Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The way FA has shaped up so far, I see the Rams going this way.

1, WR Blackmon or trade down a few spots and get Floyd, Hill, or Wright.
2. OLB Brown
2 DT Ta'amu
2 (If trade down in 1st) Best RB left
3 Best RB left or another OLB
4 OLB if no trade down
6 OG/OT best available
7 OT/OG

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
PFT posted an article this morning suggesting the Vikings may prefer Claiborne over Kalil. While most believe its a smokescreen by the Vikings, trying to drum up interest in the 3rd pick, if they picked anyone but Kalil it throws a wrench in who we believe will be there at 6.

IF they didnt pick Kalil, He could definitely fall to us. I would be thrilled if he was there.

steferfootball

Starter
I think I'd be happy with this. I'd like to see that 4th rounder go to OL. You can find some quality interior linemen around that spot, perhaps a RT.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:
PFT posted an article this morning suggesting the Vikings may prefer Claiborne over Kalil. While most believe its a smokescreen by the Vikings, trying to drum up interest in the 3rd pick, if they picked anyone but Kalil it throws a wrench in who we believe will be there at 6.

IF they didnt pick Kalil, He could definitely fall to us. I would be thrilled if he was there.

Either of those players would fill huge needs for them. You could make the case for them needing a CB more. They released Cedric Griffin, Cook hasnt done much, hes had off-field issues, and Antoine Winfield will be 35 when the season rolls around.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
TE Coby Fleener, 6'6" 247lbs from Stanford ran a 4.51 40 on a windy day, and his vert was 37", broad jump over 10'. Outstanding numbers and I've seen him play, he can snatch the ball out of the air with one hand. He helped himself and will probably be the first TE taken.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Randle & Claiborne improve .40 times.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ran ... witterfeed

At the Combine last month two highly regarded LSU players had just average times in the 40-yard dash.

Mo Claiborne, who many feel is this year’s top corner, ran an average of about 4.53 at Indy. Rueben Randle, the fine LSU receiver, ran in the 4.58 range at the Combine.

Today at the LSU Pro Day both showed significant improvement. Claiborne ran in the 4.45 area and Randle was even better running an average of 4.40 with some scouts getting him in 4.38. The 40’s were run at the indoor LSU practice facility on field turf.

Why the difference?

I could write a long story on that, but I will save it for another day. It’s safe to say though that Claiborne solidified his position as the top corner in the draft. Going into the Combine, many thought that Randle may be a late first but his 40 time knocked him down a bit. The improvement means Randle again could be a late first and at worst go in the top part of the second round.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Randle & Claiborne improve .40 times.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ran ... witterfeed

At the Combine last month two highly regarded LSU players had just average times in the 40-yard dash.

Mo Claiborne, who many feel is this year’s top corner, ran an average of about 4.53 at Indy. Rueben Randle, the fine LSU receiver, ran in the 4.58 range at the Combine.

Today at the LSU Pro Day both showed significant improvement. Claiborne ran in the 4.45 area and Randle was even better running an average of 4.40 with some scouts getting him in 4.38. The 40’s were run at the indoor LSU practice facility on field turf.

Why the difference?

I could write a long story on that, but I will save it for another day. It’s safe to say though that Claiborne solidified his position as the top corner in the draft. Going into the Combine, many thought that Randle may be a late first but his 40 time knocked him down a bit. The improvement means Randle again could be a late first and at worst go in the top part of the second round.
You can sum it up...NFL Combine times generally suck, especially official times. The Rams should be interested in both these guys.

steferfootball

Starter
DR RAM said:
TE Coby Fleener, 6'6" 247lbs from Stanford ran a 4.51 40 on a windy day, and his vert was 37", broad jump over 10'. Outstanding numbers and I've seen him play, he can snatch the ball out of the air with one hand. He helped himself and will probably be the first TE taken.
wind at his back or face? If you look at the result sheet at track meets, they keep track of this. I was never a sprinter, but it did make a difference as a distance runner.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
steferfootball said:
DR RAM said:
wind at his back or face? If you look at the result sheet at track meets, they keep track of this. I was never a sprinter, but it did make a difference as a distance runner.
It can and will make a difference, even in sprints. He ran a 4.51 wind aided according to Mike Mayock. They flipped him and he ran into the wind, and it was pretty windy...I could see it, and he ran a 4.55. That is pretty decent. I never ran a faster 2nd 40 than my first, ever....if they were both clean.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The more and more that I think about it...

If for some reason everyone above us passed on Claiborne, Richardson or Blackmon, I think I would take Richardson first. I will may consider taking Kalil if he was available, because LT is so important and it could really make our O-line very strong for a long time.

But in the end, a run first team needs to have a RB like Richardson more than a WR like Blackmon.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Softli & Balzer on the DTs

[vim]39061332[/vim]

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Do the Rams have two 7 round picks this year? I've seen a couple of mocks that show that but all the others do not????

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, they have a compensatory pick. I think. They were supposed to get one for Lloyd, but that might have been negated after Finnegan signed. I'll have to check into that now that you've raised my curiosity.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
Yeah, they have a compensatory pick. I think. They were supposed to get one for Lloyd, but that might have been negated after Finnegan signed. I'll have to check into that now that you've raised my curiosity.
Aren't compensatory picks based on the previous year's FA losses and gains, depending on how a guy you lost played elsewhere compared to how he played for you before you lost him? As a calculation of what the team actually lost by said player taking his skills to another team.

For example, we probably won't get much, if any, compensation for Atogwe, but for Laurent Robinson? Or is that negated because the Chargers cut him before he hooked up with the Cowboys?

In any case, they can't gauge the round level of compensation for Lloyd yet until the upcoming season's stats are finalized. So, on the one hand, we should hope Lloyd does well, but not his team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Softli & Balzer on the DTs

[vim]39061332[/vim]
Big fan of Brandon Thompson can really collapse the pocket, or take a gap and own it.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
@RobRang: For those concerned with Iowa OT Riley Reiff's arm length, know that his arms (33 1/4) are longer than Browns' All Pro Joe Thomas' (32 1/2).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
JdashSTL said:
@RobRang: For those concerned with Iowa OT Riley Reiff's arm length, know that his arms (33 1/4) are longer than Browns' All Pro Joe Thomas' (32 1/2).
Except he's NOT Joe Thomas, who is an exception to the rule. I see things I don't like about him @ #4.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Alshon Jeffrey had his pro day today. He measured very well. He ran in the 4.4s and had a 10 foot 2 inch broad jump while maintaining his weight at 213.

Some are speculating he has re-injected himself into the 4th best WR(after Black, Floyd, Wright) conversation and could potentially go late 1st early 2nd round. Kinda interesting. Should we not take Blackmon in round one, Jeffrey seams like a prototypical Fisher pick at the 33 or 39.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Alshon Jeffrey had his pro day today. He measured very well. He ran in the 4.4s and had a 10 foot 2 inch broad jump while maintaining his weight at 213.

Some are speculating he has re-injected himself into the 4th best WR(after Black, Floyd, Wright) conversation and could potentially go late 1st early 2nd round. Kinda interesting. Should we not take Blackmon in round one, Jeffrey seams like a prototypical Fisher pick at the 33 or 39.
Wasn't he playing at 230 plus?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Yo Doc!

I have seen 2 mocks in the past 2 days that have us selecting Fletcher Cox at 6. Picking him over Poe/Blackmon.

I dont think he is the type of DT we need. We need 2 starters. Langford was brought in to play the 3 tech. IMO Fletcher Cox is a 3 tech also coming out of a college system where he played DE and DT.

Is my logic right? In that they are both 3 Techs and should we draft a DT he should be a beefy 2 tech. Like a Poe, Ta'amu, or possible a Brockers?