Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Do you think Johnson is going to net you a 1st and a 4th? Because I sincerely doubt it. Jamie Collins was traded for a 3rd.

That's why I mentioned a second and a fourth. Tru's good enough and valuable enough to net you that. Not many 6'2" cornerbacks with his kind of coverage skills. They don't grow on trees.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
That's why I mentioned a second and a fourth. Tru's good enough and valuable enough to net you that. Not many 6'2" cornerbacks with his kind of coverage skills. They don't grow on trees.
I think a 2nd is reasonable, possibly with a mid-round pick in 2018.
Or, the Rams could do the smart thing and keep him... Snead?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Not to be glib, but there aren't many corners that you have to pay $17 M either...Would definately leave a hole, but for some nice picks and quite of bit of cap savings I wouldn't have a big problem with it...

Psycho_X

Legend

I'd be fine with a 3rd (all though a second pick would make it easier to swallow like a 5th or 6th) if they put that money to good use in FA. Anything less than a 3rd would be disappointing to me. Anything greater than a 3rd would make me very happy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe we are looking at it wrong. Maybe Wade Phillips likes Trumaine but figures that there are other free agent corners that are not only better overall, but better fits for their system. So, why pay Tru 16 million when they could pay Bouye 16 million? Maybe they trade Tru for a 3rd round pick and sign Bouye? Now it suddenly sounds like a much better move.

Or maybe they are fixated on the deepest part of the draft, like I preached for years. In round 2 and 3, or with two 3rds, they could possibly land two corners (that fit what Phillips wants), that would be first round picks in most other drafts? They could end up with a couple of studs, that would be cheap. Snead seems to believe in drafting multiples of the same position.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Could it be that they are trying to package Tru with another player like Barron? That would entice Cleveland a bit more.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Could it be that they are trying to package Tru with another player like Barron? That would entice Cleveland a bit more.
That's an interesting thought. Barron is by far and away best suited to play in a Gregg Williams Big Nickel defense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

View: https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/839201748866777089

Thought this might need its own thread. Wonder what we would be getting in return? With all the talent at corner in the draft I'm certainly intrigued if the return was good. Especially with how much money it would save us. Thoughts?

Not only are they in trade talks about Tru, But the have placed a 1st round tender on Easley!!:wow:Looks Like the Rams are going to make some Big moves! At least they are Trying to! Go Snead/McVay!!:yess::D

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Who's gonna trade for tru at 16 million ?

Nobody, but Im sure the Rams will let all suitors talk to him and see if he agrees to sign an extension with them. If Tru agrees to sign with team X then the team could construct a trade with the Rams knowing they will not lose him via FA.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Problem I see is will Cleveland be able to sign him long term. Cleveland is not going to give any assets up for a player who will hit FA next year. Also Cleveland or any other team probably does not entertain a trade unless they talk to the player and the player agrees to sign. Which leads me to......Would Johnson want to sign a long term deal with Cleveland?

I doubt teams will give up much to get Tru......why give up capital when you can sign him next year and keep your picks this year?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Weren't the skins gonna do that with Cousins in that 3 way trade?

Fake rumor. There's a possibility that Cousins is traded, but I feel like QBs are a bit of a special situation.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not at all. Tru still controls where he goes. Unless a team is willing to trade for him on his franchise tag. I'm not sure any team will trade for him unless he agrees to a long term deal.

Tru doesn't control where he goes. He has some say, but that's not control. If Tru's preferred destination isn't willing to trade a pick, Tru can't change that.

With the money for TruJo we can sign 2 lesser CB that will perform well for Wade and if we get a 2nd or 3rd draft a damned good CB also.

Yea, I'm fine with it from that standpoint. Frankly, for $16.7 million, we could get two starting caliber CBs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Problem I see is will Cleveland be able to sign him long term. Cleveland is not going to give any assets up for a player who will hit FA next year. Also Cleveland or any other team probably does not entertain a trade unless they talk to the player and the player agrees to sign. Which leads me to......Would Johnson want to sign a long term deal with Cleveland?

I doubt teams will give up much to get Tru......why give up capital when you can sign him next year and keep your picks this year?

That's why they should package him with Barron. Maybe Williams will push to get both.

And yeah, I imagine any deal would be contingent on Tru signing a multi year deal with the new team.

In the end they could be trying to see if they could get anything for him instead of waiting for him to hit free agency in next year and get a third round pick the year after.

Can the Rams rescind the franchise tag if Tru agrees to it? Or is it binding now? Could they let him hit the market if they don't get any trade offers that they like?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If they can't get at least a high 2nd, then what's the point? He had an off year in 2016, but I think wade will turn it back around for him which will mean he's in his prime for years to come.

If the rams take anything less than a 2nd, it means they just tagged him to buy time for a trade because you don't pay elite type money for a player who can't get more than a 3rd round pick in a trade.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Cooks to Tennessee, Tru to NO, and #18 to LA

I'd rather just have Cooks, but the 18 sounds nice too. Can you imagine what McVay could come up with with Tavon, Cooks, and Cooper (or one other receiver...Juju?)