Rams final cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You have evidently not read this entire thread where I absolutely gave the Rams great credit for their technique in building a team that won the Super Bowl.

But they've still failed miserably in the use of their third and fourth round draft picks during that same time period and even last year with their pick of Bruss
They mis-scouted players that are no longer on the team.

I'm sorry if I hold them to a higher standard than you do.
Just out of curiosity, have you taken a look at the success and/or failure rate of selections taken after the first 100 or so selections for other teams over the years? Could be your standard for the Rams might be a bit too high.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don’t like the ‘I may retire’ talk. It just sounds like an agent playing games to get a better deal. AD did that.
I don't either.
Again.. the team's actions and decisions tell me he's in it for a few years. I think he had an awful year and has figured some things out. Jourdan has documented this pretty well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not stretching the window out and the resulting clean slate plus a higher draft pick would make this job immensely desired among HC candidates. It creates a natural break in a lot of ways for a coach who has been rumored to be considering TV.

McVay returning and leading us to another four to five year run would be fantastic. I am praying you are correct.
I don't believe for a second he would still be there if leaving after next season was a possibility.
This team has no chance at a Super Bowl, so I don't think he would be sticking around if there was any question in his mind.

This offseason was a complete reboot.. with him being the key, IMO.

Just my opinion, of course.

Jourdan has done a lot of reporting about his overall mindset last year and coming into this season.

I think the turnaround started toward the end of last season when they were being competitive with a decimated team... and that the postseason was just about taking inventory briefly... and assessing his feelings and talking to family.

Ultimately, I think McVay is a coach in his bones and is in no hurry to get to TV.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Ultimately, I think McVay is a coach in his bones and is in no hurry to get to TV.
That's the impression I get as well.
While I agree, I see some comparisons to coaches like Dick Vermeil and Jon Gruden.

Tremendous success and national attention at a very young age for an NFL Head Coach.
High energy and intensity that can exhaust that individual; and wear a little on those that person is around.
Tremendous opportunities outside their passion for coaching.

I do see McVay stepping away in the not too distant future but eventually returning to coaching.

My concern is that if the 2023 Rams are a weak team, it could hasten McVay's departure.

My hope is that they are competitive and improve as the 2023 season moves along; and McVay is excited and motivated to continue the Re-Build / Re-Load into 2024.

Last edited:

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
23 Defensive players and 26 offensive. Rams seem light on overall players in the front 7.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
While I agree, I see some comparisons to coaches like Dick Vermeil and Jon Gruden.

Tremendous success and national attention at a very young age for an NFL Head Coach.
High energy and intensity that can exhaust that individual; and wear a little on those that person is around.

I do see McVay stepping away in the not too distant future but eventually returning to coaching.

My concern is that if the 2023 Rams are a weak team, it could hasten McVay's departure.

My hope is that they are competitive and improve as the 2023 season moves along; and McVay is excited and motivated to continue the Re-Build / Re-Load into 2024.
Those are good comps… but I think McVay is a little more self-aware than those guys were and that he’s already doing things to protect himself more.
I also think he’s realistic about this year and success will be measured in terms of player growth.. not wins and losses.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I don't think the record will determine if he stays. I believe he has already decided and he and the FO already expect a mediocre or less record. This is the beginning of them rebuilding a SB winner. They are all in for the long hall.