Observations from Rams' sixth OTA/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Would we really? He was the 33rd pick in the draft and not to break the 40 catch mark in 3 years in the league would be a major disappointment.

not really as long as hes consistent and makes plays when hes called on .

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OTA Day Six Recap
By Jonathan Webb

LINK

Don’t tell Alec Ogletree about the notion of a sophomore slump. The second-year linebacker won’t have any of it, and the very mention of backing off his rookie season pace is simply dismissed out of hand.

“I really don’t think about it that much,” Ogletree said. “(Linebackers) Coach (Frank) Bush already said, ‘We don’t need you having any sophomore slump.’ I’m not even thinking of it that way, but I definitely want to have a better year than I had last year.”

Ogletree has certainly set the bar high for himself. Following a rookie season that saw him break teammate James Laurinaitis’ team rookie record by piling up 155 tackles, Ogletree sees no reason why he won’t be able to keep the momentum going.

“I definitely raised the expectations for myself, just as far as trying to be better than I was last year,” Ogletree said. “Going into this year, I feel a lot more comfortable with the scheme that we’re using, and just going out there and flying around and making plays. I’m looking forward to playing fast and making plays.”

Ogletree has reaped the benefits of an offseason for the first time since his second year of college, as last year’s pre-draft preparations tended to wear on the then-21-year-old linebacker. His production saw a spike in the season’s second half, tallying at least 10 tackles per game over the final six weeks, likely a direct indicator of his improved familiarity with the Rams’ defensive personnel and system.

In light of last year’s adjustment from the college game to the NFL, this year’s set of adjustments appear comparatively simple, and largely beneficial. Working in Ogletree’s favor has been the adjustment to a more aggressive defensive scheme, led by coordinator Gregg Williams. The change in scheme better place Ogletree in position to harness the pass-rushing nature that saw him accumulate six sacks over his final two college seasons, as well as creating additional mismatches for DE Robert Quinn, who lined up on the same side as Ogletree for much of last season. Ogletree looks forward to the change in philosophy.

“I think he’ll bring a more aggressive style, and that will not only benefit me, but the whole team,” Ogletree said. “When we can put pressure on the quarterback from all different angles, that’s where we want to be.”

News and Notes

-All 11 of the Rams’ draftees signed their rookie contracts on Thursday afternoon. Terms of the deals were not disclosed. Head Coach Jeff Fisher indicated the signings would likely be handled in short order while speaking to the media following Tuesday’s practice.

“With the new rookie cap and everything it’s really not difficult to get the deals done,” Fisher said. “So we just felt like this time would be better served, putting them in the situations from an educational standpoint, financial planning and those kinds of things. We’ve done a lot of that. We’ve got another meeting or two left to go and then I would think we’d get these things done here pretty quickly.”

-QB Sam Bradford returned to action on Thursday, participating for a large portion of individual and 7-on-7 passing drills.

FRO

Legend
Baby steps... baby steps... pretty much have to write off the first two years... as sad as that is to digest.

How patient should we be? He is a free agent after the 2015 season.

RustyRay

Rookie
Quicks inconsistency is going to land him behind Britt, Austin, Pettis, Givens, and Bailey. Guy may be our healthy scratch. Discouraging to hear he is still inconsistent.

I just find it a bit funny how he is always mentioned for dropping passes, like he is the only wr all practice to drop a ball..

It's strange and we know for a fact that can't be true...it's almost like searching for some tidbit to pile on Quick...

I know it's not the same thing or level...I watched a high school practice yesterday with the top rated in state qb throwing the ball and some pretty solid skill kids....and they dropped 1 of every 3 or 4 passes in drills.

Would we really? He was the 33rd pick in the draft and not to break the 40 catch mark in 3 years in the league would be a major disappointment.

The yards I could live with, the TDs is disappointing, my ideal is for Austin/Bailey/Cook/Harkey as your starters, Kendricks can play in either the Cook or Harkey roll so should get plenty of playing time. With neither Austin or Bailey being the biggest I think Quick has a role as a red zone target, but if he's only getting 4 TDs then that's poor. Of cause if he's as good as last year but with more targets then...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Quicks inconsistency is going to land him behind Britt, Austin, Pettis, Givens, and Bailey. Guy may be our healthy scratch. Discouraging to hear he is still inconsistent.

So you focus on the comment about the drop, but seem to TOTALLY disregard the comment about the "bounced back with a couple of CONTESTED CATCHES AFTER."

We get that you don't think much of him. But at least be fair in your commentary.

lockdnram21

Legend
So you focus on the comment about the drop, but seem to TOTALLY disregard the comment about the "bounced back with a couple of CONTESTED CATCHES AFTER."

We get that you don't think much of him. But at least be fair in your commentary.

coach did you get invited to any of the remaining OTA?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Being inconsistent is the epitome of what Quick has been for us. A flash play here or there, then relegated to mental mistakes and just flat disappears on us. I think the inconsistency in OTAs isn't a good thing because it's just a continuation of his previous 2 years. This guy was billed as the next TO when drafted. He was billed as Vincent Jackson. He has to step up at some point. He needs to bring it, even in OTAs.
You are putting way too much into this OTA report from a guy that has seen him for what 2 1hour sessions?? He was said to have that VJ potential and he does have the body and has shown the flash as you said. He is in the 3 year of his rookie contract, a guy who came from div 2. He did not get to play the whole year with Bradford last year. He is progressing if you listen to his coaches and team mates. THOSE are the opinions I care about, those are the guys who know what is going on. If he was a bust who did not work hard we would already know about it. Most guys from div 1 don't progress any better, you are being to critical and basing it on very little.

FRO

Legend

I didn't focus on the drop. I focused on Wagoner's description of Quick being inconsistent. His words not mine. I'm not at OTAs so I don't know if that's accurate or not. I just really want Quick to step up. We need him to. He was billed as a potential top end starting WR, right now he is in a fight to even get on the field.

FRO

Legend
You are putting way too much into this OTA report from a guy that has seen him for what 2 1hour sessions?? He was said to have that VJ potential and he does have the body and has shown the flash as you said. He is in the 3 year of his rookie contract, a guy who came from div 2. He did not get to play the whole year with Bradford last year. He is progressing if you listen to his coaches and team mates. THOSE are the opinions I care about, those are the guys who know what is going on. If he was a bust who did not work hard we would already know about it. Most guys from div 1 don't progress any better, you are being to critical and basing it on very little.
I'm basing it off of 2 years and from Wagoner it doesn't sound like much has changed. Sorry to say that. He was picked at 33 and a 33rd overall pick should be contributing in his 3rd year no matter what school he is from. Sorry to sound harsh on the guy, but it's reality. He needs to play better consistently and produce. Anybody here satisfied with what we got out of him?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm basing it off of 2 years and from Wagoner it doesn't sound like much has changed. Sorry to say that. He was picked at 33 and a 33rd overall pick should be contributing in his 3rd year no matter what school he is from. Sorry to sound harsh on the guy, but it's reality. He needs to play better consistently and produce. Anybody here satisfied with what we got out of him?
I don't think anyone is satisfied with what we've seen so far, but most don't want to give up on him just yet, and I think that's where the coaches are too.

After this year, *IF* he doesn't produce, it will possibly be a very different story.

FRO

Legend
I don't think anyone is satisfied with what we've seen so far, but most don't want to give up on him just yet, and I think that's where the coaches are too.

After this year, *IF* he doesn't produce, it will possibly be a very different story.
I don't want to give up on him either, but he has to step up this year. I don't like hearing that he is still inconsistent in practice. We need this guy to step it up.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't want to give up on him either, but he has to step up this year. I don't like hearing that he is still inconsistent in practice. We need this guy to step it up.

it seems to me that you and some other posters gave up on him long time ago.

FRO

Legend
it seems to me that you and some other posters gave up on him long time ago.
I haven't completely given up, I'm just highly skeptical a guy that has done very little in his first two years is all the sudden going to turn it on and be the player he was sold as when he was drafted. You will be hard pressed to find examples of guys that have done that.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
One can *question* if the guys we have are going to be *the* guys long term. There's nothing wrong with a fan doing that.

IMO, the line is only crossed when someone starts *hoping* a Ram will fail so they can come say how "right" they were. Because hoping *a* Ram fails is hoping *the* Rams fail.

FRO

Legend
One can *question* if the guys we have are going to be *the* guys long term. There's nothing wrong with a fan doing that.

IMO, the line is only crossed when someone starts *hoping* a Ram will fail so they can come say how "right" they were. Because hoping *a* Ram fails is hoping *the* Rams fail.
Yeah I don't fall in that category. I'm hoping I'm dead wrong on he and Pead. Nothing would make me happier.

tonyl711

Starter
Yeah I don't fall in that category. I'm hoping I'm dead wrong on he and Pead. Nothing would make me happier.
the truth is Quick has been a disappointment so far, and inconsistency has been a major problem for him, and until he takes that next step forward and becomes more consistent it is not out of line to say he is and needs to correct that.
its a lot like Pead, they were both drafted in the second round and neither are performing up to expectations, when you are drafted that high and aren't producing you will hear about it.
IMO I hope both turn it around and become what the coaches thought they could be, but this is the Not For Long league and if you aren't producing by year three you are probably gone.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't focus on the drop. I focused on Wagoner's description of Quick being inconsistent. His words not mine. I'm not at OTAs so I don't know if that's accurate or not. I just really want Quick to step up. We need him to. He was billed as a potential top end starting WR, right now he is in a fight to even get on the field.

wagoner is still butthurt that the rams didn't take watkins. i'll wait till we get reports from people who don't have an axe to grind with the current crop of wrs.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
wagoner is still butthurt that the rams didn't take watkins. i'll wait till we get reports from people who don't have an axe to grind with the current crop of wrs.

I don't think that's even remotely true.

FRO

Legend

I don't see Wagoner as that type of guy. I hope Quick does great, but his time is now.