Rob Havenstein news (cut and paste)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Don't look for him anytime during camp and the pre-season. Hope is, he responds to treatment and doesn't have to go on the PUP to start the season, meaning he misses the first six games.

According to all the info "video, etc" out there, he has been walking around normally, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Hav but Battle is more athletic. I'm not saying just give it to him but if Battle plays well and Hav injuries lingers on Battle should be starter even when he comes back
3rd time is a charm(y)

Battle, IMO, should be BETTER than Havenstein...but of course, lets let this play out on the field...but again, I feel ya...I don't want any LDE to touch Goff b4 4 seconds....hell, give the kid 5.:D

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
No way Battle wins the job over a guy that played last year at a very high level. He may get a shot due to injury though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
3rd time is a charm(y)

Battle, IMO, should be BETTER than Havenstein...but of course, lets let this play out on the field...but again, I feel ya...I don't want any LDE to touch Goff b4 4 seconds....hell, give the kid 5.:D

What's Battles weight? He is listed @ 290 & is over 6-7 tall......Is this what we would prefer on the right outside wing of our strong side OL? Looks like his body type is built perfectly for the weak left side outside to me. I have no issues with Battle working in behind Saffold who was listed as 6-5 332 pounder last season. I believe Saffold is not carrying that amount of weight now. Havenstein was also a great fit @ ORT being 6-7 321 pounder when he has not eaten in a week.

Battle is a great looking prospect for the left side behind Greg Robinson & it would be even better if he had put some power & size to legs to be the game day swing OT. I thought that Havenstein as a rookie was our best overall OL'er in 2015 season. Did that with two different lower leg injuries! Battle even though he was active on the 53 player roster never saw the field period.

Let Saffold be! Saffold is being paid big to play. Let him start @ tackle. If Boudreau still has concerns over GRob @ OLT & the need for a OLG to supervise him on each play called then just continue with the veteran Garrett Reynolds who looked good @ starting @ left OG. Boudreau has never had it this good.;)

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What's Battles weight? He is listed @ 290 & is over 6-7 tall
I'd guess he's clearly over 320 right now...probably closer to 340 lbs...He's the biggest player on the team...and like I mentioned, looks very well put together...

Left & right tackle positions have blurred...As speed & power DE's are also on both sides...I'll always remember J. Houston giving Barksdale the business from the L DE position...mostly power/bull rushes...

I'm all for Battle being a swing tackle...I'm also interested in seeing Williams this year too. We need to be prepared if Havenstein isn't available, remember, we'll play a game in what, 10 days? Less? I also believe that missing camp is terrible for these young players...If his ankle/foot/toe is hurt now, getting ready for the start of the season is gonna be a problem.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd guess he's clearly over 320 right now...probably closer to 340 lbs...He's the biggest player on the team...and like I mentioned, looks very well put together...

Left & right tackle positions have blurred...As speed & power DE's are also on both sides...I'll always remember J. Houston giving Barksdale the business from the L DE position...mostly power/bull rushes...

I'm all for Battle being a swing tackle...I'm also interested in seeing Williams this year too. We need to be prepared if Havenstein isn't available, remember, we'll play a game in what, 10 days? Less? I also believe that missing camp is terrible for these young players...If his ankle/foot/toe is hurt now, getting ready for the start of the season is gonna be a problem.

:wow::shocked: IF Battle has put on some serious muscle & power to his quickness & speed things could go very well for the Rams. I have yet to find any of my tagged Ram sites listings of Isaiah Battles new poundage yet. Most have him listed as the lightest Ram OL'er @ 290 still. But Isaiah Battle is closer to 6-8 than 6-7 & has those extra long arms. IB would be the tallest Ram on the team & if he is close to the weight as you have suggested he would be the overall biggest we have. When I seen tubes of both Saffold & GRob without pads in TC I can clearly see where GRob does make Rodger Saffold look like a smaller man. I have not seen much of IB yet so I will have my eyes open for No# 77.

You say that IB has numerous injuries presently??? Isaiah does have some young brainy competition to fight off in Darrell & Andrew both are technically sound to have seen plenty of action in the lineup last season, but both are without the prototype NFL body of IB. The body that Isaiah has just reeks of prototype left tackle. Great insurance if GRob continues to under perform as a starter @ OLT. Your comment on the blurred left vs right OT lines has plenty of merit but you still desire to aim for much of the old school design still today where your run dominate team will have great demands on a strong large right OT.

With the starter @ ORT Havenstein now on the shelf PUP then the Camp & pre season back up OT battles is not so muddy. Those back up OL'ers who are mainly OT's (DW/AD/IB) will need to show they can play several positons to make the master roster as we all know with Boudreau. Both DW & AD have checked the box in this area last season IB has not. Andrew Donnal is the OL'er most helped with the Havenstein injury because the OL'er that replaced him as starter (Rodger Saffold) can play both OG posts plus OT and that's what Andrew Donnal has done well since he was drafted here. He might fill some of the void that Saffold plugged up until he went outside.

The back up center spot should come into better vision shortly between the four centers DR/EK/BF/DA. Erik Kush seems to be this forums favorite to win that spot @ the moment. Kush also has the ability & size to play both OG posts in an emergency.