NFL Attendance articles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...tests-rise-and-tv-ratings-slump/#5902b6d54eec

Mike Ozanian
, FORBES STAFF

Towards the end of last season some felt the NFL's ratings dip would be temporary and therefore would not ultimately hurt the networks by forcing them to reimburse advertisers. Instead, the opposite has happened.

Ratings for the the NFL have been worse this season and attendance for some games has also been disappointing. The networks will pay over $5 billion this season to televise the NFL and were already facing unflattering margins on advertising profits. An article in The Hollywood Reporter reckons the drop in NFL ratings could trim the broadcaster's earnings by $200 million. Disney's ESPN, meanwhile, also continues to get hammered by cord-cutting.

It's just two weeks into the 2017 NFL season. But the trend is not good for the league and its networks. No one seems happy.

Follow me on Twitter @MikeOzanian

Last edited by a moderator:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/13/the-nfl-is-seriously-concerned-with-empty-stadiums/

The NFL Is Seriously Concerned With Empty Stadiums
grab-2017-09-10-15h49m59s167.png

4.4kSHARES
TWEET
EMAIL
By: Ryan Phillips | September 13, 2017 4:49 pm ET

Week 1 of the NFL season had plenty of important stories worth following, but maybe the most entertaining was the mostly empty stadiums in Los Angeles and Santa Clara. Both the Los Angeles Ramsand San Francisco 49ers had sparse crowds for their home openers, and that has not gone unnoticed by the NFL.

Follow
Ian Rapoport

✔@RapSheet

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart on the attendance in LA & SF: “Any time we empty seats that something we want to address.” Focused on sellouts.

8:29 AM - Sep 13, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Ian Rapoport’s report (try and say that fast five times) above shows that the league is clearly worried about the optics of half-filled stadiums. And they should be. It’s embarrassing for the league.

This is what the 49ers crowd looked like at the start of the second half in Week 1:

View image on Twitter
DJZRldwVoAAsYsx.jpg:small

Follow
Ann Killion

✔@annkillion

Second half kickoff

3:05 PM - Sep 10, 2017

And here’s what the Rams crowd looked like in the first quarter:

Follow
Clemzingis

✔@TheClemReport

Los Angeles has football fever and they have it BAD

1:10 PM - Sep 10, 2017

Here’s the thing, the NFL’s plans for relocating teams have been hilariously ham-fisted. Moving the 49ers to Santa Clara, 45 minutes from San Francisco was a moronic decision. Levi’s Stadium is also positioned so roughly 70 percent of the stadium bakes in the sun with no chance of shade.

Meanwhile, the Rams might actually have decent attendance once they move into their new stadium, but that’s a huge gamble. Until then, they’ll likely be dealing with sparse crowds at the Coliseum for the next three seasons. It’s terrible optics for the NFL to have empty stadiums and absolutely no atmosphere for games.

No One Showed Up To The Los Angeles Rams Season Opener

And we haven’t even gotten to the Los Angeles Chargers, who haven’t even been able to sellout a 27,000-seat stadium. No one wanted the Chargers in Los Angeles, and it has shown so far. Dean Spanos and his family have consistently claimed they are pleased with ticket sales and “excited” about what’s happened with the franchise in LA, but look at the following picture for the team’s first ever official game in Los Angeles:

chargers-tickets.png

That was taken just before publishing this piece. Everything in color there is a ticket on sale for the team’s Week 2 matchup with the Miami Dolphins. Many of them are “re-sale” tickets that were likely snagged up by brokers when season tickets went on sale. Those brokers will likely aim to sell those seats to opposing fans all season. That graphic is stunning because it comes from just one ticket selling website, and there are several others that each have hundreds of tickets available.

The fact that the Chargers can’t find 27,000 fans to fill their tiny soccer stadium home for their opener in a new city would be shocking if you hadn’t followed this move from the beginning. But, let’s be real: there is zero buzz around the team, fan outreach efforts have been widely mocked and San Diego fans have abandoned the franchise en masse after the way the team’s ownership treated its former city. No matter how much lipstick the NFL tries to put on that situation, it’s always going to look like a pig.

The Chargers Will Fail Spectacularly In Los Angeles

Empty stadiums are a huge deal to the NFL. Yes, the league makes its money off of TV contracts, but when fans aren’t at games it has a detrimental impact on the product. It sends the message that games are boring, uninteresting and that people don’t want to have anything to do with them in person. That kind of message hurts the product as a whole.

Not to mention, players don’t want to play in empty stadiums, so those franchises will suffer when it comes time to lure free agents. That could lead to some teams being buried at the bottom of the league year after year and creating a cycle that leaves fans even less incentive to show up.

This is a major problem for the NFL. Maybe owners around the league will finally realize that their big, bold stadium and relocation plans should actually have more thought attached to them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh and IMO the Coliseum is going to start fillin up. But I greatly enjoyed seeing how the "LAC" can't fill a 27k stadium.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I was at the barber shop last week. One of the barbers said that part of this could be due to Kaepernick. Now I know that some people I know are boycotting the NFL due to his actions. I cannot believe I am about to say this, but I am with Michael Crabtree, "I am trying to play football, not save the world".

This was my statement, I want to see football on Sunday. The NFL will not decline due to a player's objectives. With that said, I dont believe that is due to the empty seats.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Honestly I was so happy that this "stuff" was nowhere to be found on ROD

Look, football is an escape for me

And I'm ok with that

The End

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
This is just based on my observation. But good winning teams will fill the stadiums. Look at the Pats, it’s always sold out. Pats got the Brady touch to Brandin Cook yesterday. Or the Eagles winning against the Giants on that 61 yard FG. As for the Chargers, it was embarrassing when Chiefs fan outnumbered Charger fans 3-1 in the stands. No wonder Philip Rivers threw 3 interceptions like giving away candies. Until the Rams are playing great and blowing teams out, the Coliseum is going to rock and roll with Ram fans. Last year when the Dolphins were at the Coliseum and the Rams offense were threatening to score all you could hear were Dolphin fans chanting “Defense, Defense, Defense”, the Rams were fighting against not only winning their fan base, but also against entrenched other team fan base with a strong winning tradition. As we all know how that game ended. Until teams win consistently, the fans are going to show up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Honestly, if the Rams' stadium was within walking distance of my house, and the tickets were free, I'd probably only go to a few games. It's just been made so much more enjoyable to watch at home. I'd image lots of people feel the same way, but who knows. I also think I'd rather go to training camp to see the players. You'd have a much better chance of talking to them and stuff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would suggest the NFL fix the product on the field first. Get the refs off the tv, reduce their trigger happy flags, stop nerfing defenses.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
My ... The game has gotten to tight with some of the rule changes. Some don't want to sit in a stadium to see the refs control the game for the most part. Some may not want to spend an entire day dealing with traffic, parking, ticket prices, concession costs, etc. The cost to take a family can be pretty expensive. I agree, it's easier to watch the game from the comfort of your living room with some friends and not have to deal with too many logistics on game day... pass me another beer and fire up them brats! :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Embrace the internet, and ratings won't be a problem. People are going away from cable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Embrace the internet, and ratings won't be a problem. People are going away from cable.
That will only perpetuate the attendance problem though, yeah?