Rob Havenstein news (cut and paste)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
I dont think height is the equalizer here, Reynolds is 6'7" too ...played alot of guard. Not saying its ideal, or common. To me theres guys with more compact, beefier upper bodies more suited to step in at guard. Saffold has an impressive mid to upper body, where as LAChamp already mentioned Battle being bottom heavy. Donnal has narrow shoulders. Whichmann is more stocky. To me they need to throw Battle and Donnal into the weight room with a bunch of steroids and lock the door for a month.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
By Myles Simmons:
www.therams.com

I don't know if this has been posted here but thought it would be good in this thread also.

Earlier this week, Los Angeles placed Rob Havenstein on the preseason physically unable to perform list with a foot injury. He’s able to come off it at any time before the regular season kicks in, but Fisher said it may be a little while before that happens.

“Rob’s had a little foot issue during the offseason, and he’s still not quite ready,” Fisher said. “So, [with] PUP — this situation can be week-to-week [or] day-to-day. Really don’t have much more information on it. But it’s going to be some time — maybe a few weeks before Rob gets back. He’s working very, very hard.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think there is creativity running a ltttle too rampant round here lol.

Havenstein is too valuable at RT they are just being careful with him most likely. Remember he did not give up a sack last year in a lot of snaps so even though he plays stiff the dude is gonna be something special if he can avoid the Rams' OL injury curse.

Wichmann was a better RG than Saffold last year. He deserves that look in there and Roger does have immense value as a guy who can play anywhere. He will play where they need him until his first game injury.

Lastly they clearly learned their lesson with GRob and aren't going to risk moving him around thank F.

Not saying someone won't surprise but IMO key roles are likely set.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think there is creativity running a ltttle too rampant round here lol.

Havenstein is too valuable at RT they are just being careful with him most likely. Remember he did not give up a sack last year in a lot of snaps so even though he plays stiff the dude is gonna be something special if he can avoid the Rams' OL injury curse.

Wichmann was a better RG than Saffold last year. He deserves that look in there and Roger does have immense value as a guy who can play anywhere. He will play where they need him until his first game injury.

Lastly they clearly learned their lesson with GRob and aren't going to risk moving him around thank F.

Not saying someone won't surprise but IMO key roles are likely set.

My take on the OFFENSIVE Line

--When Rob Havenstein is healthy

G. Rob -- LT ( stud). - I. Battle swingT
Saffold LG. -- Reynolds 2nd
Barnes C. 2nd Rhaney
RG Jamon Brown. -- Cody Wichmann
RT. Big Hav. 2nd Battle. -- 3rd string LT & RT

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
My take on the OFFENSIVE Line

--When Rob Havenstein is healthy

G. Rob -- LT ( stud). - I. Battle swingT
Saffold LG. -- Reynolds 2nd
Barnes C. 2nd Rhaney
RG Jamon Brown. -- Cody Wichmann
RT. Big Hav. 2nd Battle. -- 3rd string LT & RT
That would be a very good starting 5 but the back up center Rhaney scares the hell out of me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Do you have a link to where it was ever discussed that he would be better at G?
Having a lil technical difficulty finding that...even saw hints of it yesterday, but nothing as of now. Trust me, I read it in here, which is why I remember it...Cause I was like you, he's too tall. but Wisconsin linemen are typically able to play 3-4 spots...he's super stiff and not agile...he's typically the type moved to guard in the pros except for his height & length. Personally, I like him, but seem to remember him having some trouble...Yeah he didn't give up a sack, but pressures matter...Not that I think there's a player that can replace him....yet...Just watch out for Battle....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A loss of Rob Havenstein is a big negative here but Rodger Saffold can technically play & start any of four (4) OL posts {OLT/ORT-OLG/ORG}. RS has the smarts & experience to handle for any length of time, any of the those positions as long as he remains uninjured.

If I were Boudreau I would insert RS in @ ORT now & let it roll from that point on. It would sure take the pressure off Rob Havenstein & his situation (whatever it is) to know that that RS is filling his very large shoes @ ORT post. If Rob does have to sit out 2016 season the current Ram OL roster should be just fine! As to the thought that RS was strictly purchased to start at OG not OT.......don't think so. Fisher was very happy back in early spring of 2013 off season to desire to start Saffold @ Right OT. Fisher gave that subject then a good amount of words & all of it positive. But as usual the RS injury shut that down early

Now to the question of the ongoing saga of Saffold's injuries....if Boudreau does go into the season with RS as the starting RT & the usual takes place (injury) the Ram youthful reserve RT backup line is long large & talented too. So IF Saffold was unable to pick up the mantle of starting RT...Snead has Darrell Williams, Isaiah Battle, Andrew Donnal & Jordan Swindle waiting for the opportunity to showcase their skills @ RT. In fact Andrew Donnal (whom most fans including me have trashed) could end up being a more important OL'er in this TC than even Isaiah Battle. Andrew sure has the looks of a pure RT to my eyes. If he has added power to his game then I would not be surprised if he ended up being the starter.

Some Ram fans might pick up the torch of thought that If RS is removed from the equation of playing or starting at one of the interior OG positions the OL will suffer....I see no effect or impact or cause for any alarm of any of that thought myself. We have discussed in many posts & in great detail this electrifying 2016 off season what was seen from our own eyes on the field of play of what current Ram OG's Garrett Reynolds, Jamon Brown & Cody Wichmann are capable of producing once they settle in. This is a very strong nice trio of Ram OG's.... best in a very long time.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That would be a very good starting 5 but the back up center Rhaney scares the hell out of me.
The only reason I say that is
1. Been in system
2.still very young
3.plays special teams
4.is listed right now as a back up guard

Dick84

I'm not thrilled about he Hav news. Injuries last year and this *seems* to be a new injury we were unaware of.
Oh.. and GRob had some foot issues last offseason as well.. that didn't turn out well, although Hav is much more sound.
As for backing him up... I hate the idea of Saffold at tackle and hope Williams and/or Battle show enough in preseason to win the spot *if* Hav is delayed to start the season. I want that interior line to be as bruising as possible right out the gate.
Not sure if anyone can tell... does Wichmann look any different this year? Put on any more weight? I like his demeanor and think he has a good head on his shoulders.. needs to get stronger.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The only reason I say that is
1. Been in system
2.still very young
3.plays special teams
4.is listed right now as a back up guard
Good points but he looked very bad last season. We need to find a better back up @ center and pray that Barnes doesn't get hurt.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
If I were Boudreau I would insert RS in @ ORT now & let it roll from that point on. It would sure take the pressure off Rob Havenstein & his situation (whatever it is) to know that that RS is filling his very large shoes @ ORT post. If Rob does have to sit out 2016 season the current Ram OL roster should be just fine! As to the thought that RS was strictly purchased to start at OG not OT.......don't think so. Fisher was very happy back in early spring of 2013 off season to desire to start Saffold @ Right OT. Fisher gave that subject then a good amount of words & all of it positive. But as usual the RS injury shut that down early
I have to disagree with you Bonifay. I remember Roger losing the battle of RT to Barksdale. After he failed the Raiders physical the Rams signed him to a big contract and said they planned to play him at guard because they felt he had all pro potential at guard. The only reason in my opinion that Roger is at RT is because they want to give the young guys valuable reps. They definitely need them.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
The move of Saffold to RT is a pretty obvious indicator of the concern with Havenstein. Saffold wouldn't be taking first team reps if there wasn't a good possibility of him starting the season at RT. It also shows that there is no one else ready or able to step in at RT. Preference would be to leave Saffold at LG to continue the veteran presence next to GRob, but that would leave a worse hole at RT.

As for Wichman and Brown manning the guard positions, the hope is that they take the opportunity and run with it, lots of talent, but more experience needed. Look for them to get a lot of 1st team reps. The value of Reynolds in this equation cannot be underestimated, he gives depth at either guard position and can fill the RT job if needed. The one huge thing that was lacking last year going into the start of the season was a line that had practiced together throughout camp. Not having a set OL until right before the first game, followed by the injuries and all the subsequent OL combinations made for significant challenges, some met, some not.

Look for continued development of Andrew Donnal and the addition of Eric Kush will give a good back-up to Tim Barnes. The battle for the final spot or two will be one of the stories of camp. Williams may be a bit late getting back into full reps as he continues his recovery.

I for one think the OL is going to be a strength of the team, barring last years slew of injuries. Here's to a healthy year!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The move of Saffold to RT is a pretty obvious indicator of the concern with Havenstein. Saffold wouldn't be taking first team reps if there wasn't a good possibility of him starting the season at RT. It also shows that there is no one else ready or able to step in at RT. Preference would be to leave Saffold at LG to continue the veteran presence next to GRob, but that would leave a worse hole at RT.

Sorry but I don't think I've seen a post I disagree with more on this site. Saffold is the most obvious choice to step in while Havenstein is on the PUP list as it disrupts the fewest amount of people. He alone on the line is capable of starting at 4 position so it doesn't require anything special for him to move into RT. Doing this allows guys to get reps at LG/RG to allow them to grow and develop. Moving somebody else into RT would keep Wichman on 2nd team and not getting 1st ream and they seem to like Wichman a lot, especially over Donnal. Putting Saffold at RT is the obvious and easiest choice. Wichman is better at LG than Battle/Williams are at RT so it also puts the best 5 healthy out on the field. I'm not questioning this insider info you said you had on Rob's injury. But the moves they've made to put these 5 in team 1 reps was an obvious choice and not IMO predicated by Havenstein's injury or it's severeness. This was the simple and logical fix and it turns out by talent to also be the correct fix.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Sorry but I don't think I've seen a post I disagree with more on this site. Saffold is the most obvious choice to step in while Havenstein is on the PUP list as it disrupts the fewest amount of people. He alone on the line is capable of starting at 4 position so it doesn't require anything special for him to move into RT. Doing this allows guys to get reps at LG/RG to allow them to grow and develop. Moving somebody else into RT would keep Wichman on 2nd team and not getting 1st ream and they seem to like Wichman a lot, especially over Donnal. Putting Saffold at RT is the obvious and easiest choice. Wichman is better at LG than Battle/Williams are at RT so it also puts the best 5 healthy out on the field. I'm not questioning this insider info you said you had on Rob's injury. But the moves they've made to put these 5 in team 1 reps was an obvious choice and not IMO predicated by Havenstein's injury or it's severeness. This was the simple and logical fix and it turns out by talent to also be the correct fix.

You of course are entitled to your opinion. Don't care if you agree or not.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You of course are entitled to your opinion. Don't care if you agree or not.
Excellently worded and powerfully built rebuttal! I capitulate to your well thought out response! So much for having fun and honest discussions about the Rams :D

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
k
Excellently worded and powerfully built rebuttal! I capitulate to your well thought out response! So much for having fun and honest discussions about the Rams :D

Obviously you have much better sources than I do. I'll just keep my info to myself as you think I'm so wrong. Just trying to give others a little inside info, but if you don't appreciate it, then fine, I've got better things to do.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

As for Wichman and Brown manning the guard positions, the hope is that they take the opportunity and run with it, lots of talent, but more experience needed. Look for them to get a lot of 1st team reps. The value of Reynolds in this equation cannot be underestimated, he gives depth at either guard position and can fill the RT job if needed. The one huge thing that was lacking last year going into the start of the season was a line that had practiced together throughout camp. Not having a set OL until right before the first game, followed by the injuries and all the subsequent OL combinations made for significant challenges, some met, some not.

Look for continued development of Andrew Donnal and the addition of Eric Kush will give a good back-up to Tim Barnes. The battle for the final spot or two will be one of the stories of camp. Williams may be a bit late getting back into full reps as he continues his recovery.

I for one think the OL is going to be a strength of the team, barring last years slew of injuries. Here's to a healthy year!!

I'm not sure about Kush ? Donnal is in troble of making the roster ?? What Rhaney has nonchance to make the squad ?

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I'm not sure about Kush ? Donnal is in troble of making the roster ?? What Rhaney has nonchance to make the squad ?

IMO, Kush is currently the best option to become the back-up center. Don't think Donnal is in much danger of not making roster, in fact, I think you'll see him take a big step forward with a year under his belt and recovery from injury.

As for Rhaney, not saying no chance, but looks like he'll be in a fight to make it along with Battle. The health of Williams, whether or not the Rams carry 9 or 10 OL, and where depth is needed will go a long way in determining some players futures. It's starting to be a good problem, having some potentially quality players who may not make the roster.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
k

Obviously you have much better sources than I do. I'll just keep my info to myself as you think I'm so wrong. Just trying to give others a little inside info, but if you don't appreciate it, then fine, I've got better things to do.
We appreciate all input and opinions from everyone including yourself woofwoofmo :cheers: but without naming names etc, where are you getting this inside info? Friend of a friend of a trainer?
It's natural for folks to be skeptical whenever one claims to have inside sources. That's just the nature of the internet, unfortunately.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
A loss of Rob Havenstein is a big negative here but Rodger Saffold can technically play & start any of four (4) OL posts {OLT/ORT-OLG/ORG}. RS has the smarts & experience to handle for any length of time, any of the those positions as long as he remains uninjured.

Now to the question of the ongoing saga of Saffold's injuries....if Boudreau does go into the season with RS as the starting RT & the usual takes place (injury) the Ram youthful reserve RT backup line is long large & talented too. So IF Saffold was unable to pick up the mantle of starting RT...Snead has Darrell Williams, Isaiah Battle, Andrew Donnal & Jordan Swindle waiting for the opportunity to showcase their skills @ RT. In fact Andrew Donnal (whom most fans including me have trashed) could end up being a more important OL'er in this TC than even Isaiah Battle. Andrew sure has the looks of a pure RT to my eyes. If he has added power to his game then I would not be surprised if he ended up being the starter.

Some Ram fans might pick up the torch of thought that If RS is removed from the equation of playing or starting at one of the interior OG positions the OL will suffer....I see no effect or impact or cause for any alarm of any of that thought myself. We have discussed in many posts & in great detail this electrifying 2016 off season what was seen from our own eyes on the field of play of what current Ram OG's Garrett Reynolds, Jamon Brown & Cody Wichmann are capable of producing once they settle in. This is a very strong nice trio of Ram OG's.... best in a very long time.
This is a great post. Agree with all u stated. Saffold is (IMO) the most talented OL on this squad. Quite honestly a beast. Could be a perennial all pro if healthy. Oh, and he can play any position on that OL. Maybe even center. That's just what I think. But I am hammered and it's my birfday so.....