Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

superfan24

Starter
X said:
superfan24 said:
There's my boy Harrison. Before the Senior Bowl stuff most "experts" were talkin 5th round for him, but now I'm hearing high 2nd and nothing past the 3rd round. Would be great for our D, maybe at the top of the 3rd.
lol. You'd like to fill the roster with Irish. Floyd with the #22 and then Harrison at #33?

Harrison is a little too early at #33 for sure. I'll admit it even being the homer I am. Floyd at #22 would be fuckin awesome, but with the recent reports we'd be lucky if he falls to 22.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Alright, X, you wanted to see what I could write about the Combine? Here it is (warning: this is very long):

Now that the defensive backs have flown out of Indianapolis, the 2012 NFL Combine has officially come and gone. Even teams who don't pay attention to the triangle numbers (height, weight, and speed) have a lot of use for the Combine. Effort in the drills or a single interview could mean the difference between a first round grade for a player or taking him off of their board entirely.

The Combine also helps out players who might not be as well known as their peers. Players from smaller schools have used the Combine to vault themselves into the first round - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a prime example of that.

Unfortunately, the Combine can also cause a player's stock to take a dramatic hit. Whether it's a horrible interview or a failed drug test or even something as simple as a bad forty time or bench press, players like Jimmy Smith, John Moffitt, and Justin Houston have all felt the aftermath of their Combine results taking a large chunk out of their future salaries.

With all of that said, I've compiled a list of ten 2012 prospects who have either gained or lost ground due to the NFL Combine. I'll start with the five prospects who have made the largest positive impact:

1 - Robert Griffin III, quarterback, Baylor.

No one player has seen their stock rise as much as this mobile quarterback. Despite opting to throw at his Pro Day instead of the Combine, the man known as "RG3" managed to make a large impression. It all started with his interview. Griffin certainly looked the part of a franchise quarterback, as he answered the reporters' questions with a surprising mix of humor and intelligence. What's more is that many teams came away with a positive impression of the young man in their interviews.

However, Griffin wasn't finished yet. People who thought that he was barely six feet tall were immediately silenced when he measured in at 6'2", 223 lbs - a respectable height for an NFL quarterback. Still, it was his forty time that shocked the football world. The athletic quarterback ran twice, finishing with unofficial times of 4.41 and 4.38. His official time was 4.41, which is the fastest forty time for a quarterback since Michael Vick.

If the Combine is any indication of what Griffin might become, some team is going to be very happy to select him in the draft.

2 - Matt Kalil, offensive tackle, USC.

It wasn't like Kalil needed a bigger boost to his already-astronomical stock, but this Combine managed to do just that. Forget the fact that he quelled the people who doubted that he would weigh three hundred pounds (he weighed in at 306 lbs). Forget the fact that he ran the forty at a blistering time of 4.99 - an impressive feat for a lineman. Forget that he had thirty reps in the bench press with thirty-four-and-a-half inch arms and that he posted a 1.70 ten-yard split as an afterthought. What scouts were really looking at was his athleticism in the drills. He did that with aplomb; many people - including a respected analyst in Mike Mayock - were raving about his fluidity in the drills.

If people thought that there was a better offensive tackle prospect in this year's class, they probably admitted that they were wrong days ago. Kalil will go to the Minnesota Vikings with the third overall pick, and it's very unlikely that he'll drop further than that.

3 - Dontari Poe, defensive tackle, Memphis.

When Rams fans think of Memphis as a college, they fondly remember the days of Isaac Bruce, who was a second-round pick. If the Combine is any indication of this young man's talent, the fans of the NFL team who selects him are going to look back on this draft and think, "Man, I can't believe we got this guy."

Poe has vaulted himself into the conversation of the best defensive tackle in this draft class - and he might be looking at a spot in the top fifteen when it's all said and done. He measured in at the mammoth size of 6'4", 346 lbs. Naturally, he posted the most bench press repetitions out of any prospect at the Combine (44 reps). What stunned everyone who watched him was the sheer athleticism that he displayed along with his power.

He was fluid in every drill. He posted a ridiculously-fast forty time (4.87) and an equally-impressive ten-yard split (1.68). As a reference, Nick Perry out of USC - one of the fastest defensive ends at the Combine - posted a ten-yard split of 1.56. Oh, and he had a broad jump of 9'9" and a vertical of 29.5. I don't think that anyone could say that he wasn't the most shocking prospect at the Combine - at least, not with a straight face.

4 - Stephen Hill, wide receiver, Georgia Tech.

My God, will the Yellow Jackets ever stop producing these extremely athletic and huge wide receivers? Hill was a monster at the Combine. He may not have the physical stature of a Calvin Johnson Jr. or a Demaryius Thomas (Hill weighed in at 6'4", 215), but he was probably the most impressive wideout at the entire Combine.

His broad jump (11.1) and vertical (39.5) were just amazing enough to stand on their own merits, but Hill wasn't finished yet. He had to go and run a 4.36 to top it all off. And he wasn't terrible at the drills either. He's extremely raw, yes, but he just might go into the second round with his potential - or a team might surprise everyone and draft him in the first round, like the other two Georgia Tech wide receivers before him.

5. David Wilson, running back, Virginia Tech.

If the reports coming out about Wilson are true, then he might be the second running back selected in this draft. He's not especially huge; 5'10", 206 lbs. He's not especially fast, even though a 4.4 flat is pretty darn impressive. His vertical (41 inches) and broad jump (11 feet) numbers were great, and he showed that he has a lot of pass-catching abilities in the drills (which essentially proves that he's a three-down back), but none of those were what really impressed teams.

Wilson wore an Armani suit to every single interview he had with a team, and every team he interviewed with came back with a very positive impression about his character. He showed that he's a true professional in every sense of the word, and I absolutely wouldn't mind taking him with our second round pick. However, he might not even be there; teams like New England and Green Bay have to be interested in his talents and leadership.

Honorable mentions include Cordy Glenn (offensive guard/tackle, Georgia), Harrison Smith (safety, Notre Dame), Michael Floyd (wide receiver, Notre Dame), Robert Turbin (running back, Utah State), Michael Egnew (tight end, Missouri), James Hanna (tight end, Oklahoma), Zach Brown (linebacker, North Carolina), Luke Kuechly (linebacker, Boston College), Nick Perry (defensive end, USC), Mychal Kendricks (linebacker, California), Fletcher Cox (defensive tackle, Mississippi State), Kendall Reyes (defensive tackle, Connecticut), Bruce Irvin (defensive end, West Virginia), Whitney Mercilus (defensive end, Illinois), Josh Robinson (cornerback, Central Florida), Andre Branch (defensive end, Clemson), and Jeff Allen (offensive tackle, Illinois).

Unfortunately, there were some players who were inexplicably awful. I'm going to mention the five that stood out in the worst sort of way. I've already mentioned one of them in the draft thread, and I have to start with him as a result:

1 - Vontaze Burflict, linebacker, Arizona State.

This guy should have just stayed home and pretended that he was sick; it would have done him more good than what he showed here. Burflict had one of the worst Combines in recent memory (easily the worst I've ever seen), and people have just been ripping him without mercy - as they damn well should. He blamed everyone except himself for his poor season, posted a forty time more suitable for an offensive lineman than a linebacker who had lost weight, refused to do the bench press, posted an awful broad jump and vertical, quit in the drills, and he literally pissed off teams. Here's what one scout told Bruce Feldman of CBS Sports:

“The guy is completely out of control. There’s no way you could trust him. I can’t believe they [ASU coaching staff] didn’t cut him loose."

When is the last time you've ever heard a scout talk like that about a prospect? Burflict's uncoachable at this point. Could a veteran team like the Ravens knock some sense into him? Sure. Is it possible that he'll go undrafted and no team will take a chance on him? Definitely. However, that's not what people should be talking about when this guy was slated to go in the top fifteen.

2 - Dwight Jones, wide receiver, North Carolina.

I stopped wanting this guy after I saw him against Missouri during the bowl game in Shreveport. He looked like a quitter then, and after this Combine, he hasn't done anything except drive the point home. Mike Mayock ripped him for quitting in the drills, and it was pretty shocking to hear it from one of the only talent evaluators I respect.

Jones just looked awful. It's bad enough that he weighed in at 230 lbs (which is pretty heavy for a receiver at his height), but he also had a pathetic ten-yard split (1.62) to go along with a mediocre forty (4.55). And with his apparent apathy issues, it certainly doesn't look like he'll be anything more than a third day selection.

3 - Alshon Jeffery, wide receiver, South Carolina.

Of course, I have to complete the Carolinas; it's only fair. Besides, Jeffery fully deserves a spot here. This is a guy who refused to do any of the tests (forty, bench press, vertical, etc.) or drills. This is a guy who did a poor job in his interviews. Some team is going to take a chance on him in the second round, but in my honest opinion, they're going to get badly burned. Jeffery strikes me as a Haynesworth type: he'll make his money and quit on everything. I wouldn't touch him in the seventh round.

4 - Cliff Harris, cornerback, Oregon.

Ah, who can forget this guy? Even after he was kicked off the team for being arrested for multiple speeding tickets, Harris obviously hasn't improved his people skills. Like Jeffery, Harris did an awful job in his interviews and probably made some teams take him off their boards entirely. If that wasn't enough, he also posted a pathetic 4.59 at 5'11", 175 lbs. It's hard to imagine it now, but this guy was once considered a first rounder. He'll likely go undrafted.

5 - Mike Adams, offensive tackle, Ohio State.

Surprised that the last one isn't Janoris Jenkins? I guess he managed to answer his questions well; I haven't heard anything negative about him or his stock.

Meanwhile, Adams was awful in the tests. For one, he posted a mere nineteen repetitions in the bench press. Nineteen repetitions - and at 6'7", 323 lbs, to boot. Think about that for a moment. Think about what that says about his work ethic.

He also managed to post an unsurprising 5.40 in the forty yard dash, which confirms that he'll never be anything more than a right tackle if he ever succeeds in the pros. When you add in his suspension, it's just one of many reasons why this guy won't be drafted in the first round. He has major bust potential.

Dishonorable mentions include Janzen Jackson (safety, McNeese State), Jerel Worthy (defensive tackle, Michagan State), Justin Blackmon (wide receiver, Oklahoma State), Terrance Ganaway (running back, Baylor), Dwayne Allen (tight end, Clemson), Orson Charles (tight end, Georgia), Jared Crick (defensive tackle, Nebraska), Sean Spence (linebacker, Miami), Courtney Upshaw (linebacker/defensive end, Alabama), and Morris Claiborne (cornerback, LSU).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good write up man.

So what I'm thinking is that if Poe's "lazy" days are past him, he could be the biggest freak to anchor a D-line in quite some time. This will be a dude that turns the rest of your defense into a stat machine. He's going to clog the middle and move EVERYTHING back toward the QB. I want him in horns. Definitely a big need for us and potentially a huge force for years to come.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Memento, that write up was on point.

There were a couple of reflections put out there by analysts today I wanted to post:

According to CBS Sports' Rob Rang, multiple NFL scouts have compared North Carolina LB Zach Brown's instincts as a linebacker to Aaron Curry's. "That's no compliment," warns Rang. Brown runs 4.50 at 6-foot-1, 244, and possesses 33 1/4-inch arms to excel in pass coverage. Rang considers Brown a potential workout wonder, though. "(Brown) is a passive 'chase' linebacker who consistently runs around blocks rather than fighting through them," writes Rang. Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris has also questioned Brown's toughness.

One NFL scout told Sporting News draft analyst Russ Lande that he observed "stiffness" in Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick's Combine workout. Kirkpatrick has a strong height-weight-speed combo at 6-foot-1 1/2, 186 with a 4.51 forty time. He was less impressive in on-field drills, however, showing "average change-of-direction skills" and staying too high in his backpedal. Kirkpatrick is in no danger of falling out of the draft's first round, but he may be available in the 20s as opposed to pushing for the top 15.
SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline suggests that Virginia Tech CB Jayron Hosley's Combine workout could push him into the draft's second round. Pauline had Hosley at 4.47 in the forty -- he was "unofficially" clocked as fast as 4.38 -- and the time was particularly important because Virginia Tech corners have a relatively long history of running somewhat slowly in Indy. Hosley can fly, and racked up 13 interceptions during his final two college seasons. Writes Pauline, "He's the most underrated cornerback in the 2012 class."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sweet break-down, Mem. I'm going to post it on the blog.

What's your Twitter address?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I honestly would not complain if we picked up Hill in the 2nd round if we don't get Blackmon in the first round. I think he's going to be a good receiver.

Memento

Name
Jemma
X said:

Um...I don't have one. I really don't have much of a need for social networking.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memento said:
X said:

Um...I don't have one. I really don't have much of a need for social networking.
Okay. No problem. I was just going to give you a platform for people to get a hold of you w/comments - because after it's published, I'm tweeting it to ROD's followers. I don't use it a lot either, but it is the quickest source of news out there. Not always *accurate* news, but it is the first place things break.

superfan24

Starter
Wow enjoyed that report Memento. Stay away from those players with a 10 foot pole. Can't teach work ethic in the NFL.
Can't wait for the draft.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
My pre free agency 4 round mock. I only do 4 rounds cuz after the 4th I'm clueless, or maybe I'm clueless from the very beginning? Projected trade with Cleveland for their 2 firsts and their second. I think we should get more but that is all I will assume right now.

1st
#4-Justin Blackmon wr ok st

Don't care that he's shorter and lighter than expected, he passes the eye test when you watch him play.

#22-Fletcher Cox dt miss st

Warren Sapp said he's the dt that reminds him the most of himself.

2nd
#33-David Wilson rb vt

The second best rb in the draft.

#37-Kevin Zeitler OG Wis.

3rd
#66-Mike Martin DT Mich.

Martin and Cox give the Rams a nice tandem at dt.

4th
#97-Nigel Bradham LB FSU

6-2 241 lbs. Led the Seminoles in tackles three straight years.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB8HNoYwI_4[/youtube]

Can we just draft him now?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
You cant take that ESPN clip and extrapolate Blackmons complete personality from it. I have heard some sketchy things about him from my friends at OSU.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
libertadrocks said:
You cant take that ESPN clip and extrapolate Blackmons complete personality from it. I have heard some sketchy things about him from my friends at OSU.

You can't hold out on us now. You gonna leave us hanging like that ?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Selassie I said:
libertadrocks said:

You can't hold out on us now. You gonna leave us hanging like that ?

Yeah seriously, spill it.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Dont really wanna go into details for a couple of reasons.

First of all, it's not a first hand account, what I heard was a buddy's observations of him after seeing him at a few parties. Second there was obviously drinking going on. Im not sure how messed up my friend was.

Anyways I came away with the impression the Blackmon was a creep.

Also remember he had a DUI. That was just a bad decision IMO and shouldnt be held against him.

Im just suggesting that while ESPN has made him out to be an angel in that video, thats only a small part of his life. I definitely commend him for the time he has spent with that young girl. Its a cool story. Im not sure his personality is a net positive for the locker room. Maybe a net neutral.

Have to commend him for his work ethic which I have read is outstanding. My beef with drafting him is his level of raw talent. Im not sure he is a top 5 talent.

I heard much much worse about Ryan Mallet coming out of Arkansas.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
More and more people on the Ingram bandwagon lately. Maybe... :what:
I still want a playmaker with that pick though.

SC_DougFarrar ‏ @SC_DougFarrar
The more I watch Melvin Ingram, the more I'm convinced he'll just F people up in the NFL. Speed through any gap, VIOLENT hands. Total star.

Memento

Name
Jemma
X said:
More and more people on the Ingram bandwagon lately. Maybe... :what:
I still want a playmaker with that pick though.

SC_DougFarrar ‏ @SC_DougFarrar
The more I watch Melvin Ingram, the more I'm convinced he'll just F people up in the NFL. Speed through any gap, VIOLENT hands. Total star.

Guys like Ingram and Andre Branch (Clemson) have that really explosive first step that could serve them well at the next level. Still, I like the defensive ends we have. Long and Quinn are bookends, and Sims has only scratched the surface of what he can do. We might take one in the sixth or seventh for depth, though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Casserly on the wide receivers

By Charley Casserly NFL Network
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d ... nfl-draftt

j_blackmon_120316_WIDE.jpg

John A. Bowersmith/Associated Press

Justin Blackmon is considered to be the best wide receiver in the draft and is expected to go in the top 10.

We have seen a run on wide receivers in the early stages of free agency. I believe there were two reasons for this:

1. It was the deepest position in free agency;
2. Outside of Justin Blackmon, the remaining wideouts in the 2012 NFL Draft are not viewed as true No. 1 receivers, but as good No. 2's.

Here is how I rate the top receivers in the draft after viewing tape on them:

1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State: Easily the best WR in the draft, a smooth athlete who is strong and physical in his routes. He has excellent hands. He shows the ability to make plays after the catch because of his strength. He doesn't play with the top speed or suddenness of elite receivers like Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson. I rated Dez Bryant higher on raw talent. Blackmon is a receiver who should be in the Nos. 5-10 range in the first round. One player he reminds me of is Michael Irvin. The ex-Cowboy Hall of Famer was a physical receiver who lacked the elite speed in college, but obviously became a great pro receiver.

2. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame: He is another big, physical receiver who has very good hands. He shows the ability to adjust and make the difficult catch. Has some quickness and strength as a runner. He has the ability to put his foot in the ground and make sharp cuts on routes. He ran a limited route tree in college and showed some stiffness in the routes he did run. He had trouble running away from tight coverage and didn't win on deep routes despite running a 4.43 at the combine. Catches the ball better than Dwayne Bowe, who was a late-first round pick. That is where I see Floyd's value as well.

3. Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech: Boom or bust type. Ran fast at the combine (4.31) and shows big-time speed on tape when he is running a straight go route. When he has to run an out cut, he is not explosive off the ball the way he is when running the go route. In his workout at Georgia Tech, he showed the ability to be smooth in his routes. He seems to be improving in his ability to run routes based on his workout. His hands were inconsistent in the five games I watched. He dropped some balls, but I saw him make a great one-handed catch and show excellent concentration on a deep ball. For me, Hill is a hard guy to put into the first round off the tape. The workout at Georgia Tech was a first-round workout, though. If you believe in him, you take him in the first. At worst, he will be a second-round pick.

4. Kendall Wright, Baylor: I believe his best position will be as a slot receiver. He is quick off the ball and also quick in and out of his breaks. Despite his size, he was hard to press and would be even more effective from the slot or in motion in beating the press. He has some ability to make people miss after he catches the ball. He had a very limited route tree in college, but I don't see a route he can't run in the NFL. My two biggest issues in the six games I watched were his inconsistent hands and his lack of consistent separation on deep routes. In comparing him to other players taken late in the first round, I thought Santonio Holmes, Percy Harvin and Mark Clayton were better prospects. I see him as a very late first-rounder if you can reconcile his hands.

5. Rueben Randle, LSU: Another receiver with good size who is physical. He has very good hands. He shows some strength as a runner after the catch. He has good foot quickness in his routes and understands the concept of how to run a route to work the defender to get open. He is another receiver who has trouble defeating tight coverage. Doesn't show top-end speed. I thought Alabama's Dre Kirpatrick was able to cover him well in tight man coverage. I see Randle as a late first or early second round pick.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I want the draft to be over so I can create some players on Madden and get this show on the road.