Rams Trade Stacy To Jets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So basically the Rams traded Stacy for Hagen?

That sucks. Zac ran for nearly 1000 yards two seasons ago.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
There is really no point in questioning Stacy's willingness to compete. The guy had 10 carries after Mason took over, then they draft a guy in the 1st round. He has a better chance to get carries in NY, good luck to him. I hope he does well. Mason tweeted out "doubting me?" the following morning, so Stacy isn't the only one responding to the Gurley pick with open arms.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I agree, that it's no big deal that Stacy wanted to be traded. He was not going to get a lot, if any reps this year and didn't get much at all last year. He wants to be on the field, and going to another team with lessor RB's on it, was smart.
How can any of us be angry at him? A one word tweet of "yikes" is no big deal either. When Gurley was chosen it became very real to Stacy that if he wants to be on the field any year soon, he needs to get a fresh start. Best of luck to him unless he plays us. But I don't wish him any ill will.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Rams send unhappy Stacy to Jets for a 7th-round pick
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_db080316-3213-56f3-88bd-386e008ca0c0.html

After the Rams drafted Georgia running back Todd Gurley with the 10th overall pick in the draft Thursday, a disgruntled Zac Stacy asked to be traded or released.

Less than 48 hours later Stacy got his wish, getting traded to the New York Jets on Saturday for a late seventh-round pick (No. 224 overall). As Stacy might put it: “Yikes.”

That was Stacy’s Twitter response to the Gurley selection, posted Thursday but subsequently deleted that same evening from Stacy’s certified Twitter account (@ZSTACY).

Zac Stacy's Twitter reaction to the Rams first round pick

While the Rams used that extra pick to take Baylor linebacker Bryce Hager, Stacy is off to the Big Apple, where he’ll join another former running back drafted by the Rams, Daryl Richardson.

“I talked to Zac this morning,” Fisher said early Saturday evening after the conclusion of the draft. “We had a really good conversation. Looking back over the years I don’t know if I remember a player that handled the circumstances that he handled last year — in essence what we’ll refer to as a demotion — better than Zac.”

• Lyons: A closer look at the Rams' 2015 draft class

After leading the team in rushing with 973 yards in a breakout 2013 rookie season, Stacy lost his starting job to Tre Mason one-third of the way through 2014. He carried only 15 times (for 53 yards) over the final 11 games and did not play in three of those 11 contests.

Stacy handled the demotion without a grumble, but when the Rams drafted Gurley — pushing Stacy to fourth string on the depth chart — enough was enough.

His agents spoke with Rams officials on Friday, and after fielding several calls on Saturday regarding Stacy, he was shipped off to the Jets. Neither Stacy nor his agents responded to several voice and text messages left by the Post-Dispatch.

Later Saturday night, Stacy sent out the following tweet: “Want to thank Coach Fisher & the St. Louis Rams organization for giving me the opportunity to represent a great city & follow my dreams!”

On Saturday morning, Fisher informed Stacy that the Rams would try to trade him, but couldn’t promise when it would happen.

“Today, tomorrow, training camp or whatever,” Fisher told Stacy.

It turned out to be Saturday. Fisher gave the news to Stacy before the Rams officially turned in the trade to the league office, and that was that. Fisher said the Rams talked with several teams regarding Stacy but said the Jets were the best fit.

“He’s been one of my favorites. He’s an outstanding young man,” Fisher said. “A great teammate.”

A fifth-round draft pick by the Rams out of Vanderbilt in 2013, Stacy joins Richardson, a seventh-round pick by the Rams in 2012 out of Abilene Christian, with the Jets.

Fisher attributed Stacy’s demise to a combination of factors, including some tweaks on the offense, the changes at the quarterback position and Mason’s emergence.

“You guys saw Zac work on the practice field after Tre took over and he did an outstanding job,” Fisher said. “He’s gonna be fine up there (with the Jets). It’s a good place for him. He’s a competitor.”

But it wasn’t just Mason last season. Stacy fell to third on the depth chart behind Benny Cunningham. As the third-down back, and the general backup to Mason, Cunningham proved to be better in pass protection and pass-catching than Stacy.

The departure of Stacy still leaves the Rams with a logjam at running back with Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Trey Watts, Isaiah Pead and special teams ace Chase Reynolds. That’s six running backs, and even a running back-friendly coach such as Fisher probably will keep only five on the 53-man roster entering the regular season.

The coaching staff likes Watts, who has surprising vision and instincts, but lacks breakaway speed. And that could leave Pead, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, in trouble when the cutdown days approach at the end of August.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Fisher always classy towards the players, they must love him for the most part.
Hope he decides to kick a little ass in TC this year, though, we need to come out guns blazing...

lockdnram21

Legend
It's all about seeing his lack of competitiveness. If he doesn't have enough faith in himself to welcome 1) a competitive challenge in camp and 2) a way for his TEAM to get better ... .then by all means ... SEE YA!
It's not even that. He was 3rd on the depth chart already and now they draft a Rb in first round. There was no way he was going to see the field unless multiple injuries. But it's his lost we will be in playoffs he will be at home

lockdnram21

Legend
I think the Rams and Stacey both made a mistake here. Stacey should have stayed quiet because if he gets playing time behind this new line, he could really up his value in FA. The Rams, it looks like, acted off emotion. They could have used him in a far better trade after the draft.
Not really most likely stacy wouldn't play. He rarely played after Mason started playing. So if say Gurley isn't ready Stacy probably still wouldn't play

lockdnram21

Legend
PC alert, my ass. Again, what would you do in his situation? Stacy didn't do anything wrong. He looked out for his own interests. He was smart enough to get out to a team where he could start, and we got a pick in return. Instead, you act like he just kicked your dog, had sex with your wife, and tattooed 666 on his forehead.

Again, IT'S BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL, SONNY! (Godfather reference for the win.)
No way he starts over Ivory. He better worry about just playing before he ends up like DRich

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Rams notes: Rams send unhappy Stacy to Jets for a 7th-round pick
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_db080316-3213-56f3-88bd-386e008ca0c0.html

After the Rams drafted Georgia running back Todd Gurley with the 10th overall pick in the draft Thursday, a disgruntled Zac Stacy asked to be traded or released.

Less than 48 hours later Stacy got his wish, getting traded to the New York Jets on Saturday for a late seventh-round pick (No. 224 overall). As Stacy might put it: “Yikes.”

That was Stacy’s Twitter response to the Gurley selection, posted Thursday but subsequently deleted that same evening from Stacy’s certified Twitter account (@ZSTACY).

Zac Stacy's Twitter reaction to the Rams first round pick

While the Rams used that extra pick to take Baylor linebacker Bryce Hager, Stacy is off to the Big Apple, where he’ll join another former running back drafted by the Rams, Daryl Richardson.

“I talked to Zac this morning,” Fisher said early Saturday evening after the conclusion of the draft. “We had a really good conversation. Looking back over the years I don’t know if I remember a player that handled the circumstances that he handled last year — in essence what we’ll refer to as a demotion — better than Zac.”

• Lyons: A closer look at the Rams' 2015 draft class

After leading the team in rushing with 973 yards in a breakout 2013 rookie season, Stacy lost his starting job to Tre Mason one-third of the way through 2014. He carried only 15 times (for 53 yards) over the final 11 games and did not play in three of those 11 contests.

Stacy handled the demotion without a grumble, but when the Rams drafted Gurley — pushing Stacy to fourth string on the depth chart — enough was enough.

His agents spoke with Rams officials on Friday, and after fielding several calls on Saturday regarding Stacy, he was shipped off to the Jets. Neither Stacy nor his agents responded to several voice and text messages left by the Post-Dispatch.

Later Saturday night, Stacy sent out the following tweet: “Want to thank Coach Fisher & the St. Louis Rams organization for giving me the opportunity to represent a great city & follow my dreams!”

On Saturday morning, Fisher informed Stacy that the Rams would try to trade him, but couldn’t promise when it would happen.

“Today, tomorrow, training camp or whatever,” Fisher told Stacy.

It turned out to be Saturday. Fisher gave the news to Stacy before the Rams officially turned in the trade to the league office, and that was that. Fisher said the Rams talked with several teams regarding Stacy but said the Jets were the best fit.

“He’s been one of my favorites. He’s an outstanding young man,” Fisher said. “A great teammate.”

A fifth-round draft pick by the Rams out of Vanderbilt in 2013, Stacy joins Richardson, a seventh-round pick by the Rams in 2012 out of Abilene Christian, with the Jets.

Fisher attributed Stacy’s demise to a combination of factors, including some tweaks on the offense, the changes at the quarterback position and Mason’s emergence.

“You guys saw Zac work on the practice field after Tre took over and he did an outstanding job,” Fisher said. “He’s gonna be fine up there (with the Jets). It’s a good place for him. He’s a competitor.”

But it wasn’t just Mason last season. Stacy fell to third on the depth chart behind Benny Cunningham. As the third-down back, and the general backup to Mason, Cunningham proved to be better in pass protection and pass-catching than Stacy.

The departure of Stacy still leaves the Rams with a logjam at running back with Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Trey Watts, Isaiah Pead and special teams ace Chase Reynolds. That’s six running backs, and even a running back-friendly coach such as Fisher probably will keep only five on the 53-man roster entering the regular season.

The coaching staff likes Watts, who has surprising vision and instincts, but lacks breakaway speed. And that could leave Pead, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, in trouble when the cutdown days approach at the end of August.

Good praise by Fisher kind blows a hole in this theory that he's selfish and a whiner. Didn't see that comment by Mason about the Rams "doubting him." I guess the hatchet job starts on him next, or is he too popular still from last year?

lockdnram21

Legend
I could care less about the Jets roster - Stacy's moves bought him a one way ticket out of town

Forgive me for taking great offense to how he handled himself - I think it's shaggy scooby doo B.S. Running scared -- can't hang with competition and so many of you are making apologies for him / he clearly pissed off the team with his me-first attitude and hence he's gone
Good luck Stacy
Can't wait for Brockers to Crush you and when he does I'll say "Yikes"
He already wasn't playing and would be 4th on depth chart. So u wouldn't have asked to be traded. Especially after u almost ran for 1000 yards and just fell from grace for no reason. I would want to leave to after they picked Gurley. With that pick they basically said they didn't want him

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't blame Zac for wanting out. He gets older every year and if he has any chance to show people that he could be a starter, and get a decent free agent contract, when the time comes it wouldn't be with the Rams.

Money and youth, two good reasons to move on.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
He already wasn't playing and would be 4th on depth chart. So u wouldn't have asked to be traded. Especially after u almost ran for 1000 yards and just fell from grace for no reason. I would want to leave to after they picked Gurley. With that pick they basically said they didn't want him

Pead hasn't asked for a trade.
So why hasn't he?

Pead was 5th on the depth chart yesterday, today he's 4th on the depth chart

When should we except all our 4th stringers to ask for trades????

It's a poor excuse and a poor move by Stacy

Snead pulled off a miracle to get any value from Stacy after he and his agent publicly asked for a trade

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So why hasn't he?

Snead pulled off a miracle to get any value from Stacy after he and his agent publicly asked for a trade

So you didn't read the article where Fisher praises his professionalism then?

lockdnram21

Legend
So why hasn't he?

Peat hasn't done anything to deserve to play he lucky he still has a job. Stacy has performed and would have had way over a 1000 yards his rookie year if he would have played earlier. Rams showed that they didn't want him they picked up 2 RB in last 2 years along with Cunningham getting more playing time. The writing was on the wall

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
So you didn't read the article where Fisher praises his professionalism then?

I did in fact read it.
Not sure what Fisher was supposed to say
But more to the point - do you think "twitting" his Zionks or Yikes remark and asking for a trade publicly was professional?

I don't think he handled himself like a pro - I think it was a weak ass move

He has every right to ask for a trade - my issue is how he went about it

Go Google "Rams" into search - guess what shows up first? Well it's Zac Stacy trade - I think that is whack / again a fully selfish move and as a former supporter of his, I'm glad to see he's gone

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Peat hasn't done anything to deserve to play he lucky he still has a job. Stacy has performed and would have had way over a 1000 yards his rookie year if he would have played earlier. Rams showed that they didn't want him they picked up 2 RB in last 2 years along with Cunningham getting more playing time. The writing was on the wall

Right
The writing is on the wall for Pead too but he's not asking for a trade and if Pead has in fact asked for a trade it was done professionally and privately

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I did in fact read it.
Not sure what Fisher was supposed to say
But more to the point - do you think "twitting" his Zionks or Yikes remark and asking for a trade publicly was professional?

I don't think he handled himself like a pro - I think it was a weak ass move

He has every right to ask for a trade - my issue is how he went about it

Go Google "Rams" into search - guess what shows up first? Well it's Zac Stacy trade - I think that is whack / again a fully selfish move and as a former supporter of his, I'm glad to see he's gone

He didn't have to go into all that detail, that's for sure. More to the point? That is the whole point. Only a couple fans seem to think this is some sort of deal.

Yes I think he handled himself just fine. What about Mason? Didn't he tweet something about the Rams losing faith in him, or something like that? Are we going after him next?

V3

Hall of Fame
It totally sucks cause Stacy didn't have to act like a wuss and ask to be traded, the Rams would have the best backfield in the world
Sorry, but Stacy did nothing wrong. He didn't act like a wuss. He made a wise career move. If Stacy had been talking crap last year during the season about not getting enough PT, then he would have been in the wrong. Instead, he was very professional and said all the right things. When he saw that Gurley would be the #1 on this team bumping him down to like 4th on the depth chart, he knew he'd never play here. He made the right move asking to be traded now when it was still possible. By going to a new team, he has a chance to show he can play in this league which increases his odds of getting a second contract and the amount of money in that contract.

Also, the only reason anyone even knew he asked to be traded was because the press leaked it. Stacey didn't post some tirade on Twitter or say anything to some reporter. No, all he said was, "Yikes" which is nothing. He then asked the team to be moved. There's nothing wrong with that. He would have probably been cut anyways.