Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, Can some one get me excited about Joe Barry?
He'll be under wade phillips. Position coaches are great but lets not forget we have a great coordinator running the show
I hope he still has the fire in his belly. 36 years coaching and his Saints D line didn't produce many sacks this year. Could be Fisher like and I worry he might be a coach that confuses routine as commitment. He shows up, does the exact same thing every day and feels he has worked hard. Nope. You have to be current and always looking for the next big thing in the game scheme or training wise that keeps your unit and team on top. Always looking, never satisfied.
We only had one more sack this year. I wouldn't worry. Wade knows what he's doing and I'm sure he talked with McVay

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
C1_9mojXUAEteR7.jpg

It's better than this...

rr4.jpg

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Anyone know it the Rams are keeping Bones as the special teams coach? I apologize if this was mentioned already, lot's of stuff was going on the past few days.
That would be a huge lose, if they didn't.
Can someone call Kevin to find out, lol

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone know it the Rams are keeping Bones as the special teams coach? I apologize if this was mentioned already, lot's of stuff was going on the past few days.
Yeah he'll be staying

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

Hell yea brotha!!!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That would be my guess.

A creative type to help build and develop the offense, watch a lot of film, help assemble game plans, and provide input on play calling likely from the skybox, etc.

I could see a young OC, but I was hoping to see him bring in an old head like Norv Turner to be the QB coach and assistant head coach or some other offensive title that would lure Turner.

He did a great job with Jim Everett back in the day, after he left Everett went to he'll. He developed Aikman and Aikman says he made his career possible.

Would be a great asset to Goff and McVay in terms of having some more experience to lean on. I realize they run different systems, but if he is just the QB coach mostly, that becomes his top priority.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay my assessment so far....The Wade Phillips hire is a great hire only downfall is Wade's age (70) and if he was built like Dick Vermeil or even Dick Lebeau I would have no fear, but Wade is not the picture of health so I hope he's indulging in one glass of red wine per night which seems to be the recipe for longevity if you are Calorically-challenged.

Defensive Line Coach Bill Johnson...Loved Mike Wauffle, however, Johnson is one of Wade's boys and does have history of success so maybe this will be an asset and seems to have a nice history of getting players to produce and God knows this might be the best cast Johnson has ever had.

Linebackers Coach Joe Barry...Don't like the hire at all for a couple of reasons, when he was in Detroit his defenses were rated 32nd both years and in Washington he was not much better. He has energy, but just was ineffective as a DC. Now he's been coaching linebackers for years and has had some decent results there, however, my fear is when Wade retires, McVay will just promote Barry so my hope is Wade has a good five years left and Joe Barry never becomes defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams.

Barry’s defenses have ranked 32nd, 32nd, 28th and 28th in yards allowed. The last two rankings are what he had to show for his time in Washington....He's no ordinary Joe, he's much worse than that.

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I won't miss wauffle. Seeing his coaching/yelling style was a put off. You're talking to millionaires in their mid and late 20 ' s who play at the professional level, not a bunch of 19 year Olds at boot camp. The word fuck loses its impact quickly when overused to that degree and wadding up paper to throw at a players face for the whole world to see? Pulease. Lombardi was tough but could you see him disrespecting a player like that? And for what gain? A good coach shows his toughness in other ways that also garner respect and when a player rspects AND Likes you, that's when you get the most out of them.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Head Coach Sean McVay

Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips

Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel

Asst. Head Coach Joe Barry

Linebackers Coach Joe Barry

Defensive Line Coach Bill Johnson

Offensive Coordinator

Quarterbacks Coach

Offensive Line Coach

Wide Receivers Coach

Tight Ends Coach

Running Backs Coach

Secondary Coach

Strength & Conditioning Coach

Sub-Level Assistants will be added to help the senior position coaches.

13696955_1622186031359288_1166995069_a.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What's the word on Bill Johnson (alpine skier?) & Joe Barry (Kobe's daddy?)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe we will see some more Coach hiring's after Todays games!?(y);):D

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
On OC - it's hard to expect a big name candidate simply because McVay has already said he will be calling plays and you have to imagine, designing many of them. What kind of qualified OC would want to go somewhere and not really coordinate? It's more likely that McVay puts an up and comer in as coordinator who gets groomed over time - someone he can bounce ideas off of and who can give input but doesn't feel like they need the control factor. Maybe a running game coordinator of sorts ....

I don't mind that at all. McVay didn't call plays his first yer as OC and look where he ended up.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Maybe I should apply for McVay executive assistant ? Or maybe that guy that holds the head phone cord as he paces the side lines .

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I pray this doesn't happen!! It would be a mistake with the Players we have on defense right now!! ( Hayes-Donald-Brockers-Quinn)

I think fears about a 3-4 switch are overrated. Just because we play in 3-4 doesn't mean Donald wont play 3 tech. For example Calais Campbell plays in a 3-4, but is essentially a 3 tech. Brockers will still be a shade nose, Quinn will have better matchup rushing from the open end. Its all about putting the players in teh best position to succeed and Phillips has shown he can do that wherever he coaches.