Polian: Best fit for Bridgewater is Rams at 13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ah, there it is!
Yep. Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Roger Saffold might be upset.
Somehow. Some way. I think the other 48 guys will press on though.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Yep. Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Roger Saffold might be upset.
Somehow. Some way. I think the other 48 guys will press on though.

I think you missed my point.

moklerman

Warner-phile
If Bradford plays like crap or gets injured again this year, what do think the players/coaches/fans/everyone will think about Bradford?
If he plays like crap, I assume most would be surprised. If he gets injured again, I assume most would think it's time to go in a different direction because he's injury-prone.

Are you going to answer my question?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
RAMS ARE TAKING TEBOW AT 13 IF HE'S THERE @max. LINEHAM JUST RELEASED A PRESS CONFERENCE. EITHER GET WITH IT OR GTFO WHINER FAN.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Winners thrive on competition because it brings out the best in themselves and those around them, no?

That being said, drafting a QB in the first round seems a bit reckless with a good backup QB in Hill and help needed in other positions. I've learned to trust in Snead and Fisher. No they haven't been perfect in their picks but who is? If they come up with a starter on the O-line, at Safety and/or CB and you won't hear me griping.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It does undermine him because it divides the support of his teammates. And it isn't about being mentally soft, it's just human nature. You start trying to play perfectly, start aiming your passes, don't want to make mistakes, etc. Let's look at the Favre/Rodgers example. Favre had one of his best years as a pro in 1994. 4,088 yards, 30TD, 92.6 rating.

2005 they draft Rodgers and Favre's numbers plummet. Throws the ball 67 more times but has 200 less yards passing, lower completion %, 10 fewer TD, almost twice as many interceptions and 22 point lower passer rating.

Now, one might assume that it was age that was catching up to Favre since he was 35/36 around this time but he posted some of the best numbers of his career in 2007, 2008, 2009 at age 38-40 so I don't think that's the case.

If Rodgers doesn't slide in an epic fashion, maybe the Packers draft someone who helps the teams that Favre was leading and they don't have a 2 year dip.

It doesn't divide the support of his teammates. They'll support the better QB.

Favre also had one of the best years of his career in 2007 with Rodgers still behind him. Favre was an inconsistent player on a bad team with a coach that got fired in 2005. But that's irrelevant to the point that the Packers had two starting QBs...and I'd like to see someone try to argue that having Rodgers and Favre meant they had zero starting QBs.

Drew Brees had the best year of his career up to that point after the Chargers drafted Rivers.

Drafting Bridgewater isn't going to hurt Sam unless Sam simply isn't the better QB. And if he isn't, we made the right choice.

So what if the Rams pick Manziel at #2, is that ok?

No. Because Manziel isn't worth the #2 pick.

If you're a Ram player and the Rams draft Bridgewater in the first round, what does that make you think about Bradford or the coach's belief in him?

What will Rams players think of Jake Long and the coach's belief in him if they draft Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson?

Man that's a nice pass.

Yep. And he threw that with a badly sprained ankle on his plant foot.

moklerman

Warner-phile
And if the Rams draft Clowney? What will the players think about Chris Long?
I don't think this is a fair comparison. Clowney would be rotating in and out as would Long. I'd imagine most of the players would be excited at the prospect of a stable of d-lineman, not that Long was due to be replaced. If Bridgewater is drafted, I think the prevalent thought would be "when" Bradford is going to be replaced.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are ready to move on from Bradford but don't want to offend anyone.

I'm not. And yet I'd still draft Bridgewater. Some of us just prefer to hedge our bets...and speaking strictly for myself, I think a lot of Bridgewater.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You are ready to move on from Bradford but don't want to offend anyone.
lol. Yeah, that's why I posted a 5 paragraph thesis statement on the idiocy of people who think he's not a good QB.

I've said multiple times in this thread (and others) that I want a contingency plan in place now. Not when it's too late.
If Bradford stays healthy for 10 years, you'll find nobody happier about it than me. I've had his back since day one.

On a scale of 1-10 with one being mistaken, and ten being batshit crazy wrong, you just posted up a ten.

And because I want Clowney at #2, means I'm ready to move on from either Long or Quinn?
C'mon man. You know you're not good at distinguishing motives.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If he plays like crap, I assume most would be surprised. If he gets injured again, I assume most would think it's time to go in a different direction because he's injury-prone.

Are you going to answer my question?

This one?

If you're a Ram player and the Rams draft Bridgewater in the first round, what does that make you think about Bradford or the coach's belief in him?

It would probably make me think (as a player) that the Rams want a second option encase Sam doesn't work out. There are plenty of experienced coaches on the staff too. They would know what they would be getting themselves into, and would deal with it appropriately. The team would not explode.

moklerman

Warner-phile
It doesn't divide the support of his teammates. They'll support the better QB.

Favre also had one of the best years of his career in 2007 with Rodgers still behind him. Favre was an inconsistent player on a bad team with a coach that got fired in 2005. But that's irrelevant to the point that the Packers had two starting QBs...and I'd like to see someone try to argue that having Rodgers and Favre meant they had zero starting QBs.

Drew Brees had the best year of his career up to that point after the Chargers drafted Rivers.

Drafting Bridgewater isn't going to hurt Sam unless Sam simply isn't the better QB. And if he isn't, we made the right choice.
You're saying that there weren't any Packers players in '05 & '06 who weren't privately wishing Rodgers would get his chance? That Favre had lost it and needed to retire? I don't think there's any doubt that that team was split.

In the case of the Packers, it all worked out. Rodgers became a superstar and they won it all. What about your Chargers example? Is the plan to have Bradford move on and win it all with another team? Would the Chargers have been better served to use that 1st round pick on someone else to help Brees succeed? Who'd you rather have in a big post season game, Brees or Rivers?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're saying that there weren't any Packers players in '05 & '06 who weren't privately wishing Rodgers would get his chance? That Favre had lost it and needed to retire? I don't think there's any doubt that that team was split.

I have no idea. Neither do you. But I doubt it. Favre was a HOFer. Rodgers was a young QB that had struggled a bit in the limited time he got.

In the case of the Packers, it all worked out. Rodgers became a superstar and they won it all. What about your Chargers example? Is the plan to have Bradford move on and win it all with another team? Would the Chargers have been better served to use that 1st round pick on someone else to help Brees succeed? Who'd you rather have in a big post season game, Brees or Rivers?

I expect the Chargers would have kept Brees and moved Rivers via trade if not for Brees's injury right before he hit FA. If Bradford plays like Brees did, he has nothing to worry about...unless he suffers a major injury right before the end of his contract.

Chargers don't get to draft with hindsight...and neither do we.

moklerman

Warner-phile
This one?
It would probably make me think (as a player) that the Rams want a second option encase Sam doesn't work out. There are plenty of experienced coaches on the staff too. They would know what they would be getting themselves into, and would deal with it appropriately. The team would not explode.
No one said the team would explode but do you think it's beneficial for a young, up and coming team to be split on who they think the QB should be?

The way I look at it is, if the coaches and management think Bradford is unquestionably their guy then he's their Dan Marino or Troy Aikman or Peyton Manning or whoever. If it's my team and I have Dan Marino, I'm not taking a QB in the first round "just in case".

That's where the Favre/Rodgers example fails. Favre was 35+ years old and expected to retire. They weren't even planning on taking their contingency plan that year.

That's where the Brees example fails. The Chargers didn't think he was their guy. They'd given up on him and didn't think he was going to pan out. They weren't setting up a contingency plan, they were moving in a different direction.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with this:

No. Because Manziel isn't worth the #2 pick.
You don't think that Manziel is worth the #2 but that Bridgewater is worth the #13? Does that mean that you think Bridgewater is better than Manziel? Because if it you don't think he is then you are already trying to replace Sam with an inferior option right?

I understand the desire to get insurance but a #13 pick is too high a price yet not high enough. If you think Manziel is the better QB then you should draft the better QB. I know you want to draft a player in the top 5 who you think will be elite but Isn't that penny wise and pound foolish? There isn't a more important player on your team than the QB is there?

What are your thoughts about what I just said?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No one said the team would explode but do you think it's beneficial for a young, up and coming team to be split on who they think the QB should be?

The way I look at it is, if the coaches and management think Bradford is unquestionably their guy then he's their Dan Marino or Troy Aikman or Peyton Manning or whoever. If it's my team and I have Dan Marino, I'm not taking a QB in the first round "just in case".

That's where the Favre/Rodgers example fails. Favre was 35+ years old and expected to retire. They weren't even planning on taking their contingency plan that year.

That's where the Brees example fails. The Chargers didn't think he was their guy. They'd given up on him and didn't think he was going to pan out. They weren't setting up a contingency plan, they were moving in a different direction.

And yet we fall under neither. The Rams don't know if Bradford is their franchise QB and they don't know if he's not. Which is why the smart thing to do is hedge your bets if a very talented QB is available at #13. Especially considering the injury that Bradford suffered.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't think that Manziel is worth the #2 but that Bridgewater is worth the #13? Does that mean that you think Bridgewater is better than Manziel? Because if it you don't think he is then you are already trying to replace Sam with an inferior option right?

Yes. By a long shot.

I understand the desire to get insurance but a #13 pick is too high a price yet not high enough. If you think Manziel is the better QB then you should draft the better QB. I know you want to draft a player in the top 5 who you think will be elite but Isn't that penny wise and pound foolish? There isn't a more important player on your team than the QB is there.

What are your thoughts about what i just said?

My thoughts are that I think that Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft and very easily the better QB than Manziel. If I were the Texans, I'd take him at #1. That's how highly I think of him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I have no idea. Neither do you. But I doubt it. Favre was a HOFer. Rodgers was a young QB that had struggled a bit in the limited time he got.
Favre was playing very poor football and turning the ball over a LOT. For two straight years. There was a lot of rumblings about Favre needing to hang it up and Rodgers getting a chance. Favre pulled out of it and had 3 great seasons with 3 different teams but that doesn't take away the sentiment that it was time for Green Bay to split ways.