Right out of Fisher's mouth Goff is ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Fisher is not going to pull Keenum until we at least lose another game in an ugly fashion. You don't think Goff would be in there if Fisher felt confident that he was ready for NFL Ds and all their looks? You don't think he has seen the zip and accuracy he can put on the ball? Is there any way Fisher doesn't know what exactly he has with his #1 pick? I'd venture to say things are close for Goff hitting the field but Fisher is not about to insert him until this team is not on a winning streak. Let's face it. This Rams team is on the edge of success. It wouldn't take much for them to trend either way. Start committing a bunch of turnovers and the W-L tally goes south in a hurry. Get Gurley and this O going and the Ws will stack up like used condoms at a navy port on docking night. Fisher isn't going to make any abrupt strategy changes while things are slightly trending up. It just isn't going to happen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
At 3-1, I don't know the answer.

What I do know is;
  • We are 32nd in offensive yards per game.
  • 30th in passing yards per game.
  • 30th in points per game.
So while we might be 3-1, let's not ignore the fact the offense isn't good enough right now.

Teams do not make the playoffs averaging 15.8 points per game.

If Goff can generate more offense, he should be starting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's from 13 days ago, btw. I just went to the link.

f8e93cac830c44ac8fa2510687ff6e52.png

Oh, my bad.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is not nonsense. Players don't like change and you don't lose your position to someone who has never played a down. Especially when the team is winning. That sends a bad message to the rest of the team and puts doubt in the locker room.

If Keenum was playing poorly and he isn't, if the team was losing and they aren't THEN you might put Goff in IF he's tearing it up on the practice field IF he's getting reps with the ones.

Bart, that is total nonsense. These guys have played football long enough to know that you certainly can lose your position to someone who has never played a down. It doesn't send any message to the team other than, "I think we can do better at that position." It doesn't put doubt in the locker-room. Do you see any doubt in the Eagles locker-room?

This isn't the sort of thing that divides a locker-room.

And BTW, Keenum is playing poorly relative to his peers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand why it bothers you jrry. It's just the circumstances being what they are. Everything he said is true.

The Eagles said after drafting Wentz he may not play at all this year. Bridgewater got hurt and the Vikings were desperate and called a couple of teams and ended up pulling the trigger for Bradford so Wentz then became the starter. Prescott is playing because Romo got hurt. Griffin AND McCown are both out for a long time so Kessler is playing.

You can bet that if Keenum got hurt Goff would be playing.

It bothers me because it tells us exactly what Fisher's philosophy is. Rookie QBs shouldn't start early on. Rather than focusing on the success those guys had, he came up with a justification of why they're playing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Bart, that is total nonsense. These guys have played football long enough to know that you certainly can lose your position to someone who has never played a down. It doesn't send any message to the team other than, "I think we can do better at that position." It doesn't put doubt in the locker-room. Do you see any doubt in the Eagles locker-room?

This isn't the sort of thing that divides a locker-room.

And BTW, Keenum is playing poorly relative to his peers.
We'll just have to disagree on this one jrry.

I am looking forward to seeing what Goff can do I have high hopes that he will be a great addition for years to come. However right now it ain't broke and I don't know if he wold fix it or fuck it up. I'd prefer to wait until Keenum is hurt or the team needs a boost. Neither of those is the current situation with the Rams

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think that's accurate. He already has a 4th quarter comeback and a game-winning drive on his stat sheet. If he's not out there winning games, then why even have a stat like that? I do agree that he alone isn't winning any games. No QB is out there winning games by himself, because he's not blocking for himself, he's not catching his own passes, and he's not keeping the other team from scoring.

Because people like stats. Let's say QB A puts up 400 yards of passing and 5 TDs. His team is leading 35-21 going into the 4th quarter. They win 42-28. QB B puts up 150 yards of passing, 1 TD, and 2 Ints. His team is trailing 13-10 going into the 4th quarter. They win 17-13. Which QB gets credited with a game winning drive and a 4th quarter comeback? Which QB contributed to his team's win more?

I disagree that he's one of the worst at his position though. I just don't see that as being the case over the past few weeks, despite what the numbers may tell you. Numbers don't win games. Heart and determination wins games. So while it may be misleading to attribute any wins to Keenum (in your opinion), it would be equally misleading to pretend he has nothing to do with them.

Numbers do win games. The numbers on the scoreboard are what decides the game. I'm not one to subscribe to stats as the end-all-be-all, but the numbers here are pretty self-explanatory. The Rams passing game is easily bottom 10 in the NFL. Teams win games. Two of our three wins were due to the defense and special teams. I'll give the offense and Keenum a lot of credit for the Tampa Bay game. As a QB, you're simply not getting the job done if your offense isn't producing points. Keenum's offense has produced 17 or less points in 3 out of his 4 starts this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll just have to disagree on this one jrry.

I am looking forward to seeing what Goff can do I have high hopes that he will be a great addition for years to come. However right now it ain't broke and I don't know if he wold fix it or freak it up. I'd prefer to wait until Keenum is hurt or the team needs a boost. Neither of those is the current situation with the Rams

One can easily argue that the team needs a boost.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You are arguing that Keenum is not playing bad?:ROFLMAO: I'll tell you what, I'll give you $5.00 for every retired NFL QB that agrees with your analysis, and you give me $1.00 for every QB that agrees with me and we'll see who gets to $100.00 first. Troy Aikman and Steve Young agree with me, that's $2.00 and I haven't even started!
As to the statement that teams don't like change, that is not true. I have watched countless games where a backup QB has stepped in and created a spark that was positive for the teams performance. If Goff stepped in for Keenum and threw for 500 yards and 6 touchdowns I seriously doubt that you would find one person in the locker room that would say, "I really did not like making that change." So it is not logical to make that statement that teams don't like change. They like change when it has a positive outcome! That cannot be disputed! Putting the best players on the field does not send a bad message, nor does it put doubt in the rest of the team. Not sure where you come up with that reasoning, show me where an NFL player said, that putting better players on the field is a bad thing. Good luck with that. I didn't see this team protest or take a step backwards when Troy Hill, a player that never played a down in the NFL, replaced Sensabaugh. So again, the statement that teams do not like change has NO LOGIC.
Goff was drafted #1, that is not a surprise to anyone on this team. Goff was drafted #1 to play as the starting QB, that is not a news flash to anyone on this team. Goff was drafted #1 because he is a better player than Keenum, again that is not news to anyone on this team.
This team is not winning "because" of Keenum. Keenum has heart and is helping this team, and has contributed to the wins, but if this defense is not as great as it is, then the Rams go 0-4, no doubt!! But the idea that Goff can't do what Keenum is doing is absolutely asinine, but if that were the case then Fisher and company should be fired and would probably be banned from the NFL due to the absolute incompetence. Goff may not be a HOF, but to not even be as good as Keenum? GET REAL:D
I really don't care what any retired anyone thinks to be honest.

My position is that the team is winning with Keenum at QB and you just don't mess with that. Especially the QB with a guy who has never taken a snap and by all accounts from the coaching staff was not ready to play at the beginning of the year.

When he is ready, he will play and I hope he is great. But right now Keenum and the rest of the team is getting done and getting better each week.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Since week one, Keenum has improved every single week. He could have probably had a 300+ 3 TD game vs Arizona if G Rob didn't let him down with those penalties. It just doesn't make sense to me why you would bench him just because we are hearing reports the Goff is ready. I want to see Goff start as much as anyone but at this time I'm ok with letting Keenum continue to lead this team.

Athos

Legend
When he is ready, he will play and I hope he is great. But right now Keenum and the rest of the team is getting done and getting better each week.

This confuses me.

They got shellacked opening night with the D giving up 28 points. A team giving up an average of 35/game outside of the Rams. They come back, almost shutout the Hags (not even a surprising result anymore) and follow that up by giving up 32 to the Bucs and likely would have given up far more if not for the Bucs rookie kicker being the worst in the league. Then come back to give up only 13 to the Cards but only score 17 with 5 TOs.

Seems to me they vacillate between "good enough" on O, to being downright dreadful on D. With a still league worst offense both running passing.

Wouldn't exactly call that getting better every week. And there's nothing to write home about with a QB turning the ball over at an equal rate of TDs while completing 55% for under 7 yards/attempt.

Not that I think Goff will start regardless, but there's little to harp on about Keenum's stat line.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If he is ready then he needs to play
Absolutely.

I'm having fun watching Keenum's scrappy play, but Goff needs to start when he's ready. Regardless of how well or how poor Keenum is playing.
We all kow Goff was drafted to be our starting QB. Get him ready and let him rip it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I wonder if we will get an announcement early in the week when they do finally make the switch or if it will be a game time surprise.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since week one, Keenum has improved every single week. He could have probably had a 300+ 3 TD game vs Arizona if G Rob didn't let him down with those penalties. It just doesn't make sense to me why you would bench him just because we are hearing reports the Goff is ready. I want to see Goff start as much as anyone but at this time I'm ok with letting Keenum continue to lead this team.

It makes perfect sense. Goff was a #1 overall pick. He's an incredible talent. The Rams traded up for him despite having Keenum on the roster. You don't make that move if you believe Keenum is your guy.

Goff is this team's guy. When he's ready, he should start. They moved up to take him because they believed he could take this team to a Super Bowl.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's too much angst here! Let me just call Fisher and find out when Goff is starting. Hold on.