Rams final cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
Exactly! After the player clears waivers. Now you have it. Your original post was incorrect but we fixed it. You’re welcome.
fight-seinfeld.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These threads amaze me. Not a game played and the season is already over.
This thread will be forgotten if the Rams blow out the SeaChickens. I'll personally post the Super Bowl or BUST thread!

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Here's some information that may be helpful....not counting their current draft.....home grown talented drafted by them.....

.....the dumb assed, lousy scouting Rams current roster includes draft picks from:
2014 (1), 2015 (1), 2016 (1), 2017 (1), 2018 (2), 2019 (0), 2020 (5), 2021 (5) and 2022 (5)

The defending World Champion Chiefs current roster includes draft picks from:
2016 (1), 2017 (1), 2018 (1), 2019 (1), 2020 (5), 2021 (4), 2022 (9)

Huge difference, eh?

NOTE: The Rams have made ZERO first round picks from 2017-2023, the Chiefs have made 5. The Rams have made six 2nd round selections, the Chiefs 10.
I'd expect finding a spot on a perennial SB contender with a more stable roster to be a little more difficult. My only point was as far as competing philosophies, with ours we needed to be exceptional in talent eval.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Lets be honest, the Rams aren't making any waiver claims or moves for anyone that can ascend the team.

They'll try and get a few more "development" cheap options and just wing it this year on Defense.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams should review their draft process every year.

I think they could do a little better.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Oh fuck, season over.
Of course not but I do think he would have been a prime Practice Squad target for the Rams.

Believe Johnson received the highest bonus of the 26 undrafted free agents signed by the Rams.

I have no Inside Information ... I don't even have any Outside Information ... Got lots of guesses!

WestCoastRam

Legend
The same scout that jumped in the water because they drafted his guy Bruss, is the same scout in charge of the David Edwards and David Long picks.

I hope he isn't around anymore.
Hahaha, you actually just pointed out why he still has a job. Nice!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Of course not but I do think he would have been a prime Practice Squad target for the Rams.

Believe Johnson received the highest bonus of the 26 undrafted free agents signed by the Rams.

I have no Inside Information ... I don't even have any Outside Information ... Got lots of guesses!

I have a little obliquely tangential information.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'd expect finding a spot on a perennial SB contender with a more stable roster to be a little more difficult. My only point was as far as competing philosophies, with ours we needed to be exceptional in talent eval.
The Rams were a Superbowl contender since McVay arrived!!! So they had a dearth of OL injuries last year and screwed the pooch. My point was, fans are complaining about the Rams talent eval, drafting and developing, yet you'd be hard pressed to find other NFL teams with better draft pick success/retention/development. So it's okay for KC to have 1 player each remaining from the 2016-2019 drafts? Because they are a Super Bowl roster? But it's not okay for the Rams, despite being a SB roster from 2017-2022? The fact the Chiefs have made 15 picks in the first 2 rounds and the Rams just 6 from 2017-2023, only makes that SB roster point an argument lacking factual support.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Rams didn't put a single claim in.

As I predicted.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of their drafts looked like mostly throw away depth types of moves or that they were drafting mostly for Special Teams. Snead alluded to this himself. If you have a very good roster, it doesn’t mean that there aren’t any weaknesses that need improved. Trading back for sixth round picks isn’t going to get a player to move Taylor Rapp to the bench for instance. Someone mentioned David Long’s contributions in the Super Bowl. He barely saw the field in his first three seasons. That’s poor production for a third round pick. Ditto with TuTu. He’s barely played any snaps in two years. That’s a waste of a second round pick. The angst is justified imo.

I think most don’t care about releasing drafted players if they aren’t any good. Bruss looked terrible. The problem is, who evaluated him and why did they all agree that he would be a good use of a late third round pick.

You can say, yeah it happens to every team. I’m sure it does at one point or another but when that’s your first pick of the draft you have a long time to decide who it’s going to be and they picked a guy worse than Bobby Evans. Bruss doesn’t even look like a good UDFA signing. I think we’d all prefer close misses, not complete whiffs from a Gam who is supposedly one of the better ones in the league.

It for sure happens to every team.

2nd/3rd round picks under McVay:

Gerald Everett
Cooper Kupp
Noteboom
Rapp
Henderson
Long
Evans
Akers
Jefferson
Lewis
Burgess
Atwell
Jones
Bruss

People have different opinions on players, but anyone who played multiple seasons and was a starter or significant contributor should be counted as a "hit" - why? Because that's just reasonable to expect.

Evans, Lewis, Burgess and Bruss are flat out busts here. I don't think any would debate that.

Atwell is to be determined, needs to show it this season.

The rest of hits though....it's not realistic to get a bunch of super stars. Do we wish we got more from Rapp, Henderson and Long? Sure. But you have to factor in that they were all starters or contributors to a Super Bowl winning team. We don't beat Tampa if Noteboom doesn't play like the best OL on the field that day.

So a hit rate of 10/14 is pretty damn good in my book, and I would wager well above league average for 2nd/3rd rounds. If I did the same exercise for day three of the draft, I would bet the results would be the same, that we're well above league average.

If people expect these guys to play like first rounders (which is also ironic with so many first rounders also busting historically), that's a mistake. Our first rounders went toward acquiring proven talent which actually allows the above guys to be role players for the most part - and that's how we won the Super Bowl.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would agree with those that think we have had more then our share of busts in previous years.

But again, we shipped off numerous first and second rounders in a strategy that helped us get the Lombardi. So it looks worse then it could have been otherwise.

I also think this years draft was a hell of a draft. Avila, Tomlinson, Puka and E. Evans look like major home runs. Several others in the mix might become contributors as well.
Exactly where I'm at. Generally drafts look their best early on, too. But even recognizing that I have to say this one is trending well. I expect this one will be Snead's best.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Here's some information that may be helpful....not counting their current draft.....home grown talented drafted by them.....

.....the dumb assed, lousy scouting Rams current roster includes draft picks from:
2014 (1), 2015 (1), 2016 (1), 2017 (1), 2018 (2), 2019 (0), 2020 (5), 2021 (5) and 2022 (5)

The defending World Champion Chiefs current roster includes draft picks from:
2016 (1), 2017 (1), 2018 (1), 2019 (1), 2020 (5), 2021 (4), 2022 (9)

Huge difference, eh?

NOTE: The Rams have made ZERO first round picks from 2017-2023, the Chiefs have made 5. The Rams have made six 2nd round selections, the Chiefs 10.
So basically the same amount of players.
And one ends up the world champion and one is 5 and 12.

So Kansas City's drafting is better and their player development and coaching is better.

That's why they're the world champions and we are 5 and 12.

Psycho_X

Legend

So Kansas City's drafting is better and their player development and coaching is better.

No credit at all for 2021? A team with no 1st rounders since 2016 and limited other day 2 picks due to trades? Yet literally a tweet from January a month before we won the super bowl...

View: https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1488185083638996998?s=20

Seems they do pretty good when you look at the big picture compared to most other teams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No credit at all for 2021? A team with no 1st rounders since 2016 and limited other day 2 picks due to trades? Yet literally a tweet from January a month before we won the super bowl...

Seems they do pretty good when you look at the big picture compared to most other teams.

It’s more of a team building philosophy that it is ‘doing pretty good’

They are big on player development. They also like reaping the Comp picks in return. The roster was full of stars with big contracts. They had to rely on cheap role players as the filler.

But look at it another way. If they draft a player in the second round who isn’t very good but plays adequately, then in four years they get a sixth round or seventh round comp pick for that player, was it really successful drafting?? If they got a third round comp pick I’d say yea. But all they seem to get is late round picks for these 2-3-4 round picks. It’s not like they are pumping out stars in their player development system.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

It's the NFL....Not for Long / or What have you done for me lately!! :laugh2:

I tried to point out the Chiefs must have fooked up on some picks, eh? Because they have the same number from 2017, 18 and so forth as the Rams. And I also pointed out the Rams went to the SB in 2018 and 2021, the Chiefs in 2019, 2020 and 2022. Geez, look at that will ya. The last 5 years have had the Rams or the Chiefs in the SB....and the Chiefs only retain about as much as the Rams. BUT.....because they're the reigning SB champs and we went 5-12, their system works; ours doesn't. You can't make this shit up!!!!