NFL Attendance articles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't turn on the games until about 10 minutes after start time that way I didn't have to listen to it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I've been watching the NFL for about 50 years now and this past weekend is the first time ever I've seen them, when going on commercial break before opening ceremonies, that they put across the screen in big bold letters, NATIONAL ANTHEM COMING RIGHT UP. The agenda was in full swing this past week. Yes, kurtfaulk, the gift of DVR is priceless. I don't have to listen to any drivel and I get to skip all the nauseating commercials.

My gawd how a utterly hate the MSM

Out

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams Are Suffering The NFL’s Worst Attendance Decline In Decades
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...the-nfls-worst-attendance-decline-in-decades/

Los Angeles spent two decades on the NFL sidelines. Then, within the span of 12 months, not one but two teams announced that they would move to L.A.If the more than 13 million residents of the greater Los Angeles area are thrilled to finally have multiple NFL options, they have a funny way of showing it.

Photos posted online from the Los Angeles Rams’ first two home games of this season — the team’s second back in the city — showed what looked like a half-empty Memorial Coliseum. A little more than 12 miles away, the Chargers’ inability to fill the seats in their first home game raised a big red flag.

@tomleykis LA continuing to be pumped about football back here. #Chargers can't even fans to show up to a 27,000 seat high school stadium! pic.twitter.com/gPiqsQ3frp

— Ray Lismon (@Raybeno11) September 17, 2017

This wouldn’t have been shocking — the San Diego Chargers frequently played to empty seats — if it weren’t for the fact that the team’s temporary home is a Major League Soccer venue, the StubHub Center, with a capacity of just 27,167, compared with the average NFL stadium capacity of a little more than 69,000 in 2017. Perhaps even more worrisome is whether the Chargers will be able to fill their planned new stadium in Inglewood, which will hold 70,240. In the Chargers’ debut game, the crowd was apparently very loud, but not all of the noise was for the home team: Many of those cheers reportedly came from the visiting Miami Dolphin fans, at least according to Chargers’ quarterback Philip Rivers.

This lack of apparent enthusiasm has even sparked grumblings that the team might be forced back down the 405 to its old home in San Diego. But lost in the hoopla of this — L.A. fans don’t just give their devotion, teams have to earn it — is that the Chargers’ problems are masking a bigger problem across town. As it stands now, the Rams are on pace for the biggest season-to-season drop in average attendance of any NFL team in 25 years (among teams that didn’t change stadiums). And it’s not even close.

The Rams are on course for a record they won’t be proud of
The largest season-to-season drops in average attendance at NFL stadiums since 1993

YEAR
TEAM CHANGE IN AVG ATTENDANCE STADIUM
2017 L.A. Rams -26,087 Memorial Coliseum
1996 Tampa Bay -17,525 Tampa Stadium
1995 Arizona -15,591 Sun Devil Stadium
2009 Jacksonville -15,516 EverBank Field
2009 Oakland -13,566 Oakland Coliseum
1994 Houston Oilers -12,990 Houston Astrodome
1996 New Orleans -12,324 Superdome
2011 Cincinnati -11,114 Paul Brown Stadium
1998 St. Louis Rams -10,916 The Dome at America’s Center
1996 Atlanta -10,433 Georgia Dome
Attendances are based on regular-season games played at home. Teams playing their first year in a new stadium were not included.
Source: Pro-Football-Reference.com

There are a couple of factors at work here. For starters, the Rams’ first season back in L.A. last year was the most successful of any new team (expansion or relocated team) in 25 years. Among the nine teams in their first year in a new city since 1993, the Rams had the highest single-game attendance (91,046), largest average (84,457) and highest total attendance (591,197).And that’s with just seven home games — the Rams were the designated home team in their game in London against the New York Giants.

">1 To be sure, the huge capacity of the Coliseum — L.A.’s nearly 100-year-old Olympic venue that seats 93,607, most in the NFL — inflated their numbers and gave them a high perch from which to fall.

It’s not unusual for NFL teams in new cities to struggle with attendance in year two when the initial excitement wears off. In 1996 — a year after the season in which the league expanded and the two old Los Angeles teams relocated — the St. Louis Rams, the Oakland Raiders and the Jacksonville Jaguars all saw their average attendances drop from the previous year, albeit by a combined 6,066.

But what’s more mystifying is that the Rams were expected to be a better team this season. After last season’s dismal 4-12 showing, the team had a productive offseason, hiring wunderkind coach Sean McVay, signing Pro-Bowlers in pass-rusher Connor Barwin and tackle Andrew Whitworth, and then trading for Buffalo’s star wide receiver Sammy Watkins to give second-year quarterback Jared Goff a new weapon. If anything, enthusiasm should have been on the rise.

And yet through two games at home, the team is averaging about 58,000 fans per game, down from last season by roughly 26,000 — which is oddly almost the same number as the Chargers have averaged in two games (25,384). Could it be that simple? That there are just 84,000 people in L.A. willing to pay for the NFL?

The Rams have only five home games left this season (that’s because they’re the designated home team in their Week 7 game against the Arizona Cardinals in London). This means that they’ll need to attract an average of roughly 70,000 fans per game from here on out to avoid becoming the team with the worst season-long average attendance decline since 1993. That “record” is currently held by the 1996 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The NFL’s attendance problem in L.A. may reach its most embarrassing level in Weeks 14 and 17, when both the Rams and Chargers play at home. All eyes will be on the city of Los Angeles to see where those 84,000 fans show up.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Gotta disagree with you, Mack. Hockey is the best sport there is, aside from football. Constant action, big hits, great saves, sweet goals. It's amazing, and you should definitely try going to a game.

Well, I'm moving to the Minneapolis area in a year or so, so I'll almost have to start watching...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also, @Mackeyser , if you're moving to Minnesota, you're going to have to become a hockey fan. Just make sure not to become a Chicago Blackhags fan.

Well, I am and no danger about becoming a Chicago fan....or a NJ Devils fan...or a Pittsburgh Penguins fan...or a Flyers or Bruins fan, either.

I'll probably adopt the local team.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams Are Suffering The NFL’s Worst Attendance Decline In Decades
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...the-nfls-worst-attendance-decline-in-decades/

Los Angeles spent two decades on the NFL sidelines. Then, within the span of 12 months, not one but two teams announced that they would move to L.A.If the more than 13 million residents of the greater Los Angeles area are thrilled to finally have multiple NFL options, they have a funny way of showing it.

Photos posted online from the Los Angeles Rams’ first two home games of this season — the team’s second back in the city — showed what looked like a half-empty Memorial Coliseum. A little more than 12 miles away, the Chargers’ inability to fill the seats in their first home game raised a big red flag.

@tomleykis LA continuing to be pumped about football back here. #Chargers can't even fans to show up to a 27,000 seat high school stadium! pic.twitter.com/gPiqsQ3frp

— Ray Lismon (@Raybeno11) September 17, 2017

This wouldn’t have been shocking — the San Diego Chargers frequently played to empty seats — if it weren’t for the fact that the team’s temporary home is a Major League Soccer venue, the StubHub Center, with a capacity of just 27,167, compared with the average NFL stadium capacity of a little more than 69,000 in 2017. Perhaps even more worrisome is whether the Chargers will be able to fill their planned new stadium in Inglewood, which will hold 70,240. In the Chargers’ debut game, the crowd was apparently very loud, but not all of the noise was for the home team: Many of those cheers reportedly came from the visiting Miami Dolphin fans, at least according to Chargers’ quarterback Philip Rivers.

This lack of apparent enthusiasm has even sparked grumblings that the team might be forced back down the 405 to its old home in San Diego. But lost in the hoopla of this — L.A. fans don’t just give their devotion, teams have to earn it — is that the Chargers’ problems are masking a bigger problem across town. As it stands now, the Rams are on pace for the biggest season-to-season drop in average attendance of any NFL team in 25 years (among teams that didn’t change stadiums). And it’s not even close.

The Rams are on course for a record they won’t be proud of
The largest season-to-season drops in average attendance at NFL stadiums since 1993

YEAR
TEAM CHANGE IN AVG ATTENDANCE STADIUM
2017 L.A. Rams -26,087 Memorial Coliseum
1996 Tampa Bay -17,525 Tampa Stadium
1995 Arizona -15,591 Sun Devil Stadium
2009 Jacksonville -15,516 EverBank Field
2009 Oakland -13,566 Oakland Coliseum
1994 Houston Oilers -12,990 Houston Astrodome
1996 New Orleans -12,324 Superdome
2011 Cincinnati -11,114 Paul Brown Stadium
1998 St. Louis Rams -10,916 The Dome at America’s Center
1996 Atlanta -10,433 Georgia Dome
Attendances are based on regular-season games played at home. Teams playing their first year in a new stadium were not included.
Source: Pro-Football-Reference.com

There are a couple of factors at work here. For starters, the Rams’ first season back in L.A. last year was the most successful of any new team (expansion or relocated team) in 25 years. Among the nine teams in their first year in a new city since 1993, the Rams had the highest single-game attendance (91,046), largest average (84,457) and highest total attendance (591,197).And that’s with just seven home games — the Rams were the designated home team in their game in London against the New York Giants.

">1 To be sure, the huge capacity of the Coliseum — L.A.’s nearly 100-year-old Olympic venue that seats 93,607, most in the NFL — inflated their numbers and gave them a high perch from which to fall.

It’s not unusual for NFL teams in new cities to struggle with attendance in year two when the initial excitement wears off. In 1996 — a year after the season in which the league expanded and the two old Los Angeles teams relocated — the St. Louis Rams, the Oakland Raiders and the Jacksonville Jaguars all saw their average attendances drop from the previous year, albeit by a combined 6,066.

But what’s more mystifying is that the Rams were expected to be a better team this season. After last season’s dismal 4-12 showing, the team had a productive offseason, hiring wunderkind coach Sean McVay, signing Pro-Bowlers in pass-rusher Connor Barwin and tackle Andrew Whitworth, and then trading for Buffalo’s star wide receiver Sammy Watkins to give second-year quarterback Jared Goff a new weapon. If anything, enthusiasm should have been on the rise.

And yet through two games at home, the team is averaging about 58,000 fans per game, down from last season by roughly 26,000 — which is oddly almost the same number as the Chargers have averaged in two games (25,384). Could it be that simple? That there are just 84,000 people in L.A. willing to pay for the NFL?

The Rams have only five home games left this season (that’s because they’re the designated home team in their Week 7 game against the Arizona Cardinals in London). This means that they’ll need to attract an average of roughly 70,000 fans per game from here on out to avoid becoming the team with the worst season-long average attendance decline since 1993. That “record” is currently held by the 1996 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The NFL’s attendance problem in L.A. may reach its most embarrassing level in Weeks 14 and 17, when both the Rams and Chargers play at home. All eyes will be on the city of Los Angeles to see where those 84,000 fans show up.
I may have missed it mentioned in the article but even if the Rams sell out each game they'd still have a huge drop after they lowered the amount of seats open for NFL games.

Name
Rambunctious1
Personally, for me, the fact that out of market games are only available to those with Satellite screams greed to me and turns me off the the NFL as a whole. Until the greed stops, my passion will wane. The NFL would be wise to make the games accessible to most people otherwise interest will likely continue to decline. Fans have a hard time getting excited when they have no access to watching their team play.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I love going to Rams games and will probably continue to do so. What I won't do is attend any other games unless someone buys me a ticket. I also have stopped watching any game where one of the teams isn't wearing a helmet with horns on it.

As someone already said. Maybe the NFL should take a page from this site and keep politics from destroying it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As it stands now, the Rams are on pace for the biggest season-to-season drop in average attendance of any NFL team in 25 years (among teams that didn’t change stadiums). And it’s not even close.

That is going to change, given the trajectory this team seems to have right now. Fans are going to start fillin that joint up, just watch.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I'm moving to the Minneapolis area in a year or so, so I'll almost have to start watching...

The Wild are a pretty good organization. Strong coach in place in Boudreau (even though I don't like the dude gotta admit he's a good HC). Strong between the pipes with G Dubnyk. Real good line depth offensively. Their defensive pairings took a hit but I think they're going to have another real strong season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Controversy during the anthem. Kickoff. Commercial. Penalty. Commercial. Penalty. Commercial. Review. Penalty. Commercial.
Most accurate commentary I have seen on the topic
Kudos to you sir!

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Cowboys Stadium (I refuse to call it AT&T Stadium) will never have an attendance problem. I was shocked to see how empty the 49ers stadium was, but they are super fairweather fans, so maybe it's not too shocking.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may have missed it mentioned in the article but even if the Rams sell out each game they'd still have a huge drop after they lowered the amount of seats open for NFL games.
Well they did say this:
And imagine if they included pre-season? Last year was insane attendance for Rams pre-season games