Observations from Rams' sixth OTA/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I haven't completely given up, I'm just highly skeptical a guy that has done very little in his first two years is all the sudden going to turn it on and be the player he was sold as when he was drafted. You will be hard pressed to find examples of guys that have done that.

I'm not sure about the selling part, because I heard project when he was drafted. But, I'd guess that Vincent Jackson and Golden Taint might qualify. And I have noticed that guys like Riley Cooper, Donald Driver, & Miles Austin didn't do much until their 4th seasons.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think that's even remotely true.

it's more truth than false. he was pounding the wrs all the way up to the draft. that's gotta lead to some inbuilt resentment on his part.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
it's more truth than false. he was pounding the wrs all the way up to the draft. that's gotta lead to some in built resentment on his part.

People have opinions which way the team should go. And all people have times where the powers-that-be disagree with them on a decision. Wagoner's not a fan one would presume because he's a journalist, but I don't think being disagreed with turned him against the team. That's silly.

Had the Rams drafted Watkins instead, would you assert that anyone questioned the Rams' offensive line was similarly biased? Equally silly.

I'm really not sure why people are still trying to drive the Robinson vs. Watkins wedge from both sides. Robinson is a Ram, Watkins likely never will be, but while we're entitled to our opinions on whether it was the right move, we all hope for the best for Robinson. Because we're Rams fans, and not drafting Guy X will never be enough to change that.

Wagoner's a guy who's built a lot of credibility up. Now if it was Bernie, he has an established track record of turning on the Rams if they disagree with him on where the team should eat lunch, so I'd be much more inclined to believe that.

FRO

Legend
I'm not sure about the selling part, because I heard project when he was drafted. But, I'd guess that Vincent Jackson and Golden Taint might qualify. And I have noticed that guys like Riley Cooper, Donald Driver, & Miles Austin didn't do much until their 4th seasons.
I guess Taint fits, however he showed more and is almost the same age as Quick, meaning he came into the league younger. However he does fit the criteria. The other guys were late picks or UDFAs. It's rare for a guy to just turn it on. I hope Quick is a guy that can, I'm just not holding my breath.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I guess Taint fits, however he showed more and is almost the same age as Quick, meaning he came into the league younger. However he does fit the criteria. The other guys were late picks or UDFAs. It's rare for a guy to just turn it on. I hope Quick is a guy that can, I'm just not holding my breath.
If nothing else, at this point, there's no upgrades for Quick available. So why not hope for the best? It seems the best option to me.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People have opinions which way the team should go. And all people have times where the powers-that-be disagree with them on a decision. Wagoner's not a fan one would presume because he's a journalist, but I don't think being disagreed with turned him against the team. That's silly.

Had the Rams drafted Watkins instead, would you assert that anyone questioned the Rams' offensive line was similarly biased? Equally silly.

I'm really not sure why people are still trying to drive the Robinson vs. Watkins wedge from both sides. Robinson is a Ram, Watkins likely never will be, but while we're entitled to our opinions on whether it was the right move, we all hope for the best for Robinson. Because we're Rams fans, and not drafting Guy X will never be enough to change that.

Wagoner's a guy who's built a lot of credibility up. Now if it was Bernie, he has an established track record of turning on the Rams if they disagree with him on where the team should eat lunch, so I'd be much more inclined to believe that.

i'm not sure why you went on the robinson tangent, i never mentioned him. all i know is wagoner doesn't like the current stable of wrs, he's made that very clear for the last 4 months. even after the draft, just a week or two ago, when espn was asking questions about the nfc west wagoner stated he doesn't know how the rams will score points. i'm starting to turn off when he reports now.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
i'm not sure why you went on the robinson tangent, i never mentioned him. all i know is wagoner doesn't like the current stable of wrs, he's made that very clear for the last 4 months. even after the draft, just a week or two ago, when espn was asking questions about the nfc west wagoner stated he doesn't know how the rams will score points. i'm starting to turn off when he reports now.

It really isn't a tangent. Robinson is the guy they drafted when some wanted them to draft Watkins instead. Watkins (and Evans) were gone by the next pick. So obviously if someone wanted to draft Watkins, they wouldn't have drafted Robinson.

A lot of people have questions about the Rams' WR unit. I am one of them (even though I do like what I'm hearing and seeing about Britt). I just see it as a big leap from Wagoner reporting that Quick isn't doing so well so far (and it's WAY early) to him just reporting falsehood out of sour grapes that the Rams didn't agree with him.

Bernie, sure. I'd buy that in a second. But if we did a thread rating the journalists covering the Rams, Wagoner would either be at the top, or second to Sando IMO. Although THAT opens up another whole can of worms.

But, by the same logic, you have the right to think what you want about Wagoner. ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend

Yeah. If the Rams selected Watkins like Wagoner wanted, I have huge doubts that he'd have the same concerns about the team scoring points.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Yeah. If the Rams selected Watkins like Wagoner wanted, I have huge doubts that he'd have the same concerns about the team scoring points.
But a lot of people would have been concerned about OL then. I know I would have if they didn't address LG as soon as possible. But then they face the hard choice of whether to do that at #13 and miss out on Donald... and probably the whole draft would have looked really different.

I'm still hoping Fisher is right and me and Wagoner and anyone else has to eat a lot of crow later. But I still don't think he's reporting out of sour grapes.

FRO

Legend
Had we picked Watkins, which I was for over Robinson, and not addressed LG I would be highly disappointed. I wouldn't have been cool with plugging Joseph at LG and calling it a day. I feel Britt is the WR equivalent of Joseph at LG. I still see WR as a weak spot on this team with a caveat being we have guys that could potential step up at the position as we would at LG.

lockdnram21

Legend
Had we picked Watkins, which I was for over Robinson, and not addressed LG I would be highly disappointed. I wouldn't have been cool with plugging Joseph at LG and calling it a day. I feel Britt is the WR equivalent of Joseph at LG. I still see WR as a weak spot on this team with a caveat being we have guys that could potential step up at the position as we would at LG.

the reason im so optimistic is because i re watched the second half of the season. we were able to pass theball way better with a running game. Receivers were getting open. once they started shutting the running game recivers were still getting open. The line didnt give Clemens time. So i see where fisher was going with upgradeing the line. between the o line and Clemens that was our biggest problem. So i dont feel this offense will have any problems

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm basing it off of 2 years and from Wagoner it doesn't sound like much has changed. Sorry to say that. He was picked at 33 and a 33rd overall pick should be contributing in his 3rd year no matter what school he is from. Sorry to sound harsh on the guy, but it's reality. He needs to play better consistently and produce. Anybody here satisfied with what we got out of him?
Well if you were counting on anything from him his first year you are dreaming, you really didn't think he was going to produce right from the get did you? And last year when they threw the ball 15 times a game after Bradford went down???

C'mon man you might be expecting just a little too much

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
the truth is Quick has been a disappointment so far, and inconsistency has been a major problem for him, and until he takes that next step forward and becomes more consistent it is not out of line to say he is and needs to correct that.
its a lot like Pead, they were both drafted in the second round and neither are performing up to expectations, when you are drafted that high and aren't producing you will hear about it.
IMO I hope both turn it around and become what the coaches thought they could be, but this is the Not For Long league and if you aren't producing by year three you are probably gone.
That might be your reality but not everyone.

I feel like he is exactly what he should be based on where he came from and the work he has done. First year he was hardly on the field and deservedly so, he had a HUGE learning curve and had a couple of plays like the TD against the niners where he showed so promise.

Last year he had a couple of bad plays like the non adjustment on a hot read where Bradford hit him in the back of the head (something detractors will never let him live down even though he's not the only guy to miss that read) but he also had some decent plays and good progress along with TWO drops. And played with Kellen Clemens at QB for 9 games.

Quick is right where he should be working hard trying to get better and learning the ropes on a team that will not have a "True #1 WR". He will be a part of this team who will get about 4 targets a game. He is not going to be a guy who catches 70+ balls a year on this team. And neither is Austin or anyone else.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just see it as a big leap from Wagoner reporting that Quick isn't doing so well so far (and it's WAY early) to him just reporting falsehood out of sour grapes that the Rams didn't agree with him.

Maybe so but have you seen him say that anyone else had (1) drop in one of the OTAs? I'm pretty sure there was even more than one on the day he reported it. Just seems kind of bush league to me to even mention it.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I hope I'm wrong but to me that's beyond Quick's ceiling this year.

Not trying to argue but are you serious? If Quick doesn't make a big leap THIS year, I think we should part ways with him. He's shown fairly close to nothing both in practice and in games. Giving him a 4th year to see if he can play like pick #33 is not acceptable.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not trying to argue but are you serious? If Quick doesn't make a big leap THIS year, I think we should part ways with him. He's shown fairly close to nothing both in practice and in games. Giving him a 4th year to see if he can play like pick #33 is not acceptable.
How many passes per game do you think the Rams will throw in 2014 and how many of them do you think will be to Quick? Does a player have anything to do with where he is picked?

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
How many passes per game do you think the Rams will throw in 2014 and how many of them do you think will be to Quick? Does a player have anything to do with where he is picked?

In the spirit of respectable trading of opinions I'll answer the first part of that question. If a good number of passes we DO have per game this season aren't thrown Quick's way ... I'll ask you ... WHY aren't they? Your answer is my answer.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
In the spirit of respectable trading of opinions I'll answer the first part of that question. If a good number of passes we DO have per game this season aren't thrown Quick's way ... I'll ask you ... WHY aren't they? Your answer is my answer.
LOL you didn't answer either so I will tell you what I think.

The Rams will throw about 25 times a game and they will not have a number 1 target they will spread the ball around and change it up each week according to match ups. They will throw about 60% of those to the WRs 30% to the TEs and 10% to the RBs.

Let's say the throw an average of 15 throws to the WRs Austin, Givens, Quick, Britt, Bailey and possibly Pettis. We can give 5 of them equal shares and say they get on average 3 per week.

On a good week Quick will maybe get 7 targets but it isn't going to be weekly, that will not be their philosophy.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

Couldn't be more serious. I don't think there's any way Quick sees the field enough to reach 600 yards. Can he still be a productive player? Sure, it's possible. But he's going to have to surprise a lot of people to improve enough to earn the amount of targets that it's going to take to get him to 40 catches and 600 yards.

FRO

Legend
Well if you were counting on anything from him his first year you are dreaming, you really didn't think he was going to produce right from the get did you? And last year when they threw the ball 15 times a game after Bradford went down???

C'mon man you might be expecting just a little too much
He was the 33rd pick in the draft. Essentially a first round pick. Why shouldn't I expect modest results. I wasn't expecting huge numbers from the guy, I was just expecting steady progress and by the end of his second year I was expecting the guy to be on the field more.

The guy is big and athletic. He is also timid. I'm hoping for the best, I just didn't really see any improvement from year one to year two. I also don't like the Clemens excuse because Bailey showed up at the end of the year and Clemens was the QB. Quick has got to be aggressive and confident and he won't be anything until he is. He is physically gifted, but his mentality isn't there yet.