Rams final cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I won't balk at anything thus far...LINE UP AND PLAY...that's when you know where you really are.

BRING ON THE HAGS!!!
I can not remember a season we have started where I have no idea what we have as a whole.

I see us scoring on offense.

I see us questionable on defense but maybe not as much as the pre-season has shown. Most those guys are gone now.

I see us not able to kick any field goals right now. Well maybe a hit every now and then with our punter. (Still learning all the names)

The Hags game will give us a better idea of what we may be working with.

GO RAMS!!!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I agree with this but we did win a Super Bowl.
Totally agree.
And the method they used was totally worth it.
But during that time they could have done a lot better job in scouting the third and fourth round draft picks.

I've been biting my tongue until I saw they cut Bruss and I started evaluating the whole failure of the last 4 years of drafting.
Not including last year, (which is still to be determined) and this year as well.

I just hope the Scouting Department isn't slapping themselves on the back and cheering themselves on looking at this body of work. :)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Exactly. Rochell and Harris both had measurable athleticism but they just couldn’t play the game. Rapp was decent his first season or so because they used him as a box safety/ hybrid linebacker. The last few years he’s been playing almost a deep safety role and he got more lost the further you got him away from the line of scrimmage. Coaches have to put players in position to succeed. Rapp was helpless in coverage. Too small to be a linebacker and too stiff to cover anyone in the secondary.
Thanks for helping me make my point. :)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I can not remember a season we have started where I have no idea what we have as a whole.

I see us scoring on offense.

I see us questionable on defense but maybe not as much as the pre-season has shown. Most those guys are gone now.

I see us not able to kick any field goals right now. Well maybe a hit every now and then with our punter. (Still learning all the names)

The Hags game will give us a better idea of what we may be working with.

GO RAMS!!!
I feel the same. I have no idea what we have. Especially on defense. If we go by the preseason its gonna be really bad. But we know how preseason games mean nothing to the regular season. So who knows?

I feel like the offense will be better than last year's. They know the problems they had with the line. And they seem to have more focus on the run game. That should help Stafford. I just hope he doesn't get tunnel vision again looking for Kupp and ignoring everyone else. Defenses have no problem letting Kupp have his 10 catches, 130 yards and a TD as long as no one else is involved.

Consensus around the league seems to be pretty negative on the Rams this year. Most are picking them to have a losing season. They might. They also might be giving up this season to build for next season and beyond.

But if the offense does come out of the gate firing on most cylinders and scores like the 2021 season, that might change their approach. Especially if they think they have a shot at the playoffs. it wouldn't surprise me if secretly they don't believe they will be very good this year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Stretching the definition of "high pick" there.

Rochell and Harris were 4th rounders. Lewis and Bruss late thirds. Not uncommon for them to not work out.

Rapp was a mediocre starter for us - that's about what to expect for where he was drafted.

Long was on the field for the last defensive play of the Super Bowl and I believe his coverage forced Burrow to hold the ball. Hendo had some key catches in the Super Bowl - and both those guys were third round picks.

That doesn't even get into the other hits over the years.

Rochell is one where I really think they missed. While I would never want the Fisher regime back in charge, one thing I can say they were better at was drafting DBs, where almost every one they drafted during Fisher's tenure at least became a contributor while in horns. We've had a couple of big misses in that area in the McVay era.

The Bruss pick was partly because they drafted him for the wrong spot (he's a T not a G) and then the injury really screwed up the development timeline. I get that they like versatility on the OL, but I think there is something to be said for drafting guys based on their best position rather than trying to fit them somewhere else.

As for the other guys on that list ... Long was never as good as we hoped he'd be, although he did see a lot of time during the championship run and did have the heady pick six against the Cardinals which turned that game into a rout.

Lewis was just kind of a prayer ... if he could have stayed healthy, maybe he would have developed, but that was the rub - health, which he never had for any extended period of time.

Hendo was held back some by the same issue, plus the inability to break tackles, but on the other hand he did do some good stuff for us. Can't really say he was a bust as a 3rd rounder ... more like met, but did not exceed expectations for someone taken when he was.

Jacob Harris was a very late round project pick, we took a flier based on his athleticism, and I don't have a problem with that. You don't really expect those guys to develop, but every now and then you get lucky and given the depth we've had in the WR room, I think it was fine for them to take a shot even if it didn't work out.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Just spit-balling here... I know nothing...
but, maybe instead of relying of FG's - we just gonna go for TD's all the time.
There's a plan.... :wow2:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, those WERE our high picks.
Rapp was decent as a run stopper but he sucked in pass coverage.
We need to hit on those third and fourth rounders.

We have not.
We're still trading away picks trying to fill the gap that Bruss was supposed to fill.
Total fail.
Either by the scouts who pick them or the coaches that were supposed to develop them.
Now we have lost almost total continuity in our coaching staff and this is a total makeover.
I'm probably one of the most optimistic people on this board overall but I'm running out of lipstick to put on this pig.

Yes we have?

Again, Hendo and Long were decent hits. Noteboom was nearly flawless in our playoff win over Tampa, Allen was our starting C for our super bowl season, Gaines played a huge role, SJD was good, Ernest Jones is up and coming, Fuller was a hit, and then going back further we have JJ and Kupp. That is likely a higher hit rate than other teams.

Oh and also....our high picks were Watkins, Peters, Cooks, Ramsey, Stafford and Miller.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, it’s tough to hit on 3rd and 4ths but it really sucks when a late 2nd rounder like Rapp doesn’t play well. He looked good in his first year.

Some of this fits into the Snead and geek squad picking players by measurables too. I think they may put too much weight on that side of evaluations. Hopefully they changed a bit. For instance Davis Allen has great hands, but isn’t fast. To me hands is an important football skill that is every bit as important as athleticism.

When the team doesn’t have a first and sometimes a second then 3-4s are early picks and it’s important to hit on some of them. Seattle got Woolen in round 5. The Niners got Kittle in 5. It’s possible to get production from that part of the draft.

Yeah, they need better production from mid rounders.

Long was invisible for years. He showed up a little in the Super Bowl. A lot of third round picks work out. They need 2s-3s-4s to be more productive over 4 years than Long was, or at least hit on some every few years that can really contribute. More Gaines and less Rochelle or Lewis please.

Long also had a pick on the first possession that season, and he was a key part of the d all year.

We as fans have unrealistic standards - and as I pointed out in a response to the other poster, we used our high picks on proven talent...it's not like we blew them on Trey Lance.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
A smart team will pick up Bruss and stash him on their PS. He was hurt his rookie year which halted his development and was coming back his second year from that injury and moving positions for the second year in a row. A smart OC/HC/OL coach picks him up based off his college tape and coaches him up.
Oh crap!! First we miss out of Creed Humphrey, now another team will grab Bruss and coach him up?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh crap!! First we miss out of Creed Humphrey, now another team will grab Bruss and coach him up?
Z2lm.gif

Yeah almost as bad as missing out on the next hall of fame QB :)

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Four hours after waivers are processed tomorrow teams can begin signing players to their practice squad. What do you think they move guys from the active roster to the PS? That's kind of the opposite of how the system works. You can during the season move players on and off the practice squad active roster. But a player has to be a free agent for a team to sign them to the practice squad.
He said "you can't claim someone on waivers and put him on the practice squad". I believe that's accurate. You can "sign" somebody to the practice squad who has cleared waivers. And if I'm not mistaken, you can't take somebody off your 53 and put them on the PS. You have to subject them to waivers and if they clear, put them on the PS. Of course I could be wrong.