Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Anyone else feel uncomfortable with this? It just feels dishonest. This isn't what the franchise tag is meant to do.

It is a little shitty but they can't afford to let Jenkins leave one year and Tru leave the next year without any compensation.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Anyone else feel uncomfortable with this? It just feels dishonest. This isn't what the franchise tag is meant to do.

For it to be dishonest, that would imply Tru didn't know. We don't know that.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
There is another option here that could snag the Rams as high as a first round pick. It would involve the Rams actually signing Johnson to a deal with an up front bonus and immediately trading him to a team with low cap space. The Rams would certainly get better compensation, but the downside is that they would eat some cash and cap space in 2017. It's certainly something to consider.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill

If true told them there is no way in hell he will sign an extension then no I don't.

Psycho_X

Legend
2nd and 4th sounds high for tru doesn't it? Although many see him as a shutdown corner so Idk

It would just depend on who wants him. The Browns just make too much sense. I think Tru is definitely worth a 2nd rounder but depends on system and what kind of needs/draft capital that team has.

Would depend on how Tru and his agents have been. Obviously there is a disagreement about his worth. They may have told him they'd ask around if any teams would want to pay him what he wants. If he gets a long term top CB deal out of it I'm not sure he'd care. But hard to say without being behind the scenes.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
agree2.gif

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
The rams know what kind of contract Tru is looking for. Why not shop him and pick up a draft pick in this upcoming draft, if a team is willing to give out the contract he is looking for. That 33 pick from Cle would look real good for the rams IMO.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I know what you are saying, but as far back as the tag has existed, the idea of losing the player in exchange for picks has been part of it. In this case, Johnson would still have a voice in his destination and the Rams would be compensated for losing him.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Brandin Cooks would be nice.
I don't know if Johnson would bring a first round pick in value and the Saints have already turned down a first from New England for Cooks. It might take as much as Tru and the Rams 3rd round pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
well I guess that Phillips has decided that Tru doesn't fit his scheme.

If he is worth a third next season by signing elsewhere, then it stands to reason that they won't want less than that.

This doesn't mean he is guaranteeed to be traded. Also, Maybe they would do a player swap.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
It would make the draft more interesting if we can net some decent picks for Tru. This draft is DEEP in quality CBs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Granted it would be collusion but you have to wonder if they've been talking to Cleveland and Hue/Gregg about this the whole time. Just took any other teams out of the equation by franchising him. I really got the impression the Rams didn't want to tag him but were willing to. The option of getting something for him is always better though.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/07/report-trumaine-johnson-the-subject-of-trade-talks/

Report: Trumaine Johnson the subject of trade talks
Posted by Josh Alper on March 7, 2017

501830986-e1488916969982.jpg
Getty Images

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson signed his franchise tender on Monday, but that may not be the end of offseason intrigue concerning his future with the club.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Rams are talking with several other teams about a trade involving Johnson. Johnson could have negotiated with other teams in lieu of signing the tag, but anyone willing to sign him would have needed to send two first-round picks to the Rams for the right to sign Johnson away.

It’s probably fair to say that the Rams won’t be looking at that kind of return in any deal involving Johnson now that he’s signed the tender. It’s also probably fair to say that Johnson still has leverage over a possible destination as any team acquiring him would likely want to sign him to a contract that runs beyond the one-year, $16.7 million deal that came with the franchise tag.

Rams General Manager Les Snead said last week that the team views 2017 as a trial run for Johnson in the defense that new coordinator Wade Phillips will install this offseason and that any call on a long-term deal in L.A. would likely wait until they had a better idea of how everything fits on that side of the ball. A trade would obviously cut that trial run short and leave the Rams to move forward with others on the corners.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Two years ago, the Rams had an exemplary secondary. Jenkins + Johnson was a tremendous CB duo. Joyner was really good in the slot. Gaines (pre-Lisfranc) was excellent depth, and played great in relief of Johnson. The safety combo of McDonald and McLeod was probably top 5 in the league.

Now Jenkins is gone, McDonald is not expected to return, McLeod is gone, Gaines is a shell of his former self (although maybe he is healthy with another year removed from his injury), and they're actively trying to get rid of Johnson.

If only Joyner is left of that exemplary secondary, then frankly the Rams' FO needs to explain why they felt the need to gut a group that was a serious source of strength.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For it to be dishonest, that would imply Tru didn't know. We don't know that.

That's true. I'd just be pissed if I were him. We took away his ability to drum up his value in FA, choose his next destination, and his ability to continue playing for this team. I feel like the franchise tag shouldn't be used to get compensation for a guy you don't want to lose in FA. That's why we have comp picks. You're just screwing the player over by doing what we did, but yea, Tru might be okay with it. If he is, good. I'm still uncomfortable with it. I'd hate to see other NFL teams do this.(use the franchise tag to get immediate compensation for a FA they don't want to retain)

Like whoring him out in other words?

The NFL designed the franchise tag to allow teams to keep their players and negotiate with them. It wasn't really designed to keep the player off of FA and then trade him. That very very rarely happens. I can't think of anyone doing it since the Patriots and Matt Cassel (but I might be wrong about that).

It feels like we took Tru's chance to hit FA away from him and will now choose where he gets to play. That just feels like we're cheating the system.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The rams know what kind of contract Tru is looking for. Why not shop him and pick up a draft pick in this upcoming draft, if a team is willing to give out the contract he is looking for. That 33 pick from Cle would look real good for the rams IMO.

Yeah they don't want to wait till next year for the pick. Why trade for a good corner that wants big money when a team can get a good corner in round for cheap? I don't think they could get a second round pick for Tru. After the draft? Maybe if a team didn't get their corner in the draft.