Noteboom confident he can tackle being Rams’ replacement for Andrew Whitworth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The hardest part might be reminding ourselves Noteboom is replacing a pro bowl player at LT.

Tough gig.

But... this is potentially good for us... If Whitworth can come back for playoffs, this is a good stretch to see where Joe is at. We sort of needed that anyway for setting future strategy for the tackle positions.

If he can play well, that’s huge.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The hardest part might be reminding ourselves Noteboom is replacing a pro bowl player at LT.

Tough gig.

But... this is potentially good for us... If Whitworth can come back for playoffs, this is a good stretch to see where Joe is at. We sort of needed that anyway for setting future strategy for the tackle positions.

If he can play well, that’s huge.
As I look forward to the rest of this regular season for the next 7 weeks it seems highly probable that Noteboom will be our starting LT unless he sure comes to another injury as he did in 2019 & early this season as a starter.

So it's Noteboom or bust. If the Rams do play up to their potential over the next 7 wks then AW might enter the picture @ LT as the season concludes.

Any way you look at it having both AW & JN available going into the NFC Championship game is a great bit of news!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Let me preface what I’m about to say with I love big whit and understand he’s been invaluable to our team. We would not have had the turn around we did without him. Whit has truly been an iron man and defied the odds playing at this high of a level this late into his career...however, Father Time is undefeated.

That being said, if Whit does retire what does that do to our salary cap? I would think it increases the chances we are able to pay Darius Williams no?
Your post influenced me to do some digging into the past history of our 39 yr old LT Andrew Whitworth's left knee. I found that in 2013 AW had 2 surgical knee procedures completed on his left knee. They had to go back into the left a second time to fix up additional problems. Other than the offseason 2013 knee surgery to that left knee this is is the 2nd knee injury event on that left knee.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

You were on the right page until
The End.

I think you have to think inside out starting at Center.

-My question was and happy we didn’t find out,but you look back 3 to 4 weeks ago and Big Whit goes down it’s different.

You look at Old Schools game game roster & evaluate there. Noteboom is back,but The Game Day Roster tells the story if something were to happen in certain situation.

I look at Shelton over the last 2 years & how he was kept on the roster.That being said, Austin Blythe can be a Starting Super Bowl Right Guard.I don’t know his future of Austin Blythe as a Rams Center.What I can say is The Rams Foundation is Pretty Strong!!

I’ve said about The Rams depth.I think Comp Picks are Huge. What The Rams are building is Pretty Awesome.

I hope I don’t get BANNED from saying Jared Goff is Pretty Awesome!! I’ve doubted him from affair & joke about his play & Halloween in a Seattle Jersey!!
If I can’t talk Crap about that day after Halloween & IN Early East Coast Game when I can’t even watch it sort of sucks because I can Eat Crow.

I don’t like the play calling all that much.I think Jared Goff is making a lot of mistakes,but I like the direction & the confidence of the team.

The Miami Game was a tough game & once I watched it I blame Mcvay.Goff is not in a comfort zone right now & he is expanding his game. He is tough,and a lot of growth.

I question some things, and I’m not sure about what happens upfront.Bug Whit has been huge. Noteboom is being asked a lot in one sense,but timing is perfect if it was going to happen in 2020.

I don’t question Noteboom playing Guard and As ALL A Long have been saying that experience will pay off.Herr we are with Noteboom starting for Andrew Whitworth for the first time. The only time Whitworth has not started under Sean Mcvay.

Wishing The O”Line Health!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Noteboom or bust

tenor.gif

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Sean McVay expresses confidence in Joe Noteboom as Whitworth’s replacement

Cameron DaSilva
Tue, November 17, 2020,
View attachment 40965

This is Noteboom’s first real chance to prove himself as a future starting left tackle. If Whitworth retires after this season, the door could open for Noteboom to take his place. But that’ll be less likely if Noteboom struggles to close out this season, causing the Rams to look elsewhere for Whitworth’s heir.

McVay is fully aware of the situation, but he doesn’t want to look too far ahead. He doesn’t necessarily view this as an audition for Noteboom.“I think what it is, is it’s an opportunity for him to play right now and we’re going to be present in the moment,” he said. “Joe is a guy that we’ve always anticipated in projected as somebody that we do feel like is a starting-caliber left tackle in this league.

He’s got the length. He’s got the athleticism. I think he’s doing a great job of continuing to, to grow his repertoire in terms of understanding the techniques, the fundamentals that we want to implement and utilize in the run game and protection. I was pleased with him yesterday, but it’s going to be something that you’ll certainly miss Andrew and everything that he means to us. But, whether you look at it as an audition, I think it’s an opportunity for Joe to step up and I expect him to play.”
Apparently Noteboom is very strong as well. Have to think he can improve on technical aspects of blocking.

Noteboom deserves a real opportunity to prove himself at LT and now circumstances have opened that door. Hoping he steps up big time and proves doubters wrong.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree fully our reserve depth is one of the best in the NFL.

Never know what Kromer is up to on how he perceives his reserve unit now. Rooke Tremayne Anchrum could be the left side OL'er OT/LG & Evans the right side guy RG/RT with Shelton being mainly the back up to Blythe. I am sure Shelton is smart enough to work all five posts if an emergency came up.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Never know what Kromer is up to on how he perceives his reserve unit now. Rooke Tremayne Anchrum could be the left side OL'er OT/LG & Evans the right side guy RG/RT with Shelton being mainly the back up to Blythe. I am sure Shelton is smart enough to work all five posts if an emergency came up.

This was the concern going into the season. Would Havenstein bounce back. It would appear he has. Was Whitworth too old. He didn't play like it. But injuries are inevitable the older guys get. We couldn't do any better than Blythe at C? I haven't heard many complaints there. Corbett was cut by Cleveland of all teams. He's playing well. Edwards did well last year and is playing well again. Last year Evans might have been the best of the youngsters by years end. And Noteboom was playing G before he got injured. I don't think we give him any credit but apparently the coaching staff still has confidence in him. This will be his first extended time at T since spelling AW for a half or so in 2018. It's going to be interesting to watch, though he apparently played good in the second half last week. Didn't hear his name mentioned, which is a good thing. Are Evans and Anchrum OL #6 and #7? Hopefully we won't find out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

All those snaps guys got last year during the injuries is paying off with confidence in the depth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This was the concern going into the season. Would Havenstein bounce back. It would appear he has. Was Whitworth too old. He didn't play like it. But injuries are inevitable the older guys get. We couldn't do any better than Blythe at C? I haven't heard many complaints there. Corbett was cut by Cleveland of all teams. He's playing well. Edwards did well last year and is playing well again. Last year Evans might have been the best of the youngsters by years end. And Noteboom was playing G before he got injured. I don't think we give him any credit but apparently the coaching staff still has confidence in him. This will be his first extended time at T since spelling AW for a half or so in 2018. It's going to be interesting to watch, though he apparently played good in the second half last week. Didn't hear his name mentioned, which is a good thing. Are Evans and Anchrum OL #6 and #7? Hopefully we won't find out.
Snead has changed the face of this Rams OL from utilizing the recent drafts, signing UFA's, trades & WWC line. This began in 2017. Things began to change dynamically. Of course, signing UFA Whitworth & WWC Austin Blythe from the Colts to go with one remaining Fisher era starting RT Rob Havenstein.

In the past, Snead missed on so many OL draft selections no matter what day of the draft he picked them. Snead has done well thus far on 2 second day selections in LT Joseph Noteboom & RT Bobby Evans. He certainly struck gold in a 3rd-day pick of a (college RT only) David Edwards who came in as a rookie & now in his 2nd season played in all the Rams games 2019/2020 & started 20 of them @ either LG or RG. A true gift in the 5th rd. Snead might have hit gold again in another (RT only) late 3rd-day draft selection in the 7th rd in Tremayne Anchrum.

In 2019 Snead snatched another center off the WWC in Coleman Shelton. Before the trade deadline in 2019 Snead utilized a 2021 3rd day 5th rd selection for a Browns top 2nd rd #33 pick in 2018 Austin Corbett. This (college past LT only) OL'er came in 2019 & started the latter half of 2019 @ LG & then was flipped over to join RT Havenstein on the right side & has started every game @ RG.

Snead does have some lingering unknown drafted 3rd-day draft selections still under contract in 4th rd 2018 OC Brian Allen & 6th rd OG Jamil Demby. In addition, UDFA OT/OG Chandler Brewer & OG/OC Jeremiah Kolone are also under contract. Kolone has been a Ram for 3 seasons now & Brewer was forced to take the 2020 season off due to Covid-19.

As a body, my thought here is this current contracted OL is the overall best well-rounded youthful OL cadre in the NFL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Joe Noteboom confident he can tackle being Rams’ replacement for Andrew Whitworth
By GARY KLEINSTAFF WRITER
NOV. 19, 2020

1605892076547.png

Replacing 15-year pro Andrew Whitworth poses a challenge for Rams left tackle Joe Noteboom. To do it against a Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense that is second in the NFL in sacks makes it more difficult. But Noteboom said Thursday he was prepared to step in for Whitworth, a four-time Pro Bowl selection who could be out six to eight weeks because of a knee injury. “It’s definitely an irreplaceable guy,” Noteboom said of Whitworth. “I feel that the coaching staff and everyone here, they have a good game plan for this game. “And watching him for three years, I feel prepared to go in there and do as well as he did.”

Whitworth, 38, sprained the medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments in his left knee during the second quarter of Rams’ 23-16 victory over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

Noteboom, 25, finished the game at left tackle, helping the Rams improve their record to 6-3. But Monday night’s game against the Buccaneers (7-3) in Tampa will be his first start at the position the Rams projected for him when he was selected in the third round of the 2018 draft.
Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay watches his team during the second half of an NFL football game.

“He’s going to continue to get better with experience,” coach Sean McVay said Thursday. “Just kind of getting his feet wet. ... You never truly replace somebody like Andrew Whitworth, but I did like that Joe got a chance to get in there, settled in, had some things that he can definitely learn from against Seattle and now we know what a great challenge it’ll be.”

As a rookie, Noteboom played as a reserve tackle. In 2019, he started at left guard alongside Whitworth before suffering a season-ending knee injury in the sixth game. He was the starting left guard this season before suffering another knee injury in the second game against the Philadelphia Eagles and being replaced by David Edwards.

Noteboom came off injured reserve before the game against the Seahawks. Quarterback Jared Goff said he was confident Noteboom would protect his blindside and play well in place of Whitworth.“Joe is ready,” Goff said. “I’ve got a lot of faith in Joe and I know he feels comfortable out there at tackle and he’ll do a good job for us.”
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA NOVEMBER 15, 2020-Rams quarterback Jared Gof.
Goff has passed for 13 touchdowns, with six interceptions. He has been sacked 13 times, tied for fifth fewest in the league.The Buccaneers have amassed 32 sacks, and edge rusher Jason Pierre-Paul has a team-best 7½ sacks. Outside linebacker Shaquil Barrett and inside linebacker Devin White each have five sacks and former Rams lineman Ndamukong Suh has four.

Last season, Barrett terrorized Goff with a sack, an interception and a forced fumble in a 55-40 victory at the Coliseum. Goff passed for a career-best 517 yards but had three passes intercepted and lost a fumble that was returned for a touchdown.“They’re definitely a good defense for sure, a bunch of good players,” Noteboom said. “But I feel like I’d approach it and we’d approach it the same as any other games. But going against a defense like this your first time is definitely a good challenge.”

Noteboom is part of a line that will include Edwards, center Austin Blythe, right guard Austin Corbett and right tackle Rob Havenstein. Whitworth remains an encouraging presence in meetings, Noteboom said.“He’s pretty confident in what we can do,” Noteboom said, “so he’s just saying, ‘It’s your guys, time go do what you do, like you would any other week.’ ”

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Did you focus on him at all? Same trouble holding his blocks in pass pro and locating his blocks on the move in the run game. Did you notice how often they were stacking two tight ends to his side to help?

I hadn't focused on him while watching the game. But after I read this post I put on GamePass and watched the beginning of the 2nd half. The Rams had a 14 play drive after forcing a Seattle punt on the Seahawks first possession. I took out my notepad and wrote 3 columns.

No TE.........................1 TE......................2 TE

and then I hit play.

The first two plays of the drive the Rams had 2 TEs next to Noteboom. Both times they ran right, which in my mind indicated a disguise as Seattle had a bunch of defenders opposite those 3.

The next 3 plays he was on an island. A swing pass where he hit his man then let him go and moved downfield to block. Another pass where nobody even rushed from that DE spot and he helped Edwards with his man. On the next play Adams blitzed on his side. Edwards took the DE, Adams didn't even attempt to engage Noteboom and Goff threw downfield 17 yards for a first down.

The next play they had a TE on his side. KJ Wright didn't rush so Higbee just stood there and Noteboom blocked the DE, who eventually got 3 yards upfield by the time Goff threw (lotsa time) 20 yards downfield for another first down. The next play he was on an island again. He stoned KJ Wright and Goff threw incomplete. Then they finally put a TE on his side and Goff flipped a screen right to Henderson.

The next 6 plays Noteboom was on an island again. On the first, a quick pass left to Woods, Noteboom let Dunlap go and blocked the DB before he could get out to help on Woods. First down. Next play, a quick pass left to Reynolds for 9 no one to block. The third play Goff rolled right as the line blocked left and ran for the first down. On the fourth play Noteboom actually blocked two guys on the backside as Akers ran right. First #94 and then #98, neither got close to the play. Next play they shifted Reynolds to the slot next to Noteboom then he motioned right as Akers ran right with Noteboom sealing off the backside neatly. On the 6th play, Noteboom stoned Dunlap in pass pro as Goff threw incomplete to Everett but there was DPI on the play. Finally the Rams put 3 TE's next Noteboom on the goal line and ran left between Noteboom and the TE's....touchdown Brown.

So there were 15 plays, only 14 counted because of the DPI but Noteboom was on an island for 10 of them. I didn't see any 'necessary extra help' for him and it didn't look like he needed any help. In fact when they put TEs on his side, it was more slight of hand than anything else as they ran right on half of them. And for the rest of the half the Rams ran only 16 more plays so how much help did they give him, really? But I'll continue watching and report back.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hadn't focused on him while watching the game. But after I read this post I put on GamePass and watched the beginning of the 2nd half. The Rams had a 14 play drive after forcing a Seattle punt on the Seahawks first possession. I took out my notepad and wrote 3 columns.

No TE.........................1 TE......................2 TE

and then I hit play.

The first two plays of the drive the Rams had 2 TEs next to Noteboom. Both times they ran right, which in my mind indicated a disguise as Seattle had a bunch of defenders opposite those 3.

The next 3 plays he was on an island. A swing pass where he hit his man then let him go and moved downfield to block. Another pass where nobody even rushed from that DE spot and he helped Edwards with his man. On the next play Adams blitzed on his side. Edwards took the DE, Adams didn't even attempt to engage Noteboom and Goff threw downfield 17 yards for a first down.

The next play they had a TE on his side. KJ Wright didn't rush so Higbee just stood there and Noteboom blocked the DE, who eventually got 3 yards upfield by the time Goff threw (lotsa time) 20 yards downfield for another first down. The next play he was on an island again. He stoned KJ Wright and Goff threw incomplete. Then they finally put a TE on his side and Goff flipped a screen right to Henderson.

The next 6 plays Noteboom was on an island again. On the first, a quick pass left to Woods, Noteboom let Dunlap go and blocked the DB before he could get out to help on Woods. First down. Next play, a quick pass left to Reynolds for 9 no one to block. The third play Goff rolled right as the line blocked left and ran for the first down. On the fourth play Noteboom actually blocked two guys on the backside as Akers ran right. First #94 and then #98, neither got close to the play. Next play they shifted Reynolds to the slot next to Noteboom then he motioned right as Akers ran right with Noteboom sealing off the backside neatly. On the 6th play, Noteboom stoned Dunlap in pass pro as Goff threw incomplete to Everett but there was DPI on the play. Finally the Rams put 3 TE's next Noteboom on the goal line and ran left between Noteboom and the TE's....touchdown Brown.

So there were 15 plays, only 14 counted because of the DPI but Noteboom was on an island for 10 of them. I didn't see any 'necessary extra help' for him and it didn't look like he needed any help. In fact when they put TEs on his side, it was more slight of hand than anything else as they ran right on half of them. And for the rest of the half the Rams ran only 16 more plays so how much help did they give him, really? But I'll continue watching and report back.

Twice on an island, near the end I think it was Dunlap that tried a speed power rush move on Joe. He pushed Noteboom right back into Goff. Next play same thing. It took a little bit for him to figure him out but he seemed to find a combo that worked. I bet future opponents will take notice too.

As for the rest of that stuff you could have saved your time if you read the thread. It was already posted. But since you watched I’m sure you saw him blocking in space and whiffing a few times and not holding blocks long. I think he ended up on his ass once too.
My comments about the extra help were premature and after only watching the game once. I tried to follow him but also wanted to watch the plays too. So the plays that I noticed him were run to his side and those were some that he had extra help. Sorry.

I said I’d drop it for a while and revisit after a few games. You made me break my vow of silence. Again if you read the thread you’d know all of that.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Twice on an island, near the end I think it was Dunlap that tried a speed power rush move on Joe. He pushed Noteboom right back into Goff. Next play same thing. It took a little bit for him to figure him out but he seemed to find a combo that worked. I bet future opponents will take notice too.

As for the rest of that stuff you could have saved your time if you read the thread. It was already posted. But since you watched I’m sure you saw him blocking in space and whiffing a few times and not holding blocks long. I think he ended up on his ass once too.
My comments about the extra help were premature and after only watching the game once. I tried to follow him but also wanted to watch the plays too. So the plays that I noticed him were run to his side and those were some that he had extra help. Sorry.

I said I’d drop it for a while and revisit after a few games. You made me break my vow of silence. Again if you read the thread you’d know all of that.

I started at page 1 and saw your post on page 2. Sorry I didn't read the rest of the thread. I will go back and continue. But I did watch the other 3 possessions in the 2nd half and Noteboom got moved back by Dunlap twice, the only one affecting the play was when Ford forced Goff back to where Noteboom and Dunlap were. He was on Dunlap a half dozen times and Dunlap semi-affected 1 play. As far as "missing guys" downfield, it happens to the best of them. I saw two in particular and truly by that time the play was over. Hey, like you said, "we'll see how he does the rest of the way". I do believe this much. He's a better tackle than a guard. Here's hoping his play is good.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I started at page 1 and saw your post on page 2. Sorry I didn't read the rest of the thread. I will go back and continue. But I did watch the other 3 possessions in the 2nd half and Noteboom got moved back by Dunlap twice, the only one affecting the play was when Ford forced Goff back to where Noteboom and Dunlap were. He was on Dunlap a half dozen times and Dunlap semi-affected 1 play. As far as "missing guys" downfield, it happens to the best of them. I saw two in particular and truly by that time the play was over. Hey, like you said, "we'll see how he does the rest of the way". I do believe this much. He's a better tackle than a guard. Here's hoping his play is good.
Imagine the horror! Carlos Dunlap winning plays against an OLine, any in the league :D Yeah he's been doing that for years against the best of them and only a couple times a game too, nah he beats the best of them multiple times a game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Big opportunity ahead for Joe Noteboom
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:20 AM
Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 6.27.06 PM

Stu Jackson
Staff Writer

With starting left tackle Andrew Whitworth out 6-8 weeks with a knee injury, the Rams will turn to third-year pro Joe Noteboom as his replacement for the time being, beginning with Monday night's game in Tampa Bay against the Buccaneers (5:15 p.m. PT, ABC7/ESPN).
Noteboom embraces the opportunity, one he feels confidently prepared for.

"(He's) definitely an irreplaceable guy, being a 14-,15-year veteran," Noteboom said during a video conference after Thursday's practice. "But I feel the coaching staff, everyone here, they have a good gameplan for this game. Watching him for three years, I definitely feel prepared to go in there and do as well as he did."

For Noteboom, this marks his first NFL start at his projected position.

Rams head coach Sean McVay said this week that when the team selected the former TCU standout in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft, it did so with the intention to eventually play him at left tackle. GM Les Snead also alluded to those plans nine months earlier in his end-of-2019-season news conference when asked about the future of the position as Whitworth was headed for unrestricted free agency.

Whitworth, of course, re-signed with Los Angeles in early April, which led to Noteboom returning to left guard, where he started in each of the Rams' first two games this season before a calf injury landed him on injured reserve. Initially, his return to the 53-man roster was in a reserve role since his replacement at left guard – David Edwards – played well enough to keep the starting job, but Whitworth's injury called him into action against the Seahawks and re-opened the door to being a starter again.

Despite that calf injury – and the season-ending knee injury in Week 6 last season – Noteboom still offers plenty of experience. He appeared in every game during his 2018 rookie season, including the Rams' three playoff games, and also has eight starts at left guard. Noteboom also credits cross-training along the offensive line – standard protocol for young players in run game coordinator and offensive line coach Aaron Kromer's group – for making this transition smooth.

"It's always hard to replace somebody like that – he's obviously an integral part of our offense and our team," Goff said during a video conference Thursday. "It'll be hard, but Joe (Noteboom) is ready. Joe has been doing this, you know, we've had him play in meaningful snaps for a few years now and he's going to be ready. I've got a lot of faith in Joe and I know he feels comfortable out there at tackle and he'll do a good job for us." McVay didn't want to say whether this was an audition for Noteboom to be Whitworth's heir apparent. Noteboom, when asked whether he prefers to play tackle or guard, said he would play either.

However, with it being the first chance for the team to thoroughly evaluate him at left tackle in a live game setting, it does mark a significant 6-8 weeks for both Noteboom and the Rams.
"I think what it is, is it's an opportunity for him to play right now and we're going to be present in the moment," McVay said during a video conference Monday. "Joe is a guy that we've always anticipated in projected as somebody that we do feel like as a starting caliber left tackle in this league. He's got the length. He's got the athleticism.

I think he's doing a great job of continuing to grow his repertoire in terms of understanding the techniques, the fundamentals that we want to implement and utilize in the run game and protection. I was pleased with him yesterday, but it's going to be something that you'll certainly miss Andrew and everything that he means to us. But, whether you look at it as an audition, I think it's an opportunity for Joe to step up and I expect him to play."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Andrew Whitworth's mindset motivating teammates to finish season strong
Nov 20, 2020 at 03:06 PM

In glimpses shown via social media, Whitworth is doing everything he can to return to action as soon as possible. His Los Angeles teammates are equally motivated to finish the season strong so that whenever he returns, L.A. is in a position to keep playing.

"I think it's very motivating, absolutely," Goff said during a video conference Thursday. "I think when you initially see the injury you go, 'that could be it for him.' You think the worst right away. But seeing the way he's attacked this already in the first handful of days here is super exciting, and I would expect nothing less. I mean, all of us wouldn't."

Based on that estimated timeline, the soonest Whitworth could potentially return would be Week 17 – the Rams' regular season finale against the Cardinals. While there's no doubting Whitworth has the ability to hit that target, should he need another week to fully heal before Los Angeles is comfortable returning him to game action, remaining in the playoff picture becomes the safest way to allow him to play again this season.

As it currently stands, the Rams are in good shape. They're currently the No. 6 seed in NFC and sit second in their division heading into Monday night's game against the 7-3 Buccaneers in Tampa Bay (5:15 p.m. PT, ABC7/ESPN). Take care of business in Weeks 11-16, and the postseason outlook becomes a lot brighter, Whitworth's potential Week 17 return more impactful.

"Knowing he's grinding so hard to get back, it motivates us to do a good job when he's gone, so when he does come back, he'll have a good spot, we'll have a won a lot of games," said offensive lineman Joe Noteboom, who will start in place of Whitworth at left tackle while Whitworth is on injured reserve. "Just matching his intensity with how he's approaching rehab."

Whitworth is determined to return after six weeks, and his teammates are determined to have the Rams in the best possible position by then and reward him for his efforts. Though injured, he'll also expound as much energy as he can to help them accomplish that from the sidelines.

"I know he's going to attack every opportunity to give himself a chance to play, whether it's at the end of the regular season, or if we get a chance to play afterwards," Rams head coach Sean McVay said during a video conference on Monday. "We've got a lot of stuff that we've got to do in the meantime to even be talking about that. But I know he's going to influence this team the right way."