Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand, but how many teams are giving up say a 2nd rounder which was discussed earlier for a rental? That was my point, few team if any will trade a high pick for a player who is going to FA in a year, when you can use the pick to have a player stay with you for 4 years on a rookie contact.

I don't see us settling for less than a 3rd (or maybe an early 4th). Tru gets us a comp 3 if he walks in the future.

Not in the least.He is under contract.He signed the contract.
No different than any other trade.If he is traded, he will get
a long term deal.

He had no choice but to sign the contract.

My issue is that I don't want other teams doing the same thing. If every team uses its franchise tag and tries to trade its top FA, it'll ruin the system. It's not as simple as that, but I'd hate this practice to become more widespread.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
He isn't too good of a talent. Zero chance I take less than a 1st if I was calling the shots. Who the fuck steps in? Gaines? I think not, I was his biggest fan but he sucked ass this last year. Maybe he bounces back. Joyner is to damn small to play outside.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
We have a third round comp pick in hand next year if no trade happens. Obviously no longterm deal with L.A. was ever gonna happen. The 17 mill Free Agency savings and a 2nd round pick or better in this deep draft would be awesome to think of the possibilities. I think Barron fits Williams "D" like no other and its so hard to pick that spot up too. Its a great fit.

We will still have CB needs and picking up cheap last year contract vets like maybe(C) Mangold and Vernon Davis ( That would be the Maryland TE that played career as 9er) would benefit our team along with a less costly FA starting CB and (WR) Garcon who knows offense and I have heard wants a bigger payday.. We could draft our CB's and WR and OL and TE/LB and have bridge players with great vet leadership. Just one of 100 senerio's. We have so many needs and that 17 million dollar deal just crushes so many opportunities we could use that money for. Has to be 2ND round or better. We get 3rd rounder next year if deal can't be done. Hope Williams is banging the table in Cleveland.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hope Williams is banging the table in Cleveland.

It would actually be a very smart move for Cleveland yeah. Not only the fit, but they're not going to be able to attract a CB like Tru without goin way over the top in FA. This way they get an exclusive in sitting him down and getting the contract worked, just a matter of if they're willing to go to the level Tru wants and if so the teams make it happen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My issue is that I don't want other teams doing the same thing. If every team uses its franchise tag and tries to trade its top FA, it'll ruin the system. It's not as simple as that, but I'd hate this practice to become more widespread.
Its a huge risk though. I cant see other teams taking the chance.
Let's see if this even plays out. There's still a 16.7 mill contract a team has to be willing to take on

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and btw I would guess Philly is involved. Word on Sirius today was that they were all over Bouye thus far, they are hot to add a CB.

…..

Legend
I like the possibilities here if we control the outcome and dont do anything foolish.

I like Tru just fine. I like him a bit less at 16m per year though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we can trade him, we should.
  1. That's a lot of cap $.
  2. He's not shown a willingness to sign an extension.
  3. I like the idea of some roster turnover, TBH. Got to change the culture!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have a third round comp pick in hand next year if no trade happens
Well, we *might* have a 3rd round comp pick in the 2019 draft while having to replace Tru in 2018. And who's to say the Rams don't sign a FA or two themselves and get no comp...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't think it's ever going to be widespread due to the fact it's hard to pull off, plus it's been happening here and there for a while now; pretty sure Jared Allen moved to the Vikes that way, going off memory granted, Corey Williams as well.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Well, we *might* have a 3rd round comp pick in the 2019 draft while having to replace Tru in 2018. And who's to say the Rams don't sign a FA or two themselves and get no comp...

Sorry like usual (NOT thinking:thinking:) we signed the deal and can't back out now and go in another direction. Thus collecting 3rd rounder NEXT year. DUH . Can we Fleece this team one more time ? Please Tru make and sign a longterm deal that Barron can join you there. Can Snead have one more in him ? :yess: We need too much help to have things dry up now. :giveup:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Feels like we are treading water in a rip tide. No guarantees we get an equivalent player to Tru for whatever pick we get. Dreaming about potential draft picks in March, means squat come Week One.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
Update from NFL network:
"So much of what the Rams are doing is about building and they would be able to get a significant draft-pick haul for one of the top corners in the game," Rapoport told NFL Network. "Right now they are weighing their options, trying to see what is out there for Trumaine Johnson and for the Rams.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Feels like we are treading water in a rip tide. No guarantees we get an equivalent player to Tru for whatever pick we get. Dreaming about potential draft picks in March, means squat come Week One.
We likely lose Tru after 2017 though

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We likely lose Tru after 2017 though
If we can't keep a good player like Tru by signing him to a long term deal, we might as well blow this sucker up and do a complete rebuild...We never seem to reach critical mass where home grown veterans and new rookies make the team good enough for a playoff run.....

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We have a third round comp pick in hand next year if no trade happens. Obviously no longterm deal with L.A. was ever gonna happen. The 17 mill Free Agency savings and a 2nd round pick or better in this deep draft would be awesome to think of the possibilities. I think Barron fits Williams "D" like no other and its so hard to pick that spot up too. Its a great fit.

We will still have CB needs and picking up cheap last year contract vets like maybe(C) Mangold and (TE) Benjamin( That would be the Maryland TE that played career mostly as 9er.) Why do I feel I have wrong name ? would benefit our team along with a less costly FA starting CB and (WR) Garcon who knows offense and I have heard wants a bigger payday.. We could draft our CB's and WR and OL and TE/LB and have bridge players with great vet leadership. Just one of 100 senerio's. We have so many needs and that 17 million dollar deal just crushes so many opportunities we could use that money for. Has to be 2ND round or better. We get 3rd rounder next year if deal can't be done. Hope Williams is banging the table in Cleveland.

They don't get a 3rd assuming they would let him walk IF they then use his money to sign a Garcon or other quality FA. That signing or signings could offset the loss of Johnson on the compensation calculation.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Sorry, quote isn't working for me...

"So we are holding Tru for ransom basically? Trade bait, didn't see that coming might be worth it since the DBs are looking great at this years combine."

It wasn't that. The Rams tendered Tru at the max level, so anyone offering Tru a contract would have to pony up two first rounders. That wasn't going to happen. He's good, but not 2 1sts, good.

By signing the tender, Tru almost certainly had to have an idea through his agent that a trade was possible. The conditional "we'll see how everyone settles into the D" means the system is going to come before players.

It's likely that his agent reached out to teams to let them know that he was open to moving in light of the chance that if Tru wasn't a fit, he'd be on the trade block AFTER the draft and after most of the FA money is gone. Also, the Rams are in a better position to get more before the Draft because a team that might be interested won't have burned a 1st or high second on a CB, most likely.

Anyway, because of the tender, if Tru wanted anything to happen beyond hitting FA next year, he would have to sign the tender. 16M is a lot, but he's likely going to get twice that or more in guaranteed money on a long term deal.

So, no, I don't think this is the Rams holding him hostage. We're not the Dolphins, fer cryin' out loud...

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
They don't get a 3rd assuming they would let him walk IF they then use his money to sign a Garcon or other quality FA. That signing or signings could offset the loss of Johnson on the compensation calculation.

My idiocy was already pointed out by Dieter . I never even thought after making the deal with TJ that we could just walk away from the deal. My wrong thinking came from the 3rd round compensation pick would'nt come till 19 the season we open up ShangraL.A. Just gonna have to hope hard something gets done and we can either sign or get started a year early with CB draftee's/FA's since TJ is leaving anyway and we're not a playoff team next year anyway. Wish we could start obtaining through great coaching and a real team , some loyalty I only remember from my very early days when $$$ was'nt the root of all evil or was'nt as obvious. Does it even exist in the NFL if your not a Perriniel shot to win it all? :sadwalk:

KOWALSKI

Rookie
i don't buying this.
ian rap is the only one reporting about this.
nothing from schefter, silver and co.
i guess the rams are just desperate, thinking they made a mistake with the tender and now trying the create a markt for him.
browns beat writer already reported this story as bs.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think they are just trying to add another option to consider. Hoping to drum up interest and give them another way to go forward in this off-season.

Btw, did the same thing with Kevin Carter. Franchised him then traded him for a late #1 that turned out to be Ryan Pickett.