Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
RamFan503 said:
X said:
Mel Kiper Jr. discusses how confident he is that Andrew Luck will be picked first in the draft, who could trade up to draft Robert Griffin III and what the Patriots will do with their picks.

[espn]7557964[/espn]

Chryst!!! What the hell would an NFL discussion be without the obligatory "what would NE do"? I really want the patsies to just die already.

Know what helps them be so active in the draft? Teams keep trading with them! I just want the rest of the league to stop giving them 1st rounders haha.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
X said:
Mel Kiper Jr. discusses how confident he is that Andrew Luck will be picked first in the draft, who could trade up to draft Robert Griffin III and what the Patriots will do with their picks.

[espn]7557964[/espn]

Chryst!!! What the hell would an NFL discussion be without the obligatory "what would NE do"? I really want the patsies to just die already.
Here's hoping for a SB hangover for the Patsies.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Gil Brandt's top 100

Here's the top 40:
1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Matt Kalil, OT, USC
3. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
4. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
5. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
6. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
7. Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
8. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
9. Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
10. Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina
11. Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama
12. Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
13. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
14. Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
15. David DeCastro, G, Stanford
16. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama..
17. Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
18. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
19. Devon Still, DT, Penn State
20. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
21. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
22. Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State
23. Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
24. Kelechi Osemele, OT, Iowa State
25. Nick Perry, DE, USC
26. Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
27. Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
28. Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
29. Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson
30. Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama
31. Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska
32. Mark Barron, S, Alabama
33. Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia
34. Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia
35. Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.)
36. Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
37. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
38. Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
39. Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
40. David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

Some guys of interest(either on my part or names I have heard tossed around the board):
46. Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
47. Chris Polk, RB, Washington
56. Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas
58. LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
62. Travis Lewis, LB, Oklahoma
85. Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington
88. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
89. Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State
90. Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa
100. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/2/13/2 ... ght-eat-it

Okay so maybe Alshon hasn't been training as hard as he needs to this winter:

Joe Everett
@RookieDraft

WR Alshon Jeffery, #SouthCarolina is training at St Vincents here in Indy. Sources say he's weighing 249lbs + running a 4.88 Forty #NFLDraft

For a guy that was projected as a potential top five pick when he declared, those numbers are not ideal. Even so--from here on out, we should all be rooting for Alshon Jeffery. Because there's nothing funnier than a chubby receiver, especially if said receiver still looks totally incredible sometimes.

superfan24

Starter
JdashSTL said:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/2/13/2795914/if-there-were-butter-on-that-football-alshon-jeffery-might-eat-it

Joe Everett
@RookieDraft

WR Alshon Jeffery, #SouthCarolina is training at St Vincents here in Indy. Sources say he's weighing 249lbs + running a 4.88 Forty #NFLDraft

For a guy that was projected as a potential top five pick when he declared, those numbers are not ideal. Even so--from here on out, we should all be rooting for Alshon Jeffery. Because there's nothing funnier than a chubby receiver, especially if said receiver still looks totally incredible sometimes.

Heard he's always been a bit of a train wreck. Would rather have Blackmon or Floyd if we were to draft a WR in the 1st round.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
superfan24 said:
JdashSTL said:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/2/13/2795914/if-there-were-butter-on-that-football-alshon-jeffery-might-eat-it

Joe Everett
@RookieDraft

Heard he's always been a bit of a train wreck. Would rather have Blackmon or Floyd if we were to draft a WR in the 1st round.

If he runs a 4.8 he would fall to at least the 2nd, maybe the third. People think he is Mike Williams(Seattle) part 2. Talented but lacks motivation and has a problem with weight.

I was a fan of Jeffrey. Thought if he had a half way competent QB he would have had a massive season, better than his first 2, but all this talk worries me.

That said, while Im sure someone will take a chance on him before we pick at 66, if he is there its an extreme value and Id pick him in a heartbeat.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
JdashSTL said:

Joe Everett
@RookieDraft

This is the exact reason why I'd draft any receiver over Jeffrey. I was hearing similar stories about him during the college football season. I wouldn't touch him with a seventh round pick at this point.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There's some WR who's like 6'5, fast, great hands, vertical everything, who is going into college (actually it might be Mizzou) next year who's probably going to be a top 2 pick in a few years. He could probably come into the NFL and start on the Rams next season, dude is a freak. That's probably the next Calvin Johnson.

superfan24

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
There's some WR who's like 6'5, fast, great hands, vertical everything, who is going into college (actually it might be Mizzou) next year who's probably going to be a top 2 pick in a few years. He could probably come into the NFL and start on the Rams next season, dude is a freak. That's probably the next Calvin Johnson.

Dorial Green-Beckham. One of him games was on ESPN last year and it was pretty comical. His qb was not good at all, but Beckham caught every pass and was 6 inches above every cb. I'm sure mizzou fans are pumped he stayed in-state.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
superfan24 said:
Yamahopper said:
For all the folks that like to play along at home, here's a 2017 big board. This might have been the guy that had Bradford as #1 when he was in HS.

http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/fcs ... ft-top-100

:rofl: that's pretty ridiculous

There's a whole draft sub-culture that looks at HS and tries to pick their draft value years in the future. Back in the sixties the Cowboys were known for scouting Texas HS players to get a heads up. And i'm sure scouts still do this today.

Some people had Luck as the #1 overall pick coming out of HS. Lots projected Barkley as #1 overall, which he will be.

Strange days indeed.

Memento

Name
Jemma
superfan24 said:
bluecoconuts said:

Dorial Green-Beckham. One of him games was on ESPN last year and it was pretty comical. His qb was not good at all, but Beckham caught every pass and was 6 inches above every cb. I'm sure mizzou fans are pumped he stayed in-state.

Yep. DGB is actually 6'6", 220 lbs with the potential to add ten or fifteen more pounds without losing speed. I love the fact that Arkansas fans were practically begging on bended knee for him to go to their school, but when he didn't, they trashed his name and insulted him and his family/girlfriend/school.

The kid's a bonafide stud. And yes, Calvin Johnson Jr. was the comparison they made.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'll be patiently waiting for Barry Sanders Jr. thank you very much. I figure SJ can hold the gig another two or three years while we wait for him.

superfan24

Starter
Warner4Prez said:
I'll be patiently waiting for Barry Sanders Jr. thank you very much. I figure SJ can hold the gig another two or three years while we wait for him.

Yes, I feel we are close so don't need a luxury pick as TR would be. I mean just fill the needs first.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Alright, here's the Combine weigh-ins. All statistics were taken from nflsoup.com, but the analysis is mine. I'll start with the offensive players and move on to the defensive players when their measurements come out:

The two top quarterbacks, Luck and Griffin, have NFL-ready size. Luck is 6'4", 234 lbs, while RG3 weighed in at 6'2", 223 lbs. Russell Wilson's (Wisconsin) size hurts him a lot. At 5'11", 204 lbs, he'll likely drop like a stone on draft day; unlike Kellen Moore or Jacory Harris, Wilson doesn't have elite intangibles or athleticism to make up for his size. Another quarterback, Nick Foles (Arizona) probably did the best in the weigh-ins; he's 6'5", 243 lbs, and he had the largest hands out of any of the quarterbacks (10 5/8 inches).

At running back, guys like Lamar Miller and Doug Martin really helped themselves. There aren't too many large backs in this draft (a lot of change-of-pace backs like Ronnie Hillman and Chris Rainey), so weighing in at 5'11", 212 lbs (Miller) and 5'9" 223 lbs (Martin) really helped their stocks. On the other hand, the stock of LaMichael James took a big hit; he measured in at 5'8", 194 lbs. I don't care how fast he is; there's no way he's going to hold up in the NFL with his size and injury history. David Wilson (Virginia Tech) had a decent weigh-in: 5'10", 206 lbs. Trent Richardson apparently didn't weigh in.

At wide receiver, we all want to hear about Justin Blackmon. Well, I can't say that he hurt or helped himself. He's big enough (6'1", 207 lbs), but does he have the vertical speed to complement his above-average route-running skills? I know that some OU fans want to hear about Ryan Broyles, and I think that he's big enough for his size (5'11", 192 lbs). If he can show that he's fully recovered, his stock could very well increase. Alshon Jeffery was much lighter than I expected him to be; his weight is 219 lbs, which should quell some concerns about him staying in shape. Michael Floyd has good size at 6'3", 220 lbs. Marvin McNutt grew an inch from his Senior Bowl; he's now 6'3", 216. Mohamed Sanu was 6'1", 211, but has large hands for his size (10 1/8). Brian Quick's Senior Bowl measurements were really off; he's two inches shorter than what he was listed at (6'3" currently). And finally, Kendall Wright is 5'10", 196 lbs. Not huge, but I'll wait to see what his forty time is before saying if he's made an impression or not.

Tight ends...well, I can say for sure that Dwayne Allen is a practically a Vernon Davis clone (6'3", 255 lbs). If he runs a 4.5, you'll see plenty of teams interested in drafting him in the first round. Coby Fleener is taller, but lighter (6'5", 247 lbs). Those two were the only ones of note; the class of tight ends this year is notoriously weak. If we want to draft one, we might as well wait until next year.

Moving on to offensive tackles. Mike Adams measured in at 6'7", 323 lbs. Impressive physical stature, but he's still just a right tackle to me. James Brown (Troy), in spite of some expert (possibly Mayock again) saying that he was a tackle, will most certainly be a guard at the next level; he's only 6'3", 306. Kalil is one inch shorter than his listed height (currently 6'6"), but he at least managed to get over 300 lbs (currently 306). His arm length is average at 34 1/2 inches. Same with Jonathan Martin's arm length (34 inches). He's one inch shorter than his height as well (6'5", weighed in at 316). Riley Reiff also measured in an inch shorter (6'5", 313), but his arms are small for a potential left tackle (33 1/4 inches). None of the top three tackles impressed me at the weigh-in, but the bench press and forty could potentially make up for it.

Cordy Glenn, though...he's proving that he could certainly be a right tackle in our system; his arms (35 3/4) are longer than many of the tackles at the Combine. Zebrie Sanders weighed in well; he's 6'6", 320 with 35 inch arms. David DeCastro is 6'4", 316. Peter Konz is 6'5", 314 lbs. Neither of their arm lengths matter much, seeing as they're interior linemen.

Otherwise, I can't really think of many other players that truly helped or hurt themselves.

superfan24

Starter
Memento said:
Alright, here's the Combine weigh-ins. All statistics were taken from nflsoup.com, but the analysis is mine. I'll start with the offensive players and move on to the defensive players when their measurements come out:

The two top quarterbacks, Luck and Griffin, have NFL-ready size. Luck is 6'4", 234 lbs with , while RG3 weighed in at 6'2", 223 lbs. Russell Wilson's (Wisconsin) size hurts him a lot. At 5'11", 204 lbs, he'll likely drop like a stone on draft day; unlike Kellen Moore or Jacory Harris, Wilson doesn't have elite intangibles or athleticism to make up for his size. Another quarterback, Nick Foles (Arizona) probably did the best in the weigh-ins; he's 6'5", 243 lbs, and he had the largest hands out of any of the quarterbacks (10 5/8 inches).

At running back, guys like Lamar Miller and Doug Martin really helped themselves. There aren't too many large backs in this draft (a lot of change-of-pace backs like Ronnie Hillman and Chris Rainey), so weighing in at 5'11", 212 lbs (Miller) and 5'9" 223 lbs (Martin) really helped their stocks. On the other hand, the stock of LaMichael James took a big hit; he measured in at 5'8", 194 lbs. I don't care how fast he is; there's no way he's going to hold up in the NFL with his size and injury history. David Wilson (Virginia Tech) had a decent weigh-in: 5'10", 206 lbs. Trent Richardson apparently didn't weigh in.

At wide receiver, we all want to hear about Justin Blackmon. Well, I can't say that he hurt or helped himself. He's big enough (6'1", 207 lbs), but does he have the vertical speed to complement his above-average route-running skills? I know that some OU fans want to hear about Ryan Broyles, and I think that he's big enough for his size (5'11", 192 lbs). If he can show that he's fully recovered, his stock could very well increase. Alshon Jeffery was much lighter than I expected him to be; his weight is 219 lbs, which should quell some concerns about him staying in shape. Michael Floyd has good size at 6'3", 220 lbs. Marvin McNutt grew an inch from his Senior Bowl; he's now 6'3", 216. Mohamed Sanu was 6'1", 211, but has large hands for his size (10 1/8). Brian Quick's Senior Bowl measurements were really off; he's two inches shorter than what he was listed at (6'3" currently). And finally, Kendall Wright is 5'10", 196 lbs. Not huge, but I'll wait to see what his forty time is before saying if he's made an impression or not.

Tight ends...well, I can say for sure that Dwayne Allen is a practically a Vernon Davis clone (6'3", 255 lbs). If he runs a 4.5, you'll see plenty of teams interested in drafting him in the first round. Coby Fleener is taller, but lighter (6'5", 247 lbs). Those two were the only ones of note; the class of tight ends this year is notoriously weak. If we want to draft one, we might as well wait until next year.

Moving on to offensive tackles. Mike Adams measured in at 6'7", 323 lbs. Impressive physical stature, but he's still just a right tackle to me. James Brown (Troy), in spite of some expert (possibly Mayock again) saying that he was a tackle, will most certainly be a guard at the next level; he's only 6'3", 306. Kalil is one inch shorter than his listed height (currently 6'6"), but he at least managed to get over 300 lbs (currently 306). His arm length is average at 34 1/2 inches. Same with Jonathan Martin's arm length (34 inches). He's one inch shorter than his height as well (6'5", weighed in at 316). Riley Reiff also measured in an inch shorter (6'5", 313), but his arms are small for a potential left tackle (33 1/4 inches). None of the top three tackles impressed me at the weigh-in, but the bench press and forty could potentially make up for it.

Cordy Glenn, though...he's proving that he could certainly be a right tackle in our system; his arms (35 3/4) are longer than many of the tackles at the Combine. Zebrie Sanders weighed in well; he's 6'6", 320 with 35 inch arms. David DeCastro is 6'4", 316. Peter Konz is 6'5", 314 lbs. Neither of their arm lengths matter much, seeing as they're interior linemen.

Otherwise, I can't really think of many other players that truly helped or hurt themselves.

Thanks for the info. what day do they run the 40's at the combine?

Memento

Name
Jemma
superfan24 said:
Thanks for the info. what day do they run the 40's at the combine?

From the 25th (offensive linemen and tight ends) to the 28th (defensive backs). The measurements for the defensive players are from the 25th (defensive linemen and linebackers) to the 26th (defensive backs).