Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a hell of an OC/QB/OL coach set up though I don't know much about the other three other than Peete.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Wonder what happened with Wes Phillips ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That's a hell of an OC/QB/OL coach set up though I don't know much about the other three other than Peete.

And you sir had it right (all along) about LaFleur if it comes to fruition.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

Why does Falcons HC Dan Quinn have no problem losing his 2015 & 2016 QB coach Matt Lafleur? Obviously for what ever miscellaneous reasons, Quinn doesn't think Lafleur is qualified to be promoted as his new OC with Kyle leaving town.

Quinn seems to think Matt LaFleur and offensive assistants Mike McDaniel and Mike Lafleur (Matt's younger brother) are not worthy of keeping on his staff.

I would like to know more Intel of why Quinn is so free to let them all leave? Why would a HC let 4 pieces of his offensive staff leave so easily? Was it really all Kyle and these others coaches were just tiny spokes in the wheel with no promotional value or worthy of his blocking?

And as many have already speculated, why would Matt Lefleur want to join McVay over Shanahan unless Kyle has already told him he wouldn't be his first choice as OC in San Francisco?

Falcons to block most of staff from Shanahan; Chip Kelly a legit option
By Jeff Schultz January 31, 2017

It’s far more likely Quinn would allow offensive assistants Mike McDaniel and Mike Lafleur to go with Shanahan, and/or possibly quarterbacks coach Matt Lafleur, who also worked under Shanahan in Houston and Washington.

Matt Lafleur could be inclined to want to go because the Falcons are not likely to promote him — or anybody — from within the staff to replace Shanahan as the offensive play-caller.
http://jeffschultz.blog.myajc.com/2...taff-from-shanahan-chip-kelly-a-legit-option/
fe7365_c65cf3e20e5c429d95a39baf3449918e.jpg

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
There are almost always more to these things than meets the eye. It would be tuff to guess the reasoning without more info. In any case McVay's youth and lack of experience (relatively speeking) does not seem to have any sort of negative impact on attracting quality coach's

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
It would also speak volumes about the relationships McVay makes unless the Falcons would deny permission to the 49ers and grant it to the Rams, which usually only happens if a team is in your division.

They can't do that. If they sent access to a coach too one team, they have to deny access to that coach to all teams. If Atlanta wants to deny Lafleur from going to the Whiners, we aren't getting him either.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Is Lafleur under contract for next year or does it expire after the Super Bowl? It may just come down to this. They cannot block him if his contract is expired.

Thoughts?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They must not have officially blocked him.
If he's blocked from the 49ers he can't interview anywhere else.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to the rules, you can't ask permission to speak to an assistant who's team is still in the playoffs after the divisional round unless the team is eliminated.
So where Atlanta has claimed they wouldn't let Shanny take the assistants, there was no formal request, nor formal block thus meaning the Rams can request permission to speak with LaFluer tomorrow.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does Falcons HC Dan Quinn have no problem losing his 2015 & 2016 QB coach Matt Lafleur? Obviously for what ever miscellaneous reasons, Quinn doesn't think Lafleur is qualified to be promoted as his new OC with Kyle leaving town.

Quinn seems to think Matt LaFleur and offensive assistants Mike McDaniel and Mike Lafleur (Matt's younger brother) are not worthy of keeping on his staff.

I would like to know more Intel of why Quinn is so free to let them all leave? Why would a HC let 4 pieces of his offensive staff leave so easily? Was it really all Kyle and these others coaches were just tiny spokes in the wheel with no promotional value or worthy of his blocking?

And as many have already speculated, why would Matt Lefleur want to join McVay over Shanahan unless Kyle has already told him he wouldn't be his first choice as OC in San Francisco?

Falcons to block most of staff from Shanahan; Chip Kelly a legit option
By Jeff Schultz January 31, 2017

It’s far more likely Quinn would allow offensive assistants Mike McDaniel and Mike Lafleur to go with Shanahan, and/or possibly quarterbacks coach Matt Lafleur, who also worked under Shanahan in Houston and Washington.

Matt Lafleur could be inclined to want to go because the Falcons are not likely to promote him — or anybody — from within the staff to replace Shanahan as the offensive play-caller.
http://jeffschultz.blog.myajc.com/2...taff-from-shanahan-chip-kelly-a-legit-option/
fe7365_c65cf3e20e5c429d95a39baf3449918e.jpg

He might just not want to piss off guys by forcing them to be where they don't want to be. And maybe Lafleur thinks there's a better chance he'll get autonomy under McVay than Shanahan.

Plus, the Rams have Jared Goff. Keep that in mind. If Goff looks good next year, Lafleur will become a hot commodity around the league.

Decided to stay in Washington.

I don't think he got the choice since he was under contract.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They can't do that. If they sent access to a coach too one team, they have to deny access to that coach to all teams. If Atlanta wants to deny Lafleur from going to the Whiners, we aren't getting him either.
Okay was not sure about that thanks

Ram65

Legend
Perplexed by Ejiro Evaro being DB Coach, the Rams have hired Aubrey Pleasant & Samson Brown so unless Pleasant is going to have a more significant role (Assistant Defensive Coordinator/Secondary) I am unsure how this will play out. I do believe the Rams will have two DB Coaches (Safeties & Corners) but this will give them 3....Looking forward to doing a complete breakdown once McVay announces the complete staff which is scheduled for next week.

Ironically the Rams did have three defensive assistants overseeing the secondary under Fisher, Chuck Cecil was Senior Defensive Assistant, Dennard Wilson was Secondary Coach (Cornerbacks) & Brandon Fisher was Secondary Coach (Safeties) so it might be similar to this type of paradigm.

BTW the Title "Assistant Defensive Coordinator/Secondary" I just made up off the top of my head, not sure I have seen that title, but I am sure it exists.

I'm looking forward to your breakdown. Can't come soon enough, although I the Head Coach and staff search has been entertaining and could be very rewarding in the near future. Your input has been very valuable. (y)(y)