Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think you clean house, except bones. The team needs new voices and teaching styles. Plus they will need to prove themselves again to new coaches. Make them less comfortable with there place on the team.

You could be right, and I can see your point. But if there's any position group, from the players to the position coach that held up its end of the bargain unequivocally in the last 5 years, it's been the DL. So we as fans should all extend some gratitude to Mike Waufle even if he's moving on (or into retirement) for the outstanding job he's done here.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I'm really curious about the OL and QB coach. I'm really crossing my fingers for Kromer, Tice, or Callahan to be added to the staff

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I mean I liked Wauffle but we had 31 sacks last year. I know we lost Quinn but it was still disappointing.

Tough to get sacks when your DC blitzes so often and plays such soft coverage. Teams knew they HAD to get the ball out and they usually had an outlet.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Barry is an interesting one. McVay is familiar with him and he has been coaching linebackers for a long time. He was DC of the Skins for a year, but that defense was weak talent wise. He has some good linebackers on his resume though.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Wade Philips as DC
Billy Johnson as DL Coach
Joe Barry as Ast HC & LB Coach

Lets hope we land an OL & QB Coach tomorrow

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
From what I gather, Barry is a "hungry" and "energetic" coach with a lot of experience coaching linebackers.

That energy and hunger fits in line with the some of characteristics McVay brings to the table.

...just not sure about that assistant HC title. Kinda wish that title was reserved for someone like Callahan.

25Q86R

UDFA
As my mind jumps to all the worst conclusions possible, I hope that McVay doesn't think he's a one-man army on offense. I know he'll hire people, but I just hope that he cares about still prioritizing those offense hires as well as the clear emphasis that's been put on defense.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
I hope he still has the fire in his belly. 36 years coaching and his Saints D line didn't produce many sacks this year. Could be Fisher like and I worry he might be a coach that confuses routine as commitment. He shows up, does the exact same thing every day and feels he has worked hard. Nope. You have to be current and always looking for the next big thing in the game scheme or training wise that keeps your unit and team on top. Always looking, never satisfied.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Interesting, coached and played at USC. Doesn't have a stellar record during his two stints as a Defensive Coordinator, but he coordinated 4-3 and 3-4 defenses. Tons of experience as an LB coach. Would hate him as the DC, but solid experienced hire as an LB coach. Look out for for Packers OLB Nick Perry in FA who he coached at USC as the Rams transition to a 3-4.

Not excited about the D line or linebackers coach hires. That said, I assume Phillips signed off on both guys and knows if they are a good fit.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I can see why McVay hired him, same stand-up-straight-in-the-front hair( a blow dryer and the right hair gel is all that's needed...yes, I'm jealous).

in-this-handout-image-provided-by-the-nfl-bill-johnson-of-the-new-picture-id124179798
images.jpg
Too soon?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I gather, Barry is a "hungry" and "energetic" coach with a lot of experience coaching linebackers.

That energy and hunger fits in line with the some of characteristics McVay brings to the table.

...just not sure about that assistant HC title. Kinda wish that title was reserved for someone like Callahan.

Redskins aren't going to let us have Callahan.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Need to update that Joe Barry is the LB Coach....His title is Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers

Joe Barry has already landed a new job, and will be reuniting with with former Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay. Fox Sports reports that Barry will become the Los Angeles Rams LB coach and will also have an Assistant Head Coach title. Barry will be working under new Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips who was reportedly a candidate for the same job with the Redskins this year(and two years ago when Barry was hired over him.

Rams Hiring Former Redskins DC Joe Barry As Asst. HC/LBs Coach

C1_9mojXUAEteR7.jpg

http://nfltraderumors.co/rams-hiring-former-redskins-dc-joe-barry-asst-hclbs-coach/

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
On OC - it's hard to expect a big name candidate simply because McVay has already said he will be calling plays and you have to imagine, designing many of them. What kind of qualified OC would want to go somewhere and not really coordinate? It's more likely that McVay puts an up and comer in as coordinator who gets groomed over time - someone he can bounce ideas off of and who can give input but doesn't feel like they need the control factor. Maybe a running game coordinator of sorts ....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's more likely that McVay puts an up and comer in as coordinator who gets groomed over time - someone he can bounce ideas off of and who can give input but doesn't feel like they need the control factor. Maybe a running game coordinator of sorts

That would be my guess.

A creative type to help build and develop the offense, watch a lot of film, help assemble game plans, and provide input on play calling likely from the skybox, etc.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
On OC - it's hard to expect a big name candidate simply because McVay has already said he will be calling plays and you have to imagine, designing many of them. What kind of qualified OC would want to go somewhere and not really coordinate? It's more likely that McVay puts an up and comer in as coordinator who gets groomed over time - someone he can bounce ideas off of and who can give input but doesn't feel like they need the control factor. Maybe a running game coordinator of sorts ....
Rob Boras :rockon: