Noteboom confident he can tackle being Rams’ replacement for Andrew Whitworth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Joe Noteboom has a chance to prove himself as Rams’ current and future LT

Cameron DaSilva
Mon, November 16, 2020, 4:11 PM EST·3 min read

deb6f74a54a9792a1021491c2f887701

The Los Angeles Rams have played exactly one game without Andrew Whitworth since he signed as a free agent in 2017, and it wasn’t because he was injured. It was when the Rams elected to rest their starters in Week 17 of the 2017 season, giving Whitworth the day off.
His durability has been remarkable, especially considering he’s 38 years old and still playing just about every single snap at left tackle. But with Whitworth now likely on the shelf for at least a few weeks, the Rams face the difficult reality of lining up without their stud left tackle blocking Jared Goff’s blindside.

It’s now Joe Noteboom’s turn to step up and prove his worth after a shaky start to his career in the NFL. Bouncing between backup tackle and starting guard has prepared Noteboom to play multiple spots, but it hasn’t exactly made him ready to line up for every snap as a starting left tackle.

He played 34 snaps in Whitworth’s place on Sunday, which was a career-high for him at left tackle. He’s expected to be the starter for as long as Whitworth is out, so his playing time is bound to increase exponentially.

The Rams have said repeatedly that Noteboom was drafted to potentially take Whitworth’s place whenever the veteran retires. Whitworth signed a three-year extension this offseason, but he could walk away from the NFL at any time – especially now that he has to come back from a devastating knee injury.

This is Noteboom’s first and best opportunity to prove he can be a professional left tackle – not only in the immediate future while Whitworth is out, but also in the future. The Rams are running out of time to decide what exactly Noteboom can be in the NFL, making this an important inflexion point in his career.

If he steps up and plays well, just as he did on Sunday against the Seahawks, the Rams can feel better about Whitworth potentially retiring. Ideally, Noteboom would step in as the starter in 2021 and earn a contract extension to keep him around for the long-term.

But there’s also a very real possibility that he struggles and proves to be nothing more than a decent swing tackle. He doesn’t seem to have the traits to be a top guard in the NFL after experiencing some trouble as a starter inside last year, but his best position is certainly offensive tackle.

If Noteboom can’t hold up in Whitworth’s absence, the Rams will be forced to once again evaluate the position. Is Bobby Evans an option? Can David Edwards play left tackle? Would Rob Havenstein flip sides?

It’s not easy to find a great left tackle – the Rams know this well – which is why this Whitworth-less stretch is so important for Noteboom. It could decide the path of his career beyond 2020 and his future with the Rams.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The Rams won and his name was not called, he passed this test, more to come.
No reason not to be optimistic here.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I wish Note was the LT of the future but i'm skeptical due to his super poor play at LG but he didn't do bad yesterday. I hope it works out but I'm glad to see Kromer having Evans waiting in the wings, played LT in college, definitely athletic enough for the position. Also, they seem to really trust/like Anchrum. This team is such a far cry from the Cameron Spikes and John St. Clair days...

Screenshot_20201116-153729_Brave.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was also not exactly one of the Hags finest efforts.
And yet Geno Atkins is a serious pass rusher, don't discount him and Booms effort. Saw Atkins lined up over Boom a lot more than he was over Whitworth.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Havenstein at RT, but if we ever have to rely on him at LT we will be looiking for another QB in the 2021 Draft..

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Havenstein at RT, but if we ever have to rely on him at LT we will be looiking for another QB in the 2021 Draft..
To me he's the most replaceable on the OLine. I'd love to dump his salary and try to upgrade the spot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Watch the details. Don’t read the stats. Watch how long he holds a block and how much trouble he has finding ppl to block on the move. Same thing as at guard.

Since it annoys some of you I’ll leave it at that for a few games and we can revisit. If he ends up being good and doesn’t seriously limit the game plan, then I’ll gladly say I was wrong. He has a few tough matchups in the weeks to come and I expect DC’s and DEs to try to exploit him.

It’s always easy to be wrong about a player that you believe is bad, because the happiness that comes from their good play cancels the pain of eating crow.

(I’ll add that with Goff’s slow Spider sense when it comes to a collapsing pocket really puts the onus on Joe, especially from the blind side.)

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch the details. Don’t read the stats. Watch how long he holds a block and how much trouble he has finding ppl to block on the move. Same thing as at guard.

Since it annoys some of you I’ll leave it at that for a few games and we can revisit. If he ends up being good and doesn’t seriously limit the game plan, then I’ll gladly say I was wrong. He has a few tough matchups in the weeks to come and I expect DC’s and DEs to try to exploit him.

It’s always easy to be wrong about a player that you believe is bad, because the happiness that comes from their good play cancels the pain of eating crow.

(I’ll add that with Goff’s slow Spider sense when it comes to a collapsing pocket really puts the onus on Joe, especially from the blind side.)
To be fair you asked others if they focused on him and if they noticed how often we stacked 2 TEs to his side to help. The answer is twice.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me preface what I’m about to say with I love big whit and understand he’s been invaluable to our team. We would not have had the turn around we did without him. Whit has truly been an iron man and defied the odds playing at this high of a level this late into his career...however, Father Time is undefeated.

That being said, if Whit does retire what does that do to our salary cap? I would think it increases the chances we are able to pay Darius Williams no?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed. And I'll add once again that subbing mid-game is different from being gameplanned by an opposing DC. The test wasn't going in there for Whit vs Seattle it's gonna be the next several games starting with a DC who knows how to pressure QBs.

But never know maybe Boom can get 'er done. Sure would be nice.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sean McVay expresses confidence in Joe Noteboom as Whitworth’s replacement

Cameron DaSilva
Tue, November 17, 2020,
1605658131536.png

There’s simply no easy way to replace a four-time Pro Bowl left tackle like Andrew Whitworth. The Rams haven’t had to since he signed as a free agent in 2017 – until now, that is.

Whitworth went down with a knee injury in Sunday’s game and will miss an estimated 6-8 weeks, though he could return for a playoff run. It’s a huge blow to the Rams offensive line, which has improved dramatically after a difficult year in 2019.

They won’t be bringing in a free agent or poaching someone off a practice squad to take his place at left tackle. Instead, the Rams will give Joe Noteboom a chance to prove himself as Jared Goff’s blindside protector.

Noteboom has eight career starts in the NFL, but all of those came at guard. He has yet to see extended playing time at left tackle since being a third-round pick in 2018. That hasn’t caused Sean McVay to waver on his confidence in Noteboom, putting faith in the third-year lineman as Whitworth’s replacement.

“I think, Joe did a nice job stepping in yesterday,” McVay said Monday. “Coach (Aaron) Kromer has done a great job of developing Joe. Joe’s a guy that has position flex. Obviously, he started at the guard position for us this season and going back to last year, but he was somebody that we always anticipated when we drafted him out of TCU, that he could be a big-time player at the tackle spot. And he’s going to get a lot of great work. We have a lot of confidence in him and I’m looking forward to seeing Joe accumulate some great experience and play at a high level for us starting against the Bucs.”It’s hard to ignore the magnitude of this opportunity for Noteboom. He was originally drafted to potentially replace Whitworth in a year or two if the veteran retired, but he hasn’t been needed because Whitworth is winning his battle with Father Time.

This is Noteboom’s first real chance to prove himself as a future starting left tackle. If Whitworth retires after this season, the door could open for Noteboom to take his place. But that’ll be less likely if Noteboom struggles to close out this season, causing the Rams to look elsewhere for Whitworth’s heir.

McVay is fully aware of the situation, but he doesn’t want to look too far ahead. He doesn’t necessarily view this as an audition for Noteboom.“I think what it is, is it’s an opportunity for him to play right now and we’re going to be present in the moment,” he said. “Joe is a guy that we’ve always anticipated in projected as somebody that we do feel like is a starting-caliber left tackle in this league.

He’s got the length. He’s got the athleticism. I think he’s doing a great job of continuing to, to grow his repertoire in terms of understanding the techniques, the fundamentals that we want to implement and utilize in the run game and protection. I was pleased with him yesterday, but it’s going to be something that you’ll certainly miss Andrew and everything that he means to us. But, whether you look at it as an audition, I think it’s an opportunity for Joe to step up and I expect him to play.”

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Let me preface what I’m about to say with I love big whit and understand he’s been invaluable to our team. We would not have had the turn around we did without him. Whit has truly been an iron man and defied the odds playing at this high of a level this late into his career...however, Father Time is undefeated.

That being said, if Whit does retire what does that do to our salary cap? I would think it increases the chances we are able to pay Darius Williams no?
I am far from being a cap or figures $$$ man but it seems there is a ton of cap $$$ due to AW even if he does not play in 2021. Maybe @flv could help out more on this?