Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Mayocks Top 5 By Position(Offense):

QB
1) Stanford's Andrew Luck
2) Baylor's Robert Griffin III
3) Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill.
Weeden, Foles, Osweiler, Cousins, Lindley competing for spots 4-5

OG
1) David DeCastro
2) Peter Konz
3) Kevin Zeitler
4) Cordy Glenn
5) Kelechi Osemele.

OT
1) Riley Reiff
2) Matt Kalil
3) Jonathan Martin
4) James Brown (Troy)
5) Zebrie Sanders.

WR
1) Justin Blackmon
2) Michael Floyd
3) Kendall Wright
4) Alshon Jeffery
5) Chris Givens.

TE
1) Dwayne Allen
2) Coby Fleener
3) Orson Charles
4) Ladarius Green
5) Mike Egnew.

RB
1) Trent Richardson
2) David Wilson
3) Lamar Miller
4) Doug Martin
5) LaMichael James.

I found it very interesting that he doesnt have Kalil as the #1 OT. He is the first analyst I have seen suggest that Reiff is better. Not sure if thats a knock on Kalil or a boost to Reiff. Nevertheless Mayock is a good draft guru IMO

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Wow! It is conceivable with a good trade, the Rams could end up with 3 players from this draft rated in the Top 5 at their position. Let's get that wizard of a GM in place soon!

superfan24

Starter
Ramhusker said:
Wow! It is conceivable with a good trade, the Rams could end up with 3 players from this draft rated in the Top 5 at their position. Let's get that wizard of a GM in place soon!

Lake Dawson! But yea what the hell is taking so long

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Mayocks Top 5 By Position(Offense):

QB
1) Stanford's Andrew Luck
2) Baylor's Robert Griffin III
3) Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill.
Weeden, Foles, Osweiler, Cousins, Lindley competing for spots 4-5

OG
1) David DeCastro
2) Peter Konz
3) Kevin Zeitler
4) Cordy Glenn
5) Kelechi Osemele.

OT
1) Riley Reiff
2) Matt Kalil
3) Jonathan Martin
4) James Brown (Troy)
5) Zebrie Sanders.

WR
1) Justin Blackmon
2) Michael Floyd
3) Kendall Wright
4) Alshon Jeffery
5) Chris Givens.

TE
1) Dwayne Allen
2) Coby Fleener
3) Orson Charles
4) Ladarius Green
5) Mike Egnew.

RB
1) Trent Richardson
2) David Wilson
3) Lamar Miller
4) Doug Martin
5) LaMichael James.

I found it very interesting that he doesnt have Kalil as the #1 OT. He is the first analyst I have seen suggest that Reiff is better. Not sure if thats a knock on Kalil or a boost to Reiff. Nevertheless Mayock is a good draft guru IMO
He thought McCoy was better than Suh....just saying. Sometimes he gets a boner for a consensus guy, this year it appears to be Kalil. I have watched tape on both, and I don't what he is looking at, but there is no comparison to me. Reiff is not in the same class.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
He thought McCoy was better than Suh....just saying. Sometimes he gets a boner for a consensus guy, this year it appears to be Kalil. I have watched tape on both, and I don't what he is looking at, but there is no comparison to me. Reiff is not in the same class.

Very true.

McCoy has been good in the NFL, especially at stopping the run, but he has been hurt way to often and hasnt exhibited half of the pass rushing skills Suh has.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
http://thesidelineview.com/scouting-rep ... matt-kalil

Highlite reel. Might have been posted already.

He still looks great. But needs 20 pounds upper body muscle. He plays with his pad level too high at times and will get bull rushed by NFL DE's back into the QB. Counts on his long arms too much. This is why some teams might prefer Reiff over him as some scouts do now.

But that said. Right now if he started at LT for the Rams today, he would by far be the best since Pace.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yamahopper said:
http://thesidelineview.com/scouting-report/scouting-report-matt-kalil

He still looks great. But needs 20 pounds upper body muscle. He plays with his pad level too high at times and will get bull rushed by NFL DE's back into the QB. Counts on his long arms too much. This is why some teams might prefer Reiff over him as some scouts do now.

But that said. Right now if he started at LT for the Rams today, he would by far be the best since Pace.

Yeah - not really sold on Kalil and a lot of that has to do with his size. Even if he can pick up some weight, can he carry it and use it. That highlight reel is a game against a Ducks team known for being undersized on the line. I'd like to see more tape on how he stands up against REAL NFL caliber DEs. I just get this feeling he is going to get pushed around a lot - especially right back at the QB in a bull rush. He seems to rely a lot on his punch but I'm just not sure how well that will work all that often in the NFL.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
Yamahopper said:
http://thesidelineview.com/scouting-report/scouting-report-matt-kalil

Yeah - not really sold on Kalil and a lot of that has to do with his size. Even if he can pick up some weight, can he carry it and use it. That highlight reel is a game against a Ducks team known for being undersized on the line. I'd like to see more tape on how he stands up against REAL NFL caliber DEs. I just get this feeling he is going to get pushed around a lot - especially right back at the QB in a bull rush. He seems to rely a lot on his punch but I'm just not sure how well that will work all that often in the NFL.

He does need to add some weight, but he will easily be able to carry it. He's a huge dude. Not sold on him?? He has strong NFL bloodlines. He didn't give up a sack all year, that's a phenomenal stat in the offense he played in. Kalil has a lot more pop off the line than Reiff also, watch any tape and you can see that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
He does need to add some weight, but he will easily be able to carry it. He's a huge dude. Not sold on him?? He has strong NFL bloodlines. He didn't give up a sack all year, that's a phenomenal stat in the offense he played in. Kalil has a lot more pop off the line than Reiff also, watch any tape and you can see that.

Do you have any tape of him going against a potential #1 DE? What I have seen from Reiff is that he is not necessarily quicker off the line but does a real good job sliding DEs along the outside of the pocket and also not allowing the bull rush - which IMO is the worst thing an OT can allow and what makes JSmooth such a liability. Reiff is also known to have that nasty edge I'd like to see for a change with the Rams OTs.

With all that said, I guess my biggest problem is that I don't see any truly elite tackles in this draft and am not a big fan of taking O-linemen in the first round unless they possess unreal talent, size, AND attitude. If choosing between the two, I like Reiff a smidge better.

Give us some guys capable of truly burning a defense and the O-linemen won't be outnumbered half the game. Given that, I think we have enough talent on our line with maybe a little better coaching and a pick up or two.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Rams trade down to get Richardson and one of the several very good receiver prospects with their first two pics. That way we would likely be set at RB for years, have another good target (or two) for Sam, OLB, DT, a decent O-lineman, and a couple additional pics that we could take flyers on.

Maybe pick up that nucklehead Finnegan and a couple other FA's and we have a pretty dangerous team right away - again IMO.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

Do you have any tape of him going against a potential #1 DE? What I have seen from Reiff is that he is not necessarily quicker off the line but does a real good job sliding DEs along the outside of the pocket and also not allowing the bull rush - which IMO is the worst thing an OT can allow and what makes JSmooth such a liability. Reiff is also known to have that nasty edge I'd like to see for a change with the Rams OTs.

With all that said, I guess my biggest problem is that I don't see any truly elite tackles in this draft and am not a big fan of taking O-linemen in the first round unless they possess unreal talent, size, AND attitude. If choosing between the two, I like Reiff a smidge better.

Give us some guys capable of truly burning a defense and the O-linemen won't be outnumbered half the game. Given that, I think we have enough talent on our line with maybe a little better coaching and a pick up or two.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Rams trade down to get Richardson and one of the several very good receiver prospects with their first two pics. That way we would likely be set at RB for years, have another good target (or two) for Sam, OLB, DT, a decent O-lineman, and a couple additional pics that we could take flyers on.

Maybe pick up that nucklehead Finnegan and a couple other FA's and we have a pretty dangerous team right away - again IMO.

I'm not lobbying to pick Kalil, yet, first off, just rating him and comparing him to Reiff. Speaking of competition, Reiff virtually didn't face anyone considered top prospects. There really weren't any in the Big 10, or the Pac 12 for that matter this year, but Kalil faced some pretty good guys last year. But Barkley holds onto the ball a long time and USC runs a lot of deep routes, this puts way more pressure on the backside OT.

Reiff gave up two sacks in their bowl game. I saw him get bull rushed and shoved right back into the QB several times and it wasn't great competition. At point of contact on running plays it almost seems like Reiff's first step is backwards. Kalil doesn't blow guys off the line either, but he doesn't go backwards. They both can be devastating blockers once they get a couple steps. I truly see Kalil as a Pro Bowl caliber player, and I truly think Reiff will struggle at first. I think Kalil is better than Saffold, but Saffold is better than Reiff.

After the combine I will rank the top 10 OT's, but as of now, I would have Reiff rated as the #3 or #4 OT. I don't have any tape other than what you can find on the net, but I have watched Kalil play about 20 full games. I haven't watched that much of Reiff, but I've seen all that's available and spotlighted him in a couple of game, the last one being the bowl game, which he really disappointed me in.

I would love to get Richardson, big fan of his. There are not a lot of Rb's in this draft that I do like, but TRich is special. I do like a couple change of pace backs, James and Martin are two that I think are versatile and talented.

Trade down is best scenario for me, and there a lot of directions that we could go. I could see us getting Richardson or Blackmon, then K. Wright or G's - Decastro or Glenn with the other 1st rounder, then in the 2nd getting DT's Thompson, or Ta'amu, or LB Z. Brown. L. James in the 3rd. Imagine how much better we would be. I like Criner, McNutt, and Jones for bigger late 2 early 3 type receivers. Assuming 2 #1's and 2 #3's.

1st - WR J. Blackmon
1st - OG D. Decastro or Cordy Glenn
2nd - DT Thompson or Ta'amu
3rd - RB L. James
3rd - LB C. Thomas
or
1st - RB T. Richardson
1st - WR K. Wright
2nd - LB Z. Brown
3rd - G/OT Osemele
3rd - DT Worthy or Reyes

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

I'm not lobbying to pick Kalil, yet, first off, just rating him and comparing him to Reiff. Speaking of competition, Reiff virtually didn't face anyone considered top prospects. There really weren't any in the Big 10, or the Pac 12 for that matter this year, but Kalil faced some pretty good guys last year. But Barkley holds onto the ball a long time and USC runs a lot of deep routes, this puts way more pressure on the backside OT.

Reiff gave up two sacks in their bowl game. I saw him get bull rushed and shoved right back into the QB several times and it wasn't great competition. At point of contact on running plays it almost seems like Reiff's first step is backwards. Kalil doesn't blow guys off the line either, but he doesn't go backwards. They both can be devastating blockers once they get a couple steps. I truly see Kalil as a Pro Bowl caliber player, and I truly think Reiff will struggle at first. I think Kalil is better than Saffold, but Saffold is better than Reiff.

After the combine I will rank the top 10 OT's, but as of now, I would have Reiff rated as the #3 or #4 OT. I don't have any tape other than what you can find on the net, but I have watched Kalil play about 20 full games. I haven't watched that much of Reiff, but I've seen all that's available and spotlighted him in a couple of game, the last one being the bowl game, which he really disappointed me in.

I think youre spot on Dr. Kalil isnt flashy like pace was, but he's pretty damn good.

Also remember the Cowboys drafted a OT #9 overall last year. Tyron Smith out of USC. He started all year for the Cowboys at RT and played exceedingly well. They plan to move him to LT this offseason. He was beat out in college for the LT spot by a younger less experienced Kalil.

Kalil allowed 0 sacks this season. Given the type of offense USC has that's an outstanding stat.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Have no clue what Mayock sees better in Reiff in comparison to Kalil. He does this every year though. Ranks a big name pick 2nd under some other prospect. Sometimes he even flops right around draft time. I like Mayock, and I like Reiff as well. I just don't think either belong to be at top of the board if you know what I mean.

Still not close to being completely sold on Kalil or Blackmon as a #2 overall. I am sold on RG3 however. I'm confident we could work out some sort of trade, even if we have to pick him in order to hold teams hostage.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Like this:

1st - RB T. Richardson
1st - WR K. Wright
2nd - LB Z. Brown
3rd - G/OT Osemele
3rd - DT Worthy or Reyes

Even though I likes me the idea of one of our Ducks, I just don't know that Lamichael's game translates. He sure is fun to watch though.

99draft99

UDFA
The best draft i have seen so far is NFL Draft World

Check out the entire draft http://nfl-draft-world.com/

Pick 2
St. Louis Rams

Offense Rank 31: Passing rank 30, Rushing rank 23
Defense Rank 26: Passing rank 7, Rushing rank 31
Team needs: OT WR OLB CB C

If I was the general manager of the St Loius Rams, I would be announcing to the world that the number 2 pick is up for grabs to the highest bidder, and I’m sure there would be a bunch of teams interested in moving up to this spot to grab Robert Griffin, like the Browns, Redskins, Jaguars, Sea Hawks, Chiefs, Dolphins, or even, dear I say it, the Jets.
As Sam Bradford is the face of the franchise now, the Rams will need multiple upgrades to protect Bradford and give him some weapons. If they can trade out of this pick then great, but if they cant, the two most likely players the Rams will be targeting is WR Justin Blackmon and OT Matt Kalil. But after a poor season by the entire Rams Offensive line, where Sam Bradford was sacked 36 times in 10 games, this pick looks more likely to be Kalil.

With the 2nd pick the St. Louis Rams select:

Matt Kalil, OT, USC

Pick 33

The Rams would love to take a wide receiver here but the top prospects are off the board so they are forced to take the best player available. Michael Brockers is a tremendous talent that can play anywhere on the defensive line. He has the ability to play defensive end but is best suited as a pass rushing defensive tackle.

With the 33rd pick the St. Louis Rams select:

Michael Brockers, LSU, DE/DT

Pick 66

After addressing the tackle position, look for the Rams to give Sam Bradford some weapons to work with. If Brandon Lloyd leaves, then this will become an even greater need.

With the 66th pick the St. Louis Rams select:

Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
SI(Don Banks) First Round Mock:
1 Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford.

2 Cleveland Browns (projected trade with St. Louis) - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor.

3 Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil, OT, USC.

4 St. Louis Rams (projected trade with Cleveland)

Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State. If the Rams can swing this deal with the Browns and walk away with the draft's top receiver and Cleveland's pick at No. 22, what a wonderful world it will be in St. Louis at the start of the team's Jeff Fisher era. Sam Bradford and Blackmon were former rivals in Oklahoma, but I bet the Rams quarterback will make the rookie his new best friend.

5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU.

6 Washington Redskins - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M.

7 Jacksonville Jaguars - Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina.

8 Carolina Panthers - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama.

9 Miami Dolphins - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa.

10 Buffalo Bills - Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama.

11 Kansas City Chiefs - Devon Still, DT, Penn State.

12 Seattle Seahawks - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina.

13 Arizona Cardinals - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford.

14 Dallas Cowboys - Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama.

15 Philadelphia Eagles - Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College.

16 New York Jets - Mark Barron, S, Alabama.

17 Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland) - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama.

18 San Diego Chargers - Whitney Mercilus, DE-OLB, Illinois.

19 Chicago Bears - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame.

20 Tennessee Titans - David DeCastro, G, Stanford.

21 Cincinnati Bengals - Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska.

22 St. Louis Rams(projected trade with Cleveland, via Atlanta)

Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State. This would be the other pick the Rams obtain from Cleveland in exchange for the No. 2 slot and the rights to RG III. St. Louis could opt for other fixes on the offensive line, like Wisconsin center Peter Konz or Georgia guard-tackle Cordy Glenn, but the Rams are desperate for help at offensive tackle with Jason Smith's status so uncertain and unreliable.

23 Detroit Lions - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina.

24 Pittsburgh Steelers - Cordy Glenn, OG-OT, Georgia.

25 Denver Broncos - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State.

26 Houston Texans - Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis.

27 New England Patriots (from New Orleans) - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU.

28 Green Bay Packers - Andre Branch, OLB-DE, Clemson.

29 Baltimore Ravens - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin.

30 San Francisco 49ers - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor.

31 New York Giants - Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State.

32 New England Patriots - Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
libertadrocks said:

2 Cleveland Browns (projected trade with St. Louis) - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor.

Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State. If the Rams can swing this deal with the Browns and walk away with the draft's top receiver and Cleveland's pick at No. 22, what a wonderful world it will be in St. Louis at the start of the team's Jeff Fisher era. Sam Bradford and Blackmon were former rivals in Oklahoma, but I bet the Rams quarterback will make the rookie his new best friend.

Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State. This would be the other pick the Rams obtain from Cleveland in exchange for the No. 2 slot and the rights to RG III. St. Louis could opt for other fixes on the offensive line, like Wisconsin center Peter Konz or Georgia guard-tackle Cordy Glenn, but the Rams are desperate for help at offensive tackle with Jason Smith's status so uncertain and unreliable.

Seriously, if pulled off this trade I would have to consider trading up and getting a higher ranked tackle, especially if Reiff falls. But I'll trust our scouts/new GM/Fisher/Boudreau to make that call. If they think the guy from Ohio St can play, let's get him. The last tackle we drafted from Ohio State turned out alright.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
libertadrocks said:

I'd much rather take Konz, who is the number one center in this draft without question and - in my opinion - the fourth best offensive lineman overall (Kalil, DeCastro, Martin, Konz, and Reiff are my top five) or even double dip with Kendall Wright than take Mike Adams. Adams isn't very mobile, and he's very poor at pass-protection, especially against speed rushers. Chris Clemons, in particular, would kick Adams around like a soccer ball. Glenn's too much of a plodder and doesn't fit our system, so I don't want him either. Sanders would be too much of a reach; he's not even close to what Saffold was when he came out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
libertadrocks said:

I'd much rather take Konz, who is the number one center in this draft without question and - in my opinion - the fourth best offensive lineman overall (Kalil, DeCastro, Martin, Konz, and Reiff are my top five) or even double dip with Kendall Wright than take Mike Adams. Adams isn't very mobile, and he's very poor at pass-protection, especially against speed rushers. Chris Clemons, in particular, would kick Adams around like a soccer ball. Glenn's too much of a plodder and doesn't fit our system, so I don't want him either. Sanders would be too much of a reach; he's not even close to what Saffold was when he came out.
Adams looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Prototypical size, but bad feet. Will he develop into a RT?? He's not ready to play NFL football. Konz would be the better pick, IMO.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Memento said:
libertadrocks said:

Adams looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Prototypical size, but bad feet. Will he develop into a RT?? He's not ready to play NFL football. Konz would be the better pick, IMO.
Hey Doc, what do you think about Reiff and Martin?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
Memento said:
libertadrocks said:

Hey Doc, what do you think about Reiff and Martin?
Martin>Reiff. I think everyone is going to see Reiff struggle at the combine if he competes there.