Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
All things related to the Rams draft. Please post them here, and we will have comprehensive, fluid discussions, and analysis all in one place.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I'm hoping they address wr and o-line in free agency so they can draft either Richardson or Claiborne or trade down.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Both Richardson and Claiborne would be Fisher picks for sure. I think we're get a clearer picture once we figure out who the GM is, and after he's hired. Maybe we'll discover a pattern there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Both Richardson and Claiborne would be Fisher picks for sure. I think we're get a clearer picture once we figure out who the GM is, and after he's hired. Maybe we'll discover a pattern there.
I was thinking Richardson would be a pick for Fisher also. Richardson is one of the few very clean players in my opinion.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Here's my way too early mock...

1. Justin Blackmon, WR, OK State

2. Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina

3. LeMichael James, RB, Oregon

4. Jemmel Flemming, CB, Oklahoma

5. N/a Brandon Lloyd trade

6. Donald Stephenson, OT, Oklahoma

7. Best damn DT available

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If we take Richardson I'll be pissed!

lol

Nah...I would be okay with it. I think we can trade down to Cleveland at 4 and pick him up. If we could do that and pick up their second first rounder I would take Michael Floyd with that pick.

rd. 1a Richardson
rd. 1b Floyd
rd. 2 That Z. Sanders fella. (No false starts lol)

After that...I'm clueless who we would pick.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
X said:
I was thinking Richardson would be a pick for Fisher also. Richardson is one of the few very clean players in my opinion.
Why wouldn't it also be Kalil? I think Fisher truly likes to build teams from the inside out, and have a strong running game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
Why wouldn't it also be Kalil? I think Fisher truly likes to build teams from the inside out, and have a strong running game.
Yep, good point. So this, that, and the other. :bg:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

Fisher is known for drafting playmakers in the first round. In fact, I don't remember him ever drafting a lineman in the first round. (That's just from memory though)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Here's my Rams mock (without trades, as you can never really predict them):

1st round - Matt Kalil, LT, USC. You've heard my opinions on the matter. Left tackle of the future, etc., etc.

1st round alternate - Justin Blackmon. We need that stud wide receiver to grow with Bradford. I just believe we can find one later in the draft. However, that's no knock on Blackmon; the guy's really damn good.

2nd round - Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington. Another guy I'm really high on. We'd be very lucky to get him in the second round, but he'd immediately improve our porous run defense and give much needed youth in our defensive tackle core. Experts say that he doesn't have much pass-rushing potential, but they were saying the same things about Haloti Ngata, and look how he's turned out. I'm not saying he's going to be Ngata, but he has a lot of the same attributes. Plus he can play in a 4-3 as well as a 3-4.

2nd round alternate - Chris Polk, RB, Washington. Shocking? Not if we hire Fisher. He'll need a young running back to take over for Jackson. Why not a guy from a similar mold in Polk (5'11", 220 lbs, 4.46 forty)?

3rd round - Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa. He's one of my favorites in this draft. It's not just because he's a hometown guy. It's because he has everything you look for in a wide receiver. His only downgrade is that he hasn't performed well against top cornerbacks (Alfonzo Dennard), but otherwise, I don't see much wrong with him. Like I said, he's got everything to succeed, and he'd give Bradford a good target to throw to.

3rd round alternate - Marcus Forston, DT, Miami. A very high-upside defensive tackle who hasn't performed well against top competition and has been suspended a game because of the Shapiro allegations. However, the upside is too high to ignore, and he's too good to fall to the fourth round.

4th round - Isaiah Frey, CB, Nevada. Unfortunately, we do need cornerback depth. Bartell and Fletcher had serious injuries, and Murphy, while he has potential, isn't fully proven. Gordy would be a decent nickel option, but I wouldn't count on him as the starter for a full season. Marquis Johnson has gone on IR for the second consecutive year. Frey, a six-foot corner, had an amazing statistical season: thirty-seven tackles, sixteen pass deflections, and five interceptions. Granted, this was against weaker competition, but he has a sky-high ceiling.

4th round alternate - Larry Warford, G, Kentucky. Another underrated prospect, Warford is a big guy at 6'3", 340 lbs who can play either guard position with equal skill. He was second-team SEC performer two years in a row. He reminds me of Carl Nicks with his skill in both pass-blocking and run-blocking. The only reason he's an alternate is because he might not declare this year.

6th round - Derek Moye, WR, Penn State. A huge (6'5", 200) wide receiver who has struggled with poor quarterback play, Moye has an impressive physical skill set and could be a sleeper for us.

6th round alternate - Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma. Although he had an ACL injury which will send his stock plummeting, he's just too talented to pass up at this point. He also has chemistry with Bradford. That should count for something, right? However, some other team might grab him in the fifth round.

I have no idea if we have a seventh round pick or not, so I won't use it.

joeybittick

Rookie
Oxnard said:
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

Fisher is known for drafting playmakers in the first round. In fact, I don't remember him ever drafting a lineman in the first round. (That's just from memory though)

Excellent point. Just looking back at their history, the last OL that the Titans drafted before the 4th round? Michael Roos in the 2nd round of the 2005 draft.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2100&type=team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldr ... &type=team</a>

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
joeybittick said:
Oxnard said:
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

Excellent point. Just looking back at their history, the last OL that the Titans drafted before the 4th round? Michael Roos in the 2nd round of the 2005 draft.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2100&type=team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldr ... &type=team</a>
Remember though, just because the team drafted playmakers in the first round, doesn't necessarily mean that Fisher wanted that. It's been fairly well publicized that Fisher had a falling out with the GM/owner of the Titans, because they were drafting and forcing players on him that he did not want to draft/play. If Fisher truly had his way, would they have drafted they way that they have? Who knows.

obamamammy

UDFA
Guys some times you just have to take a risk!

1. Justin Blackmon WR
2. Courtney Upshaw OLB
3. William Vlachos C
4. Lonnie Edwards G
6. Derek Wolfe DT
7. Isaiah Pead RB
7. Vick Ballard RB

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Watching Calvin Johnson tonight, I can't see any plausible scenario that the Rams can come up with to not take Justin Blackmon first! Just can't see it.

steferfootball

Starter
Ramhusker said:
Watching Calvin Johnson tonight, I can't see any plausible scenario that the Rams can come up with to not take Justin Blackmon first! Just can't see it.
I think a true number one will open up this offense a lot.

Lloyd is all but gone anyways.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Memento said:

1st round - Justin Blackmon. We need that stud wide receiver to grow with Bradford. I just believe we can find one later in the draft. However, that's no knock on Blackmon; the guy's really damn good.

2nd - Chris Polk, RB, Washington. Shocking? Not if we hire Fisher. He'll need a young running back to take over for Jackson. Why not a guy from a similar mold in Polk (5'11", 220 lbs, 4.46 forty)?

Yes please.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Oxnard said:
Memento said:

1st round - Justin Blackmon. We need that stud wide receiver to grow with Bradford. I just believe we can find one later in the draft. However, that's no knock on Blackmon; the guy's really damn good.

2nd - Chris Polk, RB, Washington. Shocking? Not if we hire Fisher. He'll need a young running back to take over for Jackson. Why not a guy from a similar mold in Polk (5'11", 220 lbs, 4.46 forty)?

Yes please.

Still, we can't overlook guys like Mohamed Sanu (third best wide receiver in the draft, in my honest opinion; might be a first round pick if he blows up the Combine) or Michael Floyd (second-best wide receiver in the draft; might fall because of alcohol-related arrests; an option if we trade down). Either one of them could fill the void of a top-flight wideout. McNutt and Jones are also options in the later rounds.

Basically, anyone except for Jeffrey would be good.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM's quick scouting report. More to come on the top prospects.

Matt Kalil 6' 7" 300 lbs OT USC

Run blocking:

When the play is on his side, I've seen him block down and take out 3 guys, two of them defensive lineman. He finishes, you will see him locked up with a defensive lineman, have a brief stalemate, and then the defender folds backwards. I don't see a huge pop all the time, but he wins the battle almost everytime. This would be my biggest negative about him, he's not a snap, pop, immediate pile driver. He needs to move his feet a little before the drive. I've seen him a lot, and I've never seen him get knocked on his back, in fact, you almost never see him off of his feet. He IS a very good second level blocker, I think he would be our best the second that he plays, He has a uncanny way of getting to guys and then just burying them. He knocks guys off the screen. This is where you will find him leave his feet, but only if there is one guy to block, he will keep his feet if he sees multiple threats. Like I said....smart.

Pass pro:

Remember, he beat out another tackle that got drafted last year that is REALLY good already in the NFL. And he has a brother in the NFL. He knows what it takes. The thing that's hard for me to read is his pass protection, he seems so darn relaxed it's kind of strange, but what really is going on is that he is very patient, waiting for his man to make his move. Technique wise, he seems to have a little different technique. He has a very wide stance which lowers his center of gravity, and he kind of just shuffles his feet wherever they need to be, it's pretty unique if you ask me. He almost ALWAYS wins the battle, he plays with incredible balance, and is rarely off his feet. He handles the bull rush pretty well for his weight. I'm guessing that he has very long arms--he uses them very well. He DOES have pop in pass pro, which he uses to knock pass rushers off balance before they can get into him. He never stops moving his feet even when the pass rusher seems to have the edge, he sticks with him until the whistle. He gave up 0 sacks and USC passes a lot. They go downfield with deep drops a lot.

DR's impression:

He is a can't miss prospect and will be an immediate left tackle starter in the NFL. If he gets in a little better shape cardio wise, I see him get winded, and if he adds about 20 to 30 pounds of muscle, which he can easily carry on his 6'7" frame, then I think he could be a perennial Pro Bowl caliber player. No doubt in my mind. The more I watch him, the more I like him. If you watch him on film and watch any of the other top tackle prospects, Kalil will blow you away, as he blows away the competition.

superfan24

Starter
MICHAEL FLOYD please. If we trade down I would be very pleased if Floyd and a DT are drafted by the new GM

obamamammy

UDFA
Ramhusker said:

i agree it would be madness to pass on blackmon. the best route runner to ever come into the nfl ever. even better then jerry rice.