Noteboom To IR With Torn Achilles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would make every effort to lure and sign Eric Fisher.

Rams need a tackle, for depth if nothing else and those are hard to find.
I would tend to lean in that direction but Fisher is a shell of his past self due to injuries & overall damage to his body is bad.

Fisher Has Turned Down 9 Offers!

View: https://twitter.com/joshuabuckley/status/1562855123080331267?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1562855123080331267%7Ctwgr%5Ea0d5a5ddf5d75f09f5540ac7fab41ac0bf177304%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fheavy.com%2Fsports%2Fkansas-city-chiefs%2Feric-fisher-free-agent-market-2022%2F

The LT room is sure getting light. Alaric Jackson is it for the rest of this season. The main backup is now AJ Arcuri. I Bet he will be getting a ton of work over this bye @ just one post.

Think about it .....last season we had Whitworth/Noteboom & Alaric Jackson....now one year later the Rams have a 2nd yr UDFA starting & a Rookie 7th rd'er backing him up. Dynamic Change!

Since Carberry loves #71 so much wonder if he sees #71 as a reserve to LT? Yes Chandler Brewer has a good amount of time in presesaon @ LT. I would guess the temperature will go up on PS OT Max Pircher too.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It certainly is up to Jackson. If he plays well and doesn't want to start for peanuts for two more years, knowing what he adds to this team, the Rams are going to need to find a solution with him.
What do you think his options would be? Sit-out the season?

Then Jackson would not be a Restricted free agent until 2025 because he would not accrue a season by sitting-out.

Rookies are under team-control for the first four seasons. It may not be fair but it's the rules. Have been for a long time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What do you think his options would be? Sit-out the season?

Then Jackson would not be a Restricted free agent until 2025 because he would not accrue a season by sitting-out.

Rookies are under team-control for the first four seasons. It may not be fair but it's the rules. Have been for a long time.
LT is a cornerstone position. It's a crucial role and the highest paid spot on the line. Jackson looks to me like a real starting LT. This means there is zero chance he will be happy playing on that shit contract (being paid less than $1M per season) while he's holding down left tackle for a contender for two years.

And the Rams will not try to make him do that either. They will ink him early to avoid the unpleasantness. So how it will go down is we will hear rumblings by Jackson's representation re: a new contract by the season's end. This offseason it will get done, and probably in conjunction with Boom being traded.

If the Rams play hardball, which I don't think they would do, things will go badly. Jackson is a fucking windfall. The team will gladly pay him to remove that position from the concern list.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Actually there is going to be so much good OFF-SEASON news on the offensive line that they may or may not take somebody high up in the draft....(AGAIN!).

I think Alaric Jackson is THE MAN at left tackle, (285 lbs. my ass).
As crazy as that sounds out of a udfa, I think he's getting ready to prove it.
At guard(s) we're going to have a Tremayne Anchrum, a David Edwards, an Abushi, a Shelton and a Chandler Brewer, (who I'm really surprised has not developed out to where I thought he would because he looks like a damn 320 lb. caveman) not to mention Logan Bruss.
If they can develop AJ Acuri out, he is a prototype swing tackle size wise.
Plus the walking wounded that we have on IR.
(I will give Bobby Evans credit and that he ups his game on game day).

That lineup adds about 55 lbs. to the offensive line.

Sometimes you need the power.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I would tend to lean in that direction but Fisher is a shell of his past self due to injuries & overall damage to his body is bad.

The LT room is sure getting light. Alaric Jackson is it for the rest of this season. The main backup is now AJ Arcuri. I Bet he will be getting a ton of work over this bye @ just one post.

Think about it .....last season we had Whitworth/Noteboom & Alaric Jackson....now one year later the Rams have a 2nd yr UDFA starting & a Rookie 7th rd'er backing him up. Dynamic Change!

Since Carberry loves #71 so much wonder if he sees #71 as a reserve to LT? Yes Chandler Brewer has a good amount of time in presesaon @ LT. I would guess the temperature will go up on PS OT Max Pircher too.

As long as we're down to the kitchen sink, we ought not leave Edwards off the LT reserve list once he returns.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
LT is a cornerstone position. It's a crucial role and the highest paid spot on the line. Jackson looks to me like a real starting LT. This means there is zero chance he will be happy playing on that shit contract (being paid less than $1M per season) while he's holding down left tackle for a contender for two years.

And the Rams will not try to make him do that either. They will ink him early to avoid the unpleasantness. So how it will go down is we will hear rumblings by Jackson's representation re: a new contract by the season's end. This offseason it will get done, and probably in conjunction with Boom being traded.

If the Rams play hardball, which I don't think they would do, things will go badly. Jackson is a fucking windfall. The team will gladly pay him to remove that position from the concern list.
Man, that's a lot of conjecture for an OL that has yet to start a single game at LT.

Although that scenario could play-out, A LOT would have to happen; and the Rams would have control.

Can you think of a single example of a late round pick or undrafted free agent that was signed to an extension after just two seasons? I can't. Guessing it has happened but is very rare. Can not think of a single example.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Actually there is going to be so much good OFF-SEASON news on the offensive line that they may or may not take somebody high up in the draft....(AGAIN!).

At guard(s) we're going to have a Tremayne Anchrum, a David Edwards, an Abushi, a Shelton and a Chandler Brewer, (who I'm really surprised has not developed out to where I thought he would because he looks like a damn 320 lb. caveman) not to mention Logan Bruss.

Edwards will be a free agent.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah looking ahead they will need to find a depth OT who can play the left side. Not sure who that is or if they think they have one of those on the roster. But assuming Jackson can stay healthy it seems like we'll have our bookends in place and that's a big deal. Edges are the hardest pieces to find on that line.

Hopefully Bruss is a revelation next season. But it feels to me like we need a couple more OL pieces period with this group. I'd draft a center for sure for example. And hopefully they add another guard.

IMO some of their problem is this tendency to take OTs and move them inside. Some of those OGs they have passed on in the past might not be able to play the edge, so you don't get the flexibility that drafting the OTs gives you, but the guards do bring some advantages like being more specialized inside at the run game.

But I don't want to get all high about the offseason when we have a long season ahead still and need these guys to stay healthy the rest of the way. We're still in one dicey ass position right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, that's a lot of conjecture for an OL that has yet to start a single game at LT.

Although that scenario could play-out, A LOT would have to happen; and the Rams would have control.

Can you think of a single example of a late round pick or undrafted free agent that was signed to an extension after just two seasons? I can't. Guessing it has happened but is very rare. Can not think of a single example.
We have reached the stage where I think your knowledge of the game is a limiting factor. So let's agree to disagree. If we enter next season with Jackson playing for sub-$1M you can give me shit and take your victory lap. How bout that.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We have reached the stage where I think your knowledge of the game is a limiting factor. So let's agree to disagree. If we enter next season with Jackson playing for sub-$1M you can give me shit and take your victory lap. How bout that.
That's the 2nd time you have made the "victory lap comment" when we have disagreed on a topic.

I don't get that. It's not about winning or losing.

You and I both post a lot (so clearly, we BOTH have issues ... we should compare medications!).

Seriously though, since we both post a lot, we are likely to disagree sometimes and exchange ideas. It's not a competition. To me it's a discussion on my life-long favorite sports team. I live in New York. Not many Rams' fans here!

And, neither one of us are going to remember this next season. Regardless, I hope Alaric Jackson stays healthy and plays great.

Now, let's talk medications.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the 2nd time you have made the "victory lap comment" when we have disagreed on a topic.

I don't get that. It's not about winning or losing.

You and I both post a lot (so clearly, we BOTH have issues ... we should compare medications!).

Seriously though, since we both post a lot, we are likely to disagree sometimes and exchange ideas. It's not a competition. To me it's a discussion on my life-long favorite sports team. I live in New York. Not many Rams' fans here!

And, neither one of us are going to remember this next season. Regardless, I hope Jackson stays healthy and plays great.

Now, let's talk medications.
Your last exchange made about as much sense as this one Allen. I observed that Boom was in for a big test with SF. You pointed out that Bosa plays on the strong side. It's not my job to educate you on the basics of this game, that defensive coordinators will look for the best matchups with the front. Or that Boom's matchup nightmare was Bosa, so clearly he would end up over Boom. You persisted on the topic and it was a waste of time because they played Bosa over Boom as I suggested and he whipped Boom's ass.

This is the same. The Rams are not the team that will force a young player making less than $1M to start at LT for two years because the rules say that's what has to happen. In today's league there aren't many teams who would do that, because when you find a LT via UDFA that's like walking down the street and finding a diamond. It's a good thing.

So I am not going to waste my time or yours with a senseless back and forth on a topic that I already know the outcome of. But like I told you in the other thread if you want to take your victory lap now knock yourself out. Have fun with that.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Yeah, there was no issue with durability at TCU when the Rams drafted Noteboom, but at first he was unlucky and now it's turned into a trend. Not sure they can count on Boom then more of the 6th OL moving forward.

They need to draft OL in 2023 with the hope of getting quick results. Jackson could be the man at LT, but it's hard to believe he's that guy going completely undrafted, but as @ottoman89 has communicated multiple times, Jackson is Iowa strong.

1) I read an article LAST season that was suggesting the Rams might have inadvertently found their future Tackles in Jackson and Anchrum. Not sure they both end up playing bookend Tackles, but the Rams scored with those two. They could be the future of this OL.
2) As for Noteboom, the Rams did the right thing by signing him. They had Been grooming him from day one for this season. Yes, he had suffered injuries, but his play was good enough to warrant the opportunity/signing.
…now he’s hurt. Sucks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Joe Noteboom suffered an Achilles injury this afternoon.

This is sure to cause some serious waves in the future on the makeup of this OL.

Four straight seasons back to back to back to back with Joe Noteboom landing on the injured reserve. Last season he was on it twice so the total of 5 IR events in four seasons...what do you think?

I sure was off the mark on the full-on press of my Noteboom praise the last few seasons.

Many others besides you were singing the praises of Noteboom.

I never wavered. I never saw what many here did. Now it is a non issue.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

My conjecture is based solely on performance tossed in with a little prototype size, (He's 305/310 at least).

He's been our best pass protector since he's been in the starting lineup.

3 seconds per pass protect.

To me, he looks like a natural T and until he proves he can't?
I'm going to go with left tackle.

No Boom just wasn't cutting it.

And we know he sucks at Guard.

I am a believer until proven otherwise.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Kurt Warner.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can we give the kid, Alaric Jackson 1 start before we start handing out new contracts? He's gonna get a big test in about 2 weeks.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Was looking at the wrong line.
So.. 7 million cost with 8.5 savings? Is that what I'm seeing?

If AJ is the answer at LT... this would be a completely acceptable number for me. I'd be moving on.
Agreed. Noteboom cannot be relied upon to be a starter, due to his lack of availability, and that being the case, we cannot afford to be paying him like one. I do like Noteboom quite a bit as depth. But even when playing limited snaps in a depth position, he was still always getting hurt. He stepped in for Worthwhile against Tampa Bay last post-season, and played very well, but promptly strained his pec. The Noteboom contract is quickly proving disastrous. Eat the money and move on. Maybe Jackson can be the answer. Either way, going forward at LT with Noteboom seems doomed to failure.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Can we give the kid, Alaric Jackson 1 start before we start handing out new contracts? He's gonna get a big test in about 2 weeks.
This is a fair point. Jackson has been super impressive but let's see how he does once teams get film on him and their pass rushers prepare to face him week in, week out, and study his tendencies. Noteboom has been dealing with that adjustment, being LT1 for the first time, all while playing hurt on a bum knee. I still think he is an above average LT when healthy, and if people could adjust their expectations after being spoiled by Whitworth for so long, Noteboom would be appreciated better for what he does bring. The problem is he is always hurt. For that reason, I favor moving on. I wasn't a fan of the contract at the time for that same reason. Many were not. Rams fans were split. I thought it was too much money for a player with a small sample size yet, simultaneously, lengthy injury history.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I have no idea the market for Fisher.

But… imagine losing Jackson for even just a game. It’s only week 7. The offensive line feels priority above all else, to me.
To me, the offensive line is the priority 17 weeks out of the year.

Ball control, (rest your defensive players for the big stops at the end of the game)

Every offensive player is able to reach their potential, (potentially).

THE most important unit on your team.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I’m similarly optimistic.
There’s still so much to learn about Alaric Jackson… but… IF… he’s the real deal?
That means you can dedicate resources needed for an edge on a trade.
You’ll still want to draft at least one next year.

Btw.. I was intrigued by Brewer.. but saw nothing in preseason to be excited about.