Polian: Best fit for Bridgewater is Rams at 13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Drafting a QB in the first rd with Bradford and Shaun Hill on the roster would be silly. We're a 4th place team with protection,skill position and secondary issues.

We also have an extra first round pick and a boat load of talent already on the roster from the RGme trade. What we don't have is consistent play from the QB position. Not to date anyway.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How so? That Collins led team went 13-3 and I think we can all agree that Collins wasn't anything great. I think Fisher/Snead is going to net greater results than what Fisher and Co. did in Houston/Tennessee so hypothetically speaking, a solid, veteran QB should equal and IMO, surpass what Collins was able to do.

As it stands, the Rams have to continue to build around Bradford. But even if that changes, I'd much rather have a less costly draft pick at QB and these precious early first rounders being used on players that can help Bradford now or a new QB in the future. Build up a good all-around team with the RGIII bounty and then it won't be so difficult to find a QB to lead them.

In his five years with Tennessee, they went 8-8, 10-6, 13-3, 8-8, and 6-10. They didn't sustain success or remain contenders.

The best way to do that is to find a franchise QB. If Sam isn't one, we should look for a guy that is.

I'd rather spend a 7th rounder on a franchise QB...but that's unlikely. You want a franchise QB? You typically have to spend an important draft pick on one.

How is drafting a QB in the first round when you've already got a lot committed and invested in your current QB a formula for success? At the very best, it would be a luxury pick. If Bridgewater is drafted and even sees the field his first two years, the Rams have two subpar years on their hands. It means Bradford is hurt and/or gone and that a high first round pick has had to go to a QB that is completely unproven and will have at least a year or two of learning to likely get up to speed.

It's hedging your bets with a talented QB when you have a question mark at the position.

I don't care what is or isn't deemed to be a "luxury" pick. It's a "luxury" pick if Sam comes back strong, establishes himself as our franchise QB, and stays healthy. In that case...I think I'm okay with the outcome.

As far as the first two years being subpar years if Bridgewater sees the field, I think recent history debunks that argument.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
So, the questions in this thread, concerning the Rams taking a QB at 13, are:

Will the team be divided in their loyalties to Bradford? Thing is, Bradford is Fisher's QB. His skills are evident. The only reason any of this being discussed is, IMO, misguided concerns about his health.

Will Bradford handle the concept of competition? Why wouldn't he? The NFL is all about competition. Any player who thinks they're entitled to a starter's job (and don't they all?) must work for it.

Do these same questions exist if Bridgewater falls to the second round? Assuming Bridgewater falls that far.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Bill Polian knows a thing or two. It's clear as day to me that we need to draft a competent QB to compete with Bradford AND as insurance (like X said). We have an extra first round pick. If we can get Bridgewater at #13 it would be a STEAL. The guy is a baller. Forget his ridiculous pro-day. Look at how effortlessly he flips the ball to a spot where his receivers can get YAC.... The dude is legitimate. That said, there is no way he's around at #13. This whole "Bridgewater is falling" crap is just that.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If Bradford plays like crap or gets injured again this year, what do think the players/coaches/fans/everyone will think about Bradford?

Half of Rams fans are already over Bradford. What's the realistic chance he's going to come off an ACL and play better than his historical stats - is the better question.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Half of Rams fans are already over Bradford. What's the realistic chance he's going to come off an ACL and play better than his historical stats - is the better question.

Well, I'm not trying to pile on Bradford. In fact I think he was playing some of the best ball he's ever played before he got injured. But, yeah. He got injured. Again. So... Who knows. That's kinda the point as we all know, and have known for a few years.

moklerman

Warner-phile
That reminds me of the pass Bradford didn't make to TA against Atlanta. Bradford threw a floater to TA when he had steps. Bridgewater threw a strike.
Funny it wouldn't remind you of the strike he threw to TA against Carolina. Or the strike he threw to Quick against Carolina. Or the many strikes he threw to Givens last year.

moklerman

Warner-phile
jrry32']In his five years with Tennessee said:
The best way to do that is to find a franchise QB. If Sam isn't one, we should look for a guy that is.

I'd rather spend a 7th rounder on a franchise QB...but that's unlikely. You want a franchise QB? You typically have to spend an important draft pick on one.
I agree. You generally have to draft in the first couple of rounds to have a decent roll of the dice. But I don't agree that you roll the dice when it isn't a need. The Rams aren't stuck with Steve Walsh and a 200 year old Mark Rypien. They have a guy they believe in who has gotten better each year he's been in the league. Generally under very poor circumstances. He doesn't have any chronic problems in any one area like say, Matt Leinart who kept popping his shoulder. When he's healthy he plays well. It's too soon to consider replacing him. Which is what drafting Bridgewater at #13 would be doing.

jrry32 said:
It's hedging your bets with a talented QB when you have a question mark at the position.
There are a lot of talented COLLEGE QB's each year. That's all Bridgewater is at this point. It isn't hedging a bet, it's rolling the dice. One, there's no way to tell what Bridgewater will be in the NFL and two, there's just as good a chance that Bradford remains healthy for the next few years. That's a big gamble on a #13 pick.

jrry32 said:
I don't care what is or isn't deemed to be a "luxury" pick. It's a "luxury" pick if Sam comes back strong, establishes himself as our franchise QB, and stays healthy. In that case...I think I'm okay with the outcome.

As far as the first two years being subpar years if Bridgewater sees the field, I think recent history debunks that argument.
Because a few QB's have enjoyed early success recently debunks the decades of other players that take time to adjust?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Lots of good points.
Bradford is better than any QB in this draft class. It wouldn't make much sense to replace him with a lesser player.
The only reason I can think of is the Rams feel they won't be able to resign him when his contract is up. Do the Rams want to go the franchise route?
It's not always a dollars and cents decision. Bradford has a say in where he wants to play at that point.
IF the Rams thought that then yes they might think now's the time when they have two high picks.
I still think it's a bad idea to draft a lesser player to replace a better player.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Funny it wouldn't remind you of the strike he threw to TA against Carolina. Or the strike he threw to Quick against Carolina. Or the many strikes he threw to Givens last year.

It's just the most recent clip I've seen. But you're right, I've become bias against Bradford based on a few bad games last season and then an inexplicable injury... as well as our consummate losing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. You generally have to draft in the first couple of rounds to have a decent roll of the dice. But I don't agree that you roll the dice when it isn't a need. The Rams aren't stuck with Steve Walsh and a 200 year old Mark Rypien. They have a guy they believe in who has gotten better each year he's been in the league. Generally under very poor circumstances. He doesn't have any chronic problems in any one area like say, Matt Leinart who kept popping his shoulder. When he's healthy he plays well. It's too soon to consider replacing him. Which is what drafting Bridgewater at #13 would be doing.

Drafting Bridgewater at #13 is not replacing Bradford any more than drafting Robinson/Matthews is replacing Long.

There are a lot of talented COLLEGE QB's each year. That's all Bridgewater is at this point. It isn't hedging a bet, it's rolling the dice. One, there's no way to tell what Bridgewater will be in the NFL and two, there's just as good a chance that Bradford remains healthy for the next few years. That's a big gamble on a #13 pick.

There's no way to tell what any player will be in the NFL for sure. Which is why you scout them and do your best to project it out.

Bridgewater is more than your typical talented college QB.

Because a few QB's have enjoyed early success recently debunks the decades of other players that take time to adjust?

Well, yes. Because the game changes and evolves over time. I'm not saying Bridgewater doesn't need time to adjust. But I am saying that the claim that we'll have two sub-par years if he plays is fallacious. You have nothing to base it on. If we could hover around .500 with Kellen Clemens then Bridgewater isn't going to significantly hold us back.

He's a pro ready kid that ran a pro style offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes the team stronger. When the coach says there's competition for all spots, he means it.
Who's top QB so far for next year? Mariota?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Bridgewater in the 2nd round? Great. But using the #13 pick on him probably destroys Snead/Fisher's credibility with all the Bradford is our QB mantra all off-season. You don't use the #13 pick in the draft on a QB if he isn't your future QB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Makes the team stronger. When the coach says there's competition for all spots, he means it.
Who's top QB so far for next year? Mariota?
Jameis Winston, although he will take a hit, Bryce Petty--great deep ball, good size, and Brett Hundley, still makes some mistakes reading the defense, but super weapons package. All pretty good prospects, there a few more that I can't think of right now.

I pretty much like all of these guys over the current group, especially if you project improvement that they should all make.

Last edited:

moklerman

Warner-phile
jrry32 said:
Drafting Bridgewater at #13 is not replacing Bradford any more than drafting Robinson/Matthews is replacing Long.
Perhaps, but you can't play Bridgewater at some other position in the meantime.

jrry32 said:
There's no way to tell what any player will be in the NFL for sure. Which is why you scout them and do your best to project it out.

Bridgewater is more than your typical talented college QB.
I'm just not as confident in that idea as you are. Perhaps if I was, my perception of this hypothetical approach would be different. Actually, no. I feel strongly that a team needs to commit to whatever QB they choose to commit to. I understand the argument for competition but I don't think the same rules apply to the QB position in the same way. Like I said earlier, I don't think a QB who is playing while looking over his shoulder is going to play his best. I know you and X don't agree but I've seen it happen too many times to think that it isn't an important factor. Ideally, I agree with you guys that a QB should be above it all and have nerves of steel but that is such a rare creature that the reality, IMO, is that threatening the stability of your starting QB usually just has negative results.

jrry32 said:
Well, yes. Because the game changes and evolves over time. I'm not saying Bridgewater doesn't need time to adjust. But I am saying that the claim that we'll have two sub-par years if he plays is fallacious. You have nothing to base it on. If we could hover around .500 with Kellen Clemens then Bridgewater isn't going to significantly hold us back.

He's a pro ready kid that ran a pro style offense.
Dammit, I hate when people use words I have to look up. Now I have homework. In any case, I think you're downplaying the situation. It wouldn't be a case of Bridgewater stepping in as the 2nd stringer and just maintaining game. The Rams would have to go through 2 QB's to get to him and it seems that coupled with the normal learning curve and often times 2nd year struggles, that it would be a couple of years of 6 win seasons.

I like the idea in theory, but the first time next year that we give up a 50+ yard TD because we didn't add a DB, or we give up a sack because we didn't go O line, or we drop our 50th pass of the season I won't look at the bench and think thank god we have Teddy.