Rams waive Pead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well I'll be interested to see where he signs on. I'm sure someone will pick him up. If they can use him as a Reggie Bush type recieving back he might have success
The PD will pick him up.

Oh, you mean Pead.....:cool:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
It happens, not like every 1st and 2nd round RB makes IT. I can easily name a few but will withhold. Still appreciate the effort he displayed on ST. Next time super glue your forearm. :(

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
He might get picked up to play STs if someone is hard up enough. Unless they watch the tape on him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Sad really. Had so much talent but could never put it together and injuries never gave him a chance.

I would bet someone will pick him up rather quickly. Still to young and talented to not land somewhere.
I agree.
I liked his ability.
Future Patriot.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3-4 posters have said that they don't understand why he wasn't cut last year.

He was injured in the preseason - they'd have had to pay him his full salary anyway. Absolutely zero reason to cut him, AND a bad message to the rest of the team.

He actually looked solid in training camp - it is just the multiple brain farts the first 3 games of the season that made it necessary to cut him.

RamBill

Legend
Pead's time comes to an end with Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_fc7353da-dfe5-557c-8db6-808219dbee0d.html

As the Rams drafted running back after running back the past couple of years, the demise of Isaiah Pead has seemed almost inevitable for some time. On Tuesday it happened, with the team releasing the second-round pick out of Cincinnati in the 2012 draft.

“Difficult decision,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “Isaiah did a phenomenal job coming back off the injury. But with Todd (Gurley) now coming up and the potential for some other moves, we just felt it was the best decision for us.

“So we just really appreciate him and hope that he’s gonna be available — we can turn to him if we need him (in the future). But we need to make some roster moves as we move forward.”

Running back Trey Watts is eligible to return from his four-game NFL suspension following this week’s game at Arizona. In addition, running back Chase Reynolds — who’s one of the team’s top special teams players — might return from his MCL knee injury as early as the Green Bay game Oct. 11.

So with Gurley making his NFL debut Sunday against Pittsburgh, and Tre Mason back up to speed after missing the season opener with a hamstring injury, the Rams were facing a glut of running backs.

Even with just Gurley’s return against the Steelers, Pead was on the team’s pre-game inactive list for that game.

The former Big East offensive player of the year never could translate his college success into the NFL. His totals as a Ram included only 19 carries for 78 yards, and 14 catches for 94 yards. Pead also saw spot duty as a kickoff returner, returning 18 kicks for 413 yards, a 22.9-yard average.

All told, he played in 27 games for St. Louis, with one start (against Washington in 2012).

He missed the entire 2014 season after suffering a knee injury in the Rams’ second preseason game of that summer, against Green Bay, and was suspended for the first game of 2013 for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

This season, Pead showed some life with a strong showing in the preseason finale against Kansas City, rushing for 52 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries. Some observers thought that was the best he’d looked running the football since the knee injury.

With Gurley and Mason sidelined for the season opener against Seattle, Pead suddenly found himself with his best opportunity for playing time in a couple of years.

As Fisher mentioned, he had worked hard to come back from the knee injury, and had even discarded the knee brace before the Rams’ third preseason game, against Indianapolis. It looked like his perseverance just might pay off.

“I’m a hard worker regardless of any situation,” Pead said prior to the Seattle game. “I’m gonna come with a good mentality to anything. I’ve got faith in myself, big faith in God, and my team has faith in me more than anything.”

But things went awry when a lost fumble by Pead deep in Seattle territory helped get the Seahawks back in the game. That turned out to be his last carry as a Ram.

Pead’s demise leaves the Rams with five players left from the RGIII trade and assorted spinoff trades: defensive tackle Michael Brockers, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, linebacker Alec Olgletree, wide receiver Stedman Bailey, and offensive tackle Greg Robinson.

Gone are running back Zac Stacy, offensive guard Rokevious Watkins, and now Pead.

Pead was the fourth running back taken in the 2012 draft, behind Trent Richardson, David Wilson, and Doug Martin. The Rams had the 45th overall pick that year but traded down with Chicago to No. 50 overall to take Pead in the second round. The Rams used the fifth-round pick they got from Chicago on Watkins.

The moved proved costly, because Seattle grabbed linebacker Bobby Wagner — whom the Rams were interested in — at No. 47 overall.

In Pead’s rookie season of 2012, Steven Jackson was in his final year as a starter but seventh-round rookie Daryl Richardson beat out Pead for the No. 2 spot. With Jackson gone in 2013, Richardson began the year as the starter, but Fisher then went with Zac Stacy after four games instead of Pead.

The arrival of Mason in 2014, Gurley in ’15, and the continued development of undrafted Benny Cunningham, and to a lesser extent Watts, put Pead way down on the depth chart entering this season.

Pead has been replaced on the active roster with cornerback Brandon McGee, who was promoted from the practice squad. Wide receiver Nick Toon was added to the practice.

“I woke (Tuesday) to a call from my agent,” said McGee, a fifth-round pick by the Rams in 2013 out of Miami (Fla.). “That was pretty cool, I wasn’t expecting that at all, honestly. It’s a blessing to be here, and be back in a position where you’re able to help the team.”

McGee played in 15 games as a rookie, but only two since then, largely because of a nagging foot injury.

More specifically it was a plantar fascia injury involving the heel and arch of the foot; McGee said he kept tearing scar tissue from the originally injury, leading to setbacks.

“I definitely feel like I’m better than I was previously,” said McGee, who could help on special teams.

Meanwhile, Toon isn’t your average practice squad pickup. A fourth-round pick by New Orleans in 2012 out of Wisconsin, Toon had 21 catches for 283 yards and a touchdown during his time with the Saints, including five starts. He’s the son of former New York Jets wide receiver Al Toon.

Fisher said the Rams looked at Toon coming out of Wisconsin and talked to him at the NFL Scouting Combine that year. Toon was sidelined by a high ankle sprain this preseason with the Saints before his release.

“I’m good to go; feel good and ready to roll,” Toon said. “I’m excited to be here. Excited to get started.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cowboys might scoop him. He had supposedly played well vs them in camp and he's useful on teams while serving as depth.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Meh, good luck Pead. Sucks it didn't work out.
I'd rather have Watts in Horns. I've said as much all along. He's the better RB right now with good instincts and also was a solid returner at Tulsa.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Well we can consider that pick a bust.
But, not a BUST bust. Like, say, Trent Richardson. o_O

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I sure wish that they would have cut him early enough to be able to keep Stacy. He would be able to get yards behind tnis line.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
(On why McGee’s injury kept lingering)
"He re-aggravated it during the OTAs and then when he came back to camp he wasn’t ready to go. It wasn’t quite right. So, we had to rest and immobilize it. He’s got it behind him now. The last couple of weeks on the practice squad he’s been able to push through it, so we felt like he was ready to go."
see den the coach, your evil trick stopped working....

Even Money that Brandon McGee is listed as questionable this week!
Oh no you did-ANT!?! Since your evil trick with pins in the voodoo doll's foot, he's been FINE!!!!! Expect him to suit up this Sunday....you never go into a game with 4 cb's.....NEVER...Brandon McGee is BACK!!! And Hell's comin with HIM, you hear me, HELL'S COMIN WITH HIM!!!!!!! BAHAHAHAH-WHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Fisher loves Bradley Marquez, says he is a ST stud.
I like this kid a bunch...He stuck out like a super star to me in Oxnard....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh yeah, this is a Pead thread...Bunch of you all got your wish...Why did I like Pead? Kinda a knucklehead, huh? Doesn't seem like my type of player right? I hate mistakes as much as the next guy...

Pead is still a young RB with a load of talent...and you can always use talent...ALWAYS...If it's so easy to run the rock, how come so many of our backs average less than 4 ypc? And I'm going back 3 years...Think SJ#39 avg. 3.9 his last year here...

Like a few, I'm interested to see where he lands, what he does....he's not done in the NFL....

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
'Strong message'??? How is that? The guy has hardly played this year, much less since he was drafted by the genius team of Snisher. This is long overdue. The message that NOT cutting him has sent over the past year or two is that FIsher is arrogant, stubborn and stupid, but we already knew that. There's no real news here.

last year we cut ray ray and pettis if I remember right we played good football after that. well at least for a while

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hate to see anyone get cut. I really liked him coming out of Cincinnati. Could be a blessing in disguise for him. Maybe he need a fresh start somewhere else.
Yeah... no more selections out of Cinn!! :(

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
see den the coach, your evil trick stopped working....

Oh no you did-ANT!?! Since your evil trick with pins in the voodoo doll's foot, he's been FINE!!!!! Expect him to suit up this Sunday....you never go into a game with 4 cb's.....NEVER...Brandon McGee is BACK!!! And Hell's comin with HIM, you hear me, HELL'S COMIN WITH HIM!!!!!!! BAHAHAHAH-WHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Well, let's hope when hell comes with him, he doesn't get burned!
Brandon+McGee+Stedman+Bailey+St+Louis+Rams+c5HwLOYo6BHl.jpg