Should Fisher Be The HC In 2016?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should Fisher Be The HC In 2016?

• Total voters

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SF's issues b/c they didn't respect Mike Singletary. They respected Har-jerk. Jeff Fisher doesn't fall into the Mike Singletary boat.

Ken Whisenhunt was the victim of the injury bug (seriously go look at the amount they had his last year there) and losing a close games. He lost so many QBs during his time there it's unreal. Bruce Arians was fortuante enough to come in and have generally healthy teams and a QB (which I agree the Rams need one badly) that can also stay healthy. When Carson went down last season the Cardinals suddenly weren't all that either.

You bring up guys like Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Singletary, but I bring up a guy like Mike Smith. Talented team, got them to playoffs but underachieved. He was a problem, he's gone and look at the Falcons now. They won games and now are underachieving again. Is it all on the coach? Of course not.

Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin are 2 other guys that their fans been wanting gone (and in the case of Tom Coughlin, before his SB wins). During my undergrad years in college I read a lot of their forums on the old CBS message boards, they were wanting them gone week in and out. Those 2 teams show why staying the course can be beneficial. Hell, things haven't been rosy in Pittsburgh since 2008 and Mike Tomlin is still coaching.

On the flip side, look at teams like Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland (prior to this year), Washington, Jacksonville, etc. These teams keep changing coaches every 3 years or less and have they been doing better? Unless this team shows they don't care I'm not in favor of changing coaching staffs.

BTW I agree, yes we do need a QB. Jeff Fisher had one in Sam Bradford. it's unfortunate what his story ended up being.

You're going to be able explain away success if you want. There's always something to be blamed for failure. I'm sure if a coach comes in next year and takes us to the playoffs, someone that wants to explain it away will just say injuries + QB + the team being undisciplined under Fisher.

As for the teams you named: Detroit and Jacksonville both have been willing to give their coaches plenty of time of late...except for Mularkey but that had more to do with the ownership change than anything.

Cleveland, Oakland, and Washington have been led by bad owners. Not a problem we have had.

Plus, we gave Fisher four years.

You're not even giving a good reason to stick with mediocrity. Because other teams haven't turned it around by firing coaches doesn't have any bearing on what we should do. Some teams have had success doing it, some teams haven't. That's how it goes. But sticking with a coach that keeps losing...I can't think of many examples during the salary cap era where that worked out.

jap

Legend
I watch a lot of football too, and the teams just don't get rid of their coaches when things go sour. If our players can't even catch a ball, it's on them. The coaches have to gameplan and put them in positions to win. And considering the personnel (the one that is healthy) they have. Make a catch here, tackle there, etc. It all adds up. They have to finish the plays.

And believe it or not, Jeff Fisher has not had the luxury of fielding a healthy team since 2012, when he got there. He's had no consistency at QBs, linemen coming and going, WRs doing stupid crap like violating team rules or pot, etc. These guys are professional players. They have to pull their weight, too.

SF's issues b/c they didn't respect Mike Singletary. They respected Har-jerk. Jeff Fisher doesn't fall into the Mike Singletary boat.

Ken Whisenhunt was the victim of the injury bug (seriously go look at the amount they had his last year there) and losing a close games. He lost so many QBs during his time there it's unreal. Bruce Arians was fortuante enough to come in and have generally healthy teams and a QB (which I agree the Rams need one badly) that can also stay healthy. When Carson went down last season the Cardinals suddenly weren't all that either.

You bring up guys like Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Singletary, but I bring up a guy like Mike Smith. Talented team, got them to playoffs but underachieved. He was a problem, he's gone and look at the Falcons now. They won games and now are underachieving again. Is it all on the coach? Of course not.

Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin are 2 other guys that their fans been wanting gone (and in the case of Tom Coughlin, before his SB wins). During my undergrad years in college I read a lot of their forums on the old CBS message boards, they were wanting them gone week in and out. Those 2 teams show why staying the course can be beneficial. Hell, things haven't been rosy in Pittsburgh since 2008 and Mike Tomlin is still coaching.

On the flip side, look at teams like Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland (prior to this year), Washington, Jacksonville, etc. These teams keep changing coaches every 3 years or less and have they been doing better? Unless this team shows they don't care I'm not in favor of changing coaching staffs.

BTW I agree, yes we do need a QB. Jeff Fisher had one in Sam Bradford. it's unfortunate what his story ended up being.

I am with you in general on maintaining some sort of consistency in the coaching ranks, but, clearly, something needs to change here. Fish is in the same general boat Vermeil was in prior to the 1999 season. A conservative coach who had a decent defense and special team units who was badly missing some firepower on offense. The administrative brass sat Dickie V down and pointed out he had to! make changes like bringing in a bright, fresh offensive mind (i.e., Mad Mike), bolstering the OL by giving help to young 'Lando Pace (i.e., they signed Adam Timmermann to anchor the starboard side of the OL while Pace ruled the port side), getting a bright QB (Mad Mike's former 'Skins' protege, Trent Green), and more offensive talent to pair with Isaac Bruce (#6 overall draft choice, Torry Holt).

Clearly, Fish has demonstrated his expertise at overseeing the growth of the defense and special team units, while plainly showing his problems galvanizing the offensive side of the rock, albeit with ridiculous problems like Sam's back-to-back ACL woes, yearly OL injury woes, etc. In a passing focused league, teams need a competent, robust signal caller who can steer the offense forward. Sam's injuries kept him off the field, while Nick's fundamental flaws are crippling his team.

I wouldn't mind Silent Stan abandoning his silent disposition long enough to verbally get Fish & Snead cracking on shoring up our offense with QB talent and better receivers to complement superstar rookie TGII---that includes WR's and TE's who are actually, actually willing & able to block someone every time the Express! & Co. are attempting to matriculate down the damn field to put meaningful credits on the scoreboard. Having young OL guys going into their second season in 2016 isn't bad, but a robust veteran here or there for leadership & exemplary play isn't a bad proposition either. Fish needs to admit his offensive coaching failings and come to terms with a credible offensive mind, which includes granting near full autonomy on that side if the rock. Dickie V always said the Rams would not have gotten to the Show much less win it in 1999 without Mad Mike. Time for Fish to open up offensively via an OC proxy just like he opens up on defense and special teams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am with you in general on maintaining some sort of consistency in the coaching ranks, but, clearly, something needs to change here. Fish is in the same general boat Vermeil was in prior to the 1999 season. A conservative coach who had a decent defense and special team units who was badly missing some firepower on offense. The administrative brass sat Dickie V down and pointed out he had to! make changes like bringing in a bright, fresh offensive mind (i.e., Mad Mike), bolstering the OL by giving help to young 'Lando Pace (i.e., they signed Adam Timmermann to anchor the starboard side of the OL while Pace ruled the port side), getting a bright QB (Mad Mike's former 'Skins' protege, Trent Green), and more offensive talent to pair with Isaac Bruce (#6 overall draft choice, Torry Holt).

We tried this. Schottenheimer left. Fisher tried to go after some bright minds including Chud. We had no luck and we ended up picking an in-house guy. We tried to do what you're suggesting. It failed.

Hell, we screwed up by not going after the guy the Browns hired.(John DeFilippo) He's done an amazing job with their limited talent.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yes fire Fisher.

I find the notion that he's stocked this team with talent not true. He's stocked one side of the ball with talent, then has wasted it due to the fact that the offense is not a priority. The state of the OL was predictable. I did a search here on this topic and there was no lack of posts expressing real concern about this.

Brian Quick has never had a good year, has never broken out, or has ever been someone who scares the opposing team. I don't know why this keeps getting repeated. He had 4 good games in a row last year then 3 non factor games then got injured.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I know it wouldn't happen, but if Ozzie Newsome were crazy enough to dump John Harbaugh, I'd be all over us getting that guy.

Like...in a NY nanosecond.

My second choice would be for Stan to try and retain the D and ST staffs and hire Adam Gase to be the HC and have him assemble the O staff.

Beyond that, no idea. I dunno about retention because injuries are bad. That said, you look at Ken Wisenhunt and he stunk on ice even after he left so it wasn't just injuries.

jap

Legend
We tried this. Schottenheimer left. Fisher tried to go after some bright minds including Chud. We had no luck and we ended up picking an in-house guy. We tried to do what you're suggesting. It failed.

Hell, we screwed up by not going after the guy the Browns hired.(John DeFilippo) He's done an amazing job with their limited talent.

Did we really? Doesn't Fish bring in OC's with the idea that they have to operate under his generally strict offensive philosophy? Vermeil was forced to open up the offense and be more creative or else. Fish has not faced that sort of directive.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I still believe that Fisher is a good Head Coach without a QB. However, I'm slowing beginning to lean towards this team needing a new voice to get them over the hump sorta like when Gruden took over for Dungy in Tampa. Of course, it's a shame that our hump isn't a Super Bowl Championship.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He's had the time, he's had the authority, he's had the luxury of a large amount of premium draft picks, and he inherited 3 mainstays that probably would have been pro bowlers often on a winning team in JL, Long and Quinn. How can you subtract Stacy, Clemons, and Jake Long and add Gurley, Foles, and a #2 overall LT AND GET WORSE?

He's also had some injury problems, nobody can control that. But so does every team. The team has too often looked unprepared, and flat over three and a half years. His staff has frequently been outcoached. It's time, it's not working. He has reasons he hasn't succeeded, some may even be pretty valid. But it doesn't change the fact that we aren't getting closer to winning the division or making the playoffs or winning games we have to win. This isn't what an ascending program looks like. This overall offensive strategy isn't how you win games against teams that have talent. Holding in the red zone/bend but don't break doesn't work if you can't even get field position back.

All my opinion of course. I think he's as safe as a mouse in a hole due to relocation, but that's my case for why a change is needed.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honetly, I hope this Keenum concussion disaster is the straw that breaks the camel's back with Kroenke.
The results on the field have been embarassing in NFL circles, now the mishap regarding player safety puts the embarassment on a national level.
Good grief, my wife watches the Today Show and I had to see Matt freakin Lauer talking about it

In all honesty, the only game I can see winning is San Fran last game of the year. And that would be a toss up over who wants the better draft pick (and lets the other team win)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Honetly, I hope this Keenum concussion disaster is the straw that breaks the camel's back with Kroenke.
The results on the field have been embarassing in NFL circles, now the mishap regarding player safety puts the embarassment on a national level.
Good grief, my wife watches the Today Show and I had to see Matt freakin Lauer talking about it

In all honesty, the only game I can see winning is San Fran last game of the year. And that would be a toss up over who wants the better draft pick (and lets the other team win)

If the endgame is really to move and it's not the best friggin bluff of all time, embarrassment and losing works FOR Kroenke, not against him. I wouldn't count on much movement from the owner. It'd be nice to wrong about that, though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Here's a question.

Are Snead and Fisher tied at the hip? If Fisher goes, does that mean Snead goes, too?
Or is Snead the person to fire Fisher and look for a new head coach?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here's a question.

Are Snead and Fisher tied at the hip? If Fisher goes, does that mean Snead goes, too?
Or is Snead the person to fire Fisher and look for a new head coach?

Kroenke and Demoff would fire Fisher and then if they were going to keep Snead give him the additional responsibilities of hiring the Head Coach and maybe add the title of Executive Vice President & General Manager.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's what I believe:
1] There will be no changes with with Fisher, Cignetti or the offense the remainder of this year. WYSIWYG.
(Fisher is either incapable, or too pig-headed)

2] Assuming I am correct, the Rams will likely end up winning a total of 6 or 7 games

3] Jeff Fisher will not be fired - he is not our coach for on-the-filed results. If he were, he'd probably be fired after this week's loss.. he won't be.

4] Jeff Fisher will be the HC of the Rams in 2016 for off-the-field skills that he's believed to possess.

I'll see how serious he is about releasing control of the offense to another coach by who he brings in. I do believe Cignetti will be one of the fall guys for this disappointing season.

If it's "JAC" (just another coach) or some inexperienced coach with an average record or - worst yet - someone already on the staff., I'm out of watching Rams football for 2016.

Next year, it'll be 50 years of rooting for this team... I hope I'm able to root for them on such an anniversary year.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I voted no, because we just seem to be stuck in mediocrity - no sorry this year we've gone backwards - drastically I think. I have lost faith in Fisher as our HC, there are just some game-time decisions which seem poor especially for a coach of his experience.

I'd like to see us offer the HC role to some new blood - not someone from inside the Rams Organisation...