Right out of Fisher's mouth Goff is ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yea, I think RFIP is hearing what he wants to hear.

View: https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnfl/jeff-fisher-says-jared-goff-close-to-being-ready-to-start

Fisher said, "His time is coming" while describing Todd Gurley.

However, the last comment he made in the clip above bothers me.(the bit about other rookie QBs starting because of change in circumstance/injuries)

That's from 13 days ago, btw. I just went to the link.

f8e93cac830c44ac8fa2510687ff6e52.png

fearsomefour

Legend
Great news.
Of course ready means the coach is seeing he has command of things. Ready means ready to get on the field and play like a rookie.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This may be a dumb question - but has Fisher said that as soon as Goff is ready that the job is his?

In other words, is there anything standing in Goff's way of starting other than Goff or does Case's play factor in at all?

I assume the mantra will be - we will play the QB that gives us the best chance to win. The better Case plays, the higher the bar is for Goff to be deemed 'ready' - right?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is not nonsense. Players don't like change and you don't lose your position to someone who has never played a down. Especially when the team is winning. That sends a bad message to the rest of the team and puts doubt in the locker room.

If Keenum was playing poorly and he isn't, if the team was losing and they aren't THEN you might put Goff in IF he's tearing it up on the practice field IF he's getting reps with the ones.
Garbage! Players want what gives them the best chance to improve their next contract and that means putting up better numbers. If they feel Goff does that over Keenum and can win games at the same or better rate then they'll fully embrace Goff. To think also that those players in the locker room don't know that Goff is the future is just folly.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think Fisher will let Keenum ride momentum. Soon as we lose a game or Case has a bad game, It's Goff time.

Yeah, my guess is Keenum plays until we lose or looks absolutely horrible. I'm on the Goff train but as long as we are winning it's hard to argue against him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I forget sometimes that Goff is even on the team. It's like we didn't even have a draft last year. Literally not one rookie that's worth anything is starting.

Bruce2980

Starter
It is not nonsense. Players don't like change and you don't lose your position to someone who has never played a down. Especially when the team is winning. That sends a bad message to the rest of the team and puts doubt in the locker room.

If Keenum was playing poorly and he isn't, if the team was losing and they aren't THEN you might put Goff in IF he's tearing it up on the practice field IF he's getting reps with the ones.

You are arguing that Keenum is not playing bad?:ROFLMAO: I'll tell you what, I'll give you $5.00 for every retired NFL QB that agrees with your analysis, and you give me $1.00 for every QB that agrees with me and we'll see who gets to $100.00 first. Troy Aikman and Steve Young agree with me, that's $2.00 and I haven't even started!
As to the statement that teams don't like change, that is not true. I have watched countless games where a backup QB has stepped in and created a spark that was positive for the teams performance. If Goff stepped in for Keenum and threw for 500 yards and 6 touchdowns I seriously doubt that you would find one person in the locker room that would say, "I really did not like making that change." So it is not logical to make that statement that teams don't like change. They like change when it has a positive outcome! That cannot be disputed! Putting the best players on the field does not send a bad message, nor does it put doubt in the rest of the team. Not sure where you come up with that reasoning, show me where an NFL player said, that putting better players on the field is a bad thing. Good luck with that. I didn't see this team protest or take a step backwards when Troy Hill, a player that never played a down in the NFL, replaced Sensabaugh. So again, the statement that teams do not like change has NO LOGIC.
Goff was drafted #1, that is not a surprise to anyone on this team. Goff was drafted #1 to play as the starting QB, that is not a news flash to anyone on this team. Goff was drafted #1 because he is a better player than Keenum, again that is not news to anyone on this team.
This team is not winning "because" of Keenum. Keenum has heart and is helping this team, and has contributed to the wins, but if this defense is not as great as it is, then the Rams go 0-4, no doubt!! But the idea that Goff can't do what Keenum is doing is absolutely asinine, but if that were the case then Fisher and company should be fired and would probably be banned from the NFL due to the absolute incompetence. Goff may not be a HOF, but to not even be as good as Keenum? GET REAL:D

MFaulk107

The Realness
I think it's very much the opposite. I've never seen fragile confidence in Goff. The guy started as a true freshman on a team that went 1-11. He played his ass off every week and got better every week in college, even while his team lost. This isn't a kid who folds when the chips are down.

Goff's development is being hurt by not getting him game reps and experience.

I think people on this board lose sight of how a team earns wins and losses. Case Keenum isn't out there winning games. The Los Angeles Rams are winning games. Case Keenum is one part of the team. If you judge Case Keenum's performance relative to his peers around the NFL, he's been one of the worst at his position. The Rams are winning. But it would be misleading to attribute it to Keenum.

Refusing to play Goff until Keenum starts costing the Rams games is the type of move that should get a coach fired.

No. What I am saying is that the Rams have to determine whether to play Goff or not based on zero regular season snaps unless Keenum gets injured. So that being the argument against playing him doesn't hold water.

I think you're misunderstanding the comments. Goff can be a better option than Mannion while still not being ready enough to unseat Keenum. I don't necessarily think that's true. But it's possible.(and to clarify, I think Goff is absolutely a better option than Mannion...I don't understand the Mannion love on here)
I think it's very much the opposite. I've never seen fragile confidence in Goff. The guy started as a true freshman on a team that went 1-11. He played his ass off every week and got better every week in college, even while his team lost. This isn't a kid who folds when the chips are down.

Goff's development is being hurt by not getting him game reps and experience.

I think people on this board lose sight of how a team earns wins and losses. Case Keenum isn't out there winning games. The Los Angeles Rams are winning games. Case Keenum is one part of the team. If you judge Case Keenum's performance relative to his peers around the NFL, he's been one of the worst at his position. The Rams are winning. But it would be misleading to attribute it to Keenum.

Refusing to play Goff until Keenum starts costing the Rams games is the type of move that should get a coach fired.

No. What I am saying is that the Rams have to determine whether to play Goff or not based on zero regular season snaps unless Keenum gets injured. So that being the argument against playing him doesn't hold water.

I think you're misunderstanding the comments. Goff can be a better option than Mannion while still not being ready enough to unseat Keenum. I don't necessarily think that's true. But it's possible.(and to clarify, I think Goff is absolutely a better option than Mannion...I don't understand the Mannion love on here)
I get that. MAYBE THEY ALREADY DETERMINED. And what they determined is that he won't play. Because Case is winning. 3-1

RamWoodie

Legend
"The time is coming" is a far cry from "Goff is ready".

All you really have is a strong statement to Goff making progress in PRACTICE.

Let's don't confuse great practice reps with being ready.

At this point Goff is gonna stay where he is..."GETTING GREAT REPS".

We could see him "mopping up" when games are on ice though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But the idea that Goff can't do what Keenum is doing is absolutely asinine,
No it's not. There are absolutely things that Keenum is doing that Goff can't do (yet). What's asinine is thinking that a green rookie out of a spread offense can do everything a seasoned vet with experience in a pro NFL system can do. Right now the only thing we know about Goff is that he was good in college (as was Keenum), and that he has a strong arm with good accuracy. What we don't know is if he has mastered the QB/center exchange, that he can recognize defenses, that he can make the right reads, that he can make the same sight adjustments the receivers make, that he understands all the plays, that he can remember all the plays, or if he can call his own protections.

If you know that he can do all that, you can have my $1.00 also.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If I were a bettin man .......Announcement happens during bye week.
I'm not so sure about that! The first game after the Bye Week is against the Panthers, I don't know that I want that to be Goff's 1st game!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
After we lose 37-9 to Buffalo, Goff starts.

Bank it.
:redcard::palm:" Never-Ever-Going-to-Happen!!" Bank on it!!:fighting:
(check my winnings vs yours and guess who stands a better chance of winning his bet!?!)

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Keenum is playing ok and leaving a lot of plays on the field. He hasn't won a game for us yet defense has won every game

Bruce2980

Starter
No it's not. There are absolutely things that Keenum is doing that Goff can't do (yet). What's asinine is thinking that a green rookie out of a spread offense can do everything a seasoned vet with experience in a pro NFL system can do. Right now the only thing we know about Goff is that he was good in college (as was Keenum), and that he has a strong arm with good accuracy. What we don't know is if he has mastered the QB/center exchange, that he can recognize defenses, that he can make the right reads, that he can make the same sight adjustments the receivers make, that he understands all the plays, that he can remember all the plays, or if he can call his own protections.

If you know that he can do all that, you can have my $1.00 also.
If Goff hasn't mastered the QB center exchange then there is no way IMHO that Fisher says, without being a liar, Goff is ready to go. If Goff needs two months or more to master that, we are all in for a rough ride if anything happens to Keenum. I also think it would be irresponsible for a HC to put him in as the #2 guy if he can't even get the exchange from center consistently in practice. If he can't do one or any of the other things on that list, then maybe he isn't ready to be the #1 or even the #2, and if those things are not evident to this coaching staff during the week, then we need some new coaches.
There are plenty of QBs that misread defenses every week, and make mistakes with everyone one of the items on that list, but it doesn't mean that they can't do it.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If Goff hasn't mastered the QB center exchange then there is no way IMHO that Fisher says, without being a liar, Goff is ready to go. If Goff needs two months or more to master that, we are all in for a rough ride if anything happens to Keenum. I also think it would be irresponsible for a HC to put him in as the #2 guy if he can't even get the exchange from center consistently in practice. If he can't do one or any of the other things on that list, then maybe he isn't ready to be the #1 or #2, and if those things are not evident to this coaching staff during the week then we need some new coaches.
Lotta non-sequiturs there, m'man.
Let's just say when Goff starts, we'll all know it.
That's the only indisputable comment there is.
So .... PERIOD! lol.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The panthers are crap Dave.
True! for right now, But with Rivera as their HC, in 3-4 weeks they could turn things around! " Then again, It just came to me, They well be Playing at the "Coliseum" I take back my previous statement! It may be a good start time for Goff, IF Keenum doesn't keep his Win streak going!(y);):snicker::shades::popcorn:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Goff is ready, he should be starting.

Well I state this. The Rams should play the best player at position. When you do it is questionable.

-I think Goff does need first team reps Though . If that is what Fisher meant then Goff is ready.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. I would bet my career on the guy I traded multiple firsts for to take at #1. Because I already have.
This
And it didn't affect Fisher when he staked his career on Keenum in game 1 and rolled snake eyes

On a side note, I've seen suggestions that it could divide the locker room if Fisher made a switch.
How do we know who the players support?
The WR are the ones catching balls from Goff/Keenum when we aren't watching. Wouldn't surprise me to find that they would welcome a change because Goff would give them the downfield threat they need.
I know it was only TV but there was more than one occasion during Hard Knocks where Goff would make a throw that their jaws would drop....

In any event, damn you @jrry32 because reading thru this thread has me wanting Goff back there again, just when I was resigned to not seeing him any time soon!!! Haha