Rams final cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Just spit-balling here... I know nothing...
but, maybe instead of relying of FG's - we just gonna go for TD's all the time.
There's a plan.... :wow2:
I remember, that was Fisher's plan a few times,
it seemed.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A little chippy in here. Let's end the back and forth. No sides taken. Just move on.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Go through every other team in the league and you will find the exact same thing. That's why they say the draft is a lottery.

Exactly. Pick a team, any team. Pick a team that you perceive has drafted well and scrutinize their drafts pick by pick , every round for the last 5 years.

I’d say the majority of teams have a similar success rate…and then a few teams that draft poorly.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Seems like the front office is maturing by cutting bait with the all sizzle no steak crowd.

Also curious if we raid the waiver wire for positions other than kicker.

TexasRam

Legend
I would agree with those that think we have had more then our share of busts in previous years.

But again, we shipped off numerous first and second rounders in a strategy that helped us get the Lombardi. So it looks worse then it could have been otherwise.

I also think this years draft was a hell of a draft. Avila, Tomlinson, Puka and E. Evans look like major home runs. Several others in the mix might become contributors as well.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Long also had a pick on the first possession that season, and he was a key part of the d all year.

We as fans have unrealistic standards - and as I pointed out in a response to the other poster, we used our high picks on proven talent...it's not like we blew them on Trey Lance.

And THAT was probably the difference between winning a SB and being an also ran who once again came up short—despite a “heralded” roster.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And THAT was probably the difference between winning a SB and being an also ran who once again came up short—despite a “heralded” roster.

and it was such a great heads up play. it stopped an easy 1st down for the bengals.

that play alone made him a great draft pick.

don't care what anybody says.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
We as fans have unrealistic standards
I think so. In order for our eff them picks strategy to work long-term, we had to be better than average at talent evaluation, and I for one have believed McVay-Snead and their scouting system/etc. were better at it than most, but it hasn't really panned out that way. I think that's what a lot of Rams fans are grappling with.

dang

Legend
I would agree with those that think we have had more then our share of busts in previous years.

But again, we shipped off numerous first and second rounders in a strategy that helped us get the Lombardi. So it looks worse then it could have been otherwise.

I also think this years draft was a hell of a draft. Avila, Tomlinson, Puka and E. Evans look like major home runs. Several others in the mix might become contributors as well.
Preseason home runs don’t count. Only regular season home runs. Gotta do it with the big boys.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think so. In order for our eff them picks strategy to work long-term, we had to be better than average at talent evaluation, and I for one have believed McVay-Snead and their scouting system/etc. were better at it than most, but it hasn't really panned out that way. I think that's what a lot of Rams fans are grappling with.

I would contend that it has though. Last year mainly happened because of injuries to the OL, Stafford, Kupp and AD. Without those we probably win 9-10 games last year.

We are projecting what this season will be based on opinions of this roster right now, which we don't actually know anything about yet.

The frustration seems to be coming from letting the guys go who we spent the capital on...but in the NFL these days, it seems far more likely that a player will play out their rookie contract and move on. It doesn't mean we haven't had success drafting though.

Or in other words - people seem to just have an issue with the team build in general, from trading picks for players and the way the team handles second contracts.

But it's important to keep in mind that last year was McVays FIRST losing season, and the main cause was (quite literally) record breaking injuries to the OL that no team could have weathered. So what are we doing here?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Here's some information that may be helpful....not counting their current draft.....home grown talented drafted by them.....

.....the dumb assed, lousy scouting Rams current roster includes draft picks from:
2014 (1), 2015 (1), 2016 (1), 2017 (1), 2018 (2), 2019 (0), 2020 (5), 2021 (5) and 2022 (5)

The defending World Champion Chiefs current roster includes draft picks from:
2016 (1), 2017 (1), 2018 (1), 2019 (1), 2020 (5), 2021 (4), 2022 (9)

Huge difference, eh?

NOTE: The Rams have made ZERO first round picks from 2017-2023, the Chiefs have made 5. The Rams have made six 2nd round selections, the Chiefs 10.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what are we doing here?

Sad Baby GIF

this basically.

i can't tell you how many posts i can't finish reading after a couple of sentences.

don't want to hear it before the season starts.

Angry Jazz Band GIF by PeacockTV

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some of their drafts looked like mostly throw away depth types of moves or that they were drafting mostly for Special Teams. Snead alluded to this himself. If you have a very good roster, it doesn’t mean that there aren’t any weaknesses that need improved. Trading back for sixth round picks isn’t going to get a player to move Taylor Rapp to the bench for instance. Someone mentioned David Long’s contributions in the Super Bowl. He barely saw the field in his first three seasons. That’s poor production for a third round pick. Ditto with TuTu. He’s barely played any snaps in two years. That’s a waste of a second round pick. The angst is justified imo.
I would contend that it has though. Last year mainly happened because of injuries to the OL, Stafford, Kupp and AD. Without those we probably win 9-10 games last year.

We are projecting what this season will be based on opinions of this roster right now, which we don't actually know anything about yet.

The frustration seems to be coming from letting the guys go who we spent the capital on...but in the NFL these days, it seems far more likely that a player will play out their rookie contract and move on. It doesn't mean we haven't had success drafting though.

Or in other words - people seem to just have an issue with the team build in general, from trading picks for players and the way the team handles second contracts.

But it's important to keep in mind that last year was McVays FIRST losing season, and the main cause was (quite literally) record breaking injuries to the OL that no team could have weathered. So what are we doing here?
I think most don’t care about releasing drafted players if they aren’t any good. Bruss looked terrible. The problem is, who evaluated him and why did they all agree that he would be a good use of a late third round pick.

You can say, yeah it happens to every team. I’m sure it does at one point or another but when that’s your first pick of the draft you have a long time to decide who it’s going to be and they picked a guy worse than Bobby Evans. Bruss doesn’t even look like a good UDFA signing. I think we’d all prefer close misses, not complete whiffs from a Gam who is supposedly one of the better ones in the league.

Tano

Legend
Here's some information that may be helpful....not counting their current draft.....home grown talented drafted by them.....

.....the dumb assed, lousy scouting Rams current roster includes draft picks from:
2014 (1), 2015 (1), 2016 (1), 2017 (1), 2018 (2), 2019 (0), 2020 (5), 2021 (5) and 2022 (5)

The defending World Champion Chiefs current roster includes draft picks from:
2016 (1), 2017 (1), 2018 (1), 2019 (1), 2020 (5), 2021 (4), 2022 (9)

Huge difference, eh?

NOTE: The Rams have made ZERO first round picks from 2017-2023, the Chiefs have made 5. The Rams have made six 2nd round selections, the Chiefs 10.
Can I complain about the 2019 draft?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
The same scout that jumped in the water because they drafted his guy Bruss, is the same scout in charge of the David Edwards and David Long picks.

I hope he isn't around anymore.

dang

Legend
I’ll eat my words if wrong. But I’m trusting McVay and the Rams to struggle through this season, figure out what they got, weed and seed and build a playoff beast for next year. Don’t really care how many games they win this year as long as they execute their plan for next year.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
The same scout that jumped in the water because they drafted his guy Bruss, is the same scout in charge of the David Edwards and David Long picks.

I hope he isn't around anymore.
Maybe because he knew he'd catch heat for those picks?