Noteboom confident he can tackle being Rams’ replacement for Andrew Whitworth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With the well seasoned near 39 yr old LT Andrew Whitworth back giving him some trouble & LG Edwards missing so much practice this week due to injury it's a great time to have Noteboom activated & back in the game. Kromer must truly find out what he has in Noteboom & not wait till next season to find out.

We all have discussed this subject completely but with Noteboom fully healthy there's no reason not to work him in @ LT on early downs.

This offense will be hampered in both the run and pass with Noteboom. From what I saw today he looks the same at Tackle as he does at guard. He's got the same deficiencies, that predictably wouldn't change by a position move.

Is this Boom's 4th year? I would hate to see him play well at LT and then we lose him to free agency. Even next year.... He owes us! -lol

Don't worry about that. When have you seen two tight end sets off left tackle all year?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you focus on him at all? Same trouble holding his blocks in pass pro and locating his blocks on the move in the run game. Did you notice how often they were stacking two tight ends to his side to help?

no to both questions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This offense will be hampered in both the run and pass with Noteboom. From what I saw today he looks the same at Tackle as he does at guard. He's got the same deficiencies, that predictably wouldn't change by a position move.
Well hopefully we won't need to see because Whit will come back off the ropes like the fuckin badass he is.

But if not... Yeah I'll be concerned. He's gonna need some help and maybe a lot of it. I don't see him playing anywhere near Whit's level though I'd love to be wrong on that.

Also replacing someone in-game is a lot different than going into the game as a starter when that other team has gameplanned you in. But anyway I'm still hopeful Whit's gonna be ok.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don’t think he can play Boni.
I don’t think he is salvageable.
Would love to be proven wrong on this.
Would love a plate of crow.
I don’t see it at all with Boom.

Be careful of what you ask for, because here it is. Not sure if you will be eating it,but it has definitely been served!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Joseph Noteboom will now assume the LT starting post after Andrew Whitworth's knee injury in the late 2nd half Sunday. The left side of the OL is now very young & not well seasoned. LG Edwards has played in 25 NFL gms & started 18 of them. LT Noteboom has played in 37 gms & started 8 gms.

RT Havesntein, who playing his 6th NFL season & 28 yr old is now the most seasoned Ram OL'er with Whitworth going down. Center Blythe is also 28 yrs old in his 5th season has started since the 2018 season. Rams starting OL has an average age of 26 yr old & averages 3 yrs starting. This current starting OL is the youngest Ram starting OL in long long time.

It’s all relative. My whole thing was letting it playout until this happened.
(Was hoping to have him on the wings & lock him up) Will see how it goes.

Noteboom has always showed talent. I never understood the bashing of him at LG.

Notebooms rookie season I wanted him to start at RG.The Rams depth was the worst it had ever been IMO because of the Youth.

-Story goes Brown got traded Austin Blythe took over at for the starting spot because of Browns Suspension.
Allen was the backup Center.Demby & Williams both got cut.

Noteboom had trouble with the snap count playing inside.Timing & footwork are key.I’ve always liked Noteboom because he is like a relieve pitcher or a good CB.He moves on the the next play & try’s to compete.

Noteboom to me is a True Professional who will just go to work.He is a natural LT.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I sort of feel like the data is muddy on Noteboom. Which means, I have opinions I am not confident in. The good news; that will get clarity in the weeks ahead.

One data point that is not muddy; Noteboom hasn’t been exactly a pillar of durability in the NFL. We need that to change; right now.

This opportunity is a big one for Joe, and tells the Rams a lot about their long term LT strategy! Go Joe!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well hopefully we won't need to see because Whit will come back off the ropes like the fuckin badass he is.

But if not... Yeah I'll be concerned. He's gonna need some help and maybe a lot of it. I don't see him playing anywhere near Whit's level though I'd love to be wrong on that.

Also replacing someone in-game is a lot different than going into the game as a starter when that other team has gameplanned you in. But anyway I'm still hopeful Whit's gonna be ok.

For Whitworth’s future?

The only thing I’ll guarantee is he will be a Hall Of Fame Player that was one of The Best Ram Free Agent Signings
of All Time!!

My biggest concern is we that his injury history & how that effects his play.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I was curious to how he did. I meant to focus on him but I kept forgetting. My attention didn't draw to him, so I assumed he looked okay. Judging from what some of you say, he didnt preform very well.

Evans played Tackle at Oklahoma...RT, but if Boom struggles....maybe thats an option? Not sure.

fearsomefour

Legend
Be careful of what you ask for, because here it is. Not sure if you will be eating it,but it has definitely been served!
Too early to tell but his response yesterday was certainly encouraging.
Being called off the bench is never easy and Boom responded well.
Next week matchup versus some good pash rushers presents challenges.
I am pulling for him hard, hope he’s up for it.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
All I know is that I didn't curse his name, or really think of it much, after Whit went down. I'd say that is a pretty good sign!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you focus on him at all? Same trouble holding his blocks in pass pro and locating his blocks on the move in the run game. Did you notice how often they were stacking two tight ends to his side to help?
Nope I saw multiple 2 TE and the one 3 TE sets were lined up next to Hav. Never saw multiple TE to Booms side, did see single TE but even Whit gets those.

fearsomefour

Legend
Nope I saw multiple 2 TE and the one 3 TE sets were lined up next to Hav. Never saw multiple TE to Booms side, did see single TE but even Whit gets those.
Rewatched the second half he was good in pass pro.
A lot of quick passes but I do not think McVay changes his offense at all, which is a good sign of trust.
McVay typically doesn’t give much help with TE in pass protect.
He gave almost none to Evans last year at RT.
Boom still struggled doing much of anything in the run game.
He did have a couple of nice blocks on a couple of runs to the left side however.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I guess Whit also needed "help"
1605543397220.png

1605543459781.png

1605543500030.png

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I won't judge anything Noteboom did or didn't do based on half a game. We will see in the coming weeks whether or not he is our future left tackle. One concern is his injury history. I assume Evans is the guy if Noteboom goes down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Noteboom 39 snaps @ LT was good. JN was far better @ his pass blocking, not as good in his run blocking. Yes, there was a small drop off with AW out of the OL. One issue that was commented on was JN's blocking time is short. Performing the crucial blind side LT post for the first time since 2018....JN has a tendency to slides off his blocks early. JN is noticeably less pertinacious in the manner in which he blocks.

On the positive side here in this small first-time example, is JN is a more than capable starting LT who faced the best pass rusher that the Seahawks had in Carlos Dunlap II! Kromer is sure to get his new starting LT up to speed & sharpened up his run blocking technic from that LT post.

With AW going on the IR McVay will have a roster spot on the OL to fill. Rams have been carrying four reserve OL'ers most of the season. We do know that OT Bobby Evans was the first up OG reserve when Edwards was shaken up & missed one snap. Rams only have two OL'ers on the PS at this time & I really do not think either will be called up.

I believe that both rookie Tremayne Anchrum & 2nd season Bobby Evans will remain the exterior reserve OL'ers. Coleman Shelton & Brian Allen to remain the interior reserve OL'ers. Snead/McVay have braced themselves real good going into the last half of the 2020 season in the OL.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I was curious to how he did. I meant to focus on him but I kept forgetting. My attention didn't draw to him, so I assumed he looked okay. Judging from what some of you say, he didnt preform very well.

Evans played Tackle at Oklahoma...RT, but if Boom struggles....maybe thats an option? Not sure.

I expect Boom to be on a short leash. If he struggles at the LT post I would expect McVay to have Evans ready to step in his place. Evans was a stud at RT last season when given the opportunity. I hope that translates to LT if he's called on.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It looks like we're finally going to see what we have in him as a LT.

I'm sure there are going to be some rough moments for him next week, but let's hope he does well enough to show signs that he can be the future LT

RamWoodie

Legend
Before it's all over, I think Notebook is gonna turn alot of heads...the guy is gonna be good and versatile.

The Rams are going up against a pretty good defense at Tampa..and we know Whit's gone.

I think Boom is gonna show well!!!