Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Tag & Trade is a common occurrence in the NFL, for what it's worth.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't know if Johnson would bring a first round pick in value and the Saints have already turned down a first from New England for Cooks. It might take as much as Tru and the Rams 3rd round pick.

That's different though. In trading Cooks for a first, they're hoping that draft pick turns out to be something. In trading for an established player, you already know what you're getting. Could be enough.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
A 2nd from the Browns(either one) and $16mil more in cap space sounds good to be.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Yeah they don't want to wait till next year for the pick. Why trade for a good corner that wants big money when a team can get a good corner in round for cheap? I don't think they could get a second round pick for Tru. After the draft? Maybe if a team didn't get their corner in the draft.

Cleveland needs football players, similar to Collins who they landed from NE, not more draft picks. Like I said if they are willing to pay the contract Johnson desires, would think it would be a good fit with Williams as DC.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Can you give me some examples other Matt Cassel?
It's usually used as leverage, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the Kirk Cousins thing ends. I guess it's actually happened less often than I thought, but every offseason is filled with pundit upon pundit positing that so-and-so will be tagged and traded.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It feels like we took Tru's chance to hit FA away from him and will now choose where he gets to play. That just feels like we're cheating the system.

Not at all. Tru still controls where he goes. Unless a team is willing to trade for him on his franchise tag. I'm not sure any team will trade for him unless he agrees to a long term deal.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Teams were not allowed to Negotiate until 12 PM today, so it is quite possible that the Rams Tagged and Signed him with no Knowledge of anyone wanting him. Other teams know a long term deal is better than a Tag so are probably interested in trading for him now vs. having to wait a year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If we get a good pick (1st/2nd) and another pick (4th), I'd consider it. I don't think that Tru is open to re-signing with us.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
There are so many needs in FA and I think we either had to know we were gonna do this ahead of time and knew we could'nt sign him longterm. It's so high risk and so much of a gamble to have signed him to that much coin knowing a 3rd rounder would be ours next season.

If we can't pull this off for a second rounder , as so many first round talents in this years second round will be flying off the board. Never seen a year like this in a stronger 2ND round in past memory and I'm a very,very old draftnik.

There are so many other ways we could spend that Free Agent money to really better our team over TJ and his skills based on last years play. I'm kinda upset if we are not successfull playing with fire like this. Wonder who all was in on this and if this was our play from jump. We need OL help and maybe Garcon wants more than we thought going in. Heard the vet TE wanted to join McVay in a friendly deal and we could cut Kendricks and I hope we still do. This years 2nd round will be so exciting and dissapointing.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
If we get a good pick (1st/2nd) and another pick (4th), I'd consider it. I don't think that Tru is open to re-signing with us.
Do you think Johnson is going to net you a 1st and a 4th? Because I sincerely doubt it. Jamie Collins was traded for a 3rd.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the money for TruJo we can sign 2 lesser CB that will perform well for Wade and if we get a 2nd or 3rd draft a damned good CB also.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
this is some bullshit.. lets trade our #1 corner after letting our #1 corner leave in FA last year

good idea :palm:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Do you think Johnson is going to net you a 1st and a 4th? Because I sincerely doubt it. Jamie Collins was traded for a 3rd.

Cornerbacks are a lot harder to get than linebackers

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Cornerbacks are a lot harder to get than linebackers
Not with this draft class. Regardless, a top-15 CB is not worth a pick two rounds higher and a second pick more than a top-5 LB.

Johnson might net a 2nd. That would be good value.

Limey

Rookie
It feels like we took Tru's chance to hit FA away from him and will now choose where he gets to play. That just feels like we're cheating the system.
I know what you mean, but the other side of the coin is that the franchise tag means that he gets paid a lot more $ this year than he is really worth, and if he doesn't sign an extension he can still be a FA next year.

I would feel more sympathy for him if last pre-season wasn't so messed up. For some reason, could be their fault, could be Tru's, the Rams thought they could sign him to an extension at a fair price, but that didn't happen and he got paid more last year than he was worth, and the Rams are now in the same pickle as last year. I think most of us thought JJ was the better corner, so if we were over-paying for one of them, we would have preferred the one that was actually a shut-down corner. If we are screwing him, and we don't know for sure that we are, it may be pay-back for last year.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
What upsets me the most is last year we had Jenkins/McLeod lost to FA and knew next year (this year) we would have Tru/McDonald as FA.... and who are we keeping of the four starters in a very YOUNG and up and coming and solid secondary from just 2 seasons ago?? Potentially none. Terrible front office.