Observations from Rams' sixth OTA/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Observations from Rams' sixth OTA

By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9214/observations-from-rams-sixth-ota

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams got back to work Thursday with their fourth organized team activity open to the media.

As always, it should be noted that much of what happens in these organized team activities should be taken with a grain of salt (especially for the linemen). The players are not in pads and contact must be extremely limited. It's best not to get too excited or too down on anything that happens.

Williams fired up: New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams isn't hard to find on the practice field. If you can't see him, take a moment and listen and you'll be able to spot him soon after. Williams regularly yells "Come onnnnnn" at the snap to get his defenders going and then offers an array of "encouragement" throughout the practice.

At one point during Thursday's practice after the offense hit a nice completion, Williams yelled "If you're afraid to compete, go home." That's one of the more print-friendly comments he offered but you get the idea.

So far, it seems the players are embracing Williams, too. Rookie defensive back Lamarcus Joyner offered praise for his new coordinator after the workout and he's not alone in that praise, either.

Speaking of Joyner: Rams coach Jeff Fisher has repeatedly indicated that Joyner's primary function would be as a slot corner this year. While Joyner is getting plenty of work there, he's also taking reps at safety. Of course, the Rams are a little thin on numbers at safety for the time being so it's possible those reps will evaporate when some of the walking wounded return.

Receiver tally: There were some highlight-reel moments for the receivers during Thursday's practice. During a 7-on-7 period, Tavon Austin ran a seam route from the slot that turned the corner outside and then came in front of safety Cody Davis for a leaping 17-yard touchdown catch. Later on, Emory Blake made a diving catch on a slant route that drew some loud cheers from his fellow wideouts. Brian Quick had a drop early in practice during 1-on-1s but bounced back with a couple of contested catches after. Consistency is still the word of the day for him.

He's not a receiver but undrafted rookie tight end Alex Bayer had a good day catching the ball. And Kenny Britt continues to make plays, even getting it done after getting his left leg wrapped during practice.

Sitting it out: Tight end Jared Cook returned to practice Thursday but the rest of the names not practicing matched up with Tuesday's group. WR Jamaine Sherman, S Christian Bryant, S Maurice Alexander, RB Chase Reynolds, S Matt Daniels, DE Sammy Brown, LT Jake Long, DT Michael Brockers and DE William Hayes did not practice.

Brockers was also missing Tuesday and he watched Thursday's practice with his right ankle wrapped.

Bradford's day: Thursday was one of quarterback Sam Bradford's designated practice days and he did a similar amount of work to what he did in front of the media last week. Bradford participated in a pair of 7-on-7 sessions and again did work in the hurry-up team drills. He had some good moments, including the aforementioned touchdown to Austin and another scoring pass to wideout Austin Pettis. He also threw an interception to cornerback Janoris Jenkins during the 11-on-11 drills as pressure surrounded him.

Sam makes a play: As practice came to a close, defensive end Michael Sam made a nice play for the second-team defense. He read a pass, jumped to the outside and knocked it down, narrowly missing an interception. He continues to get reps with the second-team defense as Hayes sits out.

Up next: The Rams have now completed six OTAs with four remaining. All four of those will come next week with two more sessions open to the media on Tuesday and Thursday. There is no mandatory minicamp to complete the offseason.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Good to see Joyner getting some work at saftey. Im hoping when there just playing base defense with 2 corners and 2 safteys Joyner will be one of them and then slide into the slot in nickle and dime packages.

FRO

Legend
Quicks inconsistency is going to land him behind Britt, Austin, Pettis, Givens, and Bailey. Guy may be our healthy scratch. Discouraging to hear he is still inconsistent.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Good to see Joyner getting some work at saftey. Im hoping when there just playing base defense with 2 corners and 2 safteys Joyner will be one of them and then slide into the slot in nickle and dime packages.
That's what i would think the plan would be, I'm still hoping Greg Reid, EJ Gaines or 2nd year Brandon McGee steps up at nickel corner and we can have Joyner man the FS spot.

lockdnram21

Legend
Quicks inconsistency is going to land him behind Britt, Austin, Pettis, Givens, and Bailey. Guy may be our healthy scratch. Discouraging to hear he is still inconsistent.

yea it is . But the good thing is we still got close to 3 months before season starts so theres time for it to change. Also to be fair theres going to be drops you just have to limit them.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
What's up with Reid? He's not listed on the injured list but no updates on his progress.

As much as I like Daniels, if he can't get healthy you have to think his days are numbered.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
One drop in OTAs in June falls under the take it with a grain of salt mentioned in the beginning of the article not something that should be the focus of everything mentioned here.

FRO

Legend
One drop in OTAs in June falls under the take it with a grain of salt mentioned in the beginning of the article not something that should be the focus of everything mentioned here.
Wagoner was the one who said he has been inconsistent, which leads me to believe it's been more than one drop. If his third year is like his first too then we have to move on.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Brockers right ankle was the one that had the H.A.S.

lockdnram21

Legend
Wagoner was the one who said he has been inconsistent, which leads me to believe it's been more than one drop. If his third year is like his first too then we have to move on.

Just curious what kind of year do you think he should have?

lockdnram21

Legend
Quick?

40+ catches 600+ yards 5+ TDs

I think that is a conservative baseline for him.

with how little we are going to be passing im thinking
35+ catches 550+yards 4+ tds

i just expect Austin, Cook, Britt to get majority of targets. The thing i think with Quick is they will want to make sure that when hes in the game hes effective. If he does that. That will set him upto have a bigger year in year 4

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
A drop in OTAs doesn't bother me, but surely Quick should be up to speed by now, if he's not going to make the grade of where we need him to be, isn't easier (and financially healthier) to cut him?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know its the offseason and we all want to hear glowing reviews but a guy seeing a couple of balls on the ground in OTAs and saying he has been in consistent in June. YAWN Wake me up in August o_O

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
with how little we are going to be passing im thinking
35+ catches 550+yards 4+ tds

I think most Rams fans would be very impressed with these numbers. It would show he was improving nicely... hope for next year.

FRO

Legend
I know its the offseason and we all want to hear glowing reviews but a guy seeing a couple of balls on the ground in OTAs and saying he has been in consistent in June. YAWN Wake me up in August o_O
Being inconsistent is the epitome of what Quick has been for us. A flash play here or there, then relegated to mental mistakes and just flat disappears on us. I think the inconsistency in OTAs isn't a good thing because it's just a continuation of his previous 2 years. This guy was billed as the next TO when drafted. He was billed as Vincent Jackson. He has to step up at some point. He needs to bring it, even in OTAs.

FRO

Legend
I think most Rams fans would be very impressed with these numbers. It would show he was improving nicely... hope for next year.
Would we really? He was the 33rd pick in the draft and not to break the 40 catch mark in 3 years in the league would be a major disappointment.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would we really? He was the 33rd pick in the draft and not to break the 40 catch mark in 3 years in the league would be a major disappointment.

Baby steps... baby steps... pretty much have to write off the first two years... as sad as that is to digest.