Noteboom confident he can tackle being Rams’ replacement for Andrew Whitworth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Clearly, it is now time for Andrew Whitworth to get together with Joe Noteboom and employ the Vulcan Mind Touch to transmit all his experience, instincts, and football smarts into the younger man's mind. We have a hot playoff campaign underway, and there is no time for hiccups at the all important LT post. JOE, LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!!!

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No sacks of Goff with Joe Noteboom protecting him from the blindside.

Have I said that Noteboom was mostly pure LT yet?

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No sacks of Goff with Joe Noteboom protecting him from the blindside.

Have I said that Noteboom was mostly pure LT yet?

The run game was crap. JPP got involved in a few plays. But Goff was pretty well protected. I'll chalk this week up as a win and not take any advanced decisions from the play. But I can't complain about 'boom today.

MachS

Hall of Fame
The run game was crap. JPP got involved in a few plays. But Goff was pretty well protected. I'll chalk this week up as a win and not take any advanced decisions from the play. But I can't complain about 'boom today.

Pretty sure the run game would've got stopped even with Whit in there, their LBs are just too fast and good for a zone running scheme. Plus our TEs were getting abused on the edge all day. I think Noteboom played well, and his athleticism is evident on the screens.

Psycho_X

Legend
Noteboom should be fine in pass protection. I was concerned about blitz pickup and assignment issues with Edwards but he played good at first glance. But Boom is no where near the run blocker Whit is. Our game will suffer a bit there. I think he’ll be adequate just not all pro level in run game. He just doesn’t attack his blocks but maybe that can be coached up?

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty sure the run game would've got stopped even with Whit in there, their LBs are just too fast and good for a zone running scheme. Plus our TEs were getting abused on the edge all day. I think Noteboom played well, and his athleticism is evident on the screens.
The quality of their Run D is why Im not going to base any decisions on today - other than that Boom was not exposed. Which I take as a good sign.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Hats off to Boom, he played a decent game and I nearly forgot he was in there at times. He has some growing to do but the potential is surely there

oldnotdead

Legend
Go back and watch Boom's feet. He's quick and smooth and he displays good technique in his pass blocking. He's not even a finished product and is still learning his craft. But his pass protection technique is damn good. Any o-line coach will tell you that pass blocking is the hardest thing for o-iinemen to master, and many never really do.....i.e. Havenstein as an example. JPP is a good outside rusher with 8 sacks and he never got a whiff of one against Noteboom. He's only going to get better.

IMO the question is RT. If the Rams are smart they will shift Edwards to RT next year. He has good quick feet and the length to play OT. Move Corbett back to LG and move Evans into RG. Evans has slow feet like Havenstein and lacks the physical metrics you want at OT. But he looks like he would be a pretty good RG.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I was extremely happy that I pretty much was able to forget Boom was replacing Whitworth tonight. First start, on the road, against a top 3 D, and in a prime time game, and he acquitted himself pretty damn nicely. Played a nice game and was not a liability at all. Not Whit but way more than good enough against that D.

Well done, Joe.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Boom did well enough that they didn't focus on him. You didn't see too many overload blitzes to that side and when they did, Goff burned them.

At one point, he was 11/11 against the blitz which took a lot of the wind from their sails.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Go back and watch Boom's feet. He's quick and smooth and he displays good technique in his pass blocking. He's not even a finished product and is still learning his craft. But his pass protection technique is damn good. Any o-line coach will tell you that pass blocking is the hardest thing for o-iinemen to master, and many never really do.....i.e. Havenstein as an example. JPP is a good outside rusher with 8 sacks and he never got a whiff of one against Noteboom. He's only going to get better.

IMO the question is RT. If the Rams are smart they will shift Edwards to RT next year. He has good quick feet and the length to play OT. Move Corbett back to LG and move Evans into RG. Evans has slow feet like Havenstein and lacks the physical metrics you want at OT. But he looks like he would be a pretty good RG.
Why shift everyone around!? Just draft a RT and keep the rest of the OL working on their chemistry. I think OC is more of a need to be honest.

oldnotdead

Legend
Why shift everyone around!? Just draft a RT and keep the rest of the OL working on their chemistry. I think OC is more of a need to be honest.

IMO Edwards was drafted to replace Havenstein (something I have always contended). He still struggles at times at OG and he's a bit too tall for a position that requires playing with leverage. OT's need good feet (as evidenced by Noteboom) and Edwards has the footwork needed for OT. Evans by his physical metrics is an OG and by his play last year would seem to be able to make a good one. Playing him at OG is the Rams way of giving him experience before putting him on an island at OT. Why draft an OT and have to go through the rookie growing pains? Both Evans and Edwards have experience. If Brewer drops a few pounds and works on his footwork he looks like a swing tackle candidate. That isn't to say they won't draft an OT but more likely a late round pick as a developmental swing OT.

IMO Shelton stands a good chance of becoming the Ram's OC. I've watched him at UW and he's got the size, strength and most of all mobility lacking in Blythe. I think they will put Allen and Shelton in competition next offseason for the OC start. Blythe still is overmatched on many one on one blocks, still struggles against stunts and late MIKE blitzes and struggles blocking on the second level.
Austin is overmatched on short yardage runs which is why they are constantly trying to take it outside on those downs.

This roster is clearly better than 2018's and IMO it will be better next year than it is this year. IMO we are looking at the beginnings of a perennial contender franchise.

TexasRam

Legend

Boom did have several solid pass blocks in this game, it was really good to see.

I still need to rewatch the whole game focusing on Boom to give my honest review.

JPP did almost get a sack though. He beat Boom on an inside move but Goff immediately spinned out of the pocket and to his left, Goff then hit the WR (Kupp I believe) for a nice gain.

I can't recall any other pressures Boom gave up but will look. The highlights showed Boom holding up well though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Buc's have a better run D than we do. People criticizing the Rams run game need to realize even with Whit we wouldn't have done much better tonight. Boom was solid, yes he can improve pretty much everybody on the team could have had a better night. But Boom didn't hold us back at all and did well in the pass game. JPP is a damned good pass rusher he'd have one plays vs Whit as well. I'm happy with what we saw tonight from our LT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Boom did well enough that they didn't focus on him. You didn't see too many overload blitzes to that side and when they did, Goff burned them.

At one point, he was 11/11 against the blitz which took a lot of the wind from their sails.
Exactly. Hats off to him, I am very proud of him for how he played (both Boom & Goff for that matter).

The Buc's have a better run D than we do. People criticizing the Rams run game need to realize even with Whit we wouldn't have done much better tonight.
Bucs definitely are an elite run stopping unit but I wouldn't go quite that far as to say Whit & Edwards wouldn't have gotten blocks executed on some of the runs we had. Of course there was dropoff from Whit. The fact that it was only in the run game is a huge win for us too and reflects well on Boom.

Truth is in the middle on this one IMO. No need to take it to where we're convincing ourselves Boom = Whit. He's not there yet. :beer2:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, NOT hearing Noteboom’s name mean he played well. Whew!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. Hats off to him, I am very proud of him for how he played (both Boom & Goff for that matter).

Bucs definitely are an elite run stopping unit but I wouldn't go quite that far as to say Whit & Edwards wouldn't have gotten blocks executed on some of the runs we had. Of course there was dropoff from Whit. The fact that it was only in the run game is a huge win for us too and reflects well on Boom.

Truth is in the middle on this one IMO. No need to take it to where we're convincing ourselves Boom = Whit. He's not there yet. :beer2:
I mean sure they've done the same vs just about every other Oline they went up against, whatever we can do to not give Boom any credit. And Yeah I never said Boom = Whit that's your statement.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Boom did have several solid pass blocks in this game, it was really good to see.

I still need to rewatch the whole game focusing on Boom to give my honest review.

JPP did almost get a sack though. He beat Boom on an inside move but Goff immediately spinned out of the pocket and to his left, Goff then hit the WR (Kupp I believe) for a nice gain.

I can't recall any other pressures Boom gave up but will look. The highlights showed Boom holding up well though.

I plan to rewatch too. When you do, check out the 2 - 3 times he and Edwards communicated well and passed off a blitzer. Nobody got through.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Boom played excellent, just stay healthy Joe and continue your superb play again proving he's a batter tackle than guard.