Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
That's why they should package him with Barron. Maybe Williams will push to get both.

And yeah, I imagine any deal would be contingent on Tru signing a multi year deal with the new team.

In the end they could be trying to see if they could get anything for him instead of waiting for him to hit free agency in next year and get a third round pick the year after.

Can the Rams rescind the franchise tag if Tru agrees to it? Or is it binding now? Could they let him hit the market if they don't get any trade offers that they like?

I agree, Im all for trading him if they are not going to sign him long term......which I wish they would. If you could package him with Barron and get something back, then that would be great. Just not optimistic you get much and lose yet another starting CB in two years.

Player can rescind or void if he signs an extension but otherwise I dont think they can, but no positive.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru doesn't control where he goes. He has some say, but that's not control. If Tru's preferred destination isn't willing to trade a pick, Tru can't change that.

No team is trading for him unless he agrees to a long term deal. If he doesn't want to go there he won't agree to any long term deal. He has signed the tender and thus has full control of his future. He'll either get traded to a team he wants to go to or hell play out the year on his tag salary then hit the fa market next season and make a fortune.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think we're lucky to get a 3rd. Probably a 4th, maybe a later rounder thrown in depending on playing time, etc...

I'm okay with this if it allows us to sign a CB or two in FA and nets us a draft pick.

EasyE

Starter
No team is trading for him unless he agrees to a long term deal. If he doesn't want to go there he won't agree to any long term deal. He has signed the tender and thus has full control of his future. He'll either get traded to a team he wants to go to or hell play out the year on his tag salary then hit the fa market next season and make a fortune.

Unless he gets injured....huge risk / reward not to sign long term deal and get up front money...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Problem I see is will Cleveland be able to sign him long term. Cleveland is not going to give any assets up for a player who will hit FA next year. Also Cleveland or any other team probably does not entertain a trade unless they talk to the player and the player agrees to sign. Which leads me to......Would Johnson want to sign a long term deal with Cleveland?

I doubt teams will give up much to get Tru......why give up capital when you can sign him next year and keep your picks this year?

You're guaranteed to get him this year if you trade for him. You're not guaranteed to get him next year. Plus, you have to wait a year. Same reason why a team might trade for Jimmy Garoppolo.

That's not control. That's a veto. That's like saying the President has control of legislation.

Wasn't Jared Allen traded as a franchise player?

Yes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think this is a dirty deal. I think their back was against the wall and they had to tag him. And to the Rams surprise, there is interest in him. Under the circumstances, they'd be crazy to not listen to offers

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cleveland makes a lot of sense. Tru goes right in there knowing Williams' system, which can be very hard for DBs to pick up given its complexity. Williams gets a building block for his defensive backfield. Browns use up some of that asininely enormous cap space. Rams get their round 2 pick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is fun! The first thing I said when we tagged him was I wondered if we could trade him still.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think this is a dirty deal. I think their back was against the wall and they had to tag him. And to the Rams surprise, there is interest in him. Under the circumstances, they'd be crazy to not listen to offers

It's not dirty at all. Nothing saying it's going to go through, and if it does it's because Tru agrees to it and the other team effectively gets a jump on the FA market and fills a spot on their roster for that pick.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Anyone else feel uncomfortable with this? It just feels dishonest. This isn't what the franchise tag is meant to do.
Not in the least.He is under contract.He signed the contract.
No different than any other trade.If he is traded, he will get
a long term deal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not dirty at all. Nothing saying it's going to go through, and if it does it's because Tru agrees to it and the other team effectively gets a jump on the FA market and fills a spot on their roster for that pick.
Tru doesn't have to agree with it

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
You're guaranteed to get him this year if you trade for him. You're not guaranteed to get him next year. Plus, you have to wait a year. Same reason why a team might trade for Jimmy Garoppolo.

I understand, but how many teams are giving up say a 2nd rounder which was discussed earlier for a rental? That was my point, few team if any will trade a high pick for a player who is going to FA in a year, when you can use the pick to have a player stay with you for 4 years on a rookie contact.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I like the idea of trading him a lot more than I like the idea of paying him as a top 3 corner either in 2017 or long term.

Let's hope the value is there in return

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru doesn't have to agree with it

No, but if he doesn't agree to it and also to a rough salary/deal ahead of time nobody is going to give us anything of value for him.

At that point just let him walk and take the round 3 compensation next year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, but if he doesn't agree to it and also to a rough salary/deal ahead of time nobody is going to give us anything of value for him.

At that point just let him walk and take the round 3 compensation next year.
Problem is they don't get the compensation until a year after he's gone