Observations from Rams' sixth OTA/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Couldn't be more serious. I don't think there's any way Quick sees the field enough to reach 600 yards. Can he still be a productive player? Sure, it's possible. But he's going to have to surprise a lot of people to improve enough to earn the amount of targets that it's going to take to get him to 40 catches and 600 yards.
Wouldn't it be a major disappointment if the 33 overall pick doesn't see the field enough in year 3 to put up 40 catches and 600 yards?

Well if you were counting on anything from him his first year you are dreaming, you really didn't think he was going to produce right from the get did you? And last year when they threw the ball 15 times a game after Bradford went down???

C'mon man you might be expecting just a little too much

"We're going to lean on him, lean heavily on him. He's a high draft pick and we're going to need someone on the outside to make plays and I'm challenging him right now because we're going to need him to prepare himself over the next six weeks to be a standout on this team."

Steven Jackson June 13, 2012

Memphis Ram

Legend
But a lot of people would have been concerned about OL then. I know I would have if they didn't address LG as soon as possible. But then they face the hard choice of whether to do that at #13 and miss out on Donald... and probably the whole draft would have looked really different.

I'm still hoping Fisher is right and me and Wagoner and anyone else has to eat a lot of crow later. But I still don't think he's reporting out of sour grapes.

But would those same people express concerns about the team scoring points? I have my doubts.

Memphis Ram

Legend
"We're going to lean on him, lean heavily on him. He's a high draft pick and we're going to need someone on the outside to make plays and I'm challenging him right now because we're going to need him to prepare himself over the next six weeks to be a standout on this team."

Said a player who had no input on the selection and apparently wasn't on the same page with Snead/Fisher.

Said a player who had no input on the selection and apparently wasn't on the same page with Snead/Fisher.

A team mate was expecting him to be productive from day 1, to suggest that it was wrong for fans to also expect that is questionable.

Whether Fisher and Snead expected that is a different matter.

Memphis Ram

Legend
A team mate was expecting him to be productive from day 1, to suggest that it was wrong for fans to also expect that is questionable.

Whether Fisher and Snead expected that is a different matter.

Very questionable when the guys in charge believed differently and stated as much when the selection was made. And apparently Jackson, teammate or not, was out of the loop (though he may have been merely challenging the guy). No surprise there. From what I've read, many current players have little to no clue about the incoming talent.

If the guys making the decision expected an immediate impact and didn't get it that's one thing. That's bad.
But, if those same guys didn't expect an immediate impact, how can anyone expect differently?

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Quick being a projected starter as a rookie.

FRO

Legend
Here is Wagoner projecting him as a starter year one:

I swear that the Rams had Quick and Givens projected as starters as rookies. I could be wrong and I can't find an article to back it up.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It really doesn't matter because no receiver is going to emerge as a number one this year.

Our wide receivers all have roles to play, and they drafted for that, even when you consider actual first round pick Tavon Austin.

2015 is when a number one emerges I think.

Very questionable when the guys in charge believed differently and stated as much when the selection was made. And apparently Jackson, teammate or not, was out of the loop (though he may have been merely challenging the guy). No surprise there. From what I've read, many current players have little to no clue about the incoming talent.

If the guys making the decision expected an immediate impact and didn't get it that's one thing. That's bad.
But, if those same guys didn't expect an immediate impact, how can anyone expect differently?

Have you got a link to those comments?* Was just watching Snead say "I was thinking Vincent Jackson all along" at the end of season one but would love to read some direct quotes from prior to his first season.

* That's not meant to come across a snarky.

tonyl711

Starter
That might be your reality but not everyone.

I feel like he is exactly what he should be based on where he came from and the work he has done. First year he was hardly on the field and deservedly so, he had a HUGE learning curve and had a couple of plays like the TD against the niners where he showed so promise.

Last year he had a couple of bad plays like the non adjustment on a hot read where Bradford hit him in the back of the head (something detractors will never let him live down even though he's not the only guy to miss that read) but he also had some decent plays and good progress along with TWO drops. And played with Kellen Clemens at QB for 9 games.

Quick is right where he should be working hard trying to get better and learning the ropes on a team that will not have a "True #1 WR". He will be a part of this team who will get about 4 targets a game. He is not going to be a guy who catches 70+ balls a year on this team. And neither is Austin or anyone else.
I don't think he is anywhere near what he should be, not at the spot he was drafted at, a second round pick should be more productive IMO, I think he should have been drafted 4th round or later, then he wouldn't have been expected to come in and contribute as much. did Fisher overvalue him? yes IMO, and he admitted such when he said he was a project.
Bailey played with Clemons too was a rookie and had better numbers than Quick,
I honestly hope he reaches his potential, but you have to put a time limit on it, and IMO he is at his limit.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Snisher said all along that Quick was going to be a project. Why he was drafted as such at #33 is still a mystery to me, but I don't fault BQ for it. I am on record as saying he goes off this season. I have seen enough to know he can produce as a starter in this league. I expect him to prove it this year. Right. On. Schedule.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Quick being a projected starter as a rookie.

Projected by whom? I'm pretty sure he wasn't projected as a starter by the Staff. Clearly this was a reach pick, they've had a plan all along and this should be the year we find out.

Edit - eh, I see this has already been addressed:coffee:

Last edited:

lockdnram21

Legend
as a rookie they said they were bringing him along slow. that was a red shirt year in my eyes. snead words were something like we have this double a kid thats rawer then most. were going to take him slow and see if we can get him where we need him to be. something like that.

lockdnram21

Legend
Have you got a link to those comments?* Was just watching Snead say "I was thinking Vincent Jackson all along" at the end of season one but would love to read some direct quotes from prior to his first season.

* That's not meant to come across a snarky.

go on youube theres a interview with snead and farr and he tells far what he seen in quick

go on youube theres a interview with snead and farr and he tells far what he seen in quick

That's the one I referenced in the original post, it came after his rookie season, a quote where he said he expects his first two seasons to be in line with the two we've just seen prior to his rookie season would carry a hell of a lot of weight.

It's also noteworthy that in that video he says "From the end of this season to next" implying a big improvement was in the offing for his second year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

And in June of 2012 they had been in OTAs and Quick had shown some flashes like we have seen and who else did they have? SJ was at the end of his time and he knew it but for a div 2 guy who really thought Quick was going to be that guy? No one

And in June of 2012 they had been in OTAs and Quick had shown some flashes like we have seen and who else did they have? SJ was at the end of his time and he knew it but for a div 2 guy who really thought Quick was going to be that guy? No one

Exactly, who else did they have? That's why I don't buy the 3 year project story line. If we had Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald or someone else who's very good but in the twilight of their careers who you could afford to bring a Quick along slowly then it makes sense. Instead we have a QB who's best WR was Danny Amendola and who believes that throwing a contested pass is one of the worst things you can do because 90% of the time you'll lose out.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't think he is anywhere near what he should be, not at the spot he was drafted at, a second round pick should be more productive IMO, I think he should have been drafted 4th round or later, then he wouldn't have been expected to come in and contribute as much. did Fisher overvalue him? yes IMO, and he admitted such when he said he was a project.
Bailey played with Clemons too was a rookie and had better numbers than Quick,
I honestly hope he reaches his potential, but you have to put a time limit on it, and IMO he is at his limit.
At a spot where they drafted him OK I guess for those who feel that is a starting point to judge a guy I will concede that he was the 1st pick of the second round. Do you have a list or would you like to research how many WRs that came from div 2 and were taken that high and played 9 games with their second round QB were highly productive in their second year?

I'm going to go out on a limb as say that Quick is the only one ever in that situation so he is the baseline.

And for what it is worth I felt like it was a stretch going for him at 33 so I don't buy in to that he was the number X pick he should be doing more line.

How many times was quick open in the deep dig and Clemens never threw the ball? Most of what Bailey got was short or intermediate passes and do you consider playing at West Virginia on the same level as playing at Appalachian State? Bailey is obviously more polished coming out than Quick was, but apparently no more mature based on his upcoming suspension.

As for a time limit on Quick I will go with it will be the length of his rookie contract