Polian: Best fit for Bridgewater is Rams at 13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bridgewater in the 2nd round? Great. But using the #13 pick on him probably destroys Snead/Fisher's credibility with all the Bradford is our QB mantra all off-season. You don't use the #13 pick in the draft on a QB if he isn't your future QB.
Doesnt hurt the credibility any more than the "No coaching changes in the off season" or the "want Finnegan back this season" stuff. Always can play the "we never expected" card.
That said, Rams dont draft a QB earlier than 3rd round

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If we're going this route then lets just draft the TE Ebron at #13. He's been mocked to go right around there. That's good value at that slot.
J.Cook is our starter but he could use some competition right?

Silly.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we're going this route then lets just draft the TE Ebron at #13. He's been mocked to go right around there. That's good value at that slot.
J.Cook is our starter but he could use some competition right?

Silly.
Well, if he missed the better part of 3 of his last 5 seasons due to injury, it really wouldnt be a bad idea.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well, if he missed the better part of 3 of his last 5 seasons due to injury, it really wouldnt be a bad idea.
120 sacks later and the shoulder hasn't been an issue AT ALL since college. Shall we include all college injuries whenever discussing all NFL players five years later?
Sam has missed 16/64 games in four seasons as a pro. Two different injuries. High ankle sprain in a season he got sacked 36 times in 10 games
icon_eek.gif
...no shit his ankle got tweaked.

My concern is the knee rehab , not Sam being a fragile QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
120 sacks later and the shoulder hasn't been an issue AT ALL since college. Shall we include all college injuries whenever discussing all NFL players five years later?
Sam has missed 16/64 games in four seasons as a pro. Two different injuries. High ankle sprain in a season he got sacked 36 times in 10 games
icon_eek.gif
...no crap his ankle got tweaked.

My concern is the knee rehab , not Sam being a fragile QB.
You cant deny he's missed a lot of games, whether the injuries are repetitive or not. I'm on board for waiting until 3rd round for a QB. But I also would endorse a guy at 13 if they had top 5 grade on him and he slipped. They have the luxury pick this year. If they are looking for QB next year, they wont be in same postion

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps, but you can't play Bridgewater at some other position in the meantime.

So...

Dammit, I hate when people use words I have to look up. Now I have homework. In any case, I think you're downplaying the situation. It wouldn't be a case of Bridgewater stepping in as the 2nd stringer and just maintaining game. The Rams would have to go through 2 QB's to get to him and it seems that coupled with the normal learning curve and often times 2nd year struggles, that it would be a couple of years of 6 win seasons.

I think you're reaching. He's not your typical spread offense project. As I said before, if we can hover around .500 with Kellen Clemens. We will be fine with a superior QB in Bridgewater.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Bob McGinn released his QB Rating and they had Bridgewater as the 4th best QB and a late 1st to early 2nd round pick. He's one of the few guys I trust because he has a lot of sources.

I just don't get it. I keep going back to try and figure out what I'm missing and my opinion isn't changing. I've watched pretty much every game he played in 2013 and a good chunk of the games he played in 2012.

I quickly just grabbed a couple youtube cutups of Luck in college to compare them side by side with Bridgewater. I chose the worst performance in terms of QB Rating and the best performance in terms of QB Rating against teams in major conferences for both in their final years in college. For Luck, that was Oregon(worst) and Duke(best). For Teddy, that was Houston(worst) and USF(best).

Here they are:

Watching these games, I don't get how Luck is one of the greatest QB Prospects of All Time and Bridgewater isn't even worth a top 10 pick. Look, Luck was a better prospect (Luck had more prototypical size, better throwing motion/release point, better build, and was more accurate on the deep ball) but it's not some gigantic chasm that it should be between the GOAT QB Prospect of the last decade and some fringe 1st round QB. Still, I really don't understand how Bridgewater isn't a top 5 pick much less a top 15 pick...unless it's purely the Pro Day. In that case, they're fools.

And this isn't a post criticizing Luck. It's quite the opposite.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like how he goes through his progressions quickly.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Still, I really don't understand how Bridgewater isn't a top 5 pick much less a top 15 pick...unless it's purely the Pro Day. In that case, they're fools.
I'll bet it is.
And they are.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like how he goes through his progressions quickly.

Yea, me too. He's really good at getting the ball to the check-down before the defense closes in on him. Peyton Manning has perfected that art. A lot of people scoff at it but the truth of the matter is that if you can dump it off to your HB and have him pick-up an easy, quick 8 yards...why wouldn't you? Peyton is really smart about it. If you give him it, he will take it until you stop it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yea, me too. He's really good at getting the ball to the check-down before the defense closes in on him. Peyton Manning has perfected that art. A lot of people scoff at it but the truth of the matter is that if you can dump it off to your HB and have him pick-up an easy, quick 8 yards...why wouldn't you? Peyton is really smart about it. If you give him it, he will take it until you stop it.
What's your take on the prospects next year, and what do you think of the 2nd tier guys, anyone you guys like in particular?

wrstdude

Rookie
I guess when it comes down to it for me, is if Bradford does get hurt, I'd rather bomb & have a shot at the top QB next year. I'm not saying that Bridgewater or any QB in this class is worse. Only that I'd rather have the extra premium player at a position of need to help the new QB next year. And yes, that could be a defensive or offensive player.

All IMO of course.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I guess when it comes down to it for me, is if Bradford does get hurt, I'd rather bomb & have a shot at the top QB next year. I'm not saying that Bridgewater or any QB in this class is worse. Only that I'd rather have the extra premium player at a position of need to help the new QB next year. And yes, that could be a defensive or offensive player.

All IMO of course.
That's of course a very rational expectation and there's nothing wrong with that either. Me, personally, I'm just tired of this team bombing. If there's a remote possibility that getting a very good backup QB can keep that from happening, then that's what I'd like to see them do. We all hope Bradford stays healthy and everything clicks this year, but there are no guarantees in that regard. We're not even sure how ready he's going to be for the season opener yet.

wrstdude

Rookie
That's of course a very rational expectation and there's nothing wrong with that either. Me, personally, I'm just tired of this team bombing. If there's a remote possibility that getting a very good backup QB can keep that from happening, then that's what I'd like to see them do. We all hope Bradford stays healthy and everything clicks this year, but there are no guarantees in that regard. We're not even sure how ready he's going to be for the season opener yet.
I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm barely even phased by the losing anymore.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's your take on the prospects next year, and what do you think of the 2nd tier guys, anyone you guys like in particular?

Obviously, Jameis is Jameis. I have concerns over Mariota, he needs development. But if he comes back and shows improvement, that'll make a big difference as he's extremely athletic with a strong arm. Bryce Petty is another guy with a lot of potential due to his size, athleticism, and arm strength but he's old(going to be 24 I think). Probably should have come out this year. Brett Hundley is also athletic with a big arm...but like Mariota, he needs development and needs to improve in a lot of areas in terms of consistency. Those are more the first tier guys.

Devin Gardner is intriguing as a second tier guy. Still needs quite a bit of development but shows some NFL caliber attributes. I haven't seen Chuckie Keeton play but I heard good things about him. We'll see how he comes back from his knee injury. I don't like Kevin Hogan of Stanford or Sean Mannion of Oregon State because both have terrible throwing motions. Both have very slow, weird, and deliberate motions. Jacob Coker of Alabama is intriguing because he has size(6'5" 230), mobility, and a strong arm but he hasn't played yet so we'll see about him. Could develop into a MAJOR prospect. Connor Cook of Michigan State shows promise too but I don't see him declaring in 2015.

There are also guys like Gunner Kiel, Trevor Knight, Jared Goff, or Jacoby Brissett who could declare with big years and come out of "nowhere" to an extent.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Obviously, Jameis is Jameis. I have concerns over Mariota, he needs development. But if he comes back and shows improvement, that'll make a big difference as he's extremely athletic with a strong arm. Bryce Petty is another guy with a lot of potential due to his size, athleticism, and arm strength but he's old(going to be 24 I think). Probably should have come out this year. Brett Hundley is also athletic with a big arm...but like Mariota, he needs development and needs to improve in a lot of areas in terms of consistency. Those are more the first tier guys.

Devin Gardner is intriguing as a second tier guy. Still needs quite a bit of development but shows some NFL caliber attributes. I haven't seen Chuckie Keeton play but I heard good things about him. We'll see how he comes back from his knee injury. I don't like Kevin Hogan of Stanford or Sean Mannion of Oregon State because both have terrible throwing motions. Both have very slow, weird, and deliberate motions. Jacob Coker of Alabama is intriguing because he has size(6'5" 230), mobility, and a strong arm but he hasn't played yet so we'll see about him. Could develop into a MAJOR prospect. Connor Cook of Michigan State shows promise too but I don't see him declaring in 2015.

There are also guys like Gunner Kiel, Trevor Knight, Jared Goff, or Jacoby Brissett who could declare with big years and come out of "nowhere" to an extent.
Thanks.

Man, I love how Petty throws the deep ball. He'd be my #1 right now, before next season, but that could change.

I'm a Pac 12 guy, so I am right with you on Hundley, and Mariota, but their talent level is very high, both made the right decision to stay in school. I'll watch for the other guys next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks.

Man, I love how Petty throws the deep ball. He'd be my #1 right now, before next season, but that could change.

I'm a Pac 12 guy, so I am right with you on Hundley, and Mariota, but their talent level is very high, both made the right decision to stay in school. I'll watch for the other guys next year.

Petty has great deep accuracy but I think I have to go with Jameis right now. Plus, as an added bonus, if I draft him...I hear he comes with free shellfish. I am a huge fan of crawfish.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Petty has great deep accuracy but I think I have to go with Jameis right now. Plus, as an added bonus, if I draft him...I hear he comes with free shellfish. I am a huge fan of crawfish.
We may be able to draft him next year, after he slips on that shellfish;)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Jacob Coker....too bad we couldn't pair him up with Jeff Smoker.