Observations from Rams' sixth OTA/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quick has shown progress:

image.jpg

He was raw coming in. You can almost toss out his rookie year.

Quick showed some big play potential last year. Let's see what happens this year, with Bradford back.

I BELIEVE!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
LOL you didn't answer either so I will tell you what I think.

The Rams will throw about 25 times a game and they will not have a number 1 target they will spread the ball around and change it up each week according to match ups. They will throw about 60% of those to the WRs 30% to the TEs and 10% to the RBs.

Let's say the throw an average of 15 throws to the WRs Austin, Givens, Quick, Britt, Bailey and possibly Pettis. We can give 5 of them equal shares and say they get on average 3 per week.

On a good week Quick will maybe get 7 targets but it isn't going to be weekly, that will not be their philosophy.
I agree. When Sam's Rams have been successful on offense he's been able to spread the wealth. Toss in a strong run game and better protection and this offense should be better than we've seen.

FRO

Legend
My feeling is if he was so raw that it would take until year 3 for him to produce, then he shouldn't have been picked at 33. Maybe I'm focusing too much on where he was picked. To date we have gotten next to nothing from the guy and we have a big need at the position.

lockdnram21

Legend
My feeling is if he was so raw that it would take until year 3 for him to produce, then he shouldn't have been picked at 33. Maybe I'm focusing too much on where he was picked. To date we have gotten next to nothing from the guy and we have a big need at the position.

well this is his show and prove year. Yea i think a lot of people are foccusing on his draft position to much. But the rams seen something in him that they felt they couldnt pass up. Hopefully he doesnt make fools out of them.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They did have two other picks in the 2nd round. It's not like they needed to take him in that spot. Obviously they felt like someone would grab him before their next pick. And that he was worth the wait once he finally gets it. They may be right, they may be wrong but for his draft spot to keep getting harped about gets tiring.

FRO

Legend
They did have two other picks in the 2nd round. It's not like they needed to take him in that spot. Obviously they felt like someone would grab him before their next pick. And that he was worth the wait once he finally gets it. They may be right, they may be wrong but for his draft spot to keep getting harped about gets tiring.

From what I've read the Browns were interested in taking him. Quick had the physical talent worth taking high, it's the whole mental aspect that he is failing at.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I agree, but as long as Britt makes the team, he's taking reps away from Brian Quick. Can't imagine those are going to be your two outside receivers very often.
I don't know. They both can block. I actually look forward to seeing that kind of muscle out there on two wide receiver two tight end sets. Lots of options if you think about it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I see you
keep complaining about the draft position and production but have you taken time to look at others drafted in his situation and come up with anyone let alone a majority that have produced in the first two years? They just are not out there. Year three is about the average for when a WR starts to come in to his own. IF they are lucky enough to stay in the same offense with an opportunity to play and a QB that can get them the ball.

He has some talent now he just needs to prove it. I agree it is time for him to show why the Rams brass has been high on him. I have never heard a teammate or coach say anything negative about him. Only that he works hard puts in extra time and is learning the game and how to get better. I don't think this year is his last chance, just another one.

FRO

Legend
Justin Blackmon- 800+ yards as a rookie. Had as many catches in a suspension shortened 2013 than Quick does in his 2 season
Michael Floyd- 1,000+ yards in his second season
Kendall Wright- 1,000+ yards in his second season
Michael Jenkins- Huge Bust
Stephen Hill- Been more productive than Quick and maybe just as raw coming in
Alshon Jeffrey- 1,000+ yards his second season
Reuben Randle- 600+ yards his second year
Josh Gordon- 1,000+ yards his second season
TY Hilton- 1,000+ yards his second season

That's 5 guys who were rookies in 2012 that had 1,000 yard seasons in their second year. Blackmon would probably have been on that list had he not been an alcoholic. In summary it doesn't take receivers 3 years. Now Quick came in more raw, but we have to be objective here. I have not been a hater here, I think I've been pretty objective. If Quick steps up big this year I will be as happy if not more than anybody here.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Justin Blackmon- 800+ yards as a rookie. Had as many catches in a suspension shortened 2013 than Quick does in his 2 season
Michael Floyd- 1,000+ yards in his second season
Kendall Wright- 1,000+ yards in his second season
Michael Jenkins- Huge Bust
Stephen Hill- Been more productive than Quick and maybe just as raw coming in
Alshon Jeffrey- 1,000+ yards his second season
Reuben Randle- 600+ yards his second year
Josh Gordon- 1,000+ yards his second season
TY Hilton- 1,000+ yards his second season

That's 5 guys who were rookies in 2012 that had 1,000 yard seasons in their second year. Blackmon would probably have been on that list had he not been an alcoholic. In summary it doesn't take receivers 3 years. Now Quick came in more raw, but we have to be objective here. I have not been a hater here, I think I've been pretty objective. If Quick steps up big this year I will be as happy if not more than anybody here.

Problem is we have little idea of what Quick's numbers would be elsewhere vs. what the other players numbers would look like in St. Louis.

Would Quick have looked better in a more simple offense? Or working and training with the veterans like of Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Waynes, Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Santonio Holmes, or even Nate Washington vs. instead of having someone like a far lesser established and young Pettis be the chief veteran WR on the roster?

Would he have produced more if he were given more chances/targets? I think so, but who knows?

FRO

Legend
Problem is we have little idea of what Quick's numbers would be elsewhere vs. what the other players numbers would look like in St. Louis.

Would Quick have looked better in a more simple offense? Or working and training with the veterans like of Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Waynes, Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Santonio Holmes, or even Nate Washington vs. instead of having someone like a far lesser established and young Pettis be the chief veteran WR on the roster?

Would he have produced more if he were given more chances/targets? I think so, but who knows?
Or would those other guys have done more with the opprotunity to be the main guy instead of playing second fiddle? Blackmon had no help and a worse QB situation. As did Gordon. As did Hill. Who knows? But to date Quick hasn't done enough.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Or would those other guys have done more with the opprotunity to be the main guy instead of playing second fiddle? Blackmon had no help and a worse QB situation. As did Gordon. As did Hill. Who knows? But to date Quick hasn't done enough.

At the same time, Blackmon was a top 10 selection. Gordon (supplemental draft) would have been too, if not for the off the field stuff. Quick was never viewed as being that good coming out of college so I wouldn't have expected him to outshine those guys initially.

And Hill was simply given his starting spot to sink or swim in. And so far he's drowned with numbers not that much better than Quick. And he's started 19 games.

FRO

Legend
At the same time, Blackmon was a top 10 selection. Gordon (supplemental draft) would have been too, if not for the off the field stuff. Quick was never viewed as being that good coming out of college so I wouldn't have expected him to outshine those guys initially.

And Hill was simply given his starting spot to sink or swim in. And so far he's drowned with numbers not that much better than Quick. And he's started 19 games.
Gordon really only played one season of college ball in a spread Big 12 offense. Sure he had physical tools, but it was a surprise that Cleveland used a second round pick on him. Wouldn't he be considered as raw as Quick coming in? I agree much more is expected out of Blackmon/Floyd seeing they were top 15 picks.

My point with showing the 2012 rookies results is pointing out it doesn't take 3 years for a receiver to come on. Yes Quick is different because he was so raw, but in his second year he should have shown more.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Gordon really only played one season of college ball in a spread Big 12 offense. Sure he had physical tools, but it was a surprise that Cleveland used a second round pick on him. Wouldn't he be considered as raw as Quick coming in? I agree much more is expected out of Blackmon/Floyd seeing they were top 15 picks.

My point with showing the 2012 rookies results is pointing out it doesn't take 3 years for a receiver to come on. Yes Quick is different because he was so raw, but in his second year he should have shown more.

While the Big 12 may have fallen off some recently, it was still a good ways ahead of the Southern Conference. And I'd think that Gordon at least would have had a WR coach for his couple of seasons at Baylor. And while it may have surprised you, I'm not so sure how much of a surprise it was for the Browns to use a 2nd round supplemental pick on a kid with his size and talent. Those guys simply don't grow on trees.

I've read where NFL WRs say that it takes 3 seasons to hone their craft. If some do it in a shorter time, then great. But, to disregard the varying circumstances seems unfair to me. (Quite frankly, I thought Quick was coming on until Bradford went down).

In the end, more opportunities equals more yardage numbers for fans to dwell on. And we simply don't know what Quick would or could have shown elsewhere under different circumstances.

FRO

Legend
While the Big 12 may have fallen off some recently, it was still a good ways ahead of the Southern Conference. And I'd think that Gordon at least would have had a WR coach for his couple of seasons at Baylor. And while it may have surprised you, I'm not so sure how much of a surprise it was for the Browns to use a 2nd round supplemental pick on a kid with his size and talent. Those guys simply don't grow on trees.

I've read where NFL WRs say that it takes 3 seasons to hone their craft. If some do it in a shorter time, then great. But, to disregard the varying circumstances seems unfair to me. (Quite frankly, I thought Quick was coming on until Bradford went down).

In the end, more opportunities equals more yardage numbers for fans to dwell on. And we simply don't know what Quick would or could have shown elsewhere.
I agree with a lot you said here. My only point is I wish Quick would have done more. I wasn't asking for 1,000 yards in year 2. I was asking for more than 18 catches. To me that doesn't cut it for a second year WR who was the 33rd overall pick. I don't care how raw the guy is.