Right out of Fisher's mouth Goff is ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a bit stretchy for me.

All this means is that he is pointing out that 2 of these guys wouldn't be playing if not for injury and the third is playing because of TWO injuries. Not talking about how they are playing doesn't mean a lot since he was being asked about the Rams.

I don't think it is. He went out of his way to point out that those teams had no choice but to start their rookie QBs.

Pure speculation on your part.Just because Fisher has done that in the past doesn't mean
he is bound to do it the same way every time.If Goff was lighting it up in training camp,had a firm grasp of the
offense and the oline was performing well,then we probably see him starting sooner.Those things didn't happen.

I'm not even talking about Fisher's past here. I'm talking about his comment.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
It's a tough call right now for sure. I do understand what jrry32 is saying Keenum has left a lot of plays on the field if he makes a couple of good throws last week he has 300 easy. Fisher did not say Goff is ready to go in that so I'm not sure where everyone is getting that from. I'm just going to enjoy us winning and when it's time it's time. Doesn't change my life either way

RamWoodie

Legend
Exactly! Goff can definitely generate more offense. And who knows, he may make our WR look pretty good in the process.
I didn't see that in preseason...so where do you come up with that? Last I remember he was turnover prone.

I'm kidding...but seriously, what makes you think Goff can generate more offense when he hasn't even shown he's up to starting?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Goff is this team's guy. When he's ready, he should start. They moved up to take him because they believed he could take this team to a Super Bowl.

And Fisher has said as much. "When he's ready, he will play" and "We're going to get to that at some point".

Maybe the practice field performance makes him ready. Maybe it's not the practice field performance that gets him into the lineup. Maybe it's got to be a blowout loss that gets him on the field and he puts up a couple of scores. Then the next week he's the guy. I've heard so much about how important it is to prepare all week in practice for an upcoming game. If he's not getting the overwhelming majority of the snaps in practice, he's not going to start. And as long as Keenum is the starter, he'll get the majority of practice snaps. So it would seem, unless Keenum has a god awful game we lose by a lot and Goff comes in and performs well, Goff won't get the snaps in practice. And as much as I want to see Goff, I can't root for a god awful loss. I'm sure it'll happen anyway but I can't root for it.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I didn't see that in preseason...so where do you come up with that? Last I remember he was turnover prone.

I'm kidding...but seriously, what makes you think Goff can generate more offense when he hasn't even shown he's up to starting?

1. His college tape.
2. He showed flashes of a big arm in the preseason.

RamWoodie

Legend
1. His college tape.
2. He showed flashes of a big arm in the preseason.
Well I don't think that unreasonable...BUT...what you're saying basically is you see "potential" in Goff. I see the same EXCEPT...contrary to you and many others who exhibit pure impatience when it comes to Goff you don't see what Fisher and I have seen or you don't care. You simply want to see Goff out there.

Of course Goff showed a big arm in preseason...BUT...more than that he showed a big learning curve too. If you're going to be objective about what you saw in preseason you're either denying the obvious or you just didn't see that Goff has a ways to go.

When you have have a decent QB on hand...and a rookie in the wings...it's very logical to take your time and prepare that rookie...ESPECIALLY when he's shown he needs that.

I think the Rams coaching staff is doing it right. There's no need to hurry Goff with what they invested to get him! You put him out there when you know he has the reps he needs and you see he has a grasp of your offense...and more than that a concept of NFL defenses.

Goff doesn't have that now...but I think he will...but it could be sooner or later..

lockdnram21

Legend
It's a tough call right now for sure. I do understand what jrry32 is saying Keenum has left a lot of plays on the field if he makes a couple of good throws last week he has 300 easy. Fisher did not say Goff is ready to go in that so I'm not sure where everyone is getting that from. I'm just going to enjoy us winning and when it's time it's time. Doesn't change my life either way
If Quick and Tavon Catch the ball he has over 300

RamWoodie

Legend
Inappropriate comment;), not going to happen, Goff still starts soon, he'll beat Keenum out of the job and he will start soon. The coaches are going to field the best players, that is obviously the best guarantee of continued victory. That may also help out the o-lines run blocking and spring Gurley, can't leave the best QB on the bench for the season. If Goff is really ready, he's in soon and I don't see Fisher blowing smoke about Goff, he's got Sensebaugh on the bench, not even playing special teams because there are better players on the field.
Based on this...I don't expect to see Goff until next year...ESPECIALLY since Keenum is getting better too. Keenum getting better means there's no need to hurry Goff.

Keenum played his best game to date against Arizona. Buffalo will be another stern test and if Keenum does even better against Buffalo, it would naturally follow he solidifies himself even more as the starter.

I know you aren't going to tell me Goff is ready to face the Buffalo defense...are you?

Shoman01

Rookie
Ready for what, going to Staple by himself to buy pens so he can make notes on his clipboard?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I went to several Rams TC practices at Irvine, including the last one, and to my eyes Goff showed plenty of potential and a big arm. but was clearly not reading defenses and making adjustments at the line, and still had a lot to learn before he started. He could start now, but be ready to accept mistakes and turnovers.

RamWoodie

Legend
I went to several Rams TC practices at Irvine, including the last one, and to my eyes Goff showed plenty of potential and a big arm. but was clearly not reading defenses and making adjustments at the line, and still had a lot to learn before he started. He could start now, but be ready to accept mistakes and turnovers.
I think sometime soon we're going to get an up front honest explanation when it comes to Goff. I hope so anyway.

This is no longer a time of open practices like in preseason. All of us are basically in the dark about what Goff is doing except via the coaching staff. To hold down distraction as well as to control the media we are not going know Goff is ready until Fisher says so.

When you look at what he says now bank on it...it's broad and vague as well as open to interpretation. Simply read what the OP said is "right out of Fisher's mouth" when it's far from what he says Fisher said. When Fiser said "his time is coming"...that's FAR from a definitive time..."TIME" is the key word because time is always going! It could be tomorrow or next year...because that all refers to "TIME"...!!!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Well I don't think that unreasonable...BUT...what you're saying basically is you see "potential" in Goff. I see the same EXCEPT...contrary to you and many others who exhibit pure impatience when it comes to Goff you don't see what Fisher and I have seen or you don't care. You simply want to see Goff out there.

Of course Goff showed a big arm in preseason...BUT...more than that he showed a big learning curve too. If you're going to be objective about what you saw in preseason you're either denying the obvious or you just didn't see that Goff has a ways to go.

When you have have a decent QB on hand...and a rookie in the wings...it's very logical to take your time and prepare that rookie...ESPECIALLY when he's shown he needs that.

I think the Rams coaching staff is doing it right. There's no need to hurry Goff with what they invested to get him! You put him out there when you know he has the reps he needs and you see he has a grasp of your offense...and more than that a concept of NFL defenses.

Goff doesn't have that now...but I think he will...but it could be sooner or later..

You're 100% correct, my man. When I see Goff, I see unlimited potential.

Here's something we can both agree upon: At some point, Goff will take over the reigns and the entire team will be better because of it.

RamWoodie

Legend
You're 100% correct, my man. When I see Goff, I see unlimited potential.

Here's something we can both agree upon: At some point, Goff will take over the reigns and the entire team will be better because of it.
What you see is not unwarranted...but that "point" at which Goff gets the reugns is gonna be longer than you think...PUT THAT DOWN>

Do yourself a favor read this:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...re-how-use-college-spread-qbs-clayton-mailbag

That is what hinders Goff right now! There are several variations of the college spread offense...unfortuantely Cal uses a system that really doesn't help a College QB when he gets to the NFL!!!

It's why coming out of preseason Goff was QB3!

Lastly...put this down, because you probably won't believe it, but Mannion is being sacrificed..to get Goff up to speed...he easily outplayed Goff in preseason.

Goff has the best arm...but to get on the field...his MIND has to catch up to his arm!!!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
What you see is not unwarranted...but that "point" at which Goff gets the reugns is gonna be longer than you think...PUT THAT DOWN>

Do yourself a favor read this:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...re-how-use-college-spread-qbs-clayton-mailbag

That is what hinders Goff right now! There are several variations of the college spread offense...unfortuantely Cal uses a system that really doesn't help a College QB when he gets to the NFL!!!

It's why coming out of preseason Goff was QB3!

Lastly...put this down, because you probably won't believe it, but Mannion is being sacrificed..to get Goff up to speed...he easily outplayed Goff in preseason.

Goff has the best arm...but to get on the field...his MIND has to catch up to his arm!!!

I don't consider Goff a spread QB. And he certainly knows how to go through his progressions.

The only reason he's on the bench is to get some meat on him.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
something that really stuck out to me either the last game or the game before, we had a bad possession and Keenum was on an iPad with the coaches, trying to figure out what went wrong, meanwhile, God was sitting next to him staring straight ahead with the most blank look I've ever seen. That kid needs to get on the ball and be on that iPad as well trying to dissect what went wrong, not just being around them because he's supposed to.

And don't get me wrong, I was and am a Goff guy, he's going to be a great starter but he really needs to be working on the sidelines when he's not playing to start getting more and more of a feel for these defenses so when he does get it he is more prepared. As long as we're winning, he shouldn't play. I don't care if it's pretty winning or ugly, a win is a win and I want every one we can get

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
something that really stuck out to me either the last game or the game before, we had a bad possession and Keenum was on an iPad with the coaches, trying to figure out what went wrong, meanwhile, God was sitting next to him staring straight ahead with the most blank look I've ever seen. That kid needs to get on the ball and be on that iPad as well trying to dissect what went wrong, not just being around them because he's supposed to.

And don't get me wrong, I was and am a Goff guy, he's going to be a great starter but he really needs to be working on the sidelines when he's not playing to start getting more and more of a feel for these defenses so when he does get it he is more prepared. As long as we're winning, he shouldn't play. I don't care if it's pretty winning or ugly, a win is a win and I want every one we can get

I hear what you are saying and agree he needs to be working his tail off preparing.

But in fairness; Goff might have already looked at the tablet photos and/or since he's on the sideline might be fully up to speed thru his headset. Keenum was playing and might have been catching up.

Point being; it's difficult to draw a conclusion off an observation from what we have access to on TV.