowly this year. But they are not even trying to use him it seems like, and I certainly don't see them putting him in situations that would take advantage of his skillset.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You don't think having backups and their backups playing with only a week to prep has anything to do with that?
I don't know about you but i try to watch alot of football outside of our Rams...and i see a sloppy team all too often. In a microcosm yes, having backups in there contributes, but i'm talking about a 4 year span of stability at HC and other positional coaches(OLine, WR's, TE's). I don't believe in this staff outside of Gregg Williams anymore to get his players prepared with any consistency whatsoever.

FRO

Legend

He clearly had the light go on last year before his injury. And I know because of that they were thinking of bringing him along slowly this year. But they are not even trying to use him it seems like, and I certainly don't see them putting him in situations that would take advantage of his skillset.
It's year 4 for Quick and he isn't really producing. There are a lot of QBs that are producing with crap QBs. Quick isn't T.O.
2.0. He is a big guy with skill, but isn't a primary threat. We suck at WR almost as much as QB.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's year 4 for Quick and he isn't really producing. There are a lot of QBs that are producing with crap QBs. Quick isn't T.O.
2.0. He is a big guy with skill, but isn't a primary threat. We suck at WR almost as much as QB.

When have they tried to really get him involved though? It's one thing for a guy to not produce, but it's quite another when the coaching staff doesn't do their best to get him involved, and I think there is a lot of the latter going on. He was producing very well in 2014 - with a crap QB - before he go hurt. Are we to believe he suddenly forgot how to do all the thing he was doing then? I, for one, have a hard time believing that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

That's just what i'm talking about though, IMO the Pead & Quick picks are both busts, but it's not like that is a completely Earth-shattering unacceptable back breaker personnel wise for this regime. Maybe when i get the time i'll post the 4 year drafting resume of some of the better teams in the league. I think many would be surprised at how so many other teams have poorly drafted and busted high end picks(compared to the Rams), yet have found ways to succeed.

I'm not going to get into Brian Quick. IMO he's a slow learner and overrated physically too. He looks uncoordinated at times out there. Compare him to someone like Danario Alexander when it comes to locating the ball and using his body and Quick just doesn't have it.

FRO

Legend
When have they tried to really get him involved though? It's one thing for a guy to not produce, but it's quite another when the coaching staff doesn't do their best to get him involved, and I think there is a lot of the latter going on. He was producing very well in 2014 - with a crap QB - before he go hurt. Are we to believe he suddenly forgot how to do all the thing he was doing then? I, for one, have a hard time believing that.
If Quick were worthy of getting featured he would be. The reason they feature Gurley and Austin is because they are getting things done. Quick isn't doing enough to warrant getting more attention.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If Quick were worthy of getting featured he would be. The reason they feature Gurley and Austin is because they are getting things done. Quick isn't doing enough to warrant getting more attention.

Well, I think a lot of that is on the coaching staff then, because there was a point last year he was getting a lot done, and there was no reason to believe it wouldn't continue until he had a particularly nasty shoulder injury.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That's just what i'm talking about though, IMO the Pead & Quick picks are both busts, but it's not like that is a completely Earth-shattering unacceptable back breaker personnel wise for this regime. Maybe when i get the time i'll post the 4 year drafting resume of some of the better teams in the league. I think many would be surprised at how so many other teams have poorly drafted and busted high end picks(compared to the Rams), yet have found ways to succeed.

I'm not going to get into Brian Quick. IMO he's a slow learner and overrated physically too. He looks uncoordinated at times out there. Compare him to someone like Danario Alexander when it comes to locating the ball and using his body and Quick just doesn't have it.

I guess he must have forgotten everything he was doing right last year pre-injury.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may be on an island here, and. I don't care. I still don't think things will suddenly get better if our coaches get fired.

If our players outside TG2 don't start doing a better job in executing, it won't matter who the coaches are. We also need a full season of health and continuity. And no before anyone brings up "so its all on the players" argument, no its not all. Its everywhere. Things need to be fixed everywhere. I just don't think that changes with a simple coaching change.

You'd be right if this were following the 2011 season. But in 2015, I don't agree. Look at what Harbaugh did in SF when players were struggling to execute under Singletary. Look at what Arians did in Arizona after they couldn't execute under Whisenhunt.

We have the talent. We need a better coach to put it all together. If we find that guy, this team can contend...assuming that coach can find a QB. Because Fisher clearly cannot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I think a lot of that is on the coaching staff then, because there was a point last year he was getting a lot done, and there was no reason to believe it wouldn't continue until he had a particularly nasty shoulder injury.

I have to say, I think today's gameplan sucked. I've been trying to give Cignetti the BOTD but I'm starting to have major issues with his route combinations and route preferences.

Baltimore's biggest vulnerability was the intermediate passing game. We hurt them there when we went to the intermediate passing game. But we refused to do it for almost the entire game. And it drives me crazy how many of the routes in this offense are out routes and curls or comebacks. We are not using the middle of the field. We haven't been using Quick on his bread and butter dig route.

I bet that route would have been there today. We should have been attacking the middle of the Ravens defense in the intermediate range. Instead, we kept attacking outside...with a QB struggling to get the ball there accurately. We could have made it easier for Keenum today and we did not. Very disappointing.

Plus, I am in disbelief that they only gave Austin one hand-off today...it went for 16 freaking yards. They should have gotten him at least 8 touches with how out of sync the offense was.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good call

I don't know. That sounds more like the Colts with Chuck Pagano. They've actually made the playoffs and had winning seasons. :LOL:

Fisher hasn't even been Mark Jackson haha.

bandre10

UDFA
Name
Brandon
I don't post a lot but I need to get this off my chest. Fisher needs to be fired. The QB situation Is awful, our offensive line is beyond awful, and seriously GZ you choke all the time when the game is on the line. PLEASE lets not waste the talent of Todd Gurley like we did with SJax. Lets get an offensive minded coach and not this vanilla offense. Thank you /rantover

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't know. That sounds more like the Colts with Chuck Pagano. They've actually made the playoffs and had winning seasons. :LOL:

Fisher hasn't even been Mark Jackson haha.
I think the thought is that Fisher has set the table with good talent but cant take this team any farther. Jackson changed the culture and brought in some good talent in Golden St, but he was ultimately a turd and stuck in the 90's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the thought is that Fisher has set the table with good talent but cant take this team any farther. Jackson changed the culture and brought in some good talent in Golden St, but he was ultimately a turd and stuck in the 90's.

He did beat Steph Curry in a 3 point shootout...I wonder if Fisher can beat Aaron Donald to the QB during 11-on-11s. ;)

But I do agree with you. Although, it was a bit easier for Kerr because he didn't lack basketball's version of a QB.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't know about you but i try to watch alot of football outside of our Rams...and i see a sloppy team all too often. In a microcosm yes, having backups in there contributes, but i'm talking about a 4 year span of stability at HC and other positional coaches(OLine, WR's, TE's). I don't believe in this staff outside of Gregg Williams anymore to get his players prepared with any consistency whatsoever.

I watch a lot of football too, and the teams just don't get rid of their coaches when things go sour. If our players can't even catch a ball, it's on them. The coaches have to gameplan and put them in positions to win. And considering the personnel (the one that is healthy) they have. Make a catch here, tackle there, etc. It all adds up. They have to finish the plays.

And believe it or not, Jeff Fisher has not had the luxury of fielding a healthy team since 2012, when he got there. He's had no consistency at QBs, linemen coming and going, WRs doing stupid shit like violating team rules or pot, etc. These guys are professional players. They have to pull their weight, too.

You'd be right if this were following the 2011 season. But in 2015, I don't agree. Look at what Harbaugh did in SF when players were struggling to execute under Singletary. Look at what Arians did in Arizona after they couldn't execute under Whisenhunt.

We have the talent. We need a better coach to put it all together. If we find that guy, this team can contend...assuming that coach can find a QB. Because Fisher clearly cannot.

SF's issues b/c they didn't respect Mike Singletary. They respected Har-jerk. Jeff Fisher doesn't fall into the Mike Singletary boat.

Ken Whisenhunt was the victim of the injury bug (seriously go look at the amount they had his last year there) and losing a close games. He lost so many QBs during his time there it's unreal. Bruce Arians was fortuante enough to come in and have generally healthy teams and a QB (which I agree the Rams need one badly) that can also stay healthy. When Carson went down last season the Cardinals suddenly weren't all that either.

You bring up guys like Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Singletary, but I bring up a guy like Mike Smith. Talented team, got them to playoffs but underachieved. He was a problem, he's gone and look at the Falcons now. They won games and now are underachieving again. Is it all on the coach? Of course not.

Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin are 2 other guys that their fans been wanting gone (and in the case of Tom Coughlin, before his SB wins). During my undergrad years in college I read a lot of their forums on the old CBS message boards, they were wanting them gone week in and out. Those 2 teams show why staying the course can be beneficial. Hell, things haven't been rosy in Pittsburgh since 2008 and Mike Tomlin is still coaching.

On the flip side, look at teams like Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland (prior to this year), Washington, Jacksonville, etc. These teams keep changing coaches every 3 years or less and have they been doing better? Unless this team shows they don't care I'm not in favor of changing coaching staffs.

BTW I agree, yes we do need a QB. Jeff Fisher had one in Sam Bradford. it's unfortunate what his story ended up being.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I have to say, I think today's gameplan sucked. I've been trying to give Cignetti the BOTD but I'm starting to have major issues with his route combinations and route preferences.

Baltimore's biggest vulnerability was the intermediate passing game. We hurt them there when we went to the intermediate passing game. But we refused to do it for almost the entire game. And it drives me crazy how many of the routes in this offense are out routes and curls or comebacks. We are not using the middle of the field. We haven't been using Quick on his bread and butter dig route.

I bet that route would have been there today. We should have been attacking the middle of the Ravens defense in the intermediate range. Instead, we kept attacking outside...with a QB struggling to get the ball there accurately. We could have made it easier for Keenum today and we did not. Very disappointing.

Plus, I am in disbelief that they only gave Austin one hand-off today...it went for 16 freaking yards. They should have gotten him at least 8 touches with how out of sync the offense was.

I'm not defending the previous bad play of Foles by any stretch, but it is interesting that we didn't attack the middle of the field with Keenum either. Two different QB's and we spend our time attacking the same areas with both? That's on the coaches.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Week 15, Rams are 6-7 coming off two straight wins, feeling pretty good & host the vulnerable Drew Stanton Arizona Cardinals. LOSS
The team goes into the tank and finish 6-10.

Week 10, Rams are 4-4 coming off a tough 3 point loss to Minnesota on the road, feeling pretty good & host the weak Bears. LOSS
Into the tank?

Crossroad games in the Fisher era IMO. You could point to the Vikings loss, but it was a close loss vs a good team in a hostile environment. No shame there.
Cardinals and Bears. Two home losses in consecutive seasons that were just brutal.