Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like him more as an OL coach. I think Wes Phillips is the pick at OC if the Skins let him leave, but it seems like teams aren't letting coaches move up these days, which IMO is ridiculous.

Aaron Kromer is one hell of an OL Coach, however, he threw Jay Cutler under the bus in Chicago and had that personal issue in Florida. Unless he's gone through some major counseling, I would go in another direction and again nobody wants to find a great OL Coach more than yours truly.

Charges against Bills assistant coach Aaron Kromer, son dropped

PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- The Florida state attorney's office Friday dropped its misdemeanor battery charge against Buffalo Bills offensive line coach Aaron Kromer.

In a statement, assistant Florida state attorney Bobby Elmore said that the charge was dropped at the request of the accusers' parents.

A misdemeanor battery charge against Zachery Kromer, Aaron Kromer's son, was also dropped Friday.

Both Aaron and Zachery Kromer had pleaded not guilty to the battery charges, stemming from a July 11 incident in which Aaron Kromer was alleged to have punched a boy in the face and threatened to kill his family in a dispute over beach chairs. Zachery Kromer was accused of placing his hands on another boy during the altercation.

"The parents of the the two alleged victims and the third minor witness stated that any injuries sustained by the alleged victims were minor and required no medical treatment, and that they desired the lives of their children not to be further disrupted, as an amicable resolution of the matter had been reached between all concerned," Elmore said in the statement.

The Bills are aware of the charges being dropped and could issue a statement later Friday.

Aaron Kromer remained on indefinite paid administrative leave from the Bills as they began training camp with a practice Friday morning. Assistant offensive line coach Kurt Anderson led the Bills' offensive line in drills and was assisted by former Chicago Bears offensive line coach Pat Meyer, who the Bills hired as a football operations consultant this summer.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13356229/charges-dropped-buffalo-bills-coach-aaron-kromer

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Kromer is one hell of an OL Coach, however, he threw Jay Cutler under the bus in Chicago and had that personal issue in Florida. Unless he's gone through some major counseling, I would go in another direction and again nobody wants to find a great OL Coach more than yours truly.
Word

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Both Philips as our coordinators? Don't know much about Wes but maybe that's what it took to get Wade to join up. Bringing his son over.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Both Philips as our coordinators? Don't know much about Wes but maybe that's what it took to get Wade to join up. Bringing his son over.

I believe McVay wants to combine the OL/OC position giving that coach the additional title to have him join the staff, however, at this point they will have to go after a coach who is available. Also if Wes Phillips does join the staff I believe he will be the QB Coach, IMHO.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Just a thought that popped into my head....
While I liked Wauffle and felt he did an excellent job, to me it seems like he might not be a fit for the culture McVay is trying to establish. In an upbeat/ energetic and positive environment, a coach that is a yeller/drill Sargeant may not be the best fit in the big picture.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
He'll be under wade phillips. Position coaches are great but lets not forget we have a great coordinator running the show

We only had one more sack this year. I wouldn't worry. Wade knows what he's doing and I'm sure he talked with McVay

That is what I'm hoping. In Wade we trust!

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
I won't miss wauffle. Seeing his coaching/yelling style was a put off. You're talking to millionaires in their mid and late 20 ' s who play at the professional level, not a bunch of 19 year Olds at boot camp. The word freak loses its impact quickly when overused to that degree and wadding up paper to throw at a players face for the whole world to see? Pulease. Lombardi was tough but could you see him disrespecting a player like that? And for what gain? A good coach shows his toughness in other ways that also garner respect and when a player rspects AND Likes you, that's when you get the most out of them.

Empty yelling and just noise when he didn't back it up by benching anyone. The clip that remains burned in my head is Wauffle yelling at them as Hayes is laying down eating chips. Hayes had no fear of Wauffle holding him accountable.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
He got results. That's all I care about.

how bad of a coach would you have to be NOT to get good results from donald, brockers and quinn? I would bet that mcvays style of coaching would see even better results.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I believe McVay wants to combine the OL/OC position giving that coach the additional title to have him join the staff, however, at this point they will have to go after a coach who is available. Also if Wes Phillips does join the staff I believe he will be the QB Coach, IMHO.

EXACTLY my prediction as well brotha!! Kromer as OC/OL and Wes Phillips as QB coach, where he'll learn under McVay's direct supervision in meeting rooms with Goff and eventually be promoted to OC down the road or with another team.

I wonder who will be our strength and conditioning coach? Aside from our oline coach vacancy, I think this is a very important and underrated hire. With Rock gone, we need someone who can keep our boys in shape and prepared for an entire grueling season, especially during our bowl run. That's one thing Fisher did well is keep our guys relatively healthy going into every season.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Just some speculation on my part here...but I wouldn't be surprised if Ike Hilliard is added to the staff as the teams WR Coach. Currently has the same position with the Redskins. Coach McVay coached him in Tampa, and coached with him in 2009 with the Florida Tuskers and from 2014-2016 with the Skins.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
how bad of a coach would you have to be NOT to get good results from donald, brockers and quinn? I would bet that mcvays style of coaching would see even better results.

It's easy to forget that Brockers and Quinn were raw talents and not very polished initially. They became what they are under Waufle. He's gotten production out of less heralded guys too. Hayes was nothing until he got here. Someone like Kendall Langford made a smooth transition to DT because of Waufle and was pretty damn good for us. We've hit on UDFAs like Westbrooks, Longacre, even Morgan Fox has looked fairly productive for us when he has played. Hell even Cam Thomas didn't look atrocious, which is a miracle for someone like him. Nick Fairley played the best ball of his career under Waufle. There's many examples.

Don't try to discredit him. He's a great DL coach.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I see the results but I still think any good, not great, coach could have taken quinns and brockers ability and made them what they are today. And hayes didn't have those other 3 next to him in Tennessee so I would expect him to produce more here. He gets results by what he teaches but I don't like the way he does it and I can't help thinking that if he smoothed that out, Ala tom coughlin, he'd see even better results.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I see the results but I still think any good, not great, coach could have taken quinns and brockers ability and made them what they are today. And hayes didn't have those other 3 next to him in Tennessee so I would expect him to produce more here. He gets results by what he teaches but I don't like the way he does it and I can't help thinking that if he smoothed that out, Ala tom coughlin, he'd see even better results.

I disagree, but that's okay. I think there are a lot of ways to motivate. Waufle has all of them. If you watch him, it's clear he's not just a screamer. He has the smooth calm moments where he's just showing them the right way to do things. He can raise his voice to get the point across, but that's not all he does.

I didn't realize there were people who thought Waufle wasn't an excellent coach. There's a reason why he's probably the most highly regarded DL coach in the game.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just some speculation on my part here...but I wouldn't be surprised if Ike Hilliard is added to the staff as the teams WR Coach. Currently has the same position with the Redskins. .

Again in order for this to happen the Redskins would have to grant the Rams permission and after the Rams hired their offensive coordinator and then swooped in to take their number one choice for defensive coordinator I don't see the Redskins letting the Rams have any other assistant under contract with maybe the exception of Wes Phillips because of the opportunity of coaching with his father and I'm not 100% sure about that either.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I didn't realize there were people who thought Waufle wasn't an excellent coach. There's a reason why he's probably the most highly regarded DL coach in the game.

He's a great defensive line coach and anyone who feels otherwise have not done their research. Now maybe the unit underachieved, but they were well coached, however, moving forward giving the unit a different voice who has had success as well is not necessarily a bad thing especially when he is on the same page as Wade Phillips.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I disagree, but that's okay. I think there are a lot of ways to motivate. Waufle has all of them. If you watch him, it's clear he's not just a screamer. He has the smooth calm moments where he's just showing them the right way to do things. He can raise his voice to get the point across, but that's not all he does.

maybe it was for the tv aspect but what I remember most about his hard knocks footage was the in your face routine. That kind of teaching tends to get people to tune you out or at least dread the interaction. Until hard knocks, I thought highly of his coaching but I cooled a bit after seeing his style because I feel as good as they are, they could be better with a coach who communicates better than what I saw on hard knocks, but again, I could see the producers with their typical tendency to only show the footage that contains the most conflict or highest emotionally charged exchanges.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait, people are judging Wauffle by how he "acted" on Hard Knocks? C'mon man. It was a tv show and these guys were all putting on a show. Dinosaurs, tshirts etc.
wauffle is a great dline coach and it would have been great had we kept him. But McVay/Phillips have their own agenda

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He's a great defensive line coach and anyone who feels otherwise have not done their research. Now maybe the unit underachieved, but they were well coached, however, moving forward giving the unit a different voice who has had success as well is not necessarily a bad thing especially when he is on the same page as Wade Phillips.

Yeah. Could be a good move. Just sucks to lose a great one, even if he might not fit as well. He just got hired by Buffalo, lucky them.

maybe it was for the tv aspect but what I remember most about his hard knocks footage was the in your face routine. That kind of teaching tends to get people to tune you out or at least dread the interaction. Until hard knocks, I thought highly of his coaching but I cooled a bit after seeing his style because I feel as good as they are, they could be better with a coach who communicates better than what I saw on hard knocks, but again, I could see the producers with their typical tendency to only show the footage that contains the most conflict or highest emotionally charged exchanges.

Keep in mind that's also edited for entertainment. There's lot of other things shown besides Hard Knocks that make it clear that's not him all the time. And some of the quotes our DL have said show that. He's like a father figure to them.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Yeah. Could be a good move. Just sucks to lose a great one, even if he might not fit as well. He just got hired by Buffalo, lucky them.

Keep in mind that's also edited for entertainment. There's lot of other things shown besides Hard Knocks that make it clear that's not him all the time. And some of the quotes our DL have said show that. He's like a father figure to them.

Over the years I've read some articles, seen some quotes and info from rams fans that gave me one impression but I never saw the up close work until hard knocks where it would seem that they did him a bit of a disservice, in my mind. I wonder where he'll go next.