Rams Trade Stacy To Jets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
He didn't have to go into all that detail, that's for sure. More to the point? That is the whole point. Only a couple fans seem to think this is some sort of deal.

Yes I think he handled himself just fine. What about Mason? Didn't he tweet something about the Rams losing faith in him, or something like that? Are we going after him next?
Naw he tweeted keep grinding like he takes it as a challenge

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Sorry, but Stacy did nothing wrong. He didn't act like a wuss. He made a wise career move. If Stacy had been talking crap last year during the season about not getting enough PT, then he would have been in the wrong. Instead, he was very professional and said all the right things. When he saw that Gurley would be the #1 on this team bumping him down to like 4th on the depth chart, he knew he'd never play here. He made the right move asking to be traded now when it was still possible. By going to a new team, he has a chance to show he can play in this league which increases his odds of getting a second contract and the amount of money in that contract.

Also, the only reason anyone even knew he asked to be traded was because the press leaked it. Stacey didn't post some tirade on Twitter or say anything to some reporter. No, all he said was, "Yikes" which is nothing. He then asked the team to be moved. There's nothing wrong with that. He would have probably been cut anyways.

Fair enough

But if his "yikes" tweet was nothing as you say, why did he delete it?
If it's nothing as you say why does every Ram article (especially national media) I try to read this last couple days leads with his "yikes" tweet.

I know what you're saying in regards to the tweet being nothing in the grand scheme of things -- but it's indicative of Stacy's lack of desire to compete for a spot on our team

Dude doesn't want to be a Ram - he can get the F out / thank heaven for Les Snead being able to get something for "nothing"

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Naw he tweeted keep grinding like he takes it as a challenge

I thought shovelpass said he tweeted "doubting me?" the next morning. Not like that tweet means anything either. I'm sure a someone like Fisher who works with young guys every day knows about the youth and their tweeting every random thought in their heads.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Fair enough

If it's nothing as you say why does every Ram article (especially national media) I try to read this last couple days leads with his "yikes" tweet.

I know what you're saying in regards to the tweet being nothing in the grand scheme of things -- but it's indicative of Stacy's lack of desire to compete for a spot on our team

Dude doesn't want to be a Ram - he can get the F out / thank heaven for Les Snead being able to get something for "nothing"

Snead didn't get something for nothing. He got 7th round LBer for a 1000 yrd rusher and whatever pick we lost when we traded up to get Stacy in the draft. They obviously thought enough of Gurley to risk losing good assets. And they had to know they would probably lose Stacy. Whether by trade or not. Way I see it Stacy making his intentions known, which were leaked not tweeted, gave the Rams a pick and instant closure. I don't see anything wrong with how the Rams or Stacy dealt with the situation.

V3

Hall of Fame
Fair enough

The Tweet was deleted because the media and fans went crazy about it. IMO, it was funny. That's probably why most people picked up on it so much. Other people see it him throwing a tantrum or something. *shrugs*

As for him not wanting to compete, he could compete all he wants. He's not getting the job. We know it and he knows it. He's a late round pick that was put in the dog house for some unknown reason last year. Mason and Gurley are high picks that have zero chance of being cut. That leaves Cunningham. He's higher on the depth chart but even he won't see many carries once Gurley gets in there. So Stacey knows the odds of him getting significant playing time are slim to none here. If he were to wait to be cut, he'd have a tough time picking up a new playbook in time and other teams would probably already have their RB's in place. By asking for the trade now, he gets to learn the playbook so he performs better when he needs to show what he can do. He's also easier to trade now rather than after the draft.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...elated-to-concerns-about-stevan-ridleys-knee/

Maccagnan: Zac Stacy trade not related to concerns about Stevan Ridley’s knee
Posted by Josh Alper on May 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu0mjk0nwiwmjjkzmzknzg2zwzizdhmogvhoduxnmex-e1430688640852.jpeg
Getty Images

Instead of taking a shot on a rookie running back with a seventh-round pick on Saturday, the Jets opted to trade it to the Rams in exchange for Zac Stacy.

Stacy, a 2013 fifth-round pick, became an odd man out in St. Louis when the team drafted Todd Gurley in the first round on Thursday. Reports that he wanted a trade came a short time later and the Jets decided to take the plunge.

Stacy joins a depth chart that also features Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell and Stevan Ridley, who the Jets signed as a free agent this offseason as he recovers from a torn ACL. Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan said Saturday that concerns about Ridley’s return weren’t the reason why the team made the deal for Stacy.

“We thought the idea of bringing Zac in for that kind of investment would be very beneficial and increase the competition at that position,” Maccagnan said, via ESPN.com. “He’s had success in the league. Two years ago, he was close to a 1,000-yard back. This past season, his production wasn’t quite as high, but we do think he’s a good-caliber running back.”

It may not be the knee that made Maccagnan pull the trigger on the trade, but the Jets would seem to have some concern about Ivory and/or Ridley being right for the job to add another back with a similar style to the mix.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Loved Stacy as a player, sad to see him go but makes a ton of sense to me for both sides that it happened. I'm happy he asked for a trade, if it wasn't the twitter age we'd have probably not been the wiser. I'll route for him to win the starting job with the Jets. I'll route for Gurley to make use ever doubt taking him this draft.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...elated-to-concerns-about-stevan-ridleys-knee/

Maccagnan: Zac Stacy trade not related to concerns about Stevan Ridley’s knee
Posted by Josh Alper on May 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu0mjk0nwiwmjjkzmzknzg2zwzizdhmogvhoduxnmex-e1430688640852.jpeg
Getty Images

Instead of taking a shot on a rookie running back with a seventh-round pick on Saturday, the Jets opted to trade it to the Rams in exchange for Zac Stacy.

Stacy, a 2013 fifth-round pick, became an odd man out in St. Louis when the team drafted Todd Gurley in the first round on Thursday. Reports that he wanted a trade came a short time later and the Jets decided to take the plunge.

Stacy joins a depth chart that also features Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell and Stevan Ridley, who the Jets signed as a free agent this offseason as he recovers from a torn ACL. Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan said Saturday that concerns about Ridley’s return weren’t the reason why the team made the deal for Stacy.

“We thought the idea of bringing Zac in for that kind of investment would be very beneficial and increase the competition at that position,” Maccagnan said, via ESPN.com. “He’s had success in the league. Two years ago, he was close to a 1,000-yard back. This past season, his production wasn’t quite as high, but we do think he’s a good-caliber running back.”

It may not be the knee that made Maccagnan pull the trigger on the trade, but the Jets would seem to have some concern about Ivory and/or Ridley being right for the job to add another back with a similar style to the mix.

Then it's definitely the knee of Ridley. Either way, good trade for both us and Stacy. Both of us made the right move.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was at that game too and Zac handed his rushing TD ball to a Rams fan just about 10 seats away from me in the first row. I was in the second row at the west goal post. I wish him the best going forward.
50 yard line...about 20-30 rows up...great seats...bunch of us there....high fiving at the end