Polian: Best fit for Bridgewater is Rams at 13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
And yet we fall under neither. The Rams don't know if Bradford is their franchise QB and they don't know if he's not. Which is why the smart thing to do is hedge your bets if a very talented QB is available at #13. Especially considering the injury that Bradford suffered.
So, you're agreeing with me? I said both examples fail as comparisons.

And it's only a smart thing if one thinks Bridgewater is something truly special. Otherwise, a comparable pick will be available next year. I know you're very high on TB so I assume you think he is a special pick and high value at 13 but I don't know that that's truly what he is.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with this:
Yes. By a long shot.

My thoughts are that I think that Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft and very easily the better QB than Manziel. If I were the Texans, I'd take him at #1. That's how highly I think of him.
So if you think he's that good why aren't you wanting to take him at #2? The second part of what I said in my last post still pertains doesn't it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, you're agreeing with me? I said both examples fail as comparisons.

And it's only a smart thing if one thinks Bridgewater is something truly special. Otherwise, a comparable pick will be available next year. I know you're very high on TB so I assume you think he is a special pick and high value at 13 but I don't know that that's truly what he is.

That's what he is.

And I don't see a comparable pick next year falling to the mid first round. Unless one believe that Jameis Winston is going to fall because of those crab legs and crawfish he scrambled away from Publix with.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
No one said the team would explode but do you think it's beneficial for a young, up and coming team to be split on who they think the QB should be?

The way I look at it is, if the coaches and management think Bradford is unquestionably their guy then he's their Dan Marino or Troy Aikman or Peyton Manning or whoever. If it's my team and I have Dan Marino, I'm not taking a QB in the first round "just in case".

That's where the Favre/Rodgers example fails. Favre was 35+ years old and expected to retire. They weren't even planning on taking their contingency plan that year.

That's where the Brees example fails. The Chargers didn't think he was their guy. They'd given up on him and didn't think he was going to pan out. They weren't setting up a contingency plan, they were moving in a different direction.

If the coaches and management think Bradford is unquestionably the next Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, or Peyton Manning then yes, I would imagine they wouldn't worry about drafting a QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if you think he's that good why aren't you wanting to take him at #2? The second part of what I said in my last post still pertains doesn't it?

We presently have a QB. There are other similarly great players in this draft class that will be able to contribute more to this team. Gotta consider need along with talent.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can agree with that. Except the bolded part. Because there's no guarantee of that. This is all moot (and speculation anyway) if the Rams don't think as highly of TB as some of us ordinary folk do. For all we know, they could like someone like David Fales, Jimmy Garoppolo, A.J. McCarron, or Zach Mettenberger. They have been looking at a lot of signal callers this year. Which is a departure from the past two years where Snead never even bothered with that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I truly think that the Rams are just really trying to get other teams to believe what they might do at #13. Keeping them guessing, but they are also measuring all of the QB prospects that they like, and seeing what kind of separation that these kids have. If we can trade down, and pick up another high pick in this draft or the next, then spending a high pick in this draft on a QB isn't as costly, as just picking a guy @ the 13 spot, if Snead, and his scouts think that said QB is worth it.

I think that the Rams will pick a QB in this draft for sure, and I think that the FO is a pretty good one, so I don't think they will burn a pick before the 5th round. What I mean by that, is that I don't think we will pick a QB, unless we think he is good enough to be a starter one day. Now, if Bridgwater is the only guy they believe in, and they think he is cost effective only at #13, or in a trade down, wherever they think he's worth, then draft him at that spot. I think Sam Bradford scared the shit out of them last year when he got hurt again. I think they made a mistake not going after a quality back up sooner, they know they made that mistake, and they won't make it again, IMO. Austin Davis didn't progress, and Bradford got hurt again, or we are not having this conversation.

I'm not worried about Bradford's feelings, he is an ALPHA, and an extremely competitive guy. This could actually help him to thrive, although I am not, in any way, calling him a slacker. If the backup QB is actually better than Bradford, it's a win-win, because Bradford has worth in the league. If Bradford loses out, this year, next, whenever, then we will move him, and then draft another guy to back up our new QB1. That is what backups are for, and the better teams in this league still win with backups on the field. Isn't that where we want to be?

@CGI_Ram I didn't use the word value, and I could have several times.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
One thing this thread shows me is that this draft is gonna be wild.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I can agree with that. Except the bolded part. Because there's no guarantee of that. This is all moot (and speculation anyway) if the Rams don't think as highly of TB as some of us ordinary folk do. For all we know, they could like someone like David Fales, Jimmy Garoppolo, A.J. McCarron, or Zach Mettenberger. They have been looking at a lot of signal callers this year. Which is a departure from the past two years where Snead never even bothered with that.
Don't forget Savage. If they feel compelled to take a QB, I hope they get him. Not only for his physical skills but he has the coolest name.

But overall, that's how I feel about this year's crop of signal-callers. Nothing truly special IMO. Sure, there's going to be this years Nick Foles that pops up out of nowhere just like there's a guy like that just about every year but as far as who the Rams could get next year, if they had to, I don't see how this year's group really separates themselves from whatever the group will be next year.

I don't even know if the Rams would go with a draft pick. The team should be far enough along that if they decide to move on from Bradford, a veteran FA or young FA with upside might be the way to go(a la Kerry Collins but hopefully better).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Don't forget Savage. If they feel compelled to take a QB, I hope they get him. Not only for his physical skills but he has the coolest name.
Agree. I would buy that jersey.

I don't even know if the Rams would go with a draft pick. The team should be far enough along that if they decide to move on from Bradford, a veteran FA or young FA with upside might be the way to go(a la Kerry Collins but hopefully better).
Ew.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

But overall, that's how I feel about this year's crop of signal-callers. Nothing truly special IMO. Sure, there's going to be this years Nick Foles that pops up out of nowhere just like there's a guy like that just about every year but as far as who the Rams could get next year, if they had to, I don't see how this year's group really separates themselves from whatever the group will be next year.

Like Kirk Cousins, or Mike Glennon for instance.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Like Kirk Cousins, or Mike Glennon for instance.
Well yeah, but I'd like them to do much better than Collins. I'm not too enthusiastic about either of those guys. But the point remains, if Fisher gets the Rams set up like the Titans were then the potential for a solid free agent to come in and have success...especially if the team's success isn't solely on his shoulders, is a realistic plan to move on from Bradford without the growing pains that a rookie would have.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well yeah, but I'd like them to do much better than Collins. I'm not too enthusiastic about either of those guys. But the point remains, if Fisher gets the Rams set up like the Titans were then the potential for a solid free agent to come in and have success...especially if the team's success isn't solely on his shoulders, is a realistic plan to move on from Bradford without the growing pains that a rookie would have.
I think since this is the first time that this is Fisher's baby from the jump, and Snead feels the same way, that we want sustainability throughout the team, and I don't think you get that from a old vet. What you do get from an old vet is what you want to win a few games in a pinch, to even saving a season, which is great. S. Hill can do that for us.

My bet would be that we carry 3 QB's from now on = Sam, a vet, and a pup.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think since this is the first time that this is Fisher's baby from the jump, and Snead feels the same way, that we want sustainability throughout the team, and I don't think you get that from a old vet. What you do get from an old vet is what you want to win a few games in a pinch, to even saving a season, which is great. S. Hill can do that for us.

My bet would be that we carry 3 QB's from now on = Sam, a vet, and a pup.
I'd agree since that's pretty much what they've already been doing. Granted, Clemens and Davis weren't exactly the optimal choices but I don't see anything in the way that they've been doing things that would suggest spending such a high pick on a QB. If anything, especially considering the division they're in, the goal would be to set up the team in such a way that a 3rd round QB could come in and keep things afloat and maybe even have success.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Happy hour was kind to me tonight. Great discussion i missed here.

There is such a thing as managing football players in addition to coaching them. Same goes with managing a team of football human beings in a locker room.
Rams are asking for trouble by drafting one of these a QB's at #13. These QB's likely aren't very good(better than Bradford) and right now there are holes to fill that include the #13 pick.
"Playoffs? Drafting a QB in the first rd? We're just trying to overtake 3rd place. We've got a solid defense. Lets go get some protection for the QB we've got."
th

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if Bradford goes down again or sucks, we'll still be a 4th place team. That trend would most likely continue beyond next year since we didn't have a QB. If Bradford goes down or isn't up to snuff, we'll be picking in the middle again. I'm not sure a QB of Bridgewater's caliber would be where we pick next year. And if Bradford turns out to be the guy, we can still trade Bridgewater and get the pick back.

I couldn't disagree more with this. The rams want to win now. That need an impact player now. To waste it on a qb as insurance is the dumbest thing the rams can do now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's a good way to remain in the middle of the pack for the foreseeable future.

moklerman

Warner-phile
That's a good way to remain in the middle of the pack for the foreseeable future.
How so? That Collins led team went 13-3 and I think we can all agree that Collins wasn't anything great. I think Fisher/Snead is going to net greater results than what Fisher and Co. did in Houston/Tennessee so hypothetically speaking, a solid, veteran QB should equal and IMO, surpass what Collins was able to do.

How is drafting a QB in the first round when you've already got a lot committed and invested in your current QB a formula for success? At the very best, it would be a luxury pick. If Bridgewater is drafted and even sees the field his first two years, the Rams have two subpar years on their hands. It means Bradford is hurt and/or gone and that a high first round pick has had to go to a QB that is completely unproven and will have at least a year or two of learning to likely get up to speed.

As it stands, the Rams have to continue to build around Bradford. But even if that changes, I'd much rather have a less costly draft pick at QB and these precious early first rounders being used on players that can help Bradford now or a new QB in the future. Build up a good all-around team with the RGIII bounty and then it won't be so difficult to find a QB to lead them.