NFL Attendance articles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Patriots love their fans, right?

Patriots apologize after charging fans for tap water
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...gize-charging-fans-tap-water-gillette-stadium

A New England Patriots spokesperson apologized Monday, a day after the team charged fans at least $4.50 for tap water at Gillette Stadium.

With the temperature hitting an unseasonably high 86 degrees in Foxborough, Massachusetts, the team doubled its inventory of water bottles for Sunday's game, the Boston Globe reported. That was almost four times the inventory for an average game.

The problem was that each concession stand could hold only so many bottles.

When the on-hand supply ran dry, fans started asking for cups of tap water -- and, according to numerous tweets, were charged $4.50 or $5 per soda cup. The tap water was the only option available until more bottles could be brought to individual stands throughout the stadium.

View: https://twitter.com/alcurtis48/status/912027852236890112

"We apologize. That should not have happened," Patriots spokesperson Stacey James said in a statement to reporters. "It is the first time that I have ever heard that complaint here. We are looking into the matter to ensure that it doesn't happen again."

The Patriots (2-1) defeated Houston 36-33 in the game.

------
Unrelated:

View: https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/912029495531413504

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
So its really an economic issue..Over priced parking. GTFO, might as well have uber drop off points.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I enjoy going to the games. I love the atmosphere especially when we are scoring some TDs. It does get pricey though but have to get this out of my system before the pricier new stadium rolls around. It also helps that I don’t have any kids yet lol.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are a multitude of reasons for drops in attendance and tv ratings and it's not something that will be an easy fix. It will however create a cascade of problems. With the big drop for a couple years in a row of tv ratings the network contracts will decrease in value. Then profits and salary caps (read players contracts) will go down. Then these rich people, players and owners, will have to get used to making less(not likely) or they'll have to charge the fans even more (likely) which will drive fans away even more.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh and IMO the Coliseum is going to start fillin up. But I greatly enjoyed seeing how the "LAC" can't fill a 27k stadium.

If they were winning and playing well they would be sold out.

Oh and if the prices were decent for tickets and shit too.

This is just based on my observation. But good winning teams will fill the stadiums.

There we have it, the truth.

I would suggest the NFL fix the product on the field first. Get the refs off the tv, reduce their trigger happy flags, stop nerfing defenses.

IMO it's the training camp issue that the union and league agreed on. It makes the first couple of weeks of the season look bad.

This weekend........great games. Everyone is in stride now.

Embrace the internet, and ratings won't be a problem. People are going away from cable.

When this TV deal is over I will bet that the NFL will be PPV.

Patriots love their fans, right?

Patriots apologize after charging fans for tap water
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...gize-charging-fans-tap-water-gillette-stadium

A New England Patriots spokesperson apologized Monday, a day after the team charged fans at least $4.50 for tap water at Gillette Stadium.

With the temperature hitting an unseasonably high 86 degrees in Foxborough, Massachusetts, the team doubled its inventory of water bottles for Sunday's game, the Boston Globe reported. That was almost four times the inventory for an average game.

The problem was that each concession stand could hold only so many bottles.

When the on-hand supply ran dry, fans started asking for cups of tap water -- and, according to numerous tweets, were charged $4.50 or $5 per soda cup. The tap water was the only option available until more bottles could be brought to individual stands throughout the stadium.

View: https://twitter.com/alcurtis48/status/912027852236890112

"We apologize. That should not have happened," Patriots spokesperson Stacey James said in a statement to reporters. "It is the first time that I have ever heard that complaint here. We are looking into the matter to ensure that it doesn't happen again."

The Patriots (2-1) defeated Houston 36-33 in the game.

------
Unrelated:

View: https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/912029495531413504

They apologize after getting in trouble for doing it. Someone directed them to do it.

It won't happen again LOL........seriously it shouldn't have happened this time you fucks.

NFL attendance is down because of the cost, they are fucking themselves over now.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It's a combination of things ...
Politics in sports
Bad media coverage
Ridiculous pricing for tickets and concessions
Bad officiating
Too many commercials.

I think people are getting sick and tired of the message the NFL is sending out.

fearsomefour

Legend
Honestly, if the Rams' stadium was within walking distance of my house, and the tickets were free, I'd probably only go to a few games. It's just been made so much more enjoyable to watch at home. I'd image lots of people feel the same way, but who knows. I also think I'd rather go to training camp to see the players. You'd have a much better chance of talking to them and stuff.
Amen man.
No parking to deal with....and pay through the nose for parking.
No idiot drunks screaming out cursed every 10 seconds (except for me)
No $12 crappy burgers or $8 beers.
No waiting hours to get out of the parking lot.
And the list goes on.
Wanna run some errands in the morning?
Perfect. Record it and watch the first half fast forwarding through the ads.
The NFL has made the tv experience too good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If they were winning and playing well they would be sold out.

Oh and if the prices were decent for tickets and crap too.

It's 27k seats. There is really no good way to spin them not filling that low a seat total. Vinny tries with the "well the battle for LA is going to be for the next decade" approach but it's still not removing the sting that I know Spanos is feeling after abandoning a strong fan base in San Dog (lot lot lot of my friends are in the Navy or ex Navy and stationed down there as well as being rabid Chargers fans) for a weak response in LA.

And I love it btw. F the Chargers. And F Dean Spanos.

Like I have mentioned a couple times, if I am an owner I lower prices on the average seats waaaay down to allow for blue collar fans to fill the seats. I'd even go so far as to give up 5k tickets to poor and disadvantaged in the inner city through different programs or whatever. And the Rams have actually sort of done this btw, at least wrt prices for now while they're in the Coliseum. But at some point the owners need to realize the power of the average joe being at the game in terms of noise at key moments in the game, not to mention the fact that their big money comes from the suites.

This is another thing killing the Chargers. Only people who can afford the tickets have a very low percentage who are good at the making noise and providing energy for the team to feed off. It's like a modern day Metallica concert where the fans are all middle aged jack@$$es like myself sitting there all quiet and nodding to the music. I mean I can't get effed up any more like I used to so I hate going to concerts. But I digress.

If I am Spanos I quit trying to recoup 70k in ticket sales on 27k seats. I lower those prices way the F down and make the game available to the blue collar crowd. Just start there.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Those that have been to a packed stadium for a big game know you can't duplicate that rush at home in the man cave but like said, high prices, congested traffic, sorry parking options, rules watering down the competition, politics seeping in, are tag teaming the experience. I just wish there were a couple dozen Rams fans living where I live so we could throw down on game day. I guess I could get a few blow up dolls to high five on game day? :sneaky:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I was at the barber shop last week. One of the barbers said that part of this could be due to Kaepernick. Now I know that some people I know are boycotting the NFL due to his actions. I cannot believe I am about to say this, but I am with Michael Crabtree, "I am trying to play football, not save the world".

This was my statement, I want to see football on Sunday. The NFL will not decline due to a player's objectives. With that said, I dont believe that is due to the empty seats.

I think it is......at least mostly.
I’m sure there are other factors, but the “kneel” is most of it.
JMHO

Psycho_X

Legend
Someone quick give me a good reason not to lock this thread.

Morbid curiosity?

Embrace the internet, and ratings won't be a problem. People are going away from cable.

This. The number 1 problem with tv ratings is directv is a shitty company with even worse customer service and even worse price packages.

That will only perpetuate the attendance problem though, yeah?

I don't think anyone would truly care as long as they are raking in the billions of dollars in tv revenue. Attendance would moderately fix itself with on field product and better exposure that isn't tied to political and social issues.

When this TV deal is over I will bet that the NFL will be PPV.

Absolutely and they should go to a ppv, streaming kind of service. The NFL has been ahead of the game as far as business models go for the last several decades but they really shit the bed with locking themselves into a long, exclusive tv deal that is locked behind a frustratingly obnoxious pay wall. Once they are able to they need to go to streaming service that doesn't suck (looking at you nfl game pass) that offers single games, packaged games (such as all Rams games live in a season), or every game all season for specific prices.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't think anyone would truly care as long as they are raking in the billions of dollars in tv revenue. Attendance would moderately fix itself with on field product and better exposure that isn't tied to political and social issues.

IMO it's more the cost of the games. The owners have gotten so greedy that the cost of going to a game is more than pretty much any event out there.

Even superstar concerts overall cost aren't as expensive as the NFL. They are pricing themselves out of the game.

It's not talked about much but it's a big reason some fans are staying home.

BadCompany

Rookie

I think that would be true only if they could reliably demonstrate that Spanos could have made more money by charging more. But clearly he can't, as people aren't buying the tickets. Simple math, really. Ten tickets sold for $10 each will make you more money than zero tickets sold at $100 each, right?

You need to find that sweet spot, the highest ticket price that people will pay without saying forget it. If you go too high, you shoot yourself in the foot. Too low, and you miss out on revenue. The question is, of course, what is that sweet spot? It looks like a lot of places are starting to over-estimate their own markets.

CAVEAT: I've never been to an NFL game, but I live in Montreal and am a fan of the Canadiens, who treat their fans pretty much the same way. $12 for a glass of draft beer, $185 to see an exhibition game, etc.. They gouge us, because they can. I stay home, but other people don't, and as long as they fill the arena they will continue to gouge us.