Right out of Fisher's mouth Goff is ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MFaulk107

The Realness
This doesn't make sense. If Keenum plays crappy, Goff still hasn't played a regular season snap. The Rams are going to have to determine he's the better QB without him playing a regular season snap unless Keenum gets hurt.
They have to determine right now your saying? Keenum is playing alright right now meaning they have already determined that. I think that's why he is still starting(or Goff isn't ready, Jeff tends to "lie"). Or they'll have to determine after this Sunday game your saying? If so then we wait.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Even though I don't think that Fisher is the best x's and O's coach, he has been coaching long enough to know that he can't take the chance of replacing his winning,starting QB without a really good reason. Because if he does and Goff doesn't play well enough to win,he will not only have hurt Goff's development and confidence, he will most likely lose the team's confidence as well as his own job at the end of the year.
And I think that he is smart enough to realize those possibilities.
The world looks differently when you are talking about yours and other people's careers and not just what some impatient fan's want to see.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, Fisher didn't say Goff is ready? If he isn't then Mannion should be second string IMO, unless Mannion isn't ready either, in which case, Fisher's says he's screwed if Keenum goes down so he may as well let Goff think he is ready to build his confidence.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even though I don't think that Fisher is the best x's and O's coach, he has been coaching long enough to know that he can't take the chance of replacing his winning,starting QB without a really good reason. Because if he does and Goff doesn't play well enough to win,he will not only have hurt Goff's development and confidence, he will most likely lose the team's confidence as well as his own job at the end of the year.
The world looks differently when you are talking about yours and other people's careers and not just what some impatient fan's want to see.

Yeah it's a fine line. He has put Goff in a bad spot if the Rams don't win right away with him. But you can't coach scared. They don't draft scared. They don't play d scared. They don't play special teams scared. Why should the offense suffer from being scared?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think it's very much the opposite. I've never seen fragile confidence in Goff. The guy started as a true freshman on a team that went 1-11. He played his ass off every week and got better every week in college, even while his team lost. This isn't a kid who folds when the chips are down.

Goff's development is being hurt by not getting him game reps and experience.

I think people on this board lose sight of how a team earns wins and losses. Case Keenum isn't out there winning games. The Los Angeles Rams are winning games. Case Keenum is one part of the team. If you judge Case Keenum's performance relative to his peers around the NFL, he's been one of the worst at his position. The Rams are winning. But it would be misleading to attribute it to Keenum.

Refusing to play Goff until Keenum starts costing the Rams games is the type of move that should get a coach fired.

They have to determine right now your saying? Keenum is playing alright right now meaning they have already determined that. I think that's why he is still starting(or Goff isn't ready, Jeff tends to "lie"). Or they'll have to determine after this Sunday game your saying? If so then we wait.

No. What I am saying is that the Rams have to determine whether to play Goff or not based on zero regular season snaps unless Keenum gets injured. So that being the argument against playing him doesn't hold water.

So, Fisher didn't sat Goff is ready? If he isn't then Mannion should be second string IMO, unless Mannion isn't ready either, in which case, Fisher's says he's screwed if Keenum goes down so he may as well let Goff think he is ready to build his confidence.

I think you're misunderstanding the comments. Goff can be a better option than Mannion while still not being ready enough to unseat Keenum. I don't necessarily think that's true. But it's possible.(and to clarify, I think Goff is absolutely a better option than Mannion...I don't understand the Mannion love on here)

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Refusing to play Goff until Keenum starts costing the Rams games is the type of move that should get a coach fired.
So, you would bet your career on Goff not struggling at all in his first NFL duty based on his college experience? Even though he has struggled to learn the offense and other aspects of the Ram's offense?
I doubt that very much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, you would bet your career on Goff not struggling at all in his first NFL duty based on his college experience? Even though he has struggled to learn the offense and other aspects of the Ram's offense?
I doubt that very much.

Yes. I would bet my career on the guy I traded multiple firsts for to take at #1. Because I already have.

And nobody gives a crap if Goff struggles in his first game. We have 12 games left. One loss doesn't make or break us. I'll take my chances on Goff struggling if he has the verbiage and his drops down because I know he'll get better and better with experience.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I doubt that very much.

I think what it all comes down to is Keenum doesn't turn the ball over much and Fisher thinks Goff will. Fisher only ever says that Case gives the team the best chance to win. He doesn't say he is a very good QB. I think if he trusted Goff to limit turnovers, then he would play him.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yes. I would bet my career on the guy I traded multiple firsts for to take at #1. Because I already have.

And nobody gives a crap if Goff struggles in his first game. We have 12 games left. One loss doesn't make or break us. I'll take my chances on Goff struggling if he has the verbiage and his drops down because I know he'll get better and better with experience.
Yeah but I'd bet the house that the rest of the team will care if the rookie loses games with rookie mistakes when he doesn't even need to be in the game. That only works if Goff is the only option left or if he gets a chance to prove that he's ready because Keenum is out injured. Now, if Keenum plays so bad that they are losing you can get away with playing Goff, but not before one of those things comes up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but I'd bet the house that the rest of the team will care if the rookie loses games with rookie mistakes when he doesn't even need to be in the game. That only works if Goff is the only option left or if he gets a chance to prove that he's ready because Keenum is out injured. Now, if Keenum plays so bad that they are losing you can get away with playing Goff, but not before one of those things comes up.

This is inaccurate. Did the rest of the team throw a temper tantrum when Keenum's poor play only allowed us to put up 9 points in the first 2 weeks?

We have leadership. These guys are professionals. This is not the type of thing that causes problems in the locker-room.

These guys know the business well. They know what being a #1 overall pick means. They know about Keenum's deficiencies. And they recognize that Goff will inevitably play.

Waiting until Keenum is costing this team games to put Goff in is far more likely to divide the locker-room than putting Goff in while the Rams are still winning. But that's a minor concern. The bigger problem is that you're shitting on our playoff chances. Because you waited until Keenum cost us games. Now, we have to deal with those lost games AND have to break in a rookie starter. You have a lot more margin for error in breaking in a rookie starter when you're 5-1 instead of 3-3.

Basically, I consider that to be a spineless approach.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
After we lose 37-9 to Buffalo, Goff starts.

Bank it.

inflatable-penis-costume-4012.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yea, I think RFIP is hearing what he wants to hear.

View: https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnfl/jeff-fisher-says-jared-goff-close-to-being-ready-to-start

Fisher said, "His time is coming" while describing Todd Gurley.

However, the last comment he made in the clip above bothers me.(the bit about other rookie QBs starting because of change in circumstance/injuries)

I don't understand why it bothers you jrry. It's just the circumstances being what they are. Everything he said is true.

The Eagles said after drafting Wentz he may not play at all this year. Bridgewater got hurt and the Vikings were desperate and called a couple of teams and ended up pulling the trigger for Bradford so Wentz then became the starter. Prescott is playing because Romo got hurt. Griffin AND McCown are both out for a long time so Kessler is playing.

You can bet that if Keenum got hurt Goff would be playing.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Yea, I think RFIP is hearing what he wants to hear.

View: https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnfl/jeff-fisher-says-jared-goff-close-to-being-ready-to-start

Fisher said, "His time is coming" while describing Todd Gurley.

However, the last comment he made in the clip above bothers me.(the bit about other rookie QBs starting because of change in circumstance/injuries)

Thanks for posting that clip @jrry32.

I'm sat here wondering how on earth anyone listened to that and concluded that Fisher said that Goff is ready to go.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Inappropriate comment

There are two ways for Goff to get on the field. One is the team losing by the offense not producing (losing 37-7 sounds like the defense had a nice hand in it). The other is a Keenum injury. Wishing for that would be inappropriate. But if that's the only two ways he sees the field anytime soon......

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Goff's development is being hurt by not getting him game reps and experience.
It's really not though. Not even Goff thinks that.
Waiting until Keenum is costing this team games to put Goff in is far more likely to divide the locker-room than putting Goff in while the Rams are still winning. But that's a minor concern. The bigger problem is that you're crapping on our playoff chances. Because you waited until Keenum cost us games. Now, we have to deal with those lost games AND have to break in a rookie starter. You have a lot more margin for error in breaking in a rookie starter when you're 5-1 instead of 3-3.
Nothing will divide this locker room as it relates to the QB position, because Fisher has a pretty strong grip on how to communicate to the players and how to keep them focused on goals. Yanking Keenum now, or not yanking him soon enough is a coach's decision, and every player on the team knows this.

I don't agree that we're "shitting on our playoff chances" by playing the hand the team is dealt though. They're learning to win close games, and they're coming through with key plays at key times. Whatever the reason for their success may be, you don't fuck with it. When Goff is ready to start, he'll start. And he'll be ready to start too, if you have any faith in your evaluation of him. If we have to 'break him in', then maybe he's not as good as you think. I mean, think about it. If Keenum can do it and Goff can't, then what does that say about Goff? Because you've all but said that Keenum is garbage.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think people on this board lose sight of how a team earns wins and losses. Case Keenum isn't out there winning games. The Los Angeles Rams are winning games. Case Keenum is one part of the team. If you judge Case Keenum's performance relative to his peers around the NFL, he's been one of the worst at his position. The Rams are winning. But it would be misleading to attribute it to Keenum.
I don't think that's accurate. He already has a 4th quarter comeback and a game-winning drive on his stat sheet. If he's not out there winning games, then why even have a stat like that? I do agree that he alone isn't winning any games. No QB is out there winning games by himself, because he's not blocking for himself, he's not catching his own passes, and he's not keeping the other team from scoring. I disagree that he's one of the worst at his position though. I just don't see that as being the case over the past few weeks, despite what the numbers may tell you. Numbers don't win games. Heart and determination wins games. So while it may be misleading to attribute any wins to Keenum (in your opinion), it would be equally misleading to pretend he has nothing to do with them.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wait...RFIP was a good poster here???? Lolz.....

Other than that...

330f.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want Goff to play very soon and I don't know if Fisher really said that Goff was ready now, as I have not listened to the above audio clip as of yet. However jrry32, I think you are wrong about Keenum not being an important part of us winning games. He is a scr@ppy son of a gun, and made that beautiful almost no-look throw to Quick to win the game. It was perfectly placed where only he could catch it.

As for a divided locker room, I think every player in that clubhouse, especially the guys that barely made this squad, appreciate that Fisher is rolling with Keenum for now. Winning is the most important to them, not about Goff starting Week One (ready or not). Most of these guys have a 3 year career on average, so they are not willing to just tank a season so that Goff learns on the job. They will support Goff when he does take over whenever that is, because he is the future...But I wonder how they would feel if Fisher replaced Keenum after a 4 game winning streak (or whenever), and the rookie does what what rookies often do...Create turnovers, which for a team like the Rams means, losing because we win by so few points, even when everything is perfect elsewhere, and loses three in a row and maybe causes us just to miss the playoffs...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I keep seeing people repeat this nonsense about "losing the team." That ain't happening. It's pure fantasy.

You're right. You play to win games. Which means that you start the best player at every position. Case Keenum isn't a starting caliber QB. The sooner the Rams replace him, the better.
It is not nonsense. Players don't like change and you don't lose your position to someone who has never played a down. Especially when the team is winning. That sends a bad message to the rest of the team and puts doubt in the locker room.

If Keenum was playing poorly and he isn't, if the team was losing and they aren't THEN you might put Goff in IF he's tearing it up on the practice field IF he's getting reps with the ones.

Bruce2980

Starter
There are two ways for Goff to get on the field. One is the team losing by the offense not producing (losing 37-7 sounds like the defense had a nice hand in it). The other is a Keenum injury. Wishing for that would be inappropriate. But if that's the only two ways he sees the field anytime soon......
Actually there are three ways that Goff gets on the field, we can disagree as to whether or not the third way is going to happen, but if Goff is torching the defense on the practice field, and Keenum is leaving a touchdown and 100 yards on the field every game then, it is Fisher's responsibility to the team and ownership to put the best players on the field, if he isn't doing that then he needs to be fired.